Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

If you couldn't marry an Armenian.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: If you couldn't marry an Armenian.....

Have I ever called you brainwashed?

Comment

Originally posted by Italia brrro View Post
      Were you born in America or Armenia? Do you personally feel an obligation of building the country and such? If so, why?
      I am the descendant of Genocide survivors who came over in the 1920s to New England so I was born in America. I do feel a personal responsibility to build Armenia almost as a form of retribution for the lives lost in my family during that period. I also do not want to see more Armenian lives lost at the hands of Turks in the near future.

The intrinsic value of the Armenian culture, people, and language is of importance as well. Just as with our religion, there is something to be said for belonging to something that is larger than ourselves, that has existed for thousands of years.

It also has to do with the fact that I, as an Armenian, cannot stand to sit comfortably by while Armenians are in dire conditions. I am not sure why "Armenian"-Americans go around all day proclaiming their Armenianness, proclaiming they are more Armenian than me even, while they let their brothers starve in the homneland. How many of them have donated their money to Armenia and its charities? How many have invested in Armenian businesses? Not many to be certain.

I am no saint, and I am not exactly sure how I will be able to participate in builiding Armenia, but I am steadily working towards this goal. Anyone else who feels this way is my comrade, my tovarishch, my enger.

Comment

Originally posted by yerazhishda View Post
        I am the descendant of Genocide survivors who came over in the 1920s to New England so I was born in America. I do feel a personal responsibility to build Armenia almost as a form of retribution for the lives lost in my family during that period. I also do not want to see more Armenian lives lost at the hands of Turks in the near future.

The intrinsic value of the Armenian culture, people, and language is of importance as well. Just as with our religion, there is something to be said for belonging to something that is larger than ourselves, that has existed for thousands of years.

It also has to do with the fact that I, as an Armenian, cannot stand to sit comfortably by while Armenians are in dire conditions. I am not sure why "Armenian"-Americans go around all day proclaiming their Armenianness, proclaiming they are more Armenian than me even, while they let their brothers starve in the homneland. How many of them have donated their money to Armenia and its charities? How many have invested in Armenian businesses? Not many to be certain.

I am no saint, and I am not exactly sure how I will be able to participate in builiding Armenia, but I am steadily working towards this goal. Anyone else who feels this way is my comrade, my tovarishch, my enger.
        that makes sense and I commend you for desiring to help your people.

I just think it is wrong to judge other Armenians who have decided to assimilate and marry outside of their race, unless their common goal is to go back to Armenia. I also don't think that parents should teach their kids to only marry within their race. If they are going to subject them to living in the U.S., then they should allow them to marry whoever they want. Just my opinion. It would be the same thing for my father to tell me not to marry a black woman. That would be looked down upon so much in our culture as racism, and yet I know a lot of people are guilty of this.

Comment

Originally posted by TomServo
          Are your views not narrow?
          Well, he's narrow when it comes to economics. Why won't he realize that a free-market will just not work for Armenia???

Comment

Originally posted by Italia brrro
            My point this whole time, and I have said it more than once, is that it is perfectly ok for you to marry within your own kind, and I see NOTHING wrong with that. However, as soon as you start to judge others who do not see things your way and choose to marry outside your race, that's when you cross the line.
            And why shouldn't you be judged when you are fighting in a so called Armenian Forum to marry an odar? I am glad that there are Anonymouses that can set you straight and to gear you the right way and try to put some sense into your thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by Italia brrro

A lot of Armenians have no desire to move back to Armenia. What would be their purpose in staying solely within their kind?
              Most human beings prefer to marry their own kind. Ask yourself why?

Because they understand each other better, every human being has or should have pride within themselves, and that pride becomes the same with the nationality. If I married a Greek man for instance and every now and then when we had arguments he said you stupid Armenian, I would feel much worse than if I had married an Armenian man who would feel about our cause and about our nationality or country the same way that I do. And the more and more reasons go on and on if you think deeper and deeper than your passions that you do feel now for the Chinese women.

Comment

Originally posted by Anoush View Post
                Most human beings prefer to marry their own kind. Ask yourself why?

Because they understand each other better, every human being has or should have pride within themselves, and that pride becomes the same with the nationality. If I married a Greek man for instance and every now and then when we had arguments he said you stupid Armenian, I would feel much worse than if I had married an Armenian man who would feel about our cause and about our nationality or country the same way that I do. And the more and more reasons go on and on if you think deeper and deeper than your passions that you do feel now for the Chinese women.
                But it should be left to each man's or woman's own choice. Who are you or anybody else for that matter to tell a person who she can or cannot marry?

Comment

But it should be left to each man's or woman's own choice. Who are you or anybody else for that matter to tell a person who she can or cannot marry?
                  I am a nationalistic Armenian woman who is trying to put some sense into you to marry your own kind.

You don't know how many more stories I have heard from mega more Armenian men who married other than their own kind and had terrible marriages. You see, the problems arise and multiply much more when you try to have children. Ethics and mores differ and the problems they have had multiplied by marrying "odar" women.

Comment

Originally posted by Anoush View Post
                    I am a nationalistic Armenian woman who is trying to put some sense into you to marry your own kind.

You don't know how many more stories I have heard from mega more Armenian men who married other than their own kind and had terrible marriages. You see, the problems arise and multiply much more when you try to have children. Ethics and mores differ and the problems they have had multiplied by marrying "odar" women.
                    I have sense my friend, I don't think people like me are the problem.

So race should not have anything to do with compatibility. Instead, when two people meet, they should relate on such things as ethics, views, etc. To say race makes any difference is just ignorant.

Comment

I have sense my friend, I don't think people like me are the problem.

So race should not have anything to do with compatibility. Instead, when two people meet, they should relate on such things as ethics, views, etc. To say race makes any difference is just ignorant.
                      You think that should be enough, but unfortunately there has been many more odar women who wouldn't stick to their initial talks afterwards. When little things go wrong in marriage they don't stick around. And believe me marriage is not an easy or black and white institution; especially after you two have children and family to raise. The way you both want to raise that child or children, then arguments. I don't mean to scare you but loving a woman and sticking to a marriage are two different things; when through the years there will be numerous trying times when you would say you hate that woman and don't want to see her anymore. Then you start falling in love with her again. Most Armenian women would stick around after arguments, fights and trying times. But I have heard and seen most "odar" non-Armenian women to run away and wouldn't give a damn about children or anything else for that matter. I have seen and heard most Armenian women to be selfless when they marry and have children; but "odar" women are much more selfish and most don't care as much about family roots and children being brought up with two biological parents.
                      Last edited by Anoush; 12-22-2008, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X