Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

notes and comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: elegy

Originally posted by Sako View Post
    I haven't checked.

And it's not like everyone that lived back then had to definitely write a book about Avarair. Again, I'm not going to go too deep into this subject as I know very little about it ... for now!
    not a book, not.
    but at least a line about a minor skirmish on the border.

Comment

Friday, July 17, 2009
      THE TROUBLE WITH HONESTY
      The trouble with being honest is that you will never know how many people will get hurt. But that's all right as long as you are one of them.
      It happens to me more or less regularly: I try to solve a problem but I am not sure if I can. I go ahead anyway on the grounds that doing something is better than doing nothing, and trying is better than giving up – and by the time I am through, I have created more problems for myself.
      Moral: The most important thing to know about digging a hole is to know when to stop.
      A Turkish friend once said to me: “Why is it that you and I agree on everything except the Genocide?” The only answer I could come up with was: “Probably because we have been brainwashed by two different sets of propagandists.”
      Speaking of disagreements: Have you ever noticed that whenever you successfully demolish a bureaucrat's arguments, he says, “Let me check with my supervisor.” And when he comes back, he does so with a decision that is invariably against you.
      I have lost more arguments against invisible and non-existent supervisors than anyone else.
      German saying: “A dog knows his master, but not his master's master.”
      Nothing comes more naturally to victims of a great injustice than to inflict minor injustices on their friends.
      One of the most incomprehensible things about human beings is their willingness to subject themselves to the verbiage of speechifiers and sermonizers.
      #

Comment

Saturday, July 18, 2009
        THERE IS NO BUSINESS LIKE...
        WRITING FOR ARMENIANS
        Do you really know how I feel when I write?
        I feel like a nun promoting virginity
        to an audience of bordello madams and pimps.
        In their efforts to make me see the light,
        my critics succeed only in reinforcing my convictions.
        I probably have a similar effect on them.
        But then, my aim is not to change anyone's mind
        -- I am not a miracle worker –
        but to let our Jack S. Avanakians know that
        they can't fool all the people all the time.
        I know they read me because they correct me.
        As for those who insult me,
        I don't take them seriously.
        Anyone who takes a dislike at me
        will insult me without reading me,
        and even when he reads me,
        he will make no effort to understand what he reads.
        On the contrary: he will go out of his way to misunderstand me.
        Do you know why I never run out of things to say?
        Because I use my enemies as my muses.
        #

Comment

Originally posted by arabaliozian View Post
          for 600 years we were the Sultan's most loyal servants -- "the most loyal millet."
          why would he massacre us at a time when he needed us most?
          the answer must be:
          because we believed the West (we were dupes)
          and because we counted on russian victory (bad judgment).
          From your own definitions, loyal servant.
          Servants are always dispensable whether national, domestic or corporate.
          Its a matter of time or circumstance.

Are you suggesting Armenian nation should have existed only as servant nation?
          In history there were many servant nations who, because they stayed that way
          for too long do not exist now or are wonders in this world till their final demise.
          Politics is not about the pursuit of morality nor what's right or wrong
          Its about self interest at personal and national level often at odds with the above.
          Great politicians pursue the National interest and small politicians personal interests

Comment

I like your ideas not because they are (always) right but because they are thought provoking.
            Its about self interest at personal and national level often at odds with the above.
            Great politicians pursue the National interest and small politicians personal interests

Comment

Tuesday, July 14, 2009#
              Armenianism is an “ism” like any other ism.
              It should be carefully analyzed and not adopted as a belief system.
              Never heard the term Armenianism.
              I know the term a "good Armenian" which to me means knowing where you came from and where you are going as a nation, as instinctively as any living thing which does everything possible to preserve its species in perpetuity.

More blood has been shed in the name of patriotism
              than any other ideology or religion.
              What has changed, any hopes thing will be different in the future.
              Is the answer complaining about it?

If patriotism means loyalty to one's nation
              and disloyalty to the rest of mankind,
              I want no part of it.
              Maybe not, but what is bothering your conscience with regards being disloyal to mankind?

A true patriot living in self-imposed exile is an oxymoron
              (with emphasis on the last two syllables);
              There is no such thing as true patriot.
              There is only patriot dictionary definition is

1. A person who loves, supports, and defends his or her country and its interests with devotion.
              2. A person who regards himself or herself as a defender, esp. of individual rights, against presumed interference by the federal government.

and a warlike patriot who is unwilling to kill and die speaks with a forked tongue.
              I think you have a romantic view of war.
              War is a multifaceted event, people can contribute in different ways
              ( agreed many may not).
              Last edited by londontsi; 07-18-2009, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by londontsi View Post
                Never heard the term Armenianism.
                I know the term a "good Armenian" which to me means knowing where you came from and where you are going as a nation, as instinctively as any living thing which does everything possible to preserve its species in perpetuity.

What has changed, any hopes thing will be different in the future.
                Is the answer complaining about it?

Maybe not, but what is bothering your conscience with regards being disloyal to mankind?

There is no such thing as true patriot.
                There is only patriot dictionary definition is

1. A person who loves, supports, and defends his or her country and its interests with devotion.
                2. A person who regards himself or herself as a defender, esp. of individual rights, against presumed interference by the federal government.

I think you have a romantic view of war.
                War is a multifaceted event, people can contribute in different ways
                ( agreed many may not).
                like all armenians, you have a highly developed spirit of contradiction.
                that too is an integral part of armenianism.

Comment

From your own definitions, loyal servant.
                  Servants are always dispensable whether national, domestic or corporate.
                  Its a matter of time or circumstance.

Are you suggesting Armenian nation should have existed only as servant nation?
                  In history there were many servant nations who, because they stayed that way
                  for too long do not exist now or are wonders in this world till their final demise.

armenians are survivors, yes,
                  provided we agree that
                  their best have perished
                  and only their worst have survived.

Comment

armenians are survivors, yes,
                    provided we agree that
                    their best have perished
                    and only their worst have survived.
                    All currently living Armenians will perish in a generation or two.
                    What matters is what they leave behind.

Within the new generations there will be their best and as you call their worst.

The survival of the Nation will depend whether there will be enough of the best to "carry" the worst.

Comment

All currently living Armenians will perish in a generation or two.
                      What matters is what they leave behind.

Within the new generations there will be their best and as you call their worst.

The survival of the Nation will depend whether there will be enough of the best to "carry" the worst.
                      we have always been at the mercy of the worst; but until very recently we also had some good men, like Zarian, Shahnour, Zabel Yessayan, Mahari, Bakounts...
                      today we have nobody!
                      the triumph of the mediocre, the unprincipled, the corrupt, and the incompetent.

Comment

Working...
                      X