Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Poems by Siamanto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poems by Siamanto

[The following poem by Siamanto, (obviously) written before the Armenian Genocide of 1915, depicts the horrors of the massacres committed by the *urks against the Armenian populations. Siamanto]

Note: This is a rough translation of a great poem by Siamanto. Born Atom Yarjanian in 1878, was one of hundreds of intellectuals and political and spiritual leaders who were rounded up on April 24, 1915 and killed. In his case, he was held in detention until August, when he was murdered.
    Hovagim

Asphyxiated

In the underground man made hole, forty people
    scared like a herd of sheeps, being hunted by the sandstorm
    scared of death, in the four walls we all squeezed

Empty silence heavy with fear, no noise, no breathe, lips shut
    our looks all scary and mean, looking at each, wishing death for others
    from sunrise until next sunrise like this, quiet and hungry, like the stones of the cemetery
    on our bodies we applied the fear
    lot of us just chewing their fingers from the anxiety and the stress of the fear

But under the sun, thousands of ungodly barbaric murderers
    not tired from demolishing our fertile fields and houses
    they were looking for our hiding place, they wanted our death

And in the underground hole, with fear, fear, fear
    We heard the gunshots and the noise of the swords,
    like the noise of the lightening under the sun
    and bodies, bodies, bodies on the roof of our hole
    like rootless trees were falling down
    and the noise and moans of dying people was coming through the walls, driving us crazy
    And from the roof, that was covering us like a casket
    the hot blood started dripping on our faces through the roof made of soil

But a newborn started crying loud and sharp
    our traitor was going to be that innocent soul
    a decision, a murder would be our only hope
    When the crying mother whispered
    -God have mercy on us, my breasts are dry, I don't have a drop of milk left, I even let my blood be sucked,
    I don't have anything left, decide whatever you want
    -We should choke him, said someone with his angry arm in the air
    - Must be asphyxiated whispered forty people at the same time
    - Asphyxiate me first and than my child
    -They heard us, they are already digging our roof
    - We were all betrayed, they were digging the roof
    The soil is dropping on us, we can see the light
    - I beg you, choke me first and than my child,
    here is my neck and the neck of my child
    - And the Armenian mother extended her neck and the neck of her child in the dark
    In the dark, two arms like snakes, they found the child's neck and squeezed hard

Silence, this time in the hole was a storm
    To me, for a moment, felt like we all were dead
    for a moment, the bloodthirsty crowd thinking that they were mistaken,
    hopeless, started leaving
    Did we survive ? Slaves get saved ? Is this how we should be saved ?

And every day that poor woman half naked, standing on the roads
    strangers, travelers, enemy and foreigners
    hanging on their cloths begs them madly
    - This hands that you see, this hands that you see
    I choked my newborn with these hands in the hole
    Believe me, I choked my own child, what kind of people are you
    at least choke me too, my hands are not strong enough
    it was me that choked my newborn with all my strength
    don't you have heart and mercy, choke me, my hands don't have any strength to do it myself

Siamanto

Note: I have chosen to auto censor the words "*urk," "*urkish" or *urkic" because it is commonly perceived as unpleasant and offending, evokes unpleasant emotions and imagery and is pregnant with immoral and evil connotations
    What if I find someone else when looking for you? My soul shivers as the idea invades my mind.

Re: Poems by Siamanto

[French translation of "Asphyxiated." Looking for the original Armenian version. Siamanto.]

L'étranglement

Entre les quatre murs d'une cave,
    Nous nous sommes entassés quarante malheureux,
    Tel un troupeau de bêtes
    Poursuivies par les fureurs dune tempête de sable,
    Tremblantes, bousculées par la vision de la mort ...

Un silence de pierre s'appesantissait sur nous avec toutes ses horreurs.
    Pas le moindre chuchotement; tous retenaient leur respiration, et leur lèvres étaient cousues.
    Nos regards terrifiés où brillaient des lueurs démoniaques
    Allaient de l'un à l'autre; ils aspiraient la mort de l'autre ...
    Ainsi, d'un jour à l'autre,
    Figés dans le silence des pierres tombales, pris par les affres de la faim,
    Nous forgions sur nos corps les transes de la frayeur ...
    Et pour freiner notre rage et les désirs secrets de nos coeurs,
    Plusieurs d'entre nous se mettaient à ronger rageusement leur doigts ...

