Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Lent or Bahk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lent or Bahk

I know a lot of you around here are agnostic or atheist or whatever but who else observes Lent?

Some things about Lent.

Lent is a forty-day period before Easter. It begins on Ash Wednesday February 25 2004 and ends on April 10 2004.

In the Roman Catholic Church, Lent officially ends at sundown on April 8 (Holy Thursday), with the beginning of the mass of the Lord’s Supper.

In the Orthodox church, this season is called the Great Lent (Medz Bahk). It begins on Clean Monday (tomorrow- February 22, 2004).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lent is a season of soul-searching and repentance. It is a season for reflection and taking stock. Lent originated in the very earliest days of the Church as a preparatory time for Easter, when the faithful rededicated themselves and when converts were instructed in the faith and prepared for baptism. By observing the forty days of Lent, the individual Christian imitates Jesus’ withdrawal into the wilderness for forty days. Lent has been observed in the church since apostolic times.

Some people do complete fasts during Lent.

The Western Church
    Because Sunday is the day of the Resurrection, we skip over Sundays when we calculate the length of Lent. Therefore, in the Western Church, Lent always begins on Ash Wednesday, the seventh Wednesday before Easter.

In many countries, the last day before Lent (called Mardi Gras, Shrove Tuesday, Carnival, or Fasching) has become a last fling before the solemnity of Lent. For centuries, it was customary to fast by abstaining from meat during Lent, which is why some people call the festival Carnival, which is Latin for farewell to meat.

The Eastern Church
    The Eastern Church does not skip over Sundays when calculating the length of the Great Lent. Therefore, the Great Lent always begins on Clean Monday, the seventh Monday before Easter, and ends on the Friday before Palm Sunday—using of course the eastern date for Easter. The Lenten fast is relaxed on the weekends in honor of the Sabbath (Saturday) and the Resurrection (Sunday). The Great Lent is followed by Lazarus Saturday and Palm Sunday, which are feast days, then the Lenten fast resumes on Monday of Holy Week. Technically, in the Eastern Church, Holy Week is a separate season from the Great Lent.

Special Days
    The purpose of the liturgical calendar is to relive the major events in Jesus’ life in real time, which is why Lent is forty days long. If Jesus were born on December 25, then His conception would have been nine months earlier, on about March 25. That is when the angel Gabriel would have announced Jesus’ birth to Mary. Thus March 25 is known in the historic church as The Annunciation.

Roughly speaking, the western Church consists of Protestants, Catholics, and Anglicans. The eastern Church consists of the Eastern Orthodox churches, the Oriental Orthodox churches, and the eastern-rite churches affiliated with the Roman Catholic Church.
    The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

I told my sister for lent she should give up her Catholocism.

Comment

Originally posted by loseyourname I told my sister for lent she should give up her Catholocism.
      I think that will be the funniest thing I will have read today.

Comment

I love milk toooooo much, so i cant do bahk! unless if i do it and i still drink milk.....cuz im addicted to milk!

Comment

yup.
          one day down and counting.
          I don't skip any days.
          those are made up stuff.
          it's supposed to be 40 days straight.
          and the night before easter, you go to church for communion, and then you go home and eat FISH. yum
          can't wait. lol.
          so even though you're not supposed to announce it lol, wish me luck people.
          the first week is the hardest.
          ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU FIND OUT THE FIRST DAY THAT FREAKIN TRADITIONAL CHEX MIX HAS MILK IN IT!!

Comment

I used to believe in it, until i walked in on a priest cowing down on pepperoni pizza right aftre he was barkin about how important it is to keep bahk.

besides have you noticed majoriity who do it are women, its just another diet with a religious excuse.

women who don't wanna admit theyre fat and need to diet love this time of year.

Comment

Originally posted by PASAMONSTER I used to believe in it, until i walked in on a priest cowing down on pepperoni pizza right aftre he was barkin about how important it is to keep bahk.

besides have you noticed majoriity who do it are women, its just another diet with a religious excuse.

women who don't wanna admit theyre fat and need to diet love this time of year.
              actually..it wouldnt be a good excuse to diet..because during lent people eat a lot more of bread, rice, nuts, pasta..well bascially they just eat a lot of carbs...and carbs are the devil for people who are on a diet

Comment

Working...
              X