Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

notes / comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: notes / comments

Sunday, February 04, 2007
    REFLECTIONS
    An Armenian bears two crosses, and the heavier of the two is not his own.
    If talk is cheap and if “he who speaks does not know,” when, O when shall I acquire the wisdom of silence?
    My critical remarks may damage our prestige in the eyes of the world; I am reminded once in a while. To which I can only say, what prestige? Most people are not even aware of our existence or, if they are, they tend to confuse us with Romanians and Arameans. To the rest we might as well be an open book and a political cliché. If they flatter us it may be because we can be of some use to them. Which means their opinions of us is so low that they think they can manipulate us with phony sentiments. I don’t call that prestige, I call that an insult.
    When does hatred of the enemy end and self-hatred begin? Muslims in the Middle East today hate one another more than they hate the West, and judging by the venom in our discussions forums, letters to the editor, and our recent history, how different are we?
    Honorat de Bueil: “Nature is jealous of our prosperity. She allots a longer lifespan to thorns than to roses.”
    #

Comment

Monday, February 05, 2007
      GUESSING GOD
      If God exists, He wants us to go about our business as though He didn’t. Gone are the days of the Old Testament when He micromanaged human affairs. No more Burning Bushes, Ave-Maria archangels, angels, and prophets. His message to mankind seems to be: If you don’t make use of the brain I have given you, don’t bother me with your problems.
      What if our ancestors were smarter than we are? Mention if you can a modern figure comparable to Confucius, Buddha, Socrates, and Jesus. What if the writers of the Old Testament were smart enough to know they were writing science fiction? What if a thousand years from now mankind will study the Old Testament the way we study books on Greek mythology today?
      When speaking of God, it is wiser to ask questions than to answer them. Or, like Buddha, treat Him as though He did not exist.
      “Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord in vain.” Buddha may be said to have been the only major religious leader who took this commandment so literally that Buddhism is the only major belief systems that is atheist.
      #

Comment

Tuesday, February 06, 2007
        CANADIAN ENCOUNTERS
        The first time I said something remotely critical about an unimportant aspect of Canadian life, an elegantly dressed and attractive lady said: “If you don’t like it here, why don’t you go back where you came from?”
        When I asked her if she had a favorite painter, a local artist replied: “Eengrass.” It took me a while to realize she had meant Ingres.
        When after a long interval I met an old friend in the street and asked about his mother, whom I had met on several occasions, he replied: “We don’t know where she is. She ran away with a younger man and we haven’t heard from her since.”
        A CANADIAN IN ITALY
        “How do you say pizza in Italian?”
        PATRIOTS
        Our partisans don’t like my kind of writing. They think I insult Armenishness. And what’s even more absurd, they consider themselves competent judges, even though they have more skeletons in their closet than breathing specimens with brains in their living room. Only utter despair can lead a man to believe in his own lies.
        I’VE BEEN READING
        Barby d’Aurevilly: “The crimes of the most advanced civilizations are greater than those committed by the most backward barbarians.”
        Blaise Cendrars: “It is in the very things that they share that people differ the most from one another.”
        Sartre: “Half victim, half accomplice, like the rest of mankind.”
        Paul Valéry: “To believe that one understands is a very dangerous state of mind.”
        Balzac: “All power is a permanent conspiracy.”
        #

Comment

Wednesday, February 07, 2007
          QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
          Mention an unsolved mystery and someone is sure to spin a conspiracy theory.
          Ask an unanswerable question and someone is sure to come up with the wrong answer.
          People who hate fiction don’t see any contradiction in the fiction that is at the base of their belief system.
          When it comes to understanding, man seems to operate on the verge of starvation: any answer, no matter how untenable and absurd, is better than none.
          A priest once slapped me because I asked the wrong question. I no longer remember the question, but I remember the slap, which was no answer.
          MEN AND WOMEN
          To women, men are the most universal sources of disappointment. Did you know that the Chinese word for husband is “good for nothing”?
          The dumbest woman is smarter about men than the smartest man is about women.
          The most mysterious thing about women is not women themselves but man’s sudden, unpredictable, and incomprehensible transformation of red-hot passion to arctic indifference.
          AN IMPOSSIBLE DREAM
          There is only one way for the moderate to survive in a world of fanatics, and that’s by converting them to moderation. What could be more megalomaniacal to think that one has a chance to succeed where Socrates, Jesus, and Gandhi failed?
          FANATICS
          It could be said of them that the only thing they succeed in doing is adding to the contents of the cesspool in which they stand up to their necks.
          USEFUL QUOTATIONS
          Ernest Renan: “He who follows orders is almost always a better person than he who issues them.”
          Marcel Proust: “Every social class has its pathology.”
          #

