Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

notes and comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: elegy

June 2, 2010
    SIMONE WEIL
    “It is impossible to forgive whoever has done us harm if that harm has lowered us. We have to think that it has not lowered us but revealed our true level.”
    Which is why those I criticize will never forgive me – and I don't expect them to.
    OSCAR WILDE
    “Women represent the triumph of matter over mind.”
    The same could be said of men.
    The ease with which we make mistakes; and even more astonishing: the ease with which we are successful in convincing ourselves we are doing the right.
    Homo sapiens?
    Seldom.
    Homo ignoramus?
    Always!
    A.N. WHITEHEAD
    “Our reasoning grasps at straws for premises and floats on gossamers for deductions.”
    COMMENTS
    To know better is not the same as to know, or for that matter, to be closer to the truth.
    Our tragedy: those who pretend to know lead those who pretend to understand.
    Or, the unthinking leads the thoughtless.
    This is no secret. It was known and stated thousands of years ago:
    “When the blind lead the blind...”
    Whenever I see the photo of an Armenian writer in the company of a boss or bishop, I can’t help thinking, “There goes the neighborhood.”
    If you think A and I think C, the truth may not be in the neighborhood of B but somewhere beyond Z.
    You say you are free but all I see when I look at you is the invisible ring in your nose and the harness on your back.
    #

Comment

Originally posted by arabaliozian View Post
      “Women represent the triumph of matter over mind.”
      Haha, good one.

You're a good writer, bro, but all your writings are so very pessimistic in nature. It might even suffice to say that you come off with an air of arrogance, yet deny any arrogance at all.

Comment

June 3, 2010
        DIARY
        Finished reading Siblin's book on the Bach Cello Suites and Casals.
        A remarkable achievement by a remarkable writer.
        To write the book, Siblin not only read everything on the subject, he also travelled all over the world, attended lectures and symposia, visited museums and libraries housing Bach manuscripts, interviewed cellists, Bach expert, and Casals biographers, joined a Bach choir and learned to sing a cantata in German, took lessons by a cellist, and studied countless CDS. A veritable Odyssey by a phenomenally brilliant researcher. Reminds me of the dictum that if you want to achieve anything in life you must be a fanatic.
        While reading his many footnotes and divagations, I was reminded of Nabokov's translation of Pushkin.
        READING ZARIAN'S NOTEBOOKS
        “I have a deep antipathy for Kafka whom I have tried but failed to read..”
        And yet his (Zarian's) experiences in the Homeland and Diaspora are quintessentially Kafkaesque.
        I suspect like all nationalists Zarian was deeply suspicious of xxxs.
        “The majority of men don't think; they prefer to rely on someone else's thoughts. Thinking is a habit they seem to have lost – probably out of fear, in case they get into trouble by thinking the wrong thoughts.”
        After our Golden Age and Silver Age we must now be at the summit of our Garbage Age – and as Zarian suggests in his TRAVELLER AND HIS ROAD, it’s not even garbage picked up from our own streets.
        In the Homeland we are at the mercy of neo-commissars; in the Diaspora, mini-sultans.
        CHURHCILL TO AN ADMIRAL
        “Don’t talk to me about naval tradition! It’s nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash!”
        Bravo beh!
        #

Comment

June 4, 2010
          THE PAPACY
          I have been reading a book on the Borgias and Renaissance popes, and I can't help wondering why there are still people who take Vatican pronouncements seriously. My only explanation: there is no limit to human ignorance and stupidity.
          ON FAITH
          Faith is a placebo which, unlike opium, is legal. This is a well-known secret to its administrators but not to its consumers. This may explain why when Mother Teresa lost her faith, she confided only to her confessor.
          WHY I WRITE
          When asked why I write, I say: “Writing has become a habit I can't give up.” When told that's not a good enough reason, I have no choice but to agree. On the other hand, if I were to say “I write to save the nation,” I would be accused of megalomania run amok. How dare I think I can succeed where far better men than myself have failed. Not all questions have good answers.
          WHAT HAS MY ARMENIAN IDENTITY
          MEANT TO ME
          When I dealt with Armenian publishers, editors, bosses, bishops, benefactors and their assorted hirelings and flunkies, I became an alcoholic, developed an ulcer, and was hospitalized on several occasions. Now that I keep my distance, I am both healthier and happier. But even more important, I have a more objective view of myself and my fellow men. Also, I can afford the luxury of relying on my own judgment, which fallible as it probably is, it is my own and not someone else's, who in addition to being a fool may also be a crook, a bloodsucker, and a gravedigger.
          #

Comment

Originally posted by levon View Post
            Haha, good one.

You're a good writer, bro, but all your writings are so very pessimistic in nature. It might even suffice to say that you come off with an air of arrogance, yet deny any arrogance at all.
            may i have a sample of my arrogance?
            a line or two will do.

