Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

NBA News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NBA News

All the black people that play are gorillas and are dirty, aside from their skills (which I guess isn't acknowledged anymore). Time has changed, we are now judging their appearance.

Comment

I don't know what you mean. Ron Artest, Lamar Odom, and Andrew Bynum are all black, and they don't play dirty. Rajon Rondo (more or less) doesn't play dirty, and neither does Ray Allen. I'll even give you Paul Pierce. Kevin Garnet, Kendrick Perkins, Glen Davis, and Ben Wallace all play dirty as hell. They're like animals, and you have got to admit that. I can't say that I'm judging their appearance because I'll give credit where it's due. These are obviously very good players, but they're dirty and they look like they are cannibals. I'm obviously not going to let that take away from their skills, but it's one thing to be a good player and another to be a good player but play like you're an animal.

Comment

Originally posted by One-Way View Post

They're looking for a fight and they act like animals. I can't think of any other team in the NBA that plays like that.

You're actually supposed to act like an "animal" on the court to get what you want. You put in your all and get aggressive. No one plays in a "humble" manner. No team is "humble." That's like giving away your team points. And if the Lakers were so "humble" then Kobe (who wasn't even playing on the court) could have at least pretended to look at Chris Rock while he was talking to him, instead of embarrassing Chris and himself for thinking he's better than everyone else. Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZT6Plin5Nk

And I'm not "hating," I hate that damn word. Both teams did great. Congratulations One-Way, you get to stay on HyeClub.

Comment

Kobe wasn't acting like he was better than everybody else. He was staying focused, and that's how he wins. Come on, it's the Playoffs. Why in the world is he going to give anybody else any attention? His mind is on the prize and he's going to do everything he can to block out everything else. You don't know how competitive he gets and you don't know his mentality for dealing with his aggression.

I don't know if you're understanding my point. There's playing aggressive (which you have to do) and there's playing like a dirty, filthy son of a bitch. Kendrick Perkins literally looks like shit is flowing down his face, because he's a fucking dumbass. Do you watch the game close enough to hear what the players mouth? Did you hear them cuss at the Lakers and start to try fights (I'm looking at Paul Pierce today). This entire series, the Celtics has tried to ignite fights. In my opinion, that's not how you're supposed to play. That's bad sportsmanship because they're not trying to get under their skin, they're trying to get them to fight.

I'm glad I get to stay, just so I can see Boston lose again next year.

Comment

Kobe wasn't acting like he was better than everybody else. He was staying focused, and that's how he wins. Come on, it's the Playoffs. Why in the world is he going to give anybody else any attention? His mind is on the prize and he's going to do everything he can to block out everything else. You don't know how competitive he gets and you don't know his mentality for dealing with his aggression.

I don't know if you're understanding my point. There's playing aggressive (which you have to do) and there's playing like a dirty, filthy son of a bitch. Kendrick Perkins literally looks like shit is flowing down his face, because he's a fucking dumbass. Do you watch the game close enough to hear what the players mouth? Did you hear them cuss at the Lakers and start to try fights (I'm looking at Paul Pierce today). This entire series, the Celtics has tried to ignite fights. In my opinion, that's not how you're supposed to play. That's bad sportsmanship because they're not trying to get under their skin, they're trying to get them to fight.

I'm glad I get to stay, just so I can see Boston lose again next year.

Stop getting so technical on "the shit flowing down his face," everyone saw that on live television, and yea, that shit was nasty, but it was his moment of fame, the guy got a little too excited, let him yell like a gorilla, no one gives a shit. And yes, I do watch the game close enough to read the players' lips and focus on who's cussing (I really do) and I can say that I've seen Kobe cuss plenty of times during these last games. They all cuss, it's nothing new and shouldn't surprise you, and just because you can't see it on live television, doesn't mean they didn't blurt out more nonsense later on. You get aggressive, and while you're aggressive, you end up cussing, it's human nature, it flows through the body and comes out the mouth (kind of like the movie Space Jam).

And like I said, Kobe could have just pretended to look at Chris, I didn't say spark a conversation with him. Face it, without Kobe Bryant, the Lakers wouldn't be where they are. He deserves to take home all the winnings, even though I dislike him, but we have to, eventually, look at things in a realistic manner: The boy has got some mad skill for a blackie.
            Last edited by iFemale; 06-18-2010, 04:52 AM.

Comment

First of all, I'm talking about Kendrick Perkins, and you're talking about Glen Davis.

Second of all, this isn't 2003. You're proving that you don't know much about the NBA by saying "without Kobe Byrant, the Lakers wouldn't be where they are." I really hate it when people say that because that's the old school fallback.

Listen, Kobe Bryant is the leader of the team, and every team has that captain. Chicago Bulls wouldn't have had six titles without Michael Jordan, either. Cleveland Cavaliers wouldn't have even made the Playoffs without LeBron James. Phoenix Suns is nothing without Steve Nash. As far as the Boston Celtics go, they're pretty much an All-Star team and drafted all their stars from different teams. They signed Ray Allen from Seattle (their team's best player), Rasheed Wallace from Detroit (their team's best player), and Kevin Garnet from Minnesota (their team's best player). Celtics pretty much had Paul Pierce, who was a great star, but didn't take off until they had all these other star join them.

So, don't give me that crap and say the Lakers wouldn't be where they are without Kobe. Of course not, because a team is led by their captain, but they also need a good supporting team. Lakers didn't win in 2008 because Kobe didn't have a good team beside him. They didn't win all those years without Shaq because it was a one man show, and Kobe had nobody by his side.