Comment

Thursday, February 08, 2007
            CONFESSIONS OF AN ABOMINABLE NO MAN
            It is not enough to have all the right arguments on your side, you must also adapt them to the occasion; and if you are dealing from a position of weakness, you are expected to flatter your adversary into thinking he is right and to apologize for making a nuisance of yourself. If diplomacy, etiquette, and brown-nosing are not your forte, avoid criticizing those in power, and their flunkies, hirelings, friends, and relatives.
            SPIRIT OF CONTRADICTION
            If you make an obvious assertion, such as “the sun rises in the east,” or “two plus two make four,” someone is sure to contradict you. Anyone who has ever written for Armenians is familiar with this phenomenon.
            CAUSE FOR CELEBRATION
            Once in a while a reader who has engaged in Internet hooliganism writes to apologize. This is not something that happens every day or year. As a matter of fact, they are such rare occurrences that I am tempted to mark them on my calendar so that I may celebrate their anniversaries.
            LINES TO REMEMBER
            Henry de Montherlant: “Some people acquire a sense of justice only after they have suffered an injustice.”
            Raymond Queneau: “There is deception in all action, as there is error in all thought.”
            Henri Bosco: “Great decisions are not made, they make themselves.”
            #

Comment

Friday, February 09, 2007
              IRREFUTABLE ARGUMENTS
              Our partisans have three powerful arguments against their critics: (one) you are too young to know any better; (two) you are too old to be up to date with recent developments; and (three) you must be a member of the opposition.
              UNDERSTANDING GOD
              God is too large a concept to fit into anyone’s pocket. If you think God is on your side, He is sure to abandon you.
              ON FALLIBILITY
              Nothing can be as easy and natural as being wrong – wrong about God, wrong about oneself, wrong about the world, wrong about everything.
              IQ
              Only idiots brag about how smart they are.
              HEAVEN AND HELL
              Heaven is a place reserved only for those who have been through hell.
              SAVING FACE
              If you are out to save face, the gutter is not the best place to do it from.
              TURKISH PROVERB
              “Eshek khoshavnan ne annar?” (What does a jackass know about stewed raisins?)
              LINES WORTH REMEMBERING
              Simone de Beauvoir: “If one lives long enough one sees all victories turn into defeats.”
              Alphonse de Lamartine: “If you miss one person, the whole world seems empty.”
              Jules Supervielle: “I am a perfectly honest man. I disgust myself completely.”
              Francois de la Rochefoucauld: “We get so used to hiding our feelings from others that we end up hiding them from ourselves.”
              #

Comment

Saturday, February 10, 2007
                AFTER MY OWN HEART
                Francois de la Rochefoucauld: “Sometimes one is as different from oneself as from others.”
                Alain: “An error by Descartes is better than a truth by a pedant.”
                Pierre Mendes France: “Democracy is a state of mind.”
                George Bataille: “I believe truth has only one visage: that of a violent contradiction.”
                Gustave Le Bon: “Sooner or later a crime committed by all becomes a right.”
                Alfred de Vigny: “Something of the student remains in all professors.”
                Albert Camus: “If we fail to reconcile justice with liberty, we fail in all things.”
                Flaubert: “We should get rid of all flags – they have been soiled with too much blood and merde.”
                Paul Valéry: “I say this without any hesitation: a university degree is the mortal enemy of culture.”
                #

