Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Poems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Am Not a Painter

but if I could just paint

my eyes on canvas

and name my painting "Sadness"

I'd be famous.

TANYA HOVANESSIAN, a young Armenian poet, died in the 1988 earthquake

Comment

Check out this site http://www.armenianpoets.com some of the elements are pretty good. The author has obviously spent a huge amount of time on this.

Tell me what you think.

Comment

YA VIVA CASTRO

Comment

Very well-made site (armenianpoets.com) I will look at it more in-depth some other day, as I am waaaaay too tired today, but I must asy that QUALITY armenian websites are hard to find. Hats off to the author.

Here's an interesting story about Shiraz. When my dad was studying at the Yerevan Polytechnic around 30 years ago, he saw the author as he was walking down a street with his friend one night. My dad and his friend were quick to greet him "Parev yeghpayr Shiraz, vonts ek" yevayln, but Shiraz obviously drunk, called them "Aghdod tashnagtsagan lrdesner" and started cursing them, and even tried to spit at my dad and his friend. That's when my dad started screaming, telling him that as much as we respect you, you should realy go home,yevayln.

Well, I found the story interesting when my dad told me.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Dants
            Very well-made site (armenianpoets.com) I will look at it more in-depth some other day, as I am waaaaay too tired today, but I must asy that QUALITY armenian websites are hard to find. Hats off to the author.

Here's an interesting story about Shiraz. When my dad was studying at the Yerevan Polytechnic around 30 years ago, he saw the author as he was walking down a street with his friend one night. My dad and his friend were quick to greet him "Parev yeghpayr Shiraz, vonts ek" yevayln, but Shiraz obviously drunk, called them "Aghdod tashnagtsagan lrdesner" and started cursing them, and even tried to spit at my dad and his friend. That's when my dad started screaming, telling him that as much as we respect you, you should realy go home,yevayln.

Well, I found the story interesting when my dad told me.

Well, I found the story interesting when my dad told me.[/quote]

It's true that it's hard to find quality Armenian websites. This one seems to measure up, however it just might be a bit more high tech for something such as just wanting to read poetry this takes a while loading through all of the extensive flash effects. But overall it's a job well done.

The story about Shiraz is indeed interesting, except that I didn't quite comprehend what you wrote in Armenian, I'll tell ya, you western Armos have a funny way of expressing yourself in Armenian, can you translate that to the normal (Eastern) Armenian?

It is quite bitter, but many distinguished Hayer are a bit snobby especially towards their kind. I think that is why there is always that rivalry between Eastern and Western Armenians.

I find that:

1) Eastern Armenians say that Western Armenians corrupt the original Armenian and half of their vocabulary is Turkish in addition they are obnoxiously snobby.

2) Western Armenians say that Eastern Armenians corrupt the original Armenian and half of their vocabulary is Russian anyway; in addition they are obnoxiously loud and low class.

It is sadly funny...the ridiculous preconception

Comment

Bah, I find people's attitudes to be grossly exaggerated. In my point of view, all eastern armenians should have read Baronian, and all western armenians should have read Tumanyan, so nobody has any excuses. It is true that many western armenians use too many turkish words, but many (like my dad) are utterly brilliant

In Yerevan this summer, I expressed myself fairly well in eastern armenian, and one soldier-turned-friend even thought I was a Yerevantsi who had moved to LA, so I guess I'm alright. Of course, since I don't have an opportunity to practice it daily, I am more mistake-prone in eastern. Oh well, I will only get better.

So, the conversation was:
              Dad - Barev enker Shiraz, vonts ek?
              Shiraz - Gnatsek esdeghits, geghdod dashnak lrtesner!

Is that any better? ops:

Comment

Thanks much better, now I can express my emotions fully... Haryur ankam amot, shnork chuni! I no longer shall hold him in such high esteem.

It is rare that you come across fathers of your father's caliber, those that lived in Turkish side. It is commonly said that majority of aristocracy lived in Turkey. The Ottoman held European culture in very high standings at the time; they even enforced French as a second language. Many Armenian refugees that fled to other parts of the world, and I am referring to the older generation, still speak French. I would love to meet some of them; unfortunately I was not lucky enough to come across any.

You are right about the cross readings I even noticed that Eastern and W. Armenians tend to gather in different churches or if they do attend the same they are usually seen in separate groups and corners. Ay VAY!

Comment

Well, my father is born in Syria, and lived and studied in Yerevan for 5 years or so. To my knowledge, he's never been to Turkey. But I know fo many people who haven't even been to Armenia yet and who have a veeeeeery impreesive vocabulary. I will admit that it is much rarer to find them in Bolsahays.

Please, do not hold that story against Shiraz, as he was obviously drunk (just to prove that: my dad never was, nor will he ever be a dashnak) and will always be one of the most-loved authors we will ever have. Even my dad has forgiven him

I do think that friction between Hayastantsi/voch Hayastantsi is greater in California than it is anywhere else, or at least Montreal. Here, we seem to get along alright

Comment

About the hayasdanzi and other armenians in california, i dont think its the youth as much anymore, there is still the i guess problems, but i think with the youth looking forward it would be great for our people.

Comment

Working...
                    X