Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Idolizing Atatürk reheats debate in Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Idolizing Atatürk reheats debate in Turkey

Originally posted by hipeter924 View Post
    When will Turkey change, or is that a question for "Can Turkey Learn Tolerance?"
    Yep, they are changing alright, just listen to George Friedman who probably deep down doesn't even believe in the concept of people power and jeers the Turkish policy towards the 'glorious' throwback of the Ottoman Empire. Might creates right, who are we to resist - we happen to fall under the Friedman-projected "Turkish sphere of influence" of neo-Ottomanism.

Neo-Ottomanism...It's like saying Germany should return to its "glory days" of the Third Reich and turn "Neo-Nazi." Way to go George, Davutoglu is really proud of you.

Comment

Originally posted by Catharsis View Post
      Yep, they are changing alright, just listen to George Friedman who probably deep down doesn't even believe in the concept of people power and jeers the Turkish policy towards the 'glorious' throwback of the Ottoman Empire. Might creates right, who are we to resist - we happen to fall under the Friedman-projected "Turkish sphere of influence" of neo-Ottomanism.

Neo-Ottomanism...It's like saying Germany should return to its "glory days" of the Third Reich and turn "Neo-Nazi." Way to go George, Davutoglu is really proud of you.

I can tell you that george's book 'the next 100 years' is not taken seriously. He outlines things which are currently developing in the early parts of each chapter then goes on to write fiction. It really is not a secret that turkey is trying to expand its influence, what is unknown to all is how successful they will be in that venture. I am of the opinion that if they open the border with Armenia that they will be checked by Russian and to a lesser extent, Iranian power. This was touched upon by some posts that Haykakan, Armenian, and I made in previous threads, especially the Armenia-turkey relations thread.
      For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
      to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

[email protected] Columnists

Killing another Armenian

13 November 2009, Friday

I was originally only planning to write an entertaining story, but then I came across a piece of news in Today’s Zaman. I said to myself Turkey is like a family that has a psychopathic father who does extremely disturbing things whenever the children feel happy -- all just to kill their happiness. Why I use this metaphor in which I portray psychopaths as the father figure and myself as a child needs to be analyzed separately.

Let’s turn to this “disturbing story.” As you read in yesterday’s issue of Today’s Zaman, Taraf columnist Sevan Nişanyan, a Turkish citizen and an ethnic Armenian, published in his column “letters from readers” sent to him in reaction to one of his previous columns in which he rewrote Mustafa Kemal Atatürk’s “Address to Turkish Youth.” He changed Atatürk’s sentence “Your first duty is to preserve and to defend Turkish independence and the Turkish Republic forever” into “Your first duty is to be a human being.” He made other changes of this type to the original address. In reaction to his creative column, he received more than 400 e-mails from readers, threatening to kill him, swearing at him using extremely strong language, insulting him and so on. He quoted a dozen of these messages as examples to give readers a taste of the remaining messages. When you read these messages, the most “decent ones,” already quoted in yesterday’s Today’s Zaman, clearly show that all attacks target his Armenian ethnicity. The messages are written in the purest form of racist mentality, which makes references to the killing of Turkish-Armenian journalist Hrant Dink, to history and so on.

Reading these messages reminded me of something. In the summer of 2008, I attended a course on genocide in Toronto. A dinner was held for participants on the last night of the course. There were also people from the Zoryan Institute, which organized this course. An Armenian gentleman who was told I was from Turkey wanted to talk to me and sat right across from me at the table. His Turkish was perfect. He then told me his story. His family was originally from Van, a city by the biggest lake of the same name in southeast Anatolia. His grandfather was a wealthy man in Van.

There was a Kurdish clan leader in Van who used to invite rich and prominent Armenians to his home every year for a special dinner. That particular year, the Kurdish tribe leader, as usual, invited wealthy Armenians to his home for dinner again. During the dinner this Armenian gentleman’s father was playing games with children in the yard of the house. Something unusual happened: The children were told to go to their homes and were also told that their fathers were going to join them later on. Later on, they learned that no Armenian who attended this dinner left alive; they were all killed that night. The year was 1915. This Kurdish tribe leader most probably became a very rich man after taking the possessions of the Armenians he killed.

