Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Wowie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wowie

Wowie Wow!

Hi, my name is Lily.
    My family is originally from Yerevan Armenia and i currently reside in Burbank, CA.

I am a professional opera singer and I love what i do. I like quiet evenings at home curled up to a nice book, petting my cat while he dozes off in my lap and drinking breve and chai tea lattes. I spend my free time walking, hiking and enjoying the beautiful views of Los Angeles from Griffith Park's trails and observatory. I have a horrible love for cheesy 80's movies and music. I love classic American muscle cars and spending time running around Los Angeles finding good eats and shabby antiques i can restore. I like cozy cafe's and good conversation and watching the numerous television shows on the bravo network. I'm an old school member of this forum and I'm back to terrorize you :>
    Last edited by Wowie; 09-08-2009, 03:03 PM.

Re: Wowie

welcome back to the forum wowie. I'm a musician too, I play piano (classical and accompaniment) and guitar (usually improvisation/composition/jamming). I also enjoy hiking and walking long distances.

What kind of pieces do you sing in opera?

What kind of antiques do you restore? Wooden furniture?
    Last edited by jgk3; 08-22-2009, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Thank you my dear. Good for you! Improvisation takes a lot of knowledge and skill. You definitely have to have a strong base in order to improvise on top of it, especially jazz.

I sing complete operas, which includes: arias, ariosos, duets, trios, quartets, sextets, ensembles, recitatives and so forth

Currently I am working on the following operas: Bellini's Norma, Rossini’s opera, Semiramede and Donizetti's Lucia di Lammermoor. I am also preparing several Rachmaninoff pieces and various Russian and Czech arias for a competition.

Mostly i like to restore wooden antique furnitures but anything else that comes across to my liking as well: lamps, desks, frames etc.

When you walk long distances, how many miles do you usually do? I just came back in from my usual 5 mile nightly walk.
      Last edited by Wowie; 08-22-2009, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Welcome Back.
        Positive vibes, positive taught

Comment

Originally posted by wowie View Post
          Thank you my dear. Good for you! Improvisation takes a lot of knowledge and skill. You definitely have to have a strong base in order to improvise on top of it, especially jazz.

I sing complete operas, which includes: arias, ariosos, duets, trios, quartets, sextets, ensembles, recitatives and so forth

Currently I am working on the following operas: Bellini's Norma, Rossini’s opera, Semiramede and Donizetti's Lucia di Lammermoor. I am also preparing several Rachmaninoff pieces and various Russian and Czech arias for a competition.

Mostly i like to restore wooden antique furnitures but anything else that comes across to my liking as well: lamps, desks, frames etc.

When you walk long distances, how many miles do you usually do? I just came back in from my usual 5 mile nightly walk.
          Wow... that is so awesome I should check those pieces out on youtube, there are still countless Classical artists to learn more about.

When I go for a walk, I might for for 1 mile, or 10. Depends on where I'm going. I like to read books when I walk. The book's genre/theme and feel add an extra dimension to the roads, buildings and trees. I also like to walk my dog through the woods for a few miles when the mosquitos haven't bad enough to eat us alive.

But 5 miles is a very pleasant experience in the evening.

Comment

Lol You read while walking? Doesn't that make you dizzy? I get sick when i read in the car. Whenever you look down for long periods of time while moving you become queasy. Don't accidentally walk into a lamp post my friend :< If someone were to ask me how Jgk died, i'd have to tell them "Death by Reading"

You're just worried about mosquitoes eating you while in the woods? How about wolves and other various creatures that have fangs and claws?

Some suggestions for your musical appetite and interest:

Maria Callas singing "Casta Diva" from Bellini's Norma
            Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Joan Sutherland singing "Bel raggio lusinghier" from Rossini's Semiramide
            Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Kiri Te Kanawa singing "O quante volte" from I Capuleti e i Montecchi By Bellini
            https://www.vaimusic.com/product/4341.htmlKiri Te Kanawa sings "O quante volte" from I Capuleti e i Montecchi (Bellini)From: VAI DVD 4341 An Evening with Kir...

"The Love Duet" sung by Placido Domingo and Teresa Stratas from Verdi's La Traviata
            Placido Domingo and Teresa Stratas sing the "reconciliation" love duet of Alfredo/Violetta from Act 3 of Verdi's La Traviata.Motion picture version,released ...

Renee Fleming sings "Song to the moon" from Dvorak's Rusalka.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_lbJ...e=channel_page

Anna Netrebko singing Rachmaninov's song opus 4, number 4.

Maria Callas singing Donizetti's "Regnava nel silenzio" from the opera Lucia di Lammermoor
            Maria Callas (1923-1977)Gaetano Donizetti (1797-1848)Regnava nel silenzio...Quando rapito in estasi(Lucia di Lammermoor, act I, scene 2)Philharmonia orchestr...