Comment

Sunday, February 11, 2007
                  THE ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM
                  When it comes to our identity, the elephant in the room is the Genocide. Whenever Armenians are mention in the foreign press, it’s in connection with the elephant.
                  As a child I was told about our Golden Age in the 5th Century AD, but I was not given an opportunity to draw any sense of identity from it. When I read Dostoevsky at the age of thirteen, I immediately made contact with what it means to be Russian; for the duration I felt more like a Russian than Armenian. Something similar could be said about Philip Roth and xxxishness, Negro spirituals and Negritude, Thomas Mann and German identity.
                  At one time or another I have been fascinated and deeply touched by many cultures, but I am afraid I cannot say the same about Armenian culture notwithstanding the fact that I have written a great deal on the subject, including a textbook titled THE ARMENIANS: THEIR HISTORY AND CULTURE. Speaking of which, on reading the manuscript of this book, I remember my editor complaining: “I don’t get a sense of place.” He probably meant to say identity. In my defense I said that I was not writing a book about Armenia but about Armenians, some of whose most noteworthy achievements – from Byzantine governance to contemporary finance -- had been made outside Armenia.
                  The question of Armenian identity came up to me while reading a collection of brief essays and memoirs on xxxish identity titled MATZO BALLS FOR BREAKFAST & OTHER MEMORIES OF GROWNG UP xxxISH by Alan King and Friends (New York, 2004). What does it mean to be Armenian? I regret to say I can’t come with a clear answer. In Greece where I was born and raised, I knew I was not Greek. In Italy where I studied for five years I never came close to feeling Italian. In Canada where I have spent most of my life and where I also acquired Canadian citizenship (as opposed to being the offspring of stateless Nansen refugees) I know I am not a Canadian, which is neither here nor there because most Canadians don’t know it either. I ask again: What does it mean to be Armenian? What do I have in common with my fellow Armenians, except the awareness that I share a tragedy in our recent past? I grew up hating Turks, but I see that now not as a positive but a negative, something to get over with as opposed to something to be nursed and hoarded, which is what our Ottomanized Turcophile pundits encourage us to do. There is nothing Armenian about being victimized by an oppressive regime. Oppressed people -- from American Indians to Untouchable Indians -- are a dime a dozen. Massacres from the Golden Age of Greek history (5th Century BC) to the present, have been a constant in human history.
                  Perhaps being Armenian means, for me at least, to be open to all cultures and to reject all forms of tyranny and barbarism. And when I speak of barbarism I don’t mean the barbarism of our enemies, but the barbarism that is within all of us.
                  #

Comment

Originally posted by arabaliozian
                    Sunday, February 11, 2007
                    THE ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM
                    When it comes to our identity, the elephant in the room is the Genocide. Whenever Armenians are mention in the foreign press, it’s in connection with the elephant.
                    As a child I was told about our Golden Age in the 5th Century AD, but I was not given an opportunity to draw any sense of identity from it. When I read Dostoevsky at the age of thirteen, I immediately made contact with what it means to be Russian; for the duration I felt more like a Russian than Armenian. Something similar could be said about Philip Roth and xxxishness, Negro spirituals and Negritude, Thomas Mann and German identity.
                    At one time or another I have been fascinated and deeply touched by many cultures, but I am afraid I cannot say the same about Armenian culture notwithstanding the fact that I have written a great deal on the subject, including a textbook titled THE ARMENIANS: THEIR HISTORY AND CULTURE. Speaking of which, on reading the manuscript of this book, I remember my editor complaining: “I don’t get a sense of place.” He probably meant to say identity. In my defense I said that I was not writing a book about Armenia but about Armenians, some of whose most noteworthy achievements – from Byzantine governance to contemporary finance -- had been made outside Armenia.
                    The question of Armenian identity came up to me while reading a collection of brief essays and memoirs on xxxish identity titled MATZO BALLS FOR BREAKFAST & OTHER MEMORIES OF GROWNG UP xxxISH by Alan King and Friends (New York, 2004). What does it mean to be Armenian? I regret to say I can’t come with a clear answer. In Greece where I was born and raised, I knew I was not Greek. In Italy where I studied for five years I never came close to feeling Italian. In Canada where I have spent most of my life and where I also acquired Canadian citizenship (as opposed to being the offspring of stateless Nansen refugees) I know I am not a Canadian, which is neither here nor there because most Canadians don’t know it either. I ask again: What does it mean to be Armenian? What do I have in common with my fellow Armenians, except the awareness that I share a tragedy in our recent past? I grew up hating Turks, but I see that now not as a positive but a negative, something to get over with as opposed to something to be nursed and hoarded, which is what our Ottomanized Turcophile pundits encourage us to do. There is nothing Armenian about being victimized by an oppressive regime. Oppressed people -- from American Indians to Untouchable Indians -- are a dime a dozen. Massacres from the Golden Age of Greek history (5th Century BC) to the present, have been a constant in human history.
                    Perhaps being Armenian means, for me at least, to be open to all cultures and to reject all forms of tyranny and barbarism. And when I speak of barbarism I don’t mean the barbarism of our enemies, but the barbarism that is within all of us.
                    #
                    Do you see an opportunity within the new Republic to create a clear and unifying identity which we lack?
                    I think at least among some there is a greater sense of pride in the success of Artsak. I realize this is not the same as an identity but it seems to provide a certain unifying factor on the political front.

Garik M.

Comment

Originally posted by gmd
                      Do you see an opportunity within the new Republic to create a clear and unifying identity which we lack?
                      I think at least among some there is a greater sense of pride in the success of Artsak. I realize this is not the same as an identity but it seems to provide a certain unifying factor on the political front.

Garik M.
                      Garik,

Does Ara B. ever respond to you. I get the feeling he thinks he's above everybody. Do you get this sense?

Comment

Working...
                      X