Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Chess Superpower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chess Superpower

Thanks for the news!

Kasparov was one of the few champions whose ElO rating had been exceeding all other grandmasters with solid margin. Nowadays the margins are very small. I guess the most Karpov can do is a few draws. And even now Kasparov can challenge the current champion Anand.
    Last edited by gegev; 09-22-2009, 01:30 AM.

Comment

Kasparov 2
      Karpov 0

Comment

Kasparov 3
        Karpov 1
        Last edited by gegev; 09-24-2009, 04:47 AM.

Comment

Armenia revels in its chess prowess

Armenia, with a population of three million, has won the last two men's world team chess championships, beating opponents including Russia, China, and the US. What is their secret? David Edmonds travelled to the country to find out.

I speak not a word of Armenian, and the first man I met in Armenia spoke not a word of English.

He was the driver picking me up from the airport.

"David," I said, pointing at myself. "Tigran," he said, shaking my hand, "Tigran Petrosian."

This seems a weird coincidence. In 1963, his namesake, Tigran Petrosian, had defeated Mikhail Botvinnik to take the world chess title.

For Westerners it was a case of one Soviet Man beating another. The Soviets used chess to demonstrate the superiority of communism over capitalism, and had created a highly efficient chess factory, churning out prodigies like sausages.

But that is not how they saw it in Armenia. For them, Petrosian was above all an Armenian.

National obsession

Tens of thousands of people gathered in Opera Square in the capital Yerevan, to watch the games being displayed on giant boards, as the moves were relayed from Moscow.

The result led to an outpouring of patriotic fervour. That same year, John F Kennedy was assassinated.

"In America everyone can remember where they were when Kennedy was shot," one man tells me. "Here in Armenia, everyone of a certain age can recall the exact moment Petrosian became world champion."

From that moment on, chess became a national obsession.

“ A spectator tells me that Armenia's number one player, Levon Aronian, is their equivalent of David Beckham. He even has the designer stubble. ”

My driver, Tigran, was not the only Tigran I met.

Tigran is an ancient Armenian name. Tigran the Great built a vast empire here in Roman times.

But since the chess conquests of Tigran Petrosian, Tigrans have multiplied.

Tigran Xmalian is a director, who has made a film that uses chess to tell the history of modern Armenia. It is a tragic story.

The defining episode occurred in World War I. Around a million people - some say more, others less - were massacred or died of exhaustion in enforced deportations by the Ottoman Turks.

Since the late 1980s, Armenia has experienced a catastrophic earthquake, war with Azerbaijan and economic collapse. Tigran Xmalian says chess offers the people hope - the chance of salvation. For in chess, he says, every pawn can become a queen.

Later I meet the president of the Armenian Chess Federation. The interview had taken months to arrange.

That may seem odd until you realise that in his spare time, he is also president of the country.

His cabinet consists of two Tigrans - the prime minister and the finance minister.

The state already offers free training to the most promising players, and a guaranteed salary (equivalent to the average wage) to any Armenian who reaches the elite title of grandmaster.

The president now plans to introduce chess into the school curriculum.

"We don't want people to know Armenia just for the earthquake and the genocide," President Serge Sarkisian said. "We would rather it was famous for its chess."

Chess house

In the centre of Yerevan, there is an imposing four-storey, Stalinist-era edifice where anybody can turn up for a quick blitz game, lasting just a few minutes, or a more measured contest of several hours.

Some players thump the pieces down like slabs of meat, others glide them across the board as if they were fragile china.

The men (they are almost all men) range from international class to what in the chess community are known as patzers, useless amateurs.

The building is called the Tigran Petrosian Chess House and inside you can hear lots of explanations as to why Armenians excel at the game.

Secretly, sometimes not so secretly, many think that the real reason is Armenians are just more creative, more logical, and just, well, smarter than the rest of us.

Celebrities

At a major international chess tournament taking place in the spa resort of Jermuk in the arid mountains, I bump into yet another Tigran Petrosian.

He is no relation of Armenia's chess legend, but when Petrosian won the world title, says the younger Tigran, his father had a dream that if he ever had a son he would call him Tigran.

