Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

If you couldn't marry an Armenian.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: If you couldn't marry an Armenian.....

Originally posted by Anoush View Post
    You think that should be enough, but unfortunately there has been many more odar women who wouldn't stick to their initial talks afterwards. When little things go wrong in marriage they don't stick around. And believe me marriage is not an easy or black and white institution; especially after you two have children and family to raise. The way you both want to raise that child or children, then arguments. I don't mean to scare you but loving a woman and sticking to a marriage when through the years there will be numerous trying times when you would say you hate that woman and don't want to see her anymore. Then you start falling in love with her again. Most Armenian women would stick around after arguments, fights and trying times. But I have heard and seen most "odar" non-Armenian women to run away and wouldn't give a damn about children or anything else for that matter.
    It is pretty clear that neither of us are going to pursuade the other of what we think is right, because it is apparent we both pursue different things in life. The beauty of it all is that we both can have our opinions on the matter and be okay. My whole point is that if they are here living among us, why separate themselves. If they truly want to remain within their own kind, then so be it! But if not, then that is solely up to them. Let them make the decision and if they regret it, then so be it. I do know that if they are forced by family pressure to marry within their race, they will not be happy.

I do have a question...what do you mean by "odar"?

And another thing, you should try an Italian. We are sexy

jk

Comment

Originally posted by Italia brrro View Post
      It is pretty clear that neither of us are going to pursuade the other of what we think is right, because it is apparent we both pursue different things in life. The beauty of it all is that we both can have our opinions on the matter and be okay. My whole point is that if they are here living among us, why separate themselves. If they truly want to remain within their own kind, then so be it! But if not, then that is solely up to them. Let them make the decision and if they regret it, then so be it. I do know that if they are forced by family pressure to marry within their race, they will not be happy.

I do have a question...what do you mean by "odar"?

And another thing, you should try an Italian. We are sexy

jk
      odar means non-Armenian.

As a matter of fact I happen to like Italians and yes they are very sexy and so I heard, but I was trying to make a point that marriage and the marriage institution is not an easy place to be and sticking to it becomes harder when things start to go wrong like fights and arguments and differing thoughts and bringing up children and family. When you marry your own kind not all the time of course; but more times than not becomes somewhat easier, especially when most Armenian women would stick to it through thick and thin.

Comment

odar means non-Armenian.

As a matter of fact I happen to like Italians and yes they are very sexy and so I heard, but I was trying to make a point that marriage and the marriage institution is not an easy place to be and sticking to it becomes harder when things start to go wrong like fights and arguments and differing thoughts and bringing up children and family. When you marry your own kind not all the time of course; but more times than not becomes somewhat easier, especially when most Armenian women would stick to it through thick and thin.
        Well many Armenian people stick through marriage because they are taught that the value of marriage is important, and yes that is a part of their culture that I think is something that should be salvaged here in the U.S. It would be wise for an Armenian to have high standards for their partner, but not just limit that person to an Armenian. There are plenty "odars" that have high standards and value the sanctitiy of marriage just the same. I personally just think it is wrong to try to coerce somebody and force by pressure somebody into marrying somebody. Let that be their decision.

Is odar a negative connotation? It sounds like odor as in a bad smell.

And as I said in another thread, the Armenian/Persian girls are the ones who seem open to being in a relationship with a non armenian, and those are the ones that I have dated. I have not dated a full armenian. They seem to be more to themselves which gives off the impression that they think they are better than us. That's what gives me such a bad taste in my mouth.

Comment

Well many Armenian people stick through marriage because they are taught that the value of marriage is important, and yes that is a part of their culture that I think is something that should be salvaged here in the U.S. It would be wise for an Armenian to have high standards for their partner, but not just limit that person to an Armenian. There are plenty "odars" that have high standards and value the sanctitiy of marriage just the same. I personally just think it is wrong to try to coerce somebody and force by pressure somebody into marrying somebody. Let that be their decision.

Is odar a negative connotation? It sounds like odor as in a bad smell.

And as I said in another thread, the Armenian/Persian girls are the ones who seem open to being in a relationship with a non armenian, and those are the ones that I have dated. I have not dated a full armenian. They seem to be more to themselves which gives off the impression that they think they are better than us. That's what gives me such a bad taste in my mouth.
          No not necessarily. Odar doesn't mean in a bad connotation and I didn't say it other than the person is not of Armenian nationality.

No we don't think that we are better than thou but I think that if you marry your own kind it will be better and easier all around for later on when things become much more complicated with the outcome of children and so forth.

The other factor is the Armenian nationality's survival factor. If for instance Italians are 100-150 Million throughout the world. Then Armenians are only 7.5-8 Million only. We had very tragic past when annihilations and Genocide happened to Armenians in 1915. Most of the diasporan Armenians are the survivors of that Genocide (they are the grandchildren and the great grandchildren who survived) and some would prefer to intermarry to preserve their own kind as well. If for instance the Genocide didn't occur, we would have been 44 Million on earth.

Comment

No not necessarily. Odar doesn't mean in a bad connotation and I didn't say it other than the person is not of Armenian nationality.

No we don't think that we are better than thou but I think that if you marry your own kind it will be better and easier all around for later on when things become much more complicated with the outcome of children and so forth.

