Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

The Other Armenia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Other Armenia

INTERVIEW WITH JIRAYR SEFILYAN

[06:23 pm] 22 March, 2007

Commander to Shushi special brigade Jirayr Sefilyan who rejected to bear testimony to Preliminary investigation body, answered to 13 questions posed by group of MPs which investigates causes of his and a freedom fighter, "Motherland and honor" party member Vardan Malkhasyan's imprisonment. We present you with answers by Jirayr Sefilyan received from NSS, without any editorial interference.

1. Please present your autobiography in brief:

I was born in 1967, in Beirut, Lebanon. During the civil war in Lebanon, I took part in the defense activities of the Armenian quarters in Beirut.

In 1990, with the ambition of participating in the Artsakh liberation movement, I moved to Armenia with my family. As a military instructor, I was involved in the formation of self-defense units in Artsakh and Syunik. In 1991, as a military detachment commander I took part in the defense of several districts of Artsakh.

In 1992, one of the first companies of the Artsakh Army was formed on the basis of the Armenian Revolutionary Federation (ARF)/Dashnakcutiun military units. Several months later this company developed into the Shushi brigade of the NKR Army. During the entire duration of the Artsakh war, I led the activities of this brigade in Shushi.

I got married during the war in 1993, after which I returned to Lebanon in 1994 for the birth of my first child. At this time, the ARF was banned in Armenia and so I was only able to return to the homeland in November 1997. From 1997 to 1998 I became the NKR Defense Army brigade Commander.

In 1998 I returned to Yerevan and continued my efforts in civil-political activities. From 2001 till the present, I have been coordinating the activities of the public initiative group, “Protection of the Liberated Territories.” The initiative disagrees with the RA government, especially their defeatist position regarding the Nagorno- Kаrabagh conflict settlement and their readiness to surrender the liberated territories.

Since 2006 we established the Araks-Kur Foundation for Resettlement and Development of Javakhk. The main mission of the Foundation is the settlement of still inhabited areas in Artsakh and the implementation of programs aimed at the consolidation of Armenians living in Javakhk.

In June 2006 my second child was born in Yerevan.

2. Why were you refused Armenian citizenship and what is your current status in the Republic of Armenia?

My first demand for Armenian citizenship in 2003 was left unanswered. According to the law I applied for citizenship once more a year later and was refused with no explanation. I only know that the RA President's office took into consideration the negative response received from the National Security Service.

Before moving to Yerevan and applying for citizenship I tried to get special resident status, which, again, was denied without explanation.

Currently, I have no legal right to stay in Armenia.

3. You have officially been accused of “Calling for armed coup d'etat.”.How would you comment on this?

That is an unfounded allegation and the case is fabricated by political order. I have always talked about the need for regime change, but I do not imagine doing it through violence or armed fighting. Firstly, because I believe there is no need for it. People’s hate for those several individuals in power is so great that it is enough to organize them a little and this administration will leave by itself. In addition, armed resistance is not an effective means of internal struggle. Nobody can secretly store enough weapons to fight the state structure. I am not afraid of guns, but there is no sense in putting the organization at risk of being persecuted by the law. Regarding my speech, I should say that like others, I also have a right to free expression and feel obligated to speak loudly about my political orientations. If the call for regime change is a crime, then it would be possible to prosecute at least half of the Armenian population.

4. The unregistered organization “Union of Armenian Volunteers” is mentioned in the criminal case. What kind of organization is it, what are its goals, and what is your status in the organization?

What does this mean- unregistered? Where is the law requiring registration of a public movement that is not even created yet? Or, generally, who says that registration is mandatory? We did not register the public initiative “Protection of Liberated Territories” either, since we did not feel the need. However, we worked very well, even participated in public hearings at the National Assembly and our report was published in the NA periodical.

As for the “Union of Armenian Volunteers,” I had initiated it together with a group of supporters, because I had a feeling that, despite the existence of many political parties and organizations, there was no well-organized Armenian institution in our motherland that could take care of the country and the people.

5. The speeches made in the December meeting of “Unity of Armenian Volunteers” were published in the media. What did you mean when you made the following statements:

• I agree, let’s not differentiate the means for resistance;

• The opposition will not achieve results with peaceful demonstrations;

• If necessary, we’ll force the opposition to get organized.

“I agree, let’s not differentiate the means for resistance,” was a reflection on 2-3 speeches made during the meeting, where I felt frustrated by the traditional means of opposition struggle. And that is natural, since the will of the people has been ignored for years. The opposition had several actual victories, but failed to maintain them. You might even say that it was not allowed to maintain these victories. However, the people place their hope not on the mercy of the regime in power, but on the determination of the opposition leaders. Seeing that “peaceful” opposition demonstrations do not bring results, people start considering more extreme means. However, I believe this is due to inadequate mobilization of the opposition and the people, and not to the means of resistance. If we could achieve adequate mobilization there would be no need for extreme steps, because, when people are organized, when they can catch the hand of falsifiers in all electoral districts, and later catch the hand of those beating them, the state will not apply more forceful methods. Therefore, the opposition should be united.

Unfortunately, this is difficult. We want to create such a national force, which being powerful but not pretentious, could have a critical influence on the opposition forces and limit the unconstructive behavior of certain leaders. That is what I meant when I said, “to force the opposition.”

6. Is it true that you owned a military gun?

The “Makarov” gun was an award that I received from the army command. As an officer, I have constantly carried a gun, since 1990. However, I have never shot into the ceiling, like others have, and my nickname is not “Shooting Jiro.” Nor have I ever demonstrated that I carry a gun.

7. Have you ever been warned about possibly being arrested? From whom and what were the justifications?

I had been warned, not only on the day of my arrest and a few hours before, but also on December 4th. One of my buddies (whose name I don’t want to mention) met me to tell me that the National Security Service (NSS) wanted to arrest me, because “we are very active.” On the day of the arrest, Vano (Vahan Aroyan) also informed me via two phone calls a few hours before I was arrested. The justification was that “they want to deport.” These two individuals have many acquaintances in the NSS.

