Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Civil Disobedience or Lawlessness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dan And how did you arrive to that conclusion? What's so different about gay couples and straight couples when it comes to income? it's post-spending that gay couples and straight couples differ..
    You did not read the post thoroughly enough. I said that most gay couples have two sources of income. This is because both are working because they can not produce or adopt children. Therefore, a partner is not required or obligated to stay home. Since there are two sources of income, there is a higher combined income in the household.

Implications can be derived from that conclusion. Money is not spent on children (food, clothes, transportation, time=money), so they have much more disposable income. Because they are not producing members of the market, the economy is not provided with more consumers. So why shouldnt they have higher taxes to give to the government?

Simple logic. That is how I came to that conclusion. Then again, who needs common sense?

Comment

Originally posted by loseyourname So a mayor should be able to unilaterally act in violation of state and federal law if he feels that law is unconstitutional? In a way, I think this is the most beautiful thing I have seen happen politically in quite some time. But another part of me fears that this sets a dangerous precedent. I don't want to use a slippery slope argument because that is an invalid form of argumentation, but nonetheless, it is a bit worrisome.
      It is worrisome that a city would violate the consititution. Loose interpretation has become too broad a term. If policy becomes inconsistent, then it is bad policy. I do believe that local government is the best representation of the people. I especially enjoy state sovereignty. They are violating state constitution and federal, therefore, I am opposed to the recent marriage because it threw due process out the window. The constitution was ratified by due process, so to disregaurd due process, is in essence to disregaurd the constitution. Rule of law is a device which protects citizens from in this nation from the government. The fact that a city government has exempted itself from policy and rule of law is dangerous precedent.

If, however, gay marriages were ratified, I would have an economic problem with it. Others would have problems because of opinions. In short, I am against what SF is doing because it mocks due process, and steps over the boundaries of state sovereignty.

Also, I might add that the mayor did not do this on his own. He did it with consent of city counsel.

Comment

surferarmo, cut the insults please, first of all.
        second, you're talking about the traditional (old days) family where the wife stays at home. almost all women in Toronto who are married go to work (exceptions exist). I am talking about the majority here, and the majority of couples, be they straight or gay do go to work. as i said, it is only the post-spending amount of remaining money that varies.

Comment

You must be vehemently opposed to keeping the focus of a thread.

I brought up the points to clearly illustrate the arguements for those who have a political and economic standpoint opposed to gay marriages. The point is, it violates the Fed and State constitution which was ratified by due process. Instead of adopting a resolution or making an ammendment the city of SF said "Screw it" and did their own thing. That is not right by political standards and it sets a scary precedent. This has nothing to do with being Republican or Democrat or Green, this is a simple matter of process. The city of SF is wrong.

Comment

What do incomes have to do with the argument then? I fail to see your point about the incomes. Gay couples can adopt children and help the economy by reducing the pressure and amount of money needed for orphanages, etc.

Btw, isn't civil disobedience a form of lawlessness anyway? So isn't it a subset rather than a different category in and of itself?

As for my point of view on this, I disagree with what they did. I'd say it's more lawlessness than civil disobedience.

Comment

Originally posted by surferarmo It is worrisome that a city would violate the consititution. Loose interpretation has become too broad a term. If policy becomes inconsistent, then it is bad policy. I do believe that local government is the best representation of the people. I especially enjoy state sovereignty. They are violating state constitution and federal, therefore, I am opposed to the recent marriage because it threw due process out the window. The constitution was ratified by due process, so to disregaurd due process, is in essence to disregaurd the constitution. Rule of law is a device which protects citizens from in this nation from the government. The fact that a city government has exempted itself from policy and rule of law is dangerous precedent.
              How far would you like to extend local sovereignty? I think it is safe to say that the people of San Francisco want this to take place, and that they had little say as to whether or not the state and federal laws were ever put into place. Why should people in a metropolitan city have to be governed by country bumpkins, and vice versa? Certainly we need some amount of centralized government to maintain any creedence in world affairs and an acceptable level of national security, but in a nation this large and this diverse, can't there be a way of giving localities more autonomy and more of an individual voice in the way they are governed?

Comment

Originally posted by Dan What do incomes have to do with the argument then? I fail to see your point about the incomes. Gay couples can adopt children and help the economy by reducing the pressure and amount of money needed for orphanages, etc.

Btw, isn't civil disobedience a form of lawlessness anyway? So isn't it a subset rather than a different category in and of itself?

As for my point of view on this, I disagree with what they did. I'd say it's more lawlessness than civil disobedience.
                Gay couples are not allowed by law to adopt children.

Comment

Originally posted by loseyourname How far would you like to extend local sovereignty? I think it is safe to say that the people of San Francisco want this to take place, and that they had little say as to whether or not the state and federal laws were ever put into place. Why should people in a metropolitan city have to be governed by country bumpkins, and vice versa? Certainly we need some amount of centralized government to maintain any creedence in world affairs and an acceptable level of national security, but in a nation this large and this diverse, can't there be a way of giving localities more autonomy and more of an individual voice in the way they are governed?
                  Well, yes they did have say in the formation of the constitution. They vote in members of congress who represent them at a national level. Also, they elect assembly people to represent us at a state level. A city should have the autonomy to the fullest capacity that it does not hinder or undermine the constitution of the state or nation.

As for you last question, I am listening.

Comment

Originally posted by surferarmo Gay couples are not allowed by law to adopt children.
                    yes, but I am talking strictly about the potential economical benefits to the system.

besides, we were talking income pre-expenditure not post-expenditure.

Comment

Originally posted by surferarmo Well, yes they did have say in the formation of the constitution. They vote in members of congress who represent them at a national level. Also, they elect assembly people to represent us at a state level. A city should have the autonomy to the fullest capacity that it does not hinder or undermine the constitution of the state or nation.

As for you last question, I am listening.
                      I wish I had an answer, but hey, I'm only a biology student. The best model I can really think of is the Iroqois nation. I'm not sure what the finer details of the governmental structure were, but I know that each tribe (out of an eventual six) maintained autonomy, keeping its own laws and customs and its own tribal leaders. They existed as six sovereign nations. They were bound by treaty to maintain joint war and negotiation efforts. Surely this could be extended to maintaining a national currency, and leaving our armed forces the way the are. There was no president of the confederation as far as I know, just a council of tribal leaders that made joint decisions, but again, these decisions were limited to actions regarding outside entities. Basically, this means that there would have to exist some council of state leaders that would make foreign policy decisions, but all domestic policy would be unique to each state. I suppose the idea would be similar to the European Union, but with a federal army and no separate officeholders. State borders would of course remain open. Federal bureaucracy, regulations, and income taxes would be completely done away with. Aww heck, this is all so scattershot, let me think this through a bit more. Perhaps you have some ideas. It's not like such a drastic restructuring of the US government is going to happen anyway. Still, it does at least seem possible, if we could only maintain stability within the administration - basically meaning we don't switch parties every time the short-term economy goes south but rather focus on long-term goals - to do away with a good deal of federal government currently in existence, especially the extremely bloated executive branch.

Comment

Working...
                      X