Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Muammar Gaddafi and Libyan crisis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Muammar Gaddafi and Libyan crisis

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
    Wait, are you talking about Gadaffi or every U.S. president since the inception of American land?
    Every US president has killed his own people and ordered air strikes on his own civilians?

Actually in recent years the West and Gadaffi have become rather close - relations have been mending, of course a major reason for that being oil. For the West, it would be better for Gadaffi to stay at this point - they have decent relations with him - and most importantly, the oil if flowing. Who knows what the rebel government might entail. But I'm not looking for any sides interests, I'm looking for these people to have a ruler who doesn't with disregard massacre his people - plus he's had a very nasty regime and taken people out according to his will.
    Last edited by Mos; 03-15-2011, 02:14 PM.
    Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
    ---
    "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Originally posted by Mos View Post
      Every US president has killed his own people and ordered air strikes on his own civilians?
      No, every US president has lied about other regimes killing their people in order to launch air strikes on other countries. Civilian deaths are noted as "collateral damage".
      "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

No, every US president has lied about other regimes killing their people in order to launch air strikes on other countries. Civilian deaths are noted as "collateral damage".
        First off, that is very different from president killing his own people. Second off, the US is not alone in some of the mistakes and crimes it has done. Every nation in its height of power has committed crimes against humanity. Look at the Britain during it's height of power, the crimes they committed in their colonisation dwarfs the crimes USA has committed today. Look at Napoleon's Empire or the Mongols or the Soviets in Afghanistan, and the list goes on. I understand you are on a anti-USA agenda, but just remember to keep everything in context and remember what other powers have done during their height of power. It's not like the "evil American imperialists" are the first country to ever invade another country unjustified or to meddle in other countries affairs when they don't have to. In fact, any country in America's position of power would do that, no doubt, and history proves that. It doesn't make their acts justified, but just puts everything in context.
        Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
        ---
        "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

First off, that is very different from president killing his own people. Second off, the US is not alone in some of the mistakes and crimes it has done. Every nation in its height of power has committed crimes against humanity. Look at the Britain during it's height of power, the crimes they committed in their colonisation dwarfs the crimes USA has committed today. Look at Napoleon's Empire or the Mongols or the Soviets in Afghanistan, and the list goes on. I understand you are on a anti-USA agenda, but just remember to keep everything in context and remember what other powers have done during their height of power. It's not like the "evil American imperialists" are the first country to ever invade another country unjustified or to meddle in other countries affairs when they don't have to. In fact, any country in America's position of power would do that, no doubt, and history proves that. It doesn't make their acts justified, but just puts everything in context.

I think you fail to understand that America is not a nation and neither is Libya. The country known today as Libya has only existed since the end of World War II, and was the product of a shotgun marriage of the three “provinces”: Tripolitania, in the West, Cyrenaica, in the East, and Fezzan in the South. “Libya” was created, first, by the Italians in 1933, who sought to incorporate the three distinct areas into a unified colony. After the defeat of the Axis powers, the British took control and installed an “emir” in Cyrenaica.

Ottoman Provinces Of Libya

Actually, I’m surprised Gaddafi hasn't proclaimed himself as the Libyan Abraham Lincoln, a heroic leader who will stop at nothing to save the sacred unitary state.

The Western powers want a single state to deal with and exploit, and so does the Arab League, because if the state was to split up, that opens up a whole new can of worms, throwing into question the borders of states created in the wake of the Ottoman Empire's collapse (including what the hell happened to Western Armenia?!?!?!).

If Cyrenaica can secede from Tripoli, then why can’t the Kurds secede from Iraq? – and the Shi’ites of the Saudi Kingdom’s Eastern province rid themselves of their Sunni overlords?
          __________________________________________________ ____________

Also, some more history about "modern" US involvement in North Africa:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Barbary_War
          The First Barbary War (1801–1805), also known as the Barbary Coast War or the Tripolitan War, was the first of two wars fought between the United States and the North African Muslim states known collectively as the Barbary States. These were the independent Sultanate of Morocco and Tripoli, which were a quasi-independent entities nominally belonging to the Ottoman Empire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Barbary_War
          The Second Barbary War (1815), also known as the Algerine or Algerian War, was the second of two wars fought between the United States and the Ottoman Empire's North African regencies of Algiers, Tripoli, and Tunis, known collectively as the Barbary States. The war between the Barbary States and the U.S. ended in 1815.

Terrorism In Early America
          The U.S. Wages War Against The Barbary States
          To End International Blackmail and Terrorism

Almost 180 years ago our infant country attacked Tripoli under circumstances that are eerily similar to contemporary times. That conflict, immortalized in the Marine Corps Hymn, "From the Halls of Montezuma to the shores of Tripoli" called the Tripolitan War or the Barbary Pirate War, came shortly after we gained our independence from England. The United States chose to fight the pirates of Barbary, rather than pay tribute, as did all the other nations who traded in the Mediterranean Sea. The decision was bold, but the eventual victory by the tiny United States Navy broke a pattern of international blackmail and terrorism dating back more than one hundred and fifty years.

http://www.earlyamerica.com/review/2.../terrorism.htm
          Last edited by KanadaHye; 03-15-2011, 03:52 PM.
          "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

I think you fail to understand that America is not a nation and neither is Libya. The country known today as Libya has only existed since the end of World War II, and was the product of a shotgun marriage of the three “provinces”: Tripolitania, in the West, Cyrenaica, in the East, and Fezzan in the South. “Libya” was created, first, by the Italians in 1933, who sought to incorporate the three distinct areas into a unified colony. After the defeat of the Axis powers, the British took control and installed an “emir” in Cyrenaica.

Ottoman Provinces Of Libya

Actually, I’m surprised Gaddafi hasn't proclaimed himself as the Libyan Abraham Lincoln, a heroic leader who will stop at nothing to save the sacred unitary state.