Le silence de pierre se reflétait dans nos yeux tel l'infini ...
    Par contre, au dehors, sous le soleil souriant, des milliers de barbares au visage bestial,
    Que le pillage des champs et la destruction des villages n'avaient pas encore assouvis,
    Cherchaient notre cachette et désiraient notre trépas...

Perdus dans les transes de la mort au fond des sinistres ténèbres de notre retraite,
    C'est avec terreur, avec terreur et terreur, que nous entendions
    Les cliquetis foudroyants des armes à feu, des lances, des baïonnettes et des épées,
    Qui faisaient rage sous le soleil ...
    Et les cadavres, les cadavres, tombaient sur le toit de notre cave,
    En trébuchant comme des arbres déracinés;
    Les gémissements des agonisants, tantôt déchirants, tantôt assourdis,
    Traversaient les murs, pénétraient jusque dans notre cachette, en y semant la terreur.
    A travers le toit de terre, qui nous servait de cercueil,
    Le sang chaud qui coulait là-haut à flotsi" et qui suintait,
    Se mit à tomber goutte à goutte sur nos visages …

Juste à cet instant, un nouveau-né se remit à pleurer, en poussant des cris stridents.
    Cet être innocent allait nous trahir.
    II ne nous restait plus qu'à commettre un crime, - c'était notre unique espoir -,
    Lorsque sa mère, tout en sanglotant, enfin murmura ...
    " Que la Miséricorde divine nous soit assurée; mes seins se sont taris;
    II n'y reste plus rien, pas même une goutte; sinon du sang ...
    Mon lait s'est tari jusqu'à la dernière goutte, il ne reste plus rien, faites ce que vous voulez ...
    - Il faudra l'étrangler, cria quelqu'un, en levant son bras chargé de colère.
    - Il faudra l'étrangler... Voilà ce que nous chuchotâmes tous les quarante à la fois ...
    - Etranglez-moi d'abord, et mon enfant ensuite!
    - Ça y est, on nous a découverts, déjà on donne des coups de pioche ...
    - Nous avons été trahis tous à la fois, on déblaie déjà le toit ...
    - Voilà de la terre qui tombe, et voilà la lumière qui perce.
    - Je vous en supplie. Etranglez-moi, voici mon cou et celui de mon enfant... "
    Et la mère arménienne, tendit vers nous, à travers les ténèbres, en même temps que son cou celui de son enfant …
    Tout de suite, fendant l'obscurité, surgirent deux bras, qui, se tordant comme des serpents,
    S'accrochèrent au cou de l'enfant, et le serrèrent furieusement ...

Le silence de la cave se transforma alors en une tempête.
    Il me sembla un instant que nous étions tous fauchés par une mort bien méritée ...
    Mais, un moment après, nous nous rendîmes compte que poussant dans sa déception des injures grossières,
    La meute assoiffée de sang, s'éloignait déconcertée ...
    Etait-ce notre salut? Mais les serfs peuvent-ils jamais s'émanciper? Etait-ce ainsi qu'on aurait dû se sauver? ...

Depuis lors, cette pauvre femme se traîne dans les rues, à moitié nue,
    S'agrippe comme une folle aux trousses des inconnus, des passants, des ennemis et des étrangers, et elle gémit:
    - " Voyez-vous ces mains, les voyez-vous, ces mains?
    C'est moi-même, qui de mes mains, ai étranglé mon nouveau-né dans la cave ...
    Croyez-moi! Oui, c'était moi-même. Oh! comme vous êtes injustes.
    A votre tour, ayez au moins la pitié de m'étrangler; mes mains sont impuissantes.
    Oui, c'est moi qui ai étranglé mon nouveau-né dans la cave, en y mettant toutes mes forces...
    Vous êtes des gens sans coeur, étranglez-moi donc, mes mains n'ont plus assez de force... "
    Traduction : Dr B. Missakian

What if I find someone else when looking for you? My soul shivers as the idea invades my mind.

Comment

Working...
    X