8. Under what circumstances did you meet Vahan Aroyan and what kind of relationship did you have with him?

We were in the same unit during liberation movements in Shushi. After the war we continued communicating as friends from combat. We also have some mutual friends.

9. Were you aware that he keeps weapons?

I wasn’t aware. But Vano is my combat friend and I am sure that he has never used those weapons for wrongdoing.

10. What do you know about the connections that Vahan Aroyan has with the NSS, Ministry of Internal Affairs, and other military services/tructures?

I suppose that Vano had close relationships with many people from the NSS. Living next to the border, he had free entrance and exit bars. As far as I know, the commanders on the border ask for his help on a regular basis. I am sure, and it has also been mentioned on TV, that Vano has been participating in several operations on the border. He also has many acquaintances in the police force.

11. Have you had connections/meetings with employees of the National Security Service?

During the last 5-6 years I have been invited to the NSS a couple of times. In every case, the reason for the meetings whereas been my public activities and oppositional views, as well as my connections with opposition leaders. The last time I was invited there was March 2006. I was threatened to be deported from the country if I didn’t stop my activities. The official reason was my personal perspective on Javakhk, but in the end the real reason turned out to be my speeches on the famous couple. My answer was that my activities are not illegal and that I have been, and will be active concerning national issues. There were always at least 2 people present at each of the meetings. I was also taken to “Krakem Hrach” (Shooting Hrach) who knew me previously, but was keeping a certain distance. He also started attacking the opposition in his speech, saying: “what is your business with them, who are they? You can’t even imagine how strong we are…we are going to suppress them,” while gesturing with his hands how they are going to do it. During all of our meetings, I have clearly notified them that I will continue my actions and no one has the right to forbid me from doing so.

12. What, in your opinion, are the real motives for bringing you before a court?

The famous duet has more than one reason to neutralize me. As a result of the work carried out in the course of the past several years, a certain atmosphere has been created in Armenia, due to which the transfer of the liberated territories has become impossible. The forces impeding transfer of the above mentioned territories are largely associated with my name. Thus, it may seem to some people that they can defeat the will of those who oppose this traitorous deal by means of putting me into jail. I don’t believe that at this pre-election stage anyone would take the risk of transferring the territories. However, later, the authorities, when through certain fabrications, succeed to return, would have to make concessions regarding the Nagorno- Karabagh issue due to pressure and criticism by the international community. The administration would then take the risk and try to make a deal over the territories.

Another case of treason is already taking place in Javakhk. Under the regional communication program, Georgia has basically surrendered the territory of Javakhk to Turkey and the Turks. Such people like Oskanyan raise weak objections only over the Kars -Akhalkalak project, but in the end are in agreement with this fact too.And the National Security Service, due to a plea on the part of the Georgian Government, helped to undermine the powers that had a real chance at making Kars Akhalkalak and other Panturkistic projects fail. Naturally, we could not but cooperate with the national forces of Javakhk. Some people may think that by arresting me they deprive our friends in Javakhk of strong backing.

However, my arrest is not motivated by either the Javakhk nor the Nagorno-Karabagh issues. The primary reason is the upcoming elections. We fully realize that the situation that will be created after these elections is essential, both for Javakhk and for Karabagh. Besides, the issue of improvement of the moral atmosphere in the country is especially urgent. Thus, we had, to a certain extent, prepared and openly announced that we intend to make the forging hand stop and not allow them to threaten people. To that end, it was necessary to consolidate our efforts and we had started working in that direction. We did not have any expectations from these elections, but we were consolidating to serve the people. That was the main goal of our consolidation and the fresh concept that scared the authorities.

Besides, we were communicating intensely with the opposition and had a certain influence on them. Our contacts were rather close with some of them and the authorities that try to get return could have smelled danger in this too.

13. If there is certain political “game” taking place, who do you think are the interested parties?

There is definitely a political “game” and the famous duet shares the responsibility.

Commander Sefilyan and the Armenian Authorities

Commander Sefilyan is an “Undesirable” in the Eyes of the Authorities

Vahe Sarukhanyan May 26, 2008

On May 19th the support committee for jailed freedom fighters Jirayr Sefilyan and Vardan Malkhasyan announced that, “we’ve received troubling signals regarding Jirayr Sefilyan in that the regime is preparing to execute the next in its long list of foul deeds by deporting the noted commander of the Artsakh War from the fatherland.”

Just a few days ago the Chief Mkhitaryan of the Legal Security Division of the ROA Police Department petitioned Armenia’s Administrative Court to sanction the deportation of Sefilyan. On May 23rd Vahe Grigoryan, Sefilyan’s lawyer, was handed the legal documentation officially dated as of the 21st of this month.

It is interesting to note that on the same day, May 21st, Justice Minister Gevorg Danielyan, while answering a question posed by National Assembly Delegate Zaruhi Postanjyan, declared that, “Let me state directly that given Sefilyan’s current status, naturally there is no basis on which to grant him citizenship.’ According to assurances given by the Minister there were no plans underway to deport Sefilyan at the time. The Minister added however that, “If a basis for such a procedure were to appear in the future, the issue would be taken under review.”

On May 23rd a group of organizations petitioned the authorities regarding putting a halt to the political persecution of Sefilyan and to see fit to grant him the legal right to reside in Armenia. These groups also directed their appeal to several international bodies as well.

Jirayr Sefilyan, a Lebanese citizen who commanded a special military unit that participated in the liberation of Shushi, was arrested on December 9, 2006 and again on August 6, 2007, on charges of possessing an illegal firearm and was sentenced to 18 months imprisonment. Also charged at the same time and sentenced to 2 years imprisonment was freedom fighter Vardan Malkhasyan as well as Vahan Aroyan, who was initially sentenced to 18 months incarceration. A review court lengthened the latter’s sentence to 2 years. (See: http://www.hetq.am/eng/court/529/)

Jirayr Sefilyan earned the military rank of lieutenant colonel and has been honored with the “Military Cross, 1st Order; commendations from the “Defense of the Liberated Territories” and “Unity of Armenian Volunteers” civic organizations. He is also President of the Board of Trustees of the “Araks-Kur” Foundation.

