Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Story and Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Story and Thoughts

I don’t know if you have ever read the real Little Mermaid by Hans Christian Anderson instead of the Disnified version where everyone lives happily ever after once the evil sea witch is destroyed. Don't get me wrong, I like the Disney version, but there is a lot (of bad things) to be said for judging a book by its movie. In the original version, the little mermaid DIES after she is given the option to save herself by killing the prince and decides against it, but then she gets to be a lady of the air for three centuries where if she is good then she gets a soul and goes to heaven instead of being turned into sea foam like all other mermaids when they die.

The first time I read this was when I was in the second grade, and I bawled my head off for days. IT WAS SO UNFAIR. For some reason I have been thinking about the Little Mermaid off and on all day. I think I may need to revisit fairytales, because as a kid, you just take everything literally. Today I was thinking about cultural differences in the Little Mermaid and how an inability to communicate pretty much doomed the relationship. I also thought about how she was willing to sacrifice for something that she really wanted, and even in the end it wasn’t about satisfying her will but instead about expressing her love.

It irritates me that the prince never figured it out that she loved him and that he always saw her as some sort of lap dog or bosom buddy. Then again, I have to question the mermaid’s desire for something so far beyond her reach that she had to self-mutilate. It’s the knives, though, that really made an impression on me. She loved the prince so much that she endured this constant stabbing pain in her legs to be with him, and he was completely oblivious all the while, since she had no way to tell him without a tongue (oh yes – in the real version the witch viciously cuts out her tongue and doesn’t just take her voice by magic). When I was a kid, I always wondered why she couldn’t just DRAW HIM A PICTURE that conveyed the message “Look you goon, for me to be here with you there are knives stabbing me in the legs and I will die if you do not marry me within three days. Also, I love you, and you love me but are too dumb to recognize me or my love. It was I who saved your life, not that other xxxxx who just happened to find you after I did all of the work.”

The moral of the story: women will always do stupid stuff to get men’s attention, and men will always go for the one with the biggest boobs, although a mute is a close second.

Question: Guys, are you really that s-l-o-w when it comes to such things?
    The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Well, I never read the book, but it seems a bit too violent for a 2nd grader to read...

As far as the Disney movie goes, I LOVED IT!

especially the music. Arial had a beautiful voice, and sebastian and his songs were the highlight of the movie

Unda da seaaaaaaaa, unda da seaaaaa, darling its betta' down where it's wetter unda da seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! tana nana na nana nanana, tanana nana nana na na!

I thought Eric was somewhat gay though. Didn't you?

It didint really irritate me that the prince didn't see Arial's love for him, It's just that Arial was a bit naive to fall in love with him so suddenly and so strongly.

Lame like Romeo and Juliet. they fall in love, and die, all in a few days time. LAME!

I disagree with you about women always doing stuff to get men's attention. I mean, you just ignore them, and suddenly they're attracted to you, and won't *%$# OFF!! It's like the forbidden apple thing. lol

Or they think you're playing hard to get, which is rarely the case.

ok, im gonna stop typing.

see ya!

Comment

Aaaah how I love that story! In fact when I was little I remember watching the cartoon on Armenian television, I think it was a Russian cartoon and it was based strictly on the real story by C. Anderson. I remember that every time I watched it 2 emotions always stirred me up: anger and sadness. Sadness -- that the prince was so immensely ignorant of her love for him and her sacrifice. Anger - towards her, for not listening to her sisters and giving up her life for someone who would never appreciate it.

I think that C.Anderson wrote that fairy tale with intent for an adult psychology. It represented woman’s need to make a man happy, and that women are so focused on achieving it, that they often forget about themselves, forget their needs. I know so many women that can relate to that, it a little disturbing. I don’t know perhaps I am taking it too far, but I remember Andersons tales being a little on the adult side with a twist of irony and a twang of a hidden message. CK, it’s a great story, too bad that no one made a movie based on the “real” tale, I wish you would have seen that cartoon, I know you would have been touched, it always got me emotional!

LoL for your interpretation of the moral!

Comment

Re: Story and Thoughts

Originally posted by patlajan
        Question: Guys, are you really that s-l-o-w when it comes to such things?
        The mermaid was a freakin fish . You need to relax. Breathe in.....Breather out....Go to your happy place....aaaaah.....
        Oh my gosh! you ARE that slow!

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Comment

hahaha, you guys should read the freudian interpretations of all our little fairy tales... they're HILARIOUS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mizzcharagigi
            hahaha, you guys should read the freudian interpretations of all our little fairy tales... they're HILARIOUS!!!
            uhmmmmmmmmm. i think you forgot to add the part where we can access such interpretations. for you see, if you don't do that, we can't read and be in on the joke with you... or did you mean we should search for it online? or is there some specific place??

Comment

CkBejug, you just had to go and make me all nostalgic now.

Wow, I miss childhood...I used to watch the Russian cartoon of the real story all the time. Needless to say, I bawled each and every time.

Face it, in the real world, injustice and unfairness reign supreme.

This thread reminds me of that other one Amouse made...something like childhood cartoons. I miss Nu Pogodi, hehe.

Comment

Originally posted by sSsflamesSs
                CkBejug, you just had to go and make me all nostalgic now.

Wow, I miss childhood...I used to watch the Russian cartoon of the real story all the time. Needless to say, I bawled each and every time.

Face it, in the real world, injustice and unfairness reign supreme.

This thread reminds me of that other one Amouse made...something like childhood cartoons. I miss Nu Pogodi, hehe.
                Flames, I remember waking up on Sat. mornings and watching Movies for children or cartoons, I think they were on Saturdays. And my all time favorite was "Tri Oreshka Zolushky" I think it was a Polish film. I used to love the fact that she was so tough and witty as opposed to submissive little Cinderella ( what a wimp!). Nu Pogodi, did you realize was, a complete bite off from Tom and Jerry. I miss those days.

Comment

Originally posted by anileve
                  Nu Pogodi, did you realize was, a complete bite off from Tom and Jerry. I miss those days.
                  Are you saying that Tom and Jerry was created first?

No, Nu Pogodi was a lot more original than that. I loved Tom and Jerry too, though.

Zayac, Volk, Zayac, Volk, Zayac...

Hehehe, I loved that episode (the robot one).

Comment

Originally posted by sSsflamesSs
                    Are you saying that Tom and Jerry was created first?

No, Nu Pogodi was a lot more original than that. I loved Tom and Jerry too, though.

Zayac, Volk, Zayac, Volk, Zayac...

Hehehe, I loved that episode (the robot one).

Nu zayats pogodi! I think T&J was created first. You know what was cool? Do you remember "Spokoyni nochi malishi?" I used to religiously watch it before going to bed. And also "Barigisher yerekhaner" but those puppets were hideous. And the whole show was a bunch of baloney, I mainly waited for cartoons.

And then there were our haykakan multikner...Hishumes? "Vay Kikos, Kikos!" I loved those.

And how about my favorite movie of all times "3+2"? That was awesome; I still watch it from time to time when nostalgia creeps over me.

Comment

Working...
                    X