Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Mind Over Matter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mind Over Matter

From yahoo:

Placebo Effect

Apparently, people can be tricked into feeling better without any external biochemical manipulation. This would seem to lead to the conclusion that it should be possible for a human being to simply will himself into alleviation of symptoms. What do you think?

Hmmm this sounds very familiar!!!!

Nice to know my opinions actual ment something and now its proven!!!!!!

Sorry lose I've elaborated on this subject so many times, I can't think of something new to say about it! When I do I will post!

Love you Lose!

Comment

I don't doubt it for a second - the mind is a very powerful thing.

Here's another scenario...

I heard this story from someone, and apparently, it's supposed to be based on facts.

The big guys in power decided that they wanted to conduct an experiment on one of the inmates of the prison. They tied this guy to a chair, hands behind his back, and manipulated him into believing that they were going to pour boiling water on his hands. They kept repeating this for hours. Finally, they did pour some water on his hands, although the temperature was far from boiling, more like room temperature.

The guy got 3rd degree burns.

Comment

I agree with flames... I don't doubt it either. I think I've heard that water burn story somewhere (class maybe?).

Faith/belief has a lot to do with this. You believe you are going to get better as a result of taking the medicine.

Faith can heal - not religious faith specifically, but faith and confidence that what medicines you're taking and steps you're taking to feel better are acutally going to make you well. One thing about placebo's- the more confident both patients and doctors are in what they are doing, the more likely people are to heal.

Carl Elliott- London Review of Books, explaining how important placebos can be:

...people who take their placebos diligently do better than those who take them only occasionally; placebo injections work better than placebo pills; brand name placebos relieve pain better than generic placebos; and blue placebos are better sedatives than red ones - except for Italian men, for whom the opposite is true. If phenomena like this puzzle us it is because we have grown too accustomed to the machinery model of medicine, whereby the body is reduced to a complex device and doctors to mechanics. According to the machinery model, placebos should not work at all. Placebos don't work "mechanically," they work socially and psychologically. They work because of our attitudes and beliefs. It's not just a matter of what goes on in our heads, but what goes on in our interactions with other people and the larger culture around us...

When it comes to healing, feeling better, getting well, it is very much a matter of confidence and optimism - when people feel confident and "in control," it isn't unusual for them to do better. This fact goes above and beyond clinical matters...

And what do you think of this? "blue placebos are better sedatives than red ones - except for Italian men, for whom the opposite is true." Hmmm!
        The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Comment

You guys are ignoring my question at the end? Do you think, given this evidence, that a person can consciously will himself, without the aid of a placebo or any other suggestion, into alleviation of symptoms?

Comment

Originally posted by loseyourname You guys are ignoring my question at the end? Do you think, given this evidence, that a person can consciously will himself, without the aid of a placebo or any other suggestion, into alleviation of symptoms?
            Loser, humans are weak. They need something to believe in (a placebo). So in response to your question, I'd have to say no. I'm sure that there can be exceptions, as there are to anything. However, the majority of people would not be able to control their minds, much less their bodies. Is that sufficient for an explanation?

Comment

Originally posted by loseyourname You guys are ignoring my question at the end? Do you think, given this evidence, that a person can consciously will himself, without the aid of a placebo or any other suggestion, into alleviation of symptoms?
              No. Placebo's work because the person doesn't know that it is a placebo. He thinks he's getting the real thing. Without the aid of something like the placebo I doubt someone could just sit there and wish to feel better and do so...
              The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Comment

I agree!

Comment

Originally posted by ckBejug No. Placebo's work because the person doesn't know that it is a placebo. He thinks he's getting the real thing. Without the aid of something like the placebo I doubt someone could just sit there and wish to feel better and do so...
                  This at least proves that it is theoretically possible. If external suggestion can produce the desired effects, then autosuggestion should be able to do the same. The question is one of willpower and belief.

Comment

Originally posted by loseyourname This at least proves that it is theoretically possible. If external suggestion can produce the desired effects, then autosuggestion should be able to do the same. The question is one of willpower and belief.
                    If it is something like an anxiety disorder, or some kind of manic mood disorder, I can see how believing that you will be better and willing yourself to feel better, being optimistic, confident, and happy, can indeed bring upon some desired effect... However, foe something more than those kinds of emotional problems, say for example cancer, it seems that there needs to be the suggestion of something that will lead to a cure of the ailment- for example a placebo that could be in the form of fake surgery, or pills, or injections, etc. Did you read what I quoted in my first reply about how placebo effects vary in their degrees of helpfullness? Sure, we can very well trick our mind into believing we are being administered something that is going make us better, and we get better. However, it seems unlikely that in the absence of such a tangible thing we'd be able to feel better just by autosuggestion.

Comment

Working...
                    X