Mr. Sefilyan is to be released from the Vardashen Prison on June 9th but it appears that the Armenian authorities have found a way to “free” themselves of this opposition activist. Back in December 2006 Sefilyan announced that they were ready to clamp down on the hands of those preparing to subvert the 2007 parliamentary elections. He was arrested immediately afterwards and then imprisoned after the elections. During this time Mr. Sefilyan’s mother passed away in Beirut. The administration of the Vardashen Prison continuously refused to intercede on behalf of Sefilyan and Malkhasyan and petition the parole board for their early release. During the recent presidential elections, Sefilyan, a former member of the ARF-D, actively supported the candidacy of Levon Ter-Petrosyan and the National Movement, through his writings and statements made from his prison cell. In a recent interview that appeared in the newspaper “Haykakan Zhamanak” Sefilyan stated, “The work of this national movement to oust this clearly criminal regime must continue until victory...Our supporters must seriously discuss what our next concrete steps will be that will ultimately lead to a unified set of decisions. Soon after I am released we will use the media to notify and invite the people, especially our old and new supporters, to a public advisory meeting where we will discuss our upcoming plan of action.” The response of the authorities to these statements was quick in coming.

Mr. Sefilyan first came to Armenia in July of 1990 but only applied for citizenship in 2003. (The Constitution of Armenia states that individuals of Armenian extraction can obtain citizenship quite matter-of-factly). His applications for citizenship in 2003 and 2005 went unanswered and were denied without substantiation in 2004, 2006 and 2008. Today, Sefilyan remains in Armenia without any official status simply because he’s never been granted any. It is on this basis that the Armenian authorities seek to have him deported. However, according to Article 32, Point 2, of the ROA law concerning foreign nationals, “a foreign national cannot be deported from the ROA if there are underage children under his/her care.” Mr. Sefilyan has two sons residing in Yerevan, 14 month-old Peto and 2 year-old Vahagn. Mr. Sefilyan’s wife, Nanor Barseghyan, who also has been denied citizenship, works at the Lebanese Embassy in Yerevan. It is only because of this that she has received residency status.

Mr. Sefilyan’s lawyer, Vahe Grigoryan, has stated that they will appeal the decision of the police, a step that will temporarily halt the deportation process. Mr. Sefilyan would by law have to be granted temporary residency status if the court sees fit to dismiss the claim of the police; which would mean going against the wishes of the “higher-ups”. If the court were to decide to deport Mr. Sefilyan, his name would then be entered in the “black list” of Armenia’s undesirables.

Nanor Barseghyan says, “There is no rule of law in Armenia and thus his deportation can’t be excluded.” She defiantly adds that, “We will fight everywhere and in every manner.” As to the question whether she and the kids would possibly leave Armenia voluntarily if Jirayr were to be deported, Nanor responded, “No, why would we? My work is here and the children go to school here, they don’t speak a word of Arabic. I’m staying here just to spite Robik and Serzhik. This is our country as well...”

On May 22nd the famous Artsakh War commander petitioned Bako Sahakyan, President of the NKR, to grant him Karabakh citizenship. President Sahakyan has yet to respond to this request. The Shushi “Special Forces” commander petitioned for Karabakh citizenship last year as well. At that time the NKR government responded by stating that his appeal would be reviewed only after the law “regarding NKR citizenship” had been passed and ratified.

Open letter

addressed to:

RA President Serge Sargsyan
    RA NA Speaker Tigran Torosyan
    RA PM Tigran Sargsyan
    NKR President Bako Sahakyan
    RA Human Rights Defender Armen Harutyunyan
    RA Chief of Police Hayk Harutyunyan
    RA Director of National Security Service Gorik Hakobyan
    RA General Prosecutor Aghvan Hovsepyan
    CoE Human Rights Commissioner Thomas Hammarberg
    CoE Secretary General Terry Davis
    H.E. Ambassador of Lebanon in the RA
    H.E. Ambassador of France in the RA
    H.E. Ambassador of the USA in the RA
    Human Rights Watch international human rights organization

Since December 9, 2006 Zhirayr Sefilian, a citizen of Lebanon, who lives in Armenia for about 17 years now, is under the arrest, as a result of political persecution by the state of Armenia. In June 9, 2008 his term in prison will be over. Zhirayr Sefilian has requested the state authorities of the Republic of Armenia for granting his citizenship of the RA. The request has been denied without any valid reasons. Ethnic Armenians can be granted Armenian citizenship based on the current legislation through a simplified procedure. Alas the law was not applied in this case for the famous freedom fighter.

Since April 2008 the mass media means have been spreading news about the Armenian authorities preparing to expel Zhirayr Sefilian from Armenia. And on May 21, 2008 RA Police provoke a case to Administrative court regarding the expel of Zhirayr Sefilyan. Taken into account the fact that Zhirayr Sefilian in order to be able to live in Armenia, as per RA legislation, should have either special resident permit or be granted RA citizenship, the current regime refused to grant one of the Shushi heroes, either a special resident permit or citizenship.

Zhirayr Sefilian is married and has two sons: Peto Sefilian (born in 1994 in Beirut) and Vahagn Sefilian (born in 2006 in Yerevan). The wife of illegally arrested patriot Mrs. Nanor Sefilian is working as an assistant to the Ambassador of Lebanon in the RA and is covered with all diplomatic privileges and immunities stipulated in April 18, 1961 Vienna convention.

The Sefilian family living in Armenia for about 17 years has became a fully integrated part of the Armenian society and posses real estate. The elder son is studying in the secondary school. Both sons speak only Armenian. Zhirayr Sefilian has military title of colonel-lieutenant of military force of Armenia. He is a famous public activist. Despite this the Sefilian family does not have any real estate, source of income and other means for living in Lebanon.

With the approach of not granting a special resident permit or citizenship to Zhirayr Sefilian as well as by provoking the case regarding his expelling, the state authorities of Armenia de facto are forcing the family to make a choice by either living separately or to go to Lebanon, where the lack of proper means for living would have a negative reflection on the future lives of patriotic family members. It is a well known fact that due to civil war in Lebanon many Lebanese Armenians had to leave the country.