Montserrat Caballe singing Liu's Aria from Puccini's Turandot

I sing all of these except for the piece from I Capuleti e i Montecchi and La Traviata.

Let me know if you want more suggestions!
            Last edited by Wowie; 09-08-2009, 03:06 PM.

Comment

All I read was... blah, blah, blah, sextets, blah, blah, blah

Walking is a lost daily activity. Imagine how much healthier people would be if malls and airports had stairs instead of escalators.
              Last edited by KanadaHye; 08-23-2009, 03:57 PM.
              "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

sometimes i purposely park my car far away (not only to make sure it doesn't get dinged up) but so i can get some form of exercise into my daily routine. some people spend 30 minutes trying to find a close spot so they won't have to walk...when they could have simply parked a little further and walked an extra block in half the time

Comment

Thats not on, you're suggesting to Dre to drink less and exercise more, he'll need therapy after that vision (j/k)

Anyway, welcome back to the forum,
                  meself love classical music as well, opera too (heart the Maria Callas and Domingo you sent on here), but mostly instrumentals by composers such as Bach, Beethoven, Paganini, etc. also metal and rock, but my fetish is folk music.

You yourself into folk music by chance, sorry but its always nice to meet people interested in folk/traditional music as many dont bother with it anymore and play heartless pop nonsense

I would love hear/see some of the stuff you have restored, my main recording guitar (B.C Rich Warlock) I restored myself, bought it busted up on Ebay and reoutfitted tremolo, added new pickups, resprayed, etc, so that sounds interesting to me , especially antiques being restored is an amazing process that takes alot of work

Also any plans for an album with the opera stuff, I'd be fascinated to listen to some of your music

Comment

lol you read while walking? doesn't that make you dizzy? i get sick when i read in the car. whenever you look down while moving you usually experience that. don't accidentally walk into a lamp post my friend :< if someone were to ask me how my jgk friend died, i'd have to tell them "death by reading"

you're just worried about mosquitoes eating you in the woods? how about wolves and other delicious creatures?

some beautiful suggestions for your musical appetite and interest:

Maria Callas singing "Casta Diva" from Bellini's Norma

Joan Sutherland singing "Bel raggio lusinghier" from Rossini's Semiramide

Kiri Te Kanawa singing "O quante volte" from I Capuleti e i Montecchi By Bellini
                    https://www.vaimusic.com/product/4341.htmlKiri Te Kanawa sings "O quante volte" from I Capuleti e i Montecchi (Bellini)From: VAI DVD 4341 An Evening with Kir...

"The Love Duet" sung by Placido Domingo and Teresa Stratas from Verdi's La Traviata
                    Placido Domingo and Teresa Stratas sing the "reconciliation" love duet of Alfredo/Violetta from Act 3 of Verdi's La Traviata.Motion picture version,released ...

Renee Fleming sings "Song to the moon" from Dvorak's Rusalka.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_lbJ...e=channel_page

Anna Netrebko singing Rachmaninov's song opus 4, number 4.

Maria Callas singing Donizetti's "Regnava nel silenzio" from the opera Lucia di Lammermoor
                    Maria Callas (1923-1977)Gaetano Donizetti (1797-1848)Regnava nel silenzio...Quando rapito in estasi(Lucia di Lammermoor, act I, scene 2)Philharmonia orchestr...

Montserrat Caballe singing Liu's Aria from Puccini's Turandot

I sing all of these except for the piece from I Capuleti e i Montecchi and La Traviata.

Let me know if you want more suggestions!
                    I absolutely loved listening to these songs. You must make many people very happy when they hear you at performances I appreciate the power and the beauty of the human voice better now thanks to hearing those songs.

Oh, and yesterday I walked 10 miles to my university. I read the last 100 pages of a library book and dropped it off. It felt great! I want to turn this into my studying strategy during the fall, before the cold becomes a factor. If I walk to school, I guarantee myself great physical excercise, and a 5 hour slot for reading time It is also a desirable alternative to public transportation, an experience I find often meaningless (mentally draining) and expensive if used on a daily basis. I would rather use it on rainy days, or during winter.

I like walking while I read because I find the physical excercise helps me keep focus and gives me a rythym for reading.

Usually I notice obstructions on my path if they're a couple of yards away, my peripheral vision can catch them. I also depend on my ears a lot, but naturally, I'm sure the risks of getting killed as a pedestrian are raised if I am reading, just not enough to make me give it up. It'll take me a negative experience or two to make me quit, and since I started this wonderful combination of satisfying both my desire for physical excercise and my curiosity, nothing has gone wrong and I've adjusted myself quite well. If anything, I will only grow more prudent towards what's happening in the street, while still enjoying this activity.

All in all, this works for me, and yet is outrageous to many people

Comment

Working...
                    X