Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

notes and comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: elegy

Originally posted by arabaliozian View Post
    and what i am saying is that monarchy and fascism make things worse.
    at least in a democracy crooks like Tricky xxxx and his henchmen are caught and sometimes jailed-- instead of being promoted.
    I question the argument that one is worse or better than the other. Human nature, and the need to appease the masses/asses is the same. In a monarchy, you will see a man who wants to maintain power and thus do what he needs to do (sacrifice business associates, whatever). Fascism is a vague, derogatory noun that no one claims. Was Tito a fascist? Stalin? Mao? Yes, but they did so to make sure their objectives were attained and they wanted to establish a post-dictatorship democracy.

It ties in with many of your commentaries, that we Armenians aren't an ethnic snow-flake, and have the same positive and negative human traits (collectively and as individuals) as everyone else.
    kurtçul kangal

Comment

Sunday, October 18, 2009
      WE NEVER LEARN
      “We may think of Turks as backward Asiatic slobs,” Shahan Shahnour warns us somewhere, “but make no mistake about it: when in some to Armenians, they can be very, very calculating and methodical.”
      If the intention of the Protocols was to pit the Diaspora against the Homeland, it was must be declared a brilliant coup -- judging by the Diaspora's ferocious opposition to the regime in Yerevan.
      The Turks are now imposing punitive taxation on their media barons critical of the regime. It seems they respect a free press as much as we do.
      I will never forget the conversation I once had with the publisher of a bilingual (English-Armenian) weekly in Los Angeles. He began by informing me that he had received a call from the secretary of a national benefactor.
      “What did he want?” I asked, smelling a rat.
      “He demanded why I go on publishing you,” was his reply.
      “And you said?”
      “I said I edit only the Armenian section, someone else handles the English section.”
      “Did he buy that?”
      I guess he didn't because shortly thereafter I was fired with no explanation, severance pay, or even a thank you note for my decades -long pro bono weekly contributions of book reviews, commentaries, and translations.
      #

Comment

Originally posted by AlphaPapa View Post
        I question the argument that one is worse or better than the other. Human nature, and the need to appease the masses/asses is the same. In a monarchy, you will see a man who wants to maintain power and thus do what he needs to do (sacrifice business associates, whatever). Fascism is a vague, derogatory noun that no one claims. Was Tito a fascist? Stalin? Mao? Yes, but they did so to make sure their objectives were attained and they wanted to establish a post-dictatorship democracy.

It ties in with many of your commentaries, that we Armenians aren't an ethnic snow-flake, and have the same positive and negative human traits (collectively and as individuals) as everyone else.
        no one claims to be a fascist?
        wrong.
        Mussolini did and compared to the others that you mention, he was no better than a mickey-mouse.

Comment

Monday, October 19, 2009
          COMMENTS
          “Deal may end Turkish-Armenian friction,” reads the headline of a commentary on the Protocols by a British pundit. So far however it has succeeded only in increasing Diaspora-Homeland friction.
          According to a British diplomat, also quoted in today's paper: “Africans as a whole are not only not averse to cutting off their nose to spite their face; they regard such an operation as a triumph of cosmetic surgery.”
          My first thought: That makes two of us.
          If you can't explain the inexplicable, what's the use of writing?
          Every morning on waking up sometimes I fail to remind myself that the sun does not rise to hear me crowing.
          #

Comment

Originally posted by arabaliozian View Post
            true.
            Dostoevsky's question:
            what about innocent children that are raped and murdered?
            My suggestions wouldn't boast well with our western liberal judicial system.
            "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Tuesday, 20 October, 2009
              MAKING CONNECTIONS
              “A dog starved at his master's gate
              Predicts the ruin of the state.” (William Blake)
              To understand history means to see the connecting tissue that binds two apparently unrelated occurrences. Naregatsi's lamentations and a thousand years of subservience. Abovian's suicide and the Genocide. Tolstoy's excommunication and the Russian revolution. The persecution of dissenters and the collapse of the Soviet Union.
              Perhaps one reason we don't behead our “kings” is that they know how to flatter our vanity.
              We are a young nation and the oldest civilization.
              If on occasion I insult my fellow Armenians it may be because so far flattery has not worked for us.
              If they massacred us because they hated us, does that justify our own hatred for them? What if hatred is toxic to our understanding of our enemies, or for that matter of our friends, and ultimately of ourselves?
              I never say anything about others that I am not prepared to say about myself. It is through my own failings that I recognize them in others.
              #

Comment

Wednesday, October 21, 2009
                SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT
                Someone voices an opinion, another develops it, a third sees an idea in it, and a fourth formulates a general theory. That's how human thought is advanced. But where there is intolerance, there will be censorship, and where there is censorship, progress will be arrested, creativity aborted, and man moronized.
                I too am a survivor – not of Turkish atrocities but of moronized fellow countrymen.
                All men are created equal, but some men are in a better position to say one thing, do the opposite, and get away with murder.
                Like most men I was educated to be a dupe, but unlike most men I continued to be one even in my advanced years. When an Armenian writer from Beirut once told me he had given up writing because several of his masterpieces had burned during the civil war in Beirut, I believed him. But when I mentioned this to another writer from Beirut, I was told that's a favorite cliché of Beirutsi intellectuals – to blame the non-existence of their works on the war.
                What we need is an Armenian Human Rights Commission that will expose our dismal human rights record. We are either for human rights or against it. If we are against it, we must be for Levantine charlatanism, Soviet brutality, and Asiatic barbarism.
                We have a veritable alphabet soup of organizations and bureaucracies run by Levantine wheeler-dealers in the Diaspora and former commissars in the Homeland. What we don't have and need badly is a Human Rights Commission.
                Bureaucrats are bureaucrats regardless of nationality. Unchecked by watchdog agencies, they will grab as much power as they can. But what I find even more repellent than power-hungry bureaucrats is the silence of our academics and intellectuals. Mart bidi ch'ellank.
                I wonder, do Turks have a Human Rights Commission? If they don't, in what way are we different from them? If they do, is it conceivable that they are more civilized than we are? Something to think about.
                #

Comment

If human rights commissions are as useful as the UN then there is no need for the bureaucracy. If it's one thing human rights has achieved it's this - dogs and cats are now treated more humanely than humans.
                  "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Ara your the worst selfappointed intellectual i have ever encountered. Looking at things in a unbiased manner is one thing but you are a selfhating armenian. You put your own people down when there is no reason for it. Sure we as armenians have plenty of flaws but its not like the other people dont have them to. You make it sound like we are the lowest scum when that is far from the truth. I am all for the truth and i can hardly be mistaken for a man who only sees thyings through armenian glasses but being unbiased or realistic is far from what your doing. You dont portray the armenian people and issues fairly instead you drag them down far below where they are in reality. If flattery has not worked for us it doesnt mean insulting your own people will either. Your logic is like that used by a 4 yearold child and hardly worth writing or reading about.
                    Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
                      If human rights commissions are as useful as the UN then there is no need for the bureaucracy. If it's one thing human rights has achieved it's this - dogs and cats are now treated more humanely than humans.
                      if with a human rights commission people are treated like dogs; without human rights commission, they will be treated...like what? bacteria?

Comment

Working...
                      X