Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

What happened to our culture in the diaspora?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to our culture in the diaspora?

A thought-provoking article by Christopher Atamian that recently ran in Ararat magazine.

It was while translating Krikor Beledian’s 50 Years of Armenian Literature in France from French into English that I discovered that Missak Manouchian and I were cousins. Who was Missak Manouchian and why is my relation to him important? I will delve into both these matters a bit later on in this short essay, which I have purposefully structured like a chassé-croisé, a weaving of ideas and observations.

For over fifty years there existed in France several generations of Armenian writers, most of them refugees in one way or another from Ottoman lands, who wrote almost entirely in Armenian for an Armenian audience. Some of them, such as Zareh Vorpuni, Hratch Zartarian, Nigoghos Sarafian and Shahan Shahnur, were part of the so-called Menk or We group. Others, I am thinking in particular of the stunning feminist writer Zabel Yessayan, were only peripherally part of what has become known as the “Paris School,” “Ecole de Paris” or “Parisi Tbrotsuh.” These writers produced numerous novels, plays, magazines, newspapers, feuilletons, essays, medical treatises — you name it — all in Western Armenian.

What is most remarkable to me about these now-departed writers? Simply that they wrote in Western Armenian for an Armenian audience. All this, we must realize, has been lost, perhaps one of the last phases of the Aghet or Catastrophe. We have lost our language however, not simply because of the Turkish will to annihilation but also because of our own cultural priorities and our own will to forget. I attended a French Lycée in New York, for example, which is part of a global network of schools that has produced literally hundreds of thousands of francophone citizens across the globe. In fact, in my year and the year below me at the New York school, not less than four students have become recognized and even prize-winning authors — in French.

Full article available here.

Re: What happened to our culture in the diaspora?

Do you know how to contact the editor of the magazine?

There's no contact section on their entire website.

Comment

Not sure. Maybe try AGBU headquarters?

Comment

He lost credibility by not limiting himself to just a lament for things lost but going on to claim "While Armenians are not as populous as the French, there is no reason that they cannot build schools every bit as good as the French lycées". Or, more correctly, he lost credibility by claiming it in a magazine run by the Melkonian Institute-closing AGBU and not making any mention of the fate of the Melkonian Institute.
        Last edited by bell-the-cat; 12-05-2011, 04:48 AM.
        Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by One-Way View Post
          Do you know how to contact the editor of the magazine?

There's no contact section on their entire website.
          Aris Sevag (Araratmagazine.org editor) [email protected].
          Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

The closure and monetising of the Melkonian Institute is one of the biggest betrayal against the (diaspora) Armenian Nation of recent times.

This crime and incompetence had been on-going since the assets of the Parerar Hayrigs (benefactors) Melkonian Brothers were passed to the AGBU who subsequently squandered it.
            The crime came to its zenith with the attempt to pull down the School and sell the estate for commercial development.

Unashamedly the AGBU thus far has refused to explain the fate of the School.

As far as I am aware the School Buildings and the surrounding land and small forest has been declared as a cultural heritage site (of Cyprus !!) by the Cyprus Government to the frustration of the AGBU.

Also I understand the site is being used as a Greek Secondary School (College).
            This sad situation is very close to to my heart since I have spent a few years at the school in my teens.
            Politics is not about the pursuit of morality nor what's right or wrong
            Its about self interest at personal and national level often at odds with the above.
            Great politicians pursue the National interest and small politicians personal interests

Comment

That's true about Melkonian. But he has a point about the focus on churches rather than on [secular] schools or cultural centers.

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
                Aris Sevag (Araratmagazine.org editor) [email protected].
                Thank you!

Comment

It is disgusting how we view Armenian language and literature as somehow "less than" or less worthwhile.

Comment

Working...
                  X