The other factor is the Armenian nationality's survival factor. If for instance Italians are 100-150 Million throughout the world. Then Armenians are only 7.5-8 Million only. We had very tragic past when annihilations and Genocide happened to Armenians in 1915. Most of the diasporan Armenians are the survivors of that Genocide (they are the grandchildren and the great grandchildren who survived) and some would prefer to intermarry to preserve their own kind as well. If for instance the Genocide didn't occur, we would have been 44 Million on earth.
            NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ANOUSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You beat me

I was gonna say that.

Btw Italian Brrro, full Armenians don't date outside their race because as a child they've been told it's wrong to marry an odar probably cuz of our population #

Armenian girls I'd say 1 in a million will divorce. They're taught to live with their husband through the good and the bad. I mean they know that if they try to act dominant over their husband they'll probably get hit. That's natural in Armenian culture. Try doing that with an American girl. She'll probably go crazy and try to sue her own husband.

And NO! when I say that Armenian men hit their wives I don't mean they beat their asses hardcore. They put them in their place.

Comment

Originally posted by Sero View Post
              NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ANOUSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You beat me

I was gonna say that.

Btw Italian Brrro, full Armenians don't date outside their race because as a child they've been told it's wrong to marry an odar probably cuz of our population #

Armenian girls I'd say 1 in a million will divorce. They're taught to live with their husband through the good and the bad. I mean they know that if they try to act dominant over their husband they'll probably get hit. That's natural in Armenian culture. Try doing that with an American girl. She'll probably go crazy and try to sue her own husband.

And NO! when I say that Armenian men hit their wives I don't mean they beat their asses hardcore. They put them in their place.
              LOL and that is ok with you? I admire Armenian woman because they are respectable to their husbands, however, it is never ok to hit a woman (except maybe in self defense). Do you actually condone this behaviour?

I must know some rare Armenian couples then because I know 5 different couples who were married and got divorced. I would venture to say that they stay with their husbands because they are scared for their life or because they fear being put down socially. It is not true happiness, and only continue because fear.

But then again I guess I shouldn't really complain about them wanting to reproduce from their own kind because they do make beautiful children. And the ones that are mixed with Persian are hot and willing to procreate with "odars"

Comment

And as I said in another thread, the Armenian/Persian girls are the ones who seem open to being in a relationship with a non armenian, and those are the ones that I have dated.
                No, Mr. Italiano. Do not speak on our behalf please. As a Persian-Armenian girl, I can confidently say that most of us are not really open to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucin View Post
                  No, Mr. Italiano. Do not speak on our behalf please. As a Persian-Armenian girl, I can confidently say that most of us are not really open to it.

Well I'm sorry to hear that, but my experiences have shown different. Are you from CA?

Comment

But then again I guess I shouldn't really complain about them wanting to reproduce from their own kind because they do make beautiful children. And the ones that are mixed with Persian are hot and willing to procreate with "odars"
                    First I have one question these "Armenian girls mixed with Persian" you keep mentioning, are you referring to Armenians girls from Iran or actual 1/2 Armenian 1/2 Persian individuals?

Because if you are speaking of women that are the children of an Armenian/Persian mix of course they are going to be more accepting of interracial relationships, as their parents have entered into such a relationship. Their parents are not going to raise them with the ideal that same nationality/race marriage is the best situation for all involved, how could they? It would be hypocritical. And frankly I have lived in California my entire life, come from a family that lived in Iran, have many Persian friends and could count on two fingers the amount of Armenian/Persian mixed individuals that I know, so I am not sure where all these women you know are coming from?

The ideal of marriage within ones nationality/race is not solely Armenian, as I have said over and over in the threads related to this topic. I am sure that your Italian grandparents and maybe even your parents would or do support this belief.

Love is a choice as Anon posted earlier. Some mixed marriages may work out, but in general if there are too many differences in culture, traditions, ideals and language no matter what two individuals come together there are going to be issues. Why chose to put yourself in a relationship that you can be sure at some point in time that these issues will arise?

I also would like to address the statements that are continually made regarding Armenians marrying Armenians in the Diaspora. Marriage is the coming together of not just two individuals but of entire families. Family connection is very important to the Armenian in the Diaspora. What keeps our identities? What continues our history and heritage outside of Armenia? What continues the bloodlines of our fathers and grandfathers? Marriage and procreation. Why shouldn’t Armenians in the Diaspora continue to strive to keep our communities alive outside of Armenia? I mean I understand the point that if it is possible to take our families and return that this is the perfect completion of who and what we are, but to state that unless you are planning to return to Armenia it is not that important to marry within our own people is somewhat confusing to me.

Our communities have thrived in various countries for centuries before the genocide, not a perfect scenario, but if they had not stayed together as a community in these other locations, how many of us would actually be here today? How many more generations of Armenians will there be outside of Armenia? I mean lets face it, not all families outside of Armenia have the way or means to return so many are just struggling to survive where they are now, should our families die out due to this fact? Should our language and traditions die outside of Armenia? Maybe I am naive, maybe I am old fashioned, maybe I am foolish, but I agree 100% with Anon and Anoush. Personally I could not and would not marry an odar.

Comment

Well I'm sorry to hear that, but my experiences have shown different. Are you from CA?
                      No, I'm not. Maybe fortunately?

And you've left the magnificent Italia for California!?

Comment

Working...
                      X