Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

notes and comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: elegy

I think I prefer reading Saco's counterarguments They are much better

Comment

Originally posted by Saco View Post
      I don't understand you.
      I don't hate you.
      I'm trying to understand you.
      Your not trying to understand me)(or anyone else.

I understand Ara. I just don't understand if he's asking and answering his own questions or he's writing for a column in a paper.
      Last edited by KanadaHye; 06-24-2009, 03:40 PM.
      "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

I understand Ara, though some of his thoughts I agree with and some other of his thoughts I vehemently disagree with. For instance I agree when he talks about Armenian minds, the hatred and the jealousy most carry within them for their own kind; it's all true quite unfortunately and I wish it was differently but it isn't. We as a nation have great regards towards all "odars" (non-Armenians), but when it comes to our own kinds we have not. I don't know why or what is the answer but it's all true. Perhaps it's because as a nation we have less self esteem towards our own kind as we have lived subserviently under the Ottoman turks for a great many centuries and we did not have the luxury of having our own kingdom, our freedom and sovereignty. I would think that this may have something to do with having less self esteem and less regard for our own kind as a national trait. Though after losing our kingdom, our freedom and our lands, it wasn't easy for our nation psychologically to thrive and feel content and better. You see, maintaining to have our lands, kingdom, freedom would have made us feel not haughty or arrogant but excellent, superior and distinguished. Not having a land and sovereignty robbed us of those feelings of distinguished superiority; and now our race is paying the dear price of all this. Although even before losing our kingdom and sovereignty, our princes were not loyal to one king. Everyone wished to be king; thus no one wishes to follow rules and be soldiers. I am afraid it's a national weakness and feebleness.

On the other hand, I don't agree with Ara when he attacks all parties in the immediate past, because we were annihilated by the turks. I don't agree with Ara when he attacks Dashnagtsoutyun as they were fooled for a very short while by Talaat and his gang, after a great many of our people were annihilated by the Red Sultan Abdul Hamid II. Although after the Adana massacres, Dashnagtsoutyun didn't trust the turkish gov't nor Talaat. I don't agree with Ara when he favours all turks and calls them all his friends and brothers when till today their government and a great many turks still denies the Genocide and therefore the Genocide continues, as it is the last phase of the Genocide is denyal. Of course I am not speaking about the turks who have signed petitions to accept the Genocide and are not denying it. I understand it must be hard for them to accept it as a nation and move on with their hurtful past; but then again the Germans did it and so did the Americans. How can we say all the turks; including their government who notoriously denies the Genocide is our buddies, friends and brothers. I have great regard for the turks who do not deny the Genocide but the ones who deny it, I have contempt towards them.

I just wish that before the Genocide, Armenians weren't scattered all over Western Armenia. If the 3 or plus millions of them lived only in the Van area or around Erzeroum for instance, Dashnagtsoutyun and Henchagyans would have better chance to save most of them; but that didn't happen as we were scattered all over the Armenian Highlands.

Comment

If the Armenians from Van, Mush, Sassun, and Erzerum fought against the Turks together, instead of just fending for themselves whenever the Turks felt like isolating each region with their swords, then we would've functioned more as an oppressed nation under the Ottoman yoke. To say we were disorganized because we were scattered is a cop out, we chose to act scattered when we didn't have to, and to our detriment. Antranik hated this aspect about Armenians... "not my region? I'll give my sympathies, but I would never give my life to protect it". Surely, Caucasian Armenians were the same, they needed to wait until the Tatar Azeris began the pogroms before they understood Antranik's message to them, and by then, it was way to late to do anything for Western Armenia. It is unfortunate that we needed to all get our fair share of butchering before our survivors started to see that we needed to work together.

We were not a warrior people, this was (and still might be) our greatest curse. The fedayeen were exceptions to the rule that Armenians were the most loyal cattle of the Ottomans. It is no surprise that when the massacring started, our diverse regions could not find the will to band together and become a force that could avert the deaths of over a million people. We woke up too late to realize that we must be armed and coordinated in order to survive there.
          Last edited by jgk3; 06-24-2009, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Amazingly true post Anoush jan, and you sum it up well…………..the reason why now I hunt our enemies on the internet like a ghost from the past.

Ara, she is right you know………and so is Saco. Your posts can sometimes cause confusion with misleading interpretation.

Jqk3, I agree. Good analysis.
            We look to future now and we shall succeed.
            B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

That's mainly because the truth hurts.
              No, it's because they said it in the wrong way. Let's look at some people talking about the AG, shall we? The way they talk at times makes you feel like their sticking our history in people's eyes ... more like poking actually ... and it feels very disgusting. You feel like walking out of the room and slamming the door closed on your way out. What they don't understand is that soon they'll poke everyone's eyes out and no one will be able to see the truth anymore. There is a way to do everything. I have also been promoting the AG but whenever I did in Armenia, India, etc. people listened, people got excited, and they respected me most importantly because I respected THEM along with their views, wrong or right! Don't mean to brag bro. I hope you understood me correctly.

Bottom line is, neglection is a very bad feeling and when people read a thread or blog or whatever that apparently faces serious issues and then get ignored along with most of their questions, if not all of them ... they get pissed and it doesn't matter anymore if the thread was filled with good, informative posts or sucky posts ... nothing matters anymore. Neglection is what I and many others feel, have felt, and will probably continue to feel in this thread and because I sensed that Ara had a lot of good things to say, I wanted to inform him about what's going on so that not only others, but I myself could start understanding him and perhaps having some quality discussions. What did I get? A message saying, "It seems to me in whatever you say you give one the impression that you know better"!