Following this, the family formed a new life in İstanbul, and this gentleman received quite a good education there. When the time for military conscription came, he had to make a choice: He was either going to join the military or he was going to go abroad like many of his Armenian friends living in Turkey did. He chose to join the army, believing that a good life awaited him in Turkey after completing military service.

Since he had already completed his graduate degree at the time, he joined the military under the rank of second lieutenant. Apparently, for many racist Turks, having an ethnic Armenian commander over them was a very big insult. As soon as he stepped into the compound, they started to hassle him. Every night a group of soldiers spoke of killing him in front of the door to his room. There was no night he did not hear conversations about how he was going to be killed. As soon as he completed his military service, he sought asylum in Canada and has been living there ever since. What a trauma for him and what a loss for Turkey. He is a smart guy who received one of the best educations in Turkey. Turkey indeed lost a great individual, a man who was determined to live in this country despite everything. What a big loss for Turkey.

Nişanyan is one of this country’s brightest minds, and we are very luck he did not leave Turkey. I am sure, like every other Armenian living in Turkey, that he must have endured all kinds of racist attacks of all types and forms during his life. But he did not leave Turkey; he continues to live here and continues to contribute to the democratization of this country.

Returning to the very beginning of this article, I used a metaphor in which I portrayed psychopaths attacking Nişanyan as father figures because I instinctively know that the deep state always has a hand in these kinds of organized attacks. In Turkey, these kinds of things happen in a much more organized way than people generally tend to think. When I read about this hatemongering campaign targeting Nişanyan, I could only think of JİTEM as the conspirator behind the scenes. JİTEM is the illegal unit of the gendarmerie responsible for many unsolved murders in southeast Turkey. I also believe they were the real perpetrators of the Dink assassination and the 2007 Malatya massacre.

If a country does not confront its past, it is doomed to repeat it. Unless we fully confront what happened to Armenians in 1915, we will not be able to get rid of these fascist elements in the state structure -- nor will we be able to change this racist mentality. Ergenekon and similar gangs should be handled with the utmost care, and these cases should go wherever they can lead us. Finally, to prevent a second Dink case, threats and other messages targeting Nişanyan should be taken very seriously. To investigate these threats and to find the real perpetrators behind them is the utmost moral and legal obligation of this government. We should all keep a close eye on the steps taken.

Link

Comment

Originally posted by Armanen View Post
          Why did the turkish regime bomb kemals childhood home?
          Here`s an excerpt from an article that was published today:

ORHAN KEMAL CENGİZ [email protected] Columnists

Ruling through manipulation and provocation: the unwritten history of Turkey

27 November 2009, Friday

The last 100 years in Turkey have been a history of provocations and manipulations. We have seen the same film again and again. These manipulations and provocations were carried out for different purposes.

One of the target groups was non-Muslims and people were provoked against this group in order to scare them away. These tactics were extremely successful; as a result of them, Turkey lost most of its non-Muslims. Look at the events of Sept. 6-7, 1955. Suddenly, “some news” began to be distributed through the local media claiming that Atatürk’s house in Selanik (Thessalonica), Greece, was bombed. We now know that the person who threw an explosive into the garden of Atatürk’s house was an employee of the Turkish intelligence service. Following this provocative news, a barbaric move targeting non-Muslims in İstanbul was carried out. It was so successful that thousands upon thousands of Christians and j_e_w_s left Turkey immediately after this incident.

Full article here
          And here`s another article about the events in 1955:

ISTANBUL RIOTS 1955 - what happened on 6-7 September?
          Last edited by Alexandros; 11-26-2009, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

This made me lol.

Warning: If you love Ataturk, you will hate this and find it heavily insulting.

Comment

Working...
            X