Comment

June 5, 2010
              BACK TO BACH
              He composed, he said, “for the greater glory of God and the instruction of his fellow men.” But he was better known as an organist rather than as a composer. Now completely forgotten composers were far better known and compensated than he was. Even his own sons, themselves professional musicians of some renown, looked down on his unfashionable style. Ladies and gentlemen of the court (on whom composers were financially dependent) demanded music that was more easily understood and played, like Haydn and Mozart. As a result, a great many of his works were buried, forgotten, and lost. And when a hundred years after his death, some of his masterpieces were resurrected by among others Mendelssohn, celebrated poets and philosophers like Heine and Hegel failed to appreciate them. I am now told even rock musicians borrow and steal from Bach. Entire books have been written about such marginal works as THE MUSICAL OFFERING and the CELLO SUITES.
              SARTRE ON BACH
              “He taught how to find originality within an established discipline; actually – how to live.”
              SCHWEITZER ON BACH
              “In his strict polyphony a volcanic emotion and thought were embedded.”
              STEVEN ISSERLIS
              I have been listening to his rendition of the CELLO SUITES. Too “correct” and mechanical to be of any interest. I much prefer the “perpetual rubato” of Casals which gives the Suites the natural flow of human speech thus making them more human and accessible.
              TWO THINGS TO AVOID
              Clichés – unless in an ironic context.
              Self-assessments – unless negative.
              A QUESTION OF IDENTITY
              I question the Armenian identity of readers whose every word drips with the concentrated venom of seven Turkish vipers.
              MONTHERLANT
              “It is important for a man, at least once in his life, to have believed he is about to die: parenthetically, this is one of the gifts war gives to man.”
              #

Comment

June 6, 2010
                AN ANGRY OBJECTION
                A reader writes:
                “When you speak of Ottomanism and Sovietism – are you sure you are not projecting your own problems on the rest of us? I too was born and raised in an Armenian family and I feel neither Ottomanized nor Sovietized.”
                There may be two explanations for that: (one) you are either an exception to the rule – and when I write I speak of rules not of exceptions, and (two) you are in denial. Though your inability to entertain ideas that are not your own may well be seen as a symptom of Ottomano-Sovietism.
                My function as a writer is to make the unconscious conscious; or to light a candle, not to convince you to like what you see. I can give you an explanation. What I cannot give you is understanding.
                I define Ottomanism and Sovietism as two belief systems that legitimize intolerance or the unshakable conviction that it is their right and duty to silence those who do not believe in their fallacies. In that sense, both the Sultan and Stalin are not dead; they are very much alive in all of us as assumptions that intolerance is not a vice but one of the cardinal virtues.
                Ottomanism and Sovietism are not the only two aberrations to which we subscribe and from which we suffer. Even more dangerous and far more insidious is Levantinism – the notion that Capital and God are one, that the profit motive is a respectable one, and that benefactors and their hirelings are not empty suits but royalties.
                Dzour nesdink shidag khosink.
                Very much like the Yanks in the McCarthy era, we too have a HUAC or a House Un-Armenian Activities Committee, whose members belong to a church, political party, or philanthropic organization, and sometimes all three at once, who believe it is their patriotic duty to silence those who, by disagreeing with their dogmas, plot the destruction of the land.
                In a French magazine I read the following headline about a grizzly murder: “He was the most subservient husband but one day he beheaded her.”
                We too were the most loyal, that is to say, subservient subjects of the Empire...But to paraphrase an old Chinese proverb: “No honeymoon under heaven is endless.” To quote another familiar French saying: “The more things change, the more they stay the same.”
                The Sultan and Stalin are dead. Long live our mini-sultans and neo-commissars!
                As for the charge that I have en eye only for the negative: that's like saying to an oncologist, “You have an eye only for tumors.”
                #

Comment

Originally posted by arabaliozian View Post
                  may i have a sample of my arrogance?
                  a line or two will do.
                  Here ya go

allow me to share a professional secret with you.
                  the greatest insult that a reader can deliver to a writer
                  is to ignore him.
                  i once stumbled into an armenian forum
                  that was a vipers' nest of hostile readers
                  who treated me like a leper.
                  but ever since i shared this secret with them,
                  i have been left alone.
                  peace is wonderful!

Comment

Originally posted by levon View Post
                    Here ya go

allow me to share a professional secret with you.
                    the greatest insult that a reader can deliver to a writer
                    is to ignore him.
                    i once stumbled into an armenian forum
                    that was a vipers' nest of hostile readers
                    who treated me like a leper.
                    but ever since i shared this secret with them,
                    i have been left alone.
                    peace is wonderful!
                    I actually liked that bit, you have to read over like 3 times to make sense of it
                    "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
                      I actually liked that bit, you have to read over like 3 times to make sense of it
                      I liked it too, but it delivers exactly what he asked of me.
                      Last edited by levon; 06-07-2010, 12:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X