Thus we demand from the RA authorities to:

- Stop continuous and ongoing political persecution against Zhirayr Sefilian,
    - Grant permission to Zhirayr Sefilian to live in Armenia.

We also demand from the international relevant organizations to:

- Immediately react by initiating specific steps to prevent or stop the political persecutions of the RA authorities against someone who has a contribution in creating democratic values in Armenia and who has became a victim for his views as well as not to permit his expulsion from Armenia, which would a strong violation of human rights.

“Zhirayr Sefilian protection” team
    NA Deputy Zaruhi Postanjyan
    “Advocates for Human Rights” NGO, Seda Melikyan
    “Huis” NGO, Lala Aslikyan
    “Asparez” Journalists’ Club, Levon Barseghyan
    “Zartonk-89” NGO, Silva Vardanyan
    “Sksel a” youth movement, Arsen Kharatyan
    Last edited by TomServo; 06-07-2008, 07:47 PM.

Comment

KGB influence in Armenia

Sunday, June 1, 2008

Davit K.: Getting out from under the KGB's boot.

Generally speaking, this piece seems more ambiguous than Pashinian's articles, although whether the ambiguity is strictly the result of ambiguous referents and not-explicit connections between ideas, and so on, or whether it is the result of my not having a good background on the topic of the KGB in Armenia, I can't say. Probably a bit of both. In any case, the article does relate several good bits of information on the topic, and it is, ultimately, a public call to release the names of pre-independence KGB agents residing in Armenia, which makes it a historical document.

Update: Thanks to nazarian for clearing up the mystery regarding "Totafelov": It was really "Totapelov," or throwing something off.

Davit K.: Getting out from under the KGB's boot.

The opportunity lost by the governments of the 90s that was perhaps the gravest concerns the fact that the political will necessary to revealing the identities of the Soviet KGB agents living among us and operating in the shadows never manifested itself.

Had it been taken, that action, which met with success in other--especially Baltic--countries, would have cleansed our public, and the most important positions in the nation would not have been entrusted to the minions of foreign intelligence agencies. The NSS [National Security Service] of independent Armenia would not have become the spiritual successor of the KGB, but would have been formed anew and founded on national values and interests. And the methods that it puts into practice would have likewise not become beri-like [2]. And after the publication of their names, the very agents of the KGB, themselves, would have felt a great weight being lifted off their shoulders and would not have become the victims of blackmail and compromise that they remain to this day. Victims and slaves--as much of the leaders of Armenia as they are of foreign intelligence agencies.

In accordance with the same considerations, I do not welcome the fact that the same governments of the 90s made wide use of the services of the former Communist Party's nomenklatura [3]. That practice engendered people like Constitution-transgressor Gagik Harutiunian, Christianly plunderer Khosrov Harutiunian... And I'm not talking about the various and sundry little helpers of the helper in the parktoms and shurjkoms [4]. And, by the way, those who sought positions from the leadership of the PNM [5] used to inspire contempt, during their informal meetings and in their surroundings, toward the PNM and the values it espoused. And that violent barking continues to this day--except, now, overtly. People like that serve with the mentality of a slave whatever government; today, they have become the criminal government's reliable crutch.

Honorable Levon Ter-Petrossian, after you prove victorious in this, our, just war and re-establish freedom, I recommend that with one of your first executive orders you order the disclosure of the names of all pre-independence KGB agents residing in Armenia. I believe that that does not in any way endanger the safety of our country or the current operations of the NSS.

P.S. Among the ranks of those working with the KGB, the upper class of the traditional ARF occupies its own unique position. I suggest to the self-stimulating [6] Hrand Markarian that, instead of inventing stories and vulgarly lying about the national movement's [supposed] resorting to foreign powers, he get out of his biotsitoz-like [7] state and familiarize himself with the biographies of operatives of the modern ARF. It is not possible to respect the ideals of the ARF's rank-and-file and fail to remember the undeniable fact that, in the 90s, the ARF was an organization being governed from other shores [8].

[1] The author uses the Russian "sabog": boot, jackboot.
      [2] բերիական, beriakan. I'm guessing "beri" is a reference to a person. If someone knows what the author means by this word, please let me know.
      [3] The nomenklatura were a bureaucratic elite that basically ran the Soviet Union through their exclusive power of appointing people to various posts. A patron-client system obtained among them, and the higher-ups could pretty much do anything they wanted, short of crossing their patrons.
      [4] In the USSR, the partkoms were the lower-level committees directly subordinate to higher-level committees and ultimately the Central Committee of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union. Partkom simply means "party committee." Shurjkom substitutes the Armenian word "shurj" for what I think is the Russian raikom, or district committee.
      [5] Levon Ter-Petrossian's Pan Armenian National Movement, active between 1989 and 1998.
      [6] In his article below, Pashinian says Hrand Markarian looked like he was on the recreational drug ecstasy during the ARF General Conference.
      [7] բիոցիտոզային, biotsitozain. I'm inclined to think that this word is either Russian slang or contains a typo. I haven't a clue what it could possibly mean, except through context. It's also possible that it's a Turkish word.
      [8] The ARF's connections to the CIA are a documented fact established by historians, although the author of this piece doesn't, of course, mention the US and might be thinking about other countries.
      Last edited by TomServo; 06-07-2008, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Opposition and War with Azerbaijan

Friday, June 6, 2008

The Opposition and War with Azerbaijan in Context

Pashinian's interview below was published on March 3rd. Much of the original was about his account of what happened on the 1st, an account that he reproduces and adds to in his detailed "Analytical essay" that I've translated (you can access all six parts by checking under the April tab on the right); I'm therefore not going to translate that part of the interview, but rest of it, where Pashinian talks about the relationship between the Gharabagh issue and the current government's efforts to hang on to power.

With the sit-ins scheduled to begin again on June 20th, I have decided to revisit the possibility that Sargsyan and Kocharyan might attempt to rekindle the war in order to be able to declare a period of martial law that, as Pashinian points out, could "legally" last as long as 6 months--even a year.