The Western powers want a single state to deal with and exploit, and it is doubly unacceptable to the Arab League, because it opens up a whole new can of worms, throwing into question the borders of states created in the wake of the Ottoman Empire's collapse. If Cyrenaica can secede from Tripoli, then why can’t the Kurds secede from Iraq? – and the Shi’ites of the Saudi Kingdom’s Eastern province rid themselves of their Sunni overlords?
            Neither was the British Empire a "nation" or some of the other powers mentioned, but that's besides the point I wasn't talking about Libya in my post but about the false notion that America is the only power to have exploited its position of power and in fact this exploitation has been milder than what other powers have done when they were in a similar position of power. US has done some wrong things, that's a given, but it's important for people to see all this in historical context and realise any country in such a position of power will naturally do some nasty things. As I've said power naturally corrupts governments and countries.
            Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
            ---

Comment

Neither was the British Empire a "nation" or some of the other powers mentioned, but that's besides the point I wasn't talking about Libya in my post but about the false notion that America is the only power to have exploited its position of power and in fact this exploitation has been milder than what other powers have done when they were in a similar position of power. US has done some wrong things, that's a given, but it's important for people to see all this in historical context and realise any country in such a position of power will naturally do some nasty things. As I've said power naturally corrupts governments and countries.
              No, it takes a certain type of individual to do nasty things as not everyone is inherently capable of it. Gaddafi is falsely being blamed for things that aren't true so that Western powers can further exploit the people of Libya. I'm certainly not saying Gaddafi is a good ruler with good intentions towards the people of Libya but the alternative can certainly be a lot worse for the people of Libya. Russia agrees Gaddafi has got to go but they also realize there is a time and place for everything and up until now, Gaddafi hasn't done anything and his removal by force would be premature and unjustifiable.

Comment

No, it takes a certain type of individual to do nasty things as not everyone is inherently capable of it. Gaddafi is falsely being blamed for things that aren't true so that Western powers can further exploit the people of Libya. I'm certainly not saying Gaddafi is a good ruler with good intentions towards the people of Libya but the alternative can certainly be a lot worse for the people of Libya. Russia agrees Gaddafi has got to go but they also realize there is a time and place for everything and up until now, Gaddafi hasn't done anything and his removal by force would be premature and unjustifiable.
                So having so many civilians in arms, sacrificing their lives against Gaddaffi's more advanced army is not justified enough for Gaddaffi's immediate removal? When a leader is forced to bomb his own people and respond the way he responded, he loses the right to govern that people. If he was a leader truly worthy of leading his people, this bloodshed wouldn't have happened.

However that still doesn't have to do with the point I've been making in my last few posts.
                Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
                ---

Comment

So having so many civilians in arms, sacrificing their lives against Gaddaffi's more advanced army is not justified enough for Gaddaffi's immediate removal? When a leader is forced to bomb his own people and respond the way he responded, he loses the right to govern that people. If he was a leader truly worthy of leading his people, this bloodshed wouldn't have happened.

However that still doesn't have to do with the point I've been making in my last few posts.
                  Where is your proof of any statements against Gaddafi? Who are these rebels? Who are they loyal to? Are they really acting in the interest of all of Libya's people or are they a pack of thugs hired by outsiders?

Comment

Yes, it's a civil war, these things happen just like they happen in the history of all civil wars. Ghazafi is not bombing civilians, he is bombing armed fighters who have all the weaponry he has (stolen from army bases). They even have some air power as evidenced by today's rebel bombing of a Libyan ship. They are simply whining and wh0ring themselves out to the West because they do not have as much air power/experience so they want a no-fly zone to balance the equation.

Don't believe everything you hear from these Western outlets. Russia Today's interview with the UN envoy seems more accurate, so does the views of Francis Boyle in the interview I posted and that radio host interviewed by RT.

Meanwhile in Bahrain, the military is not attacking armed rebels, it is attacking protesters. Saudi Arabia and the UAE just invaded Bahrain. Where is the US? I thought they had parked the 6th or whatever-th fleet in the country? All the West sees is potential privatisation of oil fields.
                    Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

Originally posted by Federate View Post

Meanwhile in Bahrain, the military is not attacking armed rebels, it is attacking protesters. Saudi Arabia and the UAE just invaded Bahrain. Where is the US? I thought they had parked the 6th or whatever-th fleet in the country? All the West sees is potential privatisation of oil fields.
                      Bahrain fires at protesters; 2 dead, 150 injured

(CNN) -- Bahrain security forces fired tear gas and rubber bullets at protesters in the southern city of Sitra on Tuesday, killing at least two protesters and wounding at least 150 people, according to medical officials on the scene Tuesday.

"They are killing everybody," one official said. "They attacked us -- even medical personnel."

The man, who asked to be identified only as a medical official for fear of reprisals, said he was riding with patients in an ambulance as he spoke.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/meast/...ex.html?hpt=T2

Gaddafi Says European Friends Betrayed Him

Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi said he felt betrayed by former European allies like Italy's Silvio Berlusconi who have turned against him and said business links with Europe risked lasting damage.

Gaddafi dismissed demands by world powers for a no-fly zone over Libya or the possibility of airstrikes, telling Tuesday's edition of the Italian daily Il Giornale that: "We will fight and win. A situation of that type will only serve to unite the Libyan people."

The Libyan leader said French President Nicolas Sarkozy, who has officially recognized the rebel Libyan National Council and called for targeted airstrikes, had a "mental disorder."

In the interview, Gaddafi said the criticism of his rule from Europe, culminating in a demand by EU leaders that he leave power, had threatened ties.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/42084554?__so...ext|&par=otbrn

Comment

Working...
                      X