Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

The English Language -- Me Talk Real Good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The English Language -- Me Talk Real Good

Midge, Moose. Moose, Midge. Alliteration is just one of the quirky little twists that one can use to augment the English language. English, for my jingoistic dollar, is still the crème de la crème of all languages. To listen to all the alarmist intellectual Henny-Penny doom-mongers going on and on these days about the imminent death of the English language, you'd think that the English language was, like, ya know, totally dying or something. Whatever.

Now, I don't want to get off on a rant here, but, English is not just the language of Britain, Australia, Canada, and certain parts of Kentucky. It's also the language of business, diplomacy, and technology. I have always had a deep and abiding love for the English language. I've always loved the flirtatious tango of consonants and vowels, the sturdy dependability of nouns and the capricious whimsy of verbs, the strutting pageantry of the adjective and the flitting evanescence of the adverb, all kept safe and orderly by those reliable little policemen, punctuation marks. Wow! Think I got my ass kicked much in high school?

You can gauge the esteem in which we hold the English language simply by telling someone you majored in it. The first thing they do is mentally subtract twenty grand off what they think you make for a living. The second thing they do is ask you to bring them a menu and tell them the soup of the day. And why not? In school, English was the easiest subject to bullxxxx your way through. There are no Cliff's Notes for Physics. You can't bluff your way though a Calculus discussion just by watching Calculus: The Movie. But when it comes to an essay question, you can fake it like a hooker being paid by-the-moan.

English is a protean, evolving language that must constantly change in order to remain relevant, but, let's not go out of our way to appropriate words from other cultures simply to justify making something more expensive. You can add all the Italian suffixes you want, you're not fooling anybody over there at Starbucks--it's still just coffee. Now ring me the xxxx up, you frappa-loser.

And Starbucco's is not the only cultural borrower. Doctors tend to lift most of their phrases from Greek, which is only fitting since every time I go to see one, he somehow feels the need to spend the afternoon spelunking around in my ass.

I wouldn’t be so worried about the fate of the English language if more of us could speak it properly. Forget Stone Cold Steve Austin or The Rock, if you want to see real wrestling, watch our president pronounce the word “unilateral.” Love the guy or hate him, you have to admit that when Bush is speaking unscripted, the English language disintegrates like cotton candy in a monsoon. Even he looks like he’s surprised at what’s coming out of his mouth, kind of like John Malkovich when he had that puppeteer inside his head.

The English language is very much alive. From where I’m standing, our mother tongue is kicking ass and taking names. It’s large and in charge. It’s bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, full of piss and vinegar and ready to open up a big ol’ can of whup-ass. It’s calling the shots, it’s bouncing and behaving, it’s all up in it, and it’s all that and a bag of chips. What the xxxx am I talking about?

I have upon occasion been labeled the E. B. White of the word “f.ck,” but you have to admit that I went an entire football season without saying it. Take it from a connoisseur, it should be used sparingly, like saffron in a f.cking paella. The word “f.ck” is a beauty, isn’t it? From its fricative genesis, blossoming into its ripe, rich middle until it’s cruelly truncated in its prime by a merciless, glottal stop . . . In all of its earthy, salty illicit Anglo-Saxon glory, “f.ck” is almost as satisfying to say as it is to do.

Some would say I contribute to the coarsening of the English language through my casual use of profanity. To those critics I would respond that my discourse merely exemplifies the vaunted precedent of valorizing the oral vernacular. I would further add that language is a living tissue, which must occasionally suffer the rupture of subversion in order to convalesce into a more structural stability. So to those guardians of the linguistic gates out there who charge that I shoehorn the f-word in wherever I can merely to further a rather tenuous career built entirely on a profane house of cards . . . well, why don’t you just go f.ckerize yourselves.

Of course, that’s just my opinion. I could be wrong.

--Miller, Dennis. The Rant Zone, (81 - 84).

Re: The English Language -- Me Talk Real Good

Engrish.

Comment

English is certainly the language of technology, law, diplomacy. But it's certainly not a very romantic or emotional language. It's certainly not a language of poetry. I mean the only writer to coax really emotive stuff out of English was Shakespear and a few others. In contrast read Armenian poetry. Simple 2 syllible words convery deeper and sadder emotions that long phrases do in English. By the same token, simple precise high tech or policy terms in English take 10 words in Armenian.

Comment

Orwell: Politics and the English Language

Who knows?

Edit.
        I have said this before, but I will repeat. People who learn English as a ‘second/3rd/ etc.' language, and mostly master the language, know the English language FAR better than 99% of people who grew up learning English as their first language.
        Last edited by Anahita; 05-18-2006, 08:48 PM.

Comment

The more languages I learn, the more I know how much English-only speakers miss out on. Every language has a beauty that can't be spoken. I had to pick a language... and I picked one that is spoken in every nation in the world.

I do like the modern English—a mix of all languages. This language, to me, represents the preservation of each culture within the whole understanding. English should not REPLACE the languages I work to preserve. The language should empower people to preserve languages, I hope.

I hope you understand.

Comment

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

None of this has ever occured to me before. God bless all of you who learned English as a second language.

Comment

Punctuation matters:

Dear John,
              I want a man who knows what love is all about. You are generous, kind thoughtful. People who are not like you, admit to being useless and inferior. You have ruined me for other men. I yearn for you.
              I have no feelings whatsoever when we'er apart. I can be forever happy; Will you let me be yours?
              Gloria

versus

Dear John,
              I want a man who knows what love is. All about you are generous, kind, thoughtful people who are not like you. Admit to being useless and inferior. You have ruined me, for other men I yearn. For you I have no feelings whatsoever. When we'er apart I can be
              forever happy. Will you let me be?
              Yours
              Gloria

Another goofy punctutation matter:

"Woman, without her man, is nothing."
              or
              "Woman! Without her, man is nothing."
              Last edited by Anahita; 05-24-2006, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X