I want to know how likely it is that such a war will break out and, if it does, what it might mean in the context of the global geopolitical struggles being waged today, twenty some odd years after the breakup of the Soviet Union and neck deep into Haliburton Stalinism. Two related bits of news in particular make me think that such a war is a distinct possibility, even though Pashinian says he thinks Russia and the west won't let Kocharyan and Sargsyan go that far. The first is a Eurasianet quote of Rudolf Perina, US envoy to Armenia, addressing in a very ambiguous way the possibility of the US's coming to see anti-Azerbaijani fighters in Gharabagh as terrorists:

EurasiaNet: How does official Washington regard the idea of dispatching US trainers to Azerbaijan for fighting terrorists in Nagorno-Karabakh?
        Perina: I know the notion "terrorism" has been used in a wide sense. By "terrorism," the US means specific problems, for instance, [terrorist] organizations and persons supporting these organizations. We know very well what we mean by "terrorism".

The ambiguity of the answer makes it that much more creepy. I came across this article while looking into the background of Rudolf Perina, who, it turns out, has more neocon connections than Liberace had rhinestones: educated at the University of Chicago the same time Wolfowitz was there and Leo Strauss's and Milton Friedman's influence were rife, wrote his doctoral dissertation/hagiography on anti-Soviet Prague Spring dissident authors, entered government service to check Soviet power in East Europe around the same time that Richard Perle and Paul Wolfowitz became aids to Henry Jackson, anti-Soviet paranoiac. (I wrote about Perina in a comment on Onnik Krikorian's site about a year ago. I can't find it, but maybe Onnik has access to it.)

Rudolf Perina served in Serbia (or thereabouts) right up to when war broke out in the 90s. His expertise is in Turkish/Christian regions that are under threat of war and where NATO/the US have an interest. Note that it was under his watch that the US provoked the Serbs into attacking Kosovar Albanians by arming and funding the KLA and having them attack the Serbs and do things like commit mass rapes; once the Serbs had had enough and started fighting back, the US (and the usual suspects) concocted the story of Serbian genocide and used it as an excuse to bomb the Serbs back to the stone-age, for "humanitarian" reasons. That's what Perina specializes in. Pennington's (US Embassy charge d'affairs) credentials are, unsurprisingly, quite similar.

Clearly, these people's background is bad enough already. Coupled with Perina's innuendos about terrorism and Armenia, their task seems to be ensuring--for reasons very different from Kocharian's--that his martial-law scenario becomes a reality, one that neatly fits into the Project for a New American Century (PNAC), i.e., the horrendous mess that is Iraq and Afghanistan.

The second bit of news that fits in with this line of thinking is the recently recurring story about PKK presence in Gharabagh and Azeri presence in Turkey, near its border with Iraqi-Kurdistan. The long-term goal of all of this internationalizing of the Iraq war seems to be US/NATO expansion into Russia--through a war fought by proxies on both sides. Just in case it is not clear, I am talking about a new Vietnam: a proxy war between China and the US. And that is exactly what a second war between Armenia and Azerbaijan will be: a proxy war between the US/NATO and Russia. About the only thing that Armenia has on its side is that the formation of loyalties and interests of the parties involved is so thoroughly byzantine that it would outdo a Philip xxxx novel--or so they say, depending on whom you believe....

Will the US and NATO actually try forcing their way into Russia? US foreign policy experts, such as Brzezinski, are on record saying that the US should expand its influence into Eurasia and Central Asia; the PNAC calls for such unabashedly imperial expansion; Iraq was an important Russian ally in West Asia; and the color revolutions as well as Kosovo represent nothing less than a track record of the US doing so. The real question is whether anything can slow them down or stop them. Indeed, they have to take things one step at a time and solve their Iraqi mess first (or at least those US interests that want stability do, anyway; the neocons, for their part, don't care: they have a philosophical commitment to war as a means of controlling the public and keeping it psychologically "fit"). In this regard, what happens in Iraqi-Kurdistan, and Iraq and Afghanistan in general, is of extreme importance to Armenia.

It is in this context that I put the entire conflict between the Opposition and Sargsyan/Kocharian. Many people think that in this conflict between US/NATO and Russia Ter-Petrossian is an agent of the former. That is not the case, although the fact that they are both struggling against the same force might make it seem like they have the same essential interests. This, however, is the decisive consideration in my decision to support Ter-Petrossian: Ter-Petrossian wants to kick Russian-backed Kocharian and Sargsyan out of Armenia--not for the sake of the US, but for the sake of real Armenian independence, which, in practical terms, means Armenians gaining control over their own ministry of intelligence (called the National-Security Service), the nervous system of the independence of any nation. As Pashinian has pointed out numerous times, Armenia's NSS today is a veritable hive of KGB-era spies looking out for the interests of an out-of-control mafia-esque network that is fiddling with the trigger of a new war, a war that could have consequences far, far beyond Sargsyan's and Kocharyan's puny lives.

In the final analysis, I haven't seen any evidence that suggests that Ter-Petrossian is working for US/NATO interests, but I have seen plenty of evidence that the Kocharian-Sargsyan network is thoroughly corrupt, out of control, and under the influence of Russia; therefore, if the Opposition prevails, there is a chance that Ter-Petrossian will prove through his deeds to be loyal to Armenia, but if the Opposition fails, we will never get to find out whether Armenia could have gained real independence, and Armenians will continue to languish under tyranny. The choice is clear: the Opposition might bring independence; the status quo will definitely bring more tyranny.

Unfortunately, there are many people who harbor a bizarre kind of personal hatred against Ter-Petrossian. They refer to him by his first name, as if he were a personal acquaintance of theirs, and treat him as if he were a used-car salesman that has sold them a lemon (I suspect that ARF propaganda from 1996 is at the root of this attitude). These same people don't harbor such feelings toward Pashinian, however, and Pashinian has said and done things that have proven to me that he is a natural at the game. Maybe Pashinian is the one destined to pull Armenia back from the brink of catastrophe, after all.