The boy has himself grown up to be a high-ranking grandmaster, a member of Armenia's world-conquering side.

Cheery and plump, this Tigran Petrosian is an unlikely sex symbol, but in Armenia chess players are celebrities.

A spectator tells me that Armenia's number-one player, Levon Aronian, is their equivalent of David Beckham. He even has the designer stubble. Young girls and aspiring chess players chase him for photos and autographs.

In Jermuk, the crowds gather in the piazza where the games are being shown on display boards. A number of seated, elderly gentlemen passionately debate the moves, the high sun reflecting off their brown, bald temples.

The tournament is called the Tigran Petrosian Memorial Tournament. The world champion, who died two decades ago, would have turned 80 this year.

Tigran Petrosian junior hopes to make the Armenian side that will defend its gold medal in 2010.

"The name gives me a good feeling," he says.

"But the problem is that with this name everyone expects me to win every game. It is too much pressure."

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
          Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

Armenian chess players defeat Turkish teams at Junior Olympiad
            26.09.2009 19:33 GMT+04:00

/PanARMENIAN.Net/ Armenian junior chess team showed a good game at the World Junior Chess Olympiad going on in Akhisar, Turkey.

The Armenian team defeated Turkish chess players 3-1 and 3.5-0.5 in the first and second rounds respectively.

So, our chess players are the 4th with 6.5 points. Georgians are leading with 8 points.

Armenia is represented by grandmaster Samvel Ter-Sahakyan, Tigran S. Petrosyan, Robert Aghasaryan and Vahe Baghdasaryan.

Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

Originally posted by Federate View Post
              Armenian chess players defeat Turkish teams at Junior Olympiad
              26.09.2009 19:33 GMT+04:00

/PanARMENIAN.Net/ Armenian junior chess team showed a good game at the World Junior Chess Olympiad going on in Akhisar, Turkey.

The Armenian team defeated Turkish chess players 3-1 and 3.5-0.5 in the first and second rounds respectively.

So, our chess players are the 4th with 6.5 points. Georgians are leading with 8 points.

Armenia is represented by grandmaster Samvel Ter-Sahakyan, Tigran S. Petrosyan, Robert Aghasaryan and Vahe Baghdasaryan.

http://www.panarmenian.net/news/eng/?nid=36939
              Thanks Federate for the news!

Nowadays chess is the only positive news source.

Kasparov Karpov match is over:

Rapid games:

Kasparov 3
              Karpov 1

Blitz games:

Kasparov 6
              Karpov 2

Alltoghether:

Kasparov 9
              Karpov 3

Comment

Thanks for coming out Karpov.... better luck next time.
                "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

WORLD YOUTH UNDER-16 CHESS OLYMPIAD
                  Organizer: TURKISH CHESS FEDERATION
                  Town : Akhisar-Manisa, Turkey
                  Dates : 2009/09/25 To 2009/10/02

Rank after round 7

Rank Team Pts.
                  1 Russia 20
                  2 India 20
                  3 Armenia 18
                  4 Hungary 18
                  5 Azerbaijan 17½
                  6 Turkey-Turkuaz 16½
                  7 Turkey-Red 16½
                  8 Turkey-Girls Red 16
                  9 Georgia 15
                  10 England 15
                  11 Uzbekistan 14½
                  12 Turkey-Girls White 14½
                  13 Turkey-White 14

14 Greece 13½
                  15 South Africa B 13
                  16 Libya-A 13
                  17 South Africa A 12½
                  18 Sri Lanka 12½
                  19 New Zealand 11½
                  20 Turkmenistan 9½
                  21 Turkey-Akhisar 4
                  22 Libya-B 3

Note please that Turkey has five teams and they all together with Azeries are well located under Armenian one. I wish the children to replace our government.
                  Last edited by gegev; 09-30-2009, 11:00 AM.

Comment

If only kasparov wasn't such a douschebag...
                    For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
                    to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

Originally posted by Armanen View Post
                      If only kasparov wasn't such a douschebag...
                      Not his fault... he's half j00ish
                      "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Working...
                      X