I think I prefer reading Saco's counterarguments. They are much better.
              Lol, thanks Meline jan. But seriously, this isn't a my horse is bigger then your horse contest. This is just about all of us starting to understand each other and why many can't!

I understand Ara. I just don't understand if he's asking and answering his own questions or he's writing for a column in a paper.
              It looks more like a diary with many personal entries. That's what I asked, whether this is a column, a diary, or a thread where people can discuss what he writes. That answer like many others is also unanswered. It kinda feels like Riddle's diary .... oh wait, that diary actually talked back to you.

On the other hand, I don't agree with Ara when he attacks all parties in the immediate past, because we were annihilated by the turks. I don't agree with Ara when he attacks Dashnagtsoutyun as they were fooled for a very short while by Talaat and his gang, after a great many of our people were annihilated by the Red Sultan Abdul Hamid II. Although after the Adana massacres, Dashnagtsoutyun didn't trust the turkish gov't nor Talaat. I don't agree with Ara when he favours all turks and calls them all his friends and brothers when till today their government and a great many turks still denies the Genocide and therefore the Genocide continues, as it is the last phase of the Genocide is denyal. Of course I am not speaking about the turks who have signed petitions to accept the Genocide and are not denying it. I understand it must be hard for them to accept it as a nation and move on with their hurtful past; but then again the Germans did it and so did the Americans. How can we say all the turks; including their government who notoriously denies the Genocide is our buddies, friends and brothers. I have great regard for the turks who do not deny the Genocide but the ones who deny it, I have contempt towards them.
              I agree. To quote Socrat (I think it was him) ... "Whoever says everyone is his friend isn't MY friend"! I have so many Turkish friends I would take a bullet for but that doesn't mean everyone in Turkey is my friend. Again though, I THINK Ara had something else in mind. I guess we'll never know ...
              THE ROAD TO FREEDOM AND JUSTICE IS A LONG ONE!

Comment

Regarding J's post ... I have personally experienced all that xxxx and am still experiencing it today believe it or not while working on Candles and Ashes. Many just want to see the site up and then shower me with beautiful words. Few actually stand by my side though and want to help actually create the site.

I see the same here in Yerevan. Many people get together and decide to do something but when the time comes to take the first step ... everyone's leg's hurt!
                THE ROAD TO FREEDOM AND JUSTICE IS A LONG ONE!

Comment

Originally posted by Saco View Post
                  Regarding J's post ... I have personally experienced all that xxxx and am still experiencing it today believe it or not while working on Candles and Ashes. Many just want to see the site up and then shower me with beautiful words. Few actually stand by my side though and want to help actually create the site.

I see the same here in Yerevan. Many people get together and decide to do something but when the time comes to take the first step ... everyone's leg's hurt!
                  Its like a "group" project in school. 1 person usually ends up doing 90% of the work. Nobody takes the first step, the majority just take a step back defaulting their responsibilties to those that don't back out.
                  "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Thursday, June 24, 2009
                    MEMOIRS
                    Because I was born in Greece to Armenian parents in a multicultural ghetto of refugees from the Ottoman Empire whose common medium was Turkish, I learned three languages without any effort on my part. I never asked anyone about the meaning of words or their definitions: I just knew. Something similar happens in the realm of ideas dealing with religion, ethics, and justice. I accepted them as facts rather than as prejudices, misconceptions, assumptions, fallacies, theories, or hypotheses. As a result, ideas that I encountered later in life – ideas like atheism, agnosticism, the brotherhood of all men, democracy, and passive resistance – appeared at first as alien, sometimes even as incomprehensible. Which is why intolerance comes naturally to all of us. It is tolerance that must be taught and learned, and more often than not, it is neither taught nor learned.
                    In my twenties I tried to teach myself Japanese and Zulu, among other languages. Today I remember only one word in Zulu -- “kitab” (book), and I remember it because it is the same word in Turkish.
                    And now allow me to tell you my favorite Nasreddin Hodja story:
                    It is said that in his youth the Hodja made a fortune as a smuggler. Everyone knew this but but no one knew what was it that he was smuggling, not even the border guards who would search him and his donkey thoroughly every time he crossed the border, which he did frequently. Many years later when one of the border guards met the Hodja and asked him what was was it that he was smuggling, the Hodja replied, “Donkeys.”
                    Speaking of smugglers: When an American customs officer asked Oscar Wilde if he had anything to declare, Wilde is said to have replied: “Only my genius” -- no doubt one of the most dangerous commodities known to man.
                    #

Comment

i do hope today's entry (MEMOIRS)
                      will explain why some readers
                      find my notes and comments alien, hostile, and
                      sometimes even incomprehensible.
                      but if they continue not to understand me,
                      i say, relax.
                      this is not the end of the world.
                      my next commentary may shed more light in a dark corner.
                      i have been writing for over 30 years --
                      my first book appeared in 1975.
                      and i have been writing one or two commentaries every day
                      for more than 10 years now.
                      it took me more than 10 or even 30 years to understand what i understand.
                      be patient.
                      there is no rush.
                      better late than never.
                      oush lini anous lini.
                      as long as there is life
                      there is hope.
                      sometimes i don't reply to questions
                      because i am inspired by them
                      and i do not wish to repeat the same answer.

Comment

Working...
                      X