Pashinian: War with Azerbaijan.

Q. News arrived only yesterday that quite a tense situation obtains at the border between Gharabagh and Azerbaijan. In your opinion, what do those actions mean: Does an immediate threat of war exist?

A. Robert Kocharian and Serzh Sargsyan know very well that the minute the tanks leave the streets of Yerevan they will no longer be in power. The state of emergency declared by [Kocharian] is illegal, because the Constitution clearly states that the legal regime [1] in a state of emergency is governed by laws, whereas Robert Kocharian has defined a legal regime through his executive order, meaning that the legal regime, the censorship, the closure of newspapers, and all of the rest of the restrictions are illegal. Robert Kocharian's state of emergency cannot last very long; it has been slated for 20 days. In order for him to be able to keep his tank regime going, a state of emergency is indispensable to Robert Kocharian, and declaring martial law is conducive to having that. And I think that is one of Kocharian's scenarios: provoking clashes on the border which will make it possible to establish legally sanctioned martial law in Armenia that can last six months, a year. That would make it possible for him to continue acting as President, because Presidential elections are not held during periods of martial law and the sitting president continues in that capacity. I think that this is one of Robert Kocharian's spare scenarios.

Q. Immediately after the border clashes, NATO's special representative, Robert Simions, said that he is ready to facilitate the treaty upon the re-establishment of peace along the Armenia-Azerbaijan [2] border. Do you think that could prove a barrier to the realization of that scenario of Robert Kocharian's?

A. I am not able to comment on that at the present time, but I think that NATO, Russia, and the entire international community all understand that Serzh Sargsyan and Robert Kocharian are capable of the taking the most extreme measures for the sake of staying in power, and I think that Russia and the west will not permit war to be provoked in the region just so one or two people can stay in power.

[...]

We all need to understand that, today, the people consider the arrest of Gagik Jhangirian as direct evidence of Serzh Sargsyan's and Robert Kocharyan's having been the authors of October 27th.

[...]

Q. The are credible reports that the NSS [3] has received orders from the highest levels of government to, not arrest you, but to eliminate you physically and make it look like an armed confrontation. What do you have to say about this?

A. I want to say that I have never had a weapon or carried one, I'm not armed right now, and I am not planning on arming myself. I have, in effect, gone underground not to escape arrest, but because I believe I bear a distinct responsibility for the future course of the movement, and the impetus to go underground has come from [the desire] to make a modest contribution to the future organization of the movement. As far as being armed is concerned, as I've already said, I have never had a weapon in my life, I am not armed right now, and I don't plan on arming myself. I am armed only with civil resolve: struggle, struggle until the end.

1. The rules that come into effect during a state of emergency.
        2. The interviewer must mean the Gharabagh-Azerbaijan border.
        3. National Security Service
        Last edited by TomServo; 06-07-2008, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Levon Gulyan Murder

point of view

06 June 2008

The Investigation of Gulyan’s case will be restarted

Today the Court of Yerevan Kentron and Nork Marash which was chaired by the judge Gagik Avetiqyan satisfied the complaint of Hrayr Ghukasyan and Aram Karakhanyan, assignees of Levon Gulyan who died in the police custody on May 12, 2007. This means that the Special investigation service will restart the investigation of the criminal case which was initiated on Levon Gulyan’s death.

To remind, Levon Gulyan was invited to the police to give testimony on the Stepan Vardanyan murder case, committed on May 9 near Gulyan’s restaurant. Levon Gulyan was taken to the Shengavit district Police station, and then he was taken to the RA Police headquarters where he died. According to the Police, while escape attempt Levon fell down from the second floor and died. His relatives believe that he was tortured by the Police.

Levon Gulyan's assignee Hrayr Ghukasyan today stated that the court decision is a positive step however not yet enough to obtain a result: “This is a new beginning and we should do our best to put the investigation in a proper direction. I hope that the Prosecutor’s Office and investigative bodies will adequately perceive this decision.”, Hrayr Ghukasyan said.

Comment

Prosecutor Slams Ombudsman Over Report on Protests

Chief Prosecutor Slams Ombudsman Over Unrest Report

Prosecutor-General Aghvan Hovsepian strongly criticized Armenia’s human rights Ombudsman Armen Harutiunian on Thursday for challenging the official version of the deadly street clashes that followed the recent presidential election.

The Armenian authorities have defended the use of lethal force against thousands of supporters of opposition leader Levon Ter-Petrosian who barricaded themselves on a street junction outside the Yerevan mayor’s office hours after the break-up of their 10-day sit-in in the city’s Liberty Square on March 1. They say security forces that tried to disperse the angry crowd were not only pelted with stones and Molotov xxxxtails but also came under gunfire.

Harutiunian cast doubt on the credibility of the official theory in an extensive report issued in late April. The report said in particular that the Armenian police have yet to publicize any evidence of the use of firearms by the protesters. It stressed that the deadly violence was sparked by the dispersal of some 2,000 Ter-Petrosian supporters camped out in Liberty Square. It said that contrary to police assurances the protesters were “not given any time to stop the rally.”

The Office of the Prosecutor-General and the Ministry of Justice voiced strong objections to the ombudsman’s findings in separate reports released late last month. The move led the human rights committee of the Armenian parliament to hold hearings on the controversy.

Speaking at the hearings, Hovsepian claimed that Harutiunian’s report is based on “unfounded” opposition claims and is therefore not objective. He said the ombudsman also overstepped his constitutional powers by making recommendations. “It is obvious that by publicly raising questions you did not seek to get answers to them and pursued other goals,” he told Harutiunian.

In his speech before the panel, Harutiunian rejected the accusations. He claimed that the Office of the Prosecutor-General and the Justice Ministry deliberately “distorted” the content of his report in order to avoid answering questions raised by it. He also said Armenia’s constitution and laws do not empower the prosecutors to challenge statements made by the human rights defender.

That claim was echoed by David Harutiunian (no relation), chairman of the parliament committee on legal affairs and one of the few lawmakers who defended the ombudsman during the hearings. “There is nothing wrong with the prosecutor’s office presenting its position,” he told RFE/RL. “But am concerned that the issues raised by the prosecutor’s office are quite politically motivated. There is a desire to defend the authorities which I think is unacceptable.”

By Karine Kalantarian

Comment

The Regime of Mercenaries

Pashinian: The Regime of Mercenaries

Another Pashinian jab to Kocharian's kidney. Pashinian so totally cleans up the floor with Kocharian that I am reminded of Gokor vs. Mr. Mayeda.

The Regime of Mercenaries
              April 17, 2008

In the evening of February the 3rd or 4th, 1998, while speaking about the President of the Republic of Armenia's (RA), Levon Ter-Petrossian's, resignation, Boris Yeltsin, President of the Russian Federation (RF), made an interesting statement. He said he had spoken to Levon Ter-Petrossian days before the resignation and offered him help, but the President of Armenia had refused it.

As you have no doubt guessed, the occasion for remembering this ten-year-old news is Serzh Sargsyan's public thanks to Putin, President of the RF in Moscow, for, to put it in Serzh Sargsyan's terms, the assistance he extended to him and Robert Kocharian during the pre-election and post-election periods. Serzh Sargsyan virtually thanked Putin for his assistance in the business of acquiring the RA and killing its citizens. These two, at first glance unimportant, examples clearly reveal both the situation that Armenia finds itself in today, and the alternative that it has.

In the last ten years the people in power have often sang the praises of the state and its gains and used them against opposers; in reality, however, they've been interested in the preservation of their own power and wealth, only. And in all this time they've but reduced the state to a common outpost [Russian: форпост]. On one occasion, Kocharian stated that the EU is not a politburo [1]. It turns out that Kocharian left his statement half finished: he should have completed the sentence by stating that, for him, the politburo remains in Moscow, as always. This [statement by Kocharian] is basically a verification of the tragic truth that [the mentality of] a man who has led Armenia for ten years has not grown beyond that of a provincial factory's party-committee [Russian: партком]. And, in spite of this, his entourage has decided to count him as one among the rank of cosmic leaders. What can be said about this? History will itself decide whether to remember or not remember Kocharian. And if it remembers, where will it place the emphases in the remembrance? Let us note, however, that history does not remember or remembers with contempt those leaders who ask for the assistance of others against their own people. And, by the way, Serzh Sargsyan shares this honor and glory equally [with Kocharian].

P.S. When Levon Ter-Petrossian characterized the movement that he leads as a national liberation movement, some thought it an exaggeration. Clearly, however, the Kocharian-Sargsyan leadership is playing the role of a mercenary whose purpose is to keep Armenia and the Armenian people in a state of brokered occupation.

1. Meaning the EU as a political entity transcending individual states does not control them, the states.

Comment

Is the "state" of Armenia for all Armenians?

From Hetq:

This touches on a broader issue: is the Republic of Armenia the homeland of all ethnic Armenians or does this state belong ONLY to its citizens, narrowly defined as citizens of the former Armenian SSR?

Armenians in Armenia will have to make that choice - they will not be able to eat their cake and have it too by appealing, when it suits them, to some kind of pan-Armenian sentiment, then rejecting diasporans for 'meddling' and 'interference' when they do not agree with their opinions.

Comment

Karabakh War Veterans on Hunger Strike

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

In case you were wondering why war veterans are on hunger strike...

Haykakan Zhamanak posted a small piece today, the majority of which is a call by veteran hunger strikers to other veterans to join them in the hunger strike...
                  բոլոր ազատամարտիկներին
                  this is an excerpt:

Մայիսի 27-ից հացադուլ ենք հայտարարել բոլորիս համար թանկ Եռաբլուրում` Սպարապետի եւ մեր զինակից ընկերների գերեզմանների հարեւանությամբ: Մեր այս ծայրահեղ քայլը պայմանավորված է նրանով, որ մեր ընկերների կյանքի գնով ձեռք բերված ազատությունը եւ հաղթանակի պտուղները վտանգված են: Մարտի 1-ին ապօրինի վարչախումբը սպանդ կազմակերպեց ժողովրդի դեմ: Վարչախումբը վայրահաչում է, թե մենք պղծել ենք Եռաբլուրը: Տղե՛րք, սրան պատասխանել է պետք ձեր ներկայությամբ, ձեր հավատքով, ձեր կեցվածքով ու կամքով: Տղե՛րք, տասը տարի մեզ նսեմացրել են, տասը տարի մեր երազած երկիրը դարձրել են ավազակների երկիր: Տղե՛րք, մենք ձեզ կարոտել ենք: Եկեք միացեք մեզ ու հավատացեք, որ մեր միասնականությամբ մեր սիրելի ժողովրդին կվերադարձնենք ազատությունը, հպարտությունը, արժանապատվությունը: Տղե՛րք, մեր զավակները մեզ չեն ների մեր անտարբերության համար: Մենք պարտք ունենք տալու մեր զոհված ընկերներին, նրանց ու մեր սերունդներին: Միացեք, ու հաղթանակը մերը կլինի

Addendum:
                  Here's the English the translation of the entire article:

A CALL TO ALL FREEDOM FIGHTERS
                  ISSUED BY 15 FREEDOM FIGHERS ON HUNGER STRIKE
                  ON JUNE 2, 2008

The fifteen freedom fighters on hunger strike by the chapel at Yerablur issued the following call to all freedom fighters:

Since May 27 we have declared a hunger strike on Yerablur, near the graves of our beloved Commander and our comrades-in-arms. This extreme measure on our part is predicated on the fact that the fruits of freedom and victory, for which our comrades in arms sacrificed their lives, are now in grave danger. On March 1, the illegitimate authorities organized mass slaughter against the people. The authorities now howl that we have desecrated Yerablur. Comrades, we should counter to that statement with your presence, your commitment, your conduct, and your resolve. Comrades, for ten years they humiliated us, for ten years they turned the country we dream of into a country of thieves. Comrades, we miss you. Come and join us, and believe that through our unity we will return freedom, pride and dignity to our beloved people. Comrades, our children will not forgive us our apathy. We have an obligation to the children of our dead comrades, to their future generations and to ours.
                  Join us, and victory will be ours.

[Comrades, here, is the translation of Tgherk, which literally means, boys, but is an informal, friendly way of referring, in this case, to those with whom they fought as soldiers, comrades-in-arms]
                  Last edited by TomServo; 06-08-2008, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Re: The Other Armenia

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Open Letter to Serge Sargsyan/Մեծարգո Պր. Սարգսյան

Մեծարգո Պր. Սարգսյան,

Արդեն բավական ժամանակ է զարմանում եմ այն ռազմավարության վրա, որով տանում եք Հայաստանը։ Ես իմ հարցերն ունեի և իմ կասկածները, սակայն փորձում էի Ձեր անմեղության կանխավարկածը պահպանել։ Հույս ունեի, որ Ձեր երդմնակալությունից հետո հանդես կգայիք Ձեր իրական տեսքով։ Մեզ ցույց կտայիք, թե որքա՛ն տարբեր եք Ձեր նախորդից։ Ցույց տվեցիք, սակայն ոչ այնպես, որ մեզնից որևէ մեկը դրանով հպարտ լինի։ Գիտե՞ք, Դուք հնարավորություն ունեիք առնվազն բացատրելու և սգալու, եթե ոչ դատապարտելու մարտիմեկյան արյունահեղությունը։ Սակայն Դուք չարեցիք։ Շարունակեցիք կործանարար ուղին։ Իսկ այդ ուղու վրա պատիվն անելիք չունի։

Եվ հիմա իր կյանքը մարդու իրավունքներին նվիրած մա՞րդն է հարձակման ենթարկվում` առանց որևէ հետևանքի։ Ժողովրդավարությանը նվիրված երիտասարդը, կարելի է նույնիսկ ասել` ԵԽԽՎ հանձնարարականները խորհրդանշո՞ղն է ծեծի ենթարկվում ձեր մայրաքաղաքում։ Հերոսին, ավելի ճիշտ` սիմվոլի՞ն են սպառնում արտաքսել երկրից` նրա բանտարկության ժամկետը լրանալուց հետո։ Իսկ ապօրինաբար ձերբակալվածների թվի մասի՞ն ինչ կասեք։

Ասացեք` ո՞վ է լինելու հաջորդը. Հյուսիսային պողոտայում «Ազատություն հայրիկիս» կամ «Պայքար, պայքար մինչև վերջ» գոռացող երեխա՞ն։ Թե՞ դա լինելու է տարիքավոր այն կանանցից մեկը, որ անցավ խորհրդային ժամանակաների, 1988 ի երկրաշարժի, ղարաբաղյան շարժման, պատերազմի և այդ ցուրտ ու մութ տարիների բովով, ընդամենը որպեսզի կրկին կանգնած մնա փողոցում` բռունցքը վեր պարզած, միայն թե այս անգամ իր իսկ իրավունքների համար պայքարելով։ Դուք կամ անսահման իշխանություն ունեք, կամ չունեք բոլորովին։ Ամեն դեպքում, աննախանձելի վիճակի մեջ եք։ Գուցեև Ձեզ համար որոշում կայացնելը շատ շատ ավելի դժվար է, քան ես եմ պատկերացնում, քանի որ չեք բռնել այն ճամփան, որն ինձ համար այնքան հստակորեն, այնքան ակնհայտորեն Ճշմարիտ ուղին է։

Մտածում եմ` անտառներում ու կիրճերում և կամ լեռների գագաթներին տեսնես քանի՞ կենաց եք ասել ու խմել մեր պապերի պապերի համար։ Եվ նույն այդ սեղաններին նույն այդ թասերով քանի՞ կենաց եք ասել ու խմել զինվորների համար, որոնք այնքան ծանր պայքարով պահպանեցին մեր ժողովրդին, մեր երկիրն ու մեր հողը։ Ինչպե՞ս կարող եք պատվել մեր ընդհանուր պապերին, բայց կրակել նրանց թոռների վրա։ Ինչպե՞ս կարող եք պատվել զինվորներին, սակայն անհաղորդ մնալ հացադուլի նստած վետերանների կանչերի հանդեպ և արտաքսել Սեֆիլյանին։

Ծիծեռնակ

Dear Mr. Sargsyan,

For quite some time I have wondered about your strategy, on the path you are taking Armenia. I had my questions and my doubts, but I gave you the benefit of the doubt. I hoped that after your inauguration, you would show us your own true colors. That you would show us how you were different from your predecessor. You did show us, but not in any way that any of us can be proud of. You see, you had the chance to at least explain and lament, if not condemn, the violence and injustice of March 1st. But you did not. You continued in the destructive path. And on that path, there is no honor.

And now, a man who has dedicated his life to human rights is assaulted with no apparent consequence? A youth dedicated to democracy, one might even say, to what the PACE recommendations symbolize, is beaten in your capital city? A hero, nay, an icon, is threatened with deportation once he finishes his prison sentence? And scores of individuals remain imprisoned illegally?

Tell me, who is next, the child screaming “Freedom for my Father” or "Payqar, payqar minchev verch!" on Northern Boulevard? Or will it be one of the elderly women who went through Soviet times, the earthquake of 1988, the Kharabagh Movement, the war, and those cold, dark years, only to be standing, yet again, on the street with her fist in the air, but this time fighting for her own rights? Either you have all of the power, or none of it. Either way, I do not envy you your position. Maybe your decision is much, much, more difficult than I can imagine, since you have not taken what seems to me to be so clearly, so obviously, the Right way.

I wonder how many toasts you have drunk in the forest, in the gorge, or on the mountaintop to our grandparents' grandparents? And at those same tables, with those same glasses, how many toasts have you drunk to the soldiers who fought so hard to protect our nation, our country and our land? How do you honor our mutual grandparents, but shoot their grandchildren? How do you honor the soldiers, but remain deaf to the calls of veterans on hunger strike, and deport Sefilyan?

Tzitzernak
                    Last edited by TomServo; 06-08-2008, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X