Honestly, if anything, Kobe just proved that the Lakers won because they are a team. Kobe played horribly today - did you see his shot percentage? He was 6 from 24!! Lakers is a team now and they didn't make it this far or win just because of Kobe. They did this because they're a team and they've been played like a team. It's no longer just Kobe who is holding the team down, but Pau Gasol as well, with major contributions from Derek Fisher, Ron Artest, and the rest of the team.

Comment

First of all, I'm talking about Kendrick Perkins, and you're talking about Glen Davis.

Second of all, this isn't 2003. You're proving that you don't know much about the NBA by saying "without Kobe Byrant, the Lakers wouldn't be where they are." I really hate it when people say that because that's the old school fallback.

Listen, Kobe Bryant is the leader of the team, and every team has that captain. Chicago Bulls wouldn't have had six titles without Michael Jordan, either. Cleveland Cavaliers wouldn't have even made the Playoffs without LeBron James. Phoenix Suns is nothing without Steve Nash. As far as the Boston Celtics go, they're pretty much an All-Star team and drafted all their stars from different teams. They signed Ray Allen from Seattle (their team's best player), Rasheed Wallace from Detroit (their team's best player), and Kevin Garnet from Minnesota (their team's best player). Celtics pretty much had Paul Pierce, who was a great star, but didn't take off until they had all these other star join them.

So, don't give me that crap and say the Lakers wouldn't be where they are without Kobe. Of course not, because a team is led by their captain, but they also need a good supporting team. Lakers didn't win in 2008 because Kobe didn't have a good team beside him. They didn't win all those years without Shaq because it was a one man show, and Kobe had nobody by his side.

Honestly, if anything, Kobe just proved that the Lakers won because they are a team. Kobe played horribly today - did you see his shot percentage? He was 6 from 24!! Lakers is a team now and they didn't make it this far or win just because of Kobe. They did this because they're a team and they've been played like a team. It's no longer just Kobe who is holding the team down, but Pau Gasol as well, with major contributions from Derek Fisher, Ron Artest, and the rest of the team.
                Firstly, I wouldn't say this is 2003 because during that time, Kobe wasn't recognized as he is now. He became known after Shaq left the stage later on. His true colors started shining back in '06, especially after making numerous buzzer-beaters. And yes, I did see Kobe play today and surprisingly, his skills slacked off on him. You're right, I do not know "much about the NBA" and neither am I planning on majoring in Basketball, however, I can glance and state what I've analyzed, all coming from my view. Now, by saying "without Kobe, the Lakers wouldn't be where they are," I didn't imply that the rest of the players never input their abilities towards the team...they did, everyone does, and like you said, without the team, the leader has no one to show leadership to. Kobe is an MVP and the leader of his team, he's also scored more than anyone else I can remember from the Lakers. No one's bashing the rest of the team mates, it was more like "without their leader, they would have been unfavorable."

Eh, I'm done with this Basketball talk; I feel like a boy. Fml.

Comment

Scottie Pippen is a little less broke these days

If you've read any of the numerous books about the Chicago Bulls of the 1990s then you know that Scottie Pippen is kind of funny about money. Raised in a poor household, Pippen jumped at the chance to sign a long-term contract prior to the 1991-92 season, choosing the security of a long deal over being paid what he was worth. Throughout his career, Pippen would endorse anything and everything, assuring that the money kept flowing in. Following the end of his playing career, Pippen was involved in a number of bad business deals that left him nearly broke.

One of the notable money mistakes that Pippen made was the purchase of a $4 million Gulfstream jet in 2002. Due to a missed inspection, the jet's engine needed $1 million worth of repairs shortly after the purchase. Rather than paying that, the jet was grounded, making it the world's most expensive paper weight. Pippen sued his attorney for the missed inspection and Monday was awarded a settlement of $2 million. He was pretty happy about it. From the Chicago Sun-Times' Lisa Donovan:

One-time Chicago Bulls star Scottie Pippen dissolved in tears Monday and gasped as a Cook County jury awarded him a $2 million verdict in a jet deal that went south.

Pippen had sued two attorneys at the Chicago law firm Pedersen & Houpt for malpractice, alleging they failed to closely monitor his purchase of the jet, which was grounded only months after the 2002 purchase. [...]

"I don't want to really say anything, I'm just exhausted and tired," a red-eyed but smiling Pippen said before leaving the courthouse with wife Larsa Pippen.

You know how they say you can't have your multimillion dollar jet and eat it to? Well, tell them that they're wrong. And also that that is a weird saying.

[Former NBA stars who made it big, owe big: Rick Mahorn]

But really, this is good news. Yeah, it's kind of hard to feel bad for a guy filing lawsuits because he didn't get to use his super expensive airplane, but with all the 1990s basketball players that have been going broke these days, it's nice that something good actually happened for one of them.

[Former NBA stars who made it big, owe big: Eddy Curry]
                  That being said, I think we've all learned a valuable lesson here. Whenever you spend $4 million on a jet, make sure it works first.

Positive vibes, positive taught

Comment

ATLAS OIL OWNER COULD BUY PISTONS
                    BY TOM WALSH and VINCE ELLIS

Detroit Free Press

June 29 2010
                    MI

Amid a report from Crain's Detroit Business that the Ilitch family
                    and Atlas Oil owner Sam Simon were mulling a possible offer to buy
                    the Pistons, Simon told the Free Press via e-mail Monday that he knew
                    Chris Ilitch, president of Ilitch Holdings, but that "we are far away
                    before anything happens here."

Simon said he might have more to say "if we get close," but did not
                    elaborate on details of any discussions to date.

Simon, son of an Armenian shoe salesman who fled Baghdad in 1973
                    and settled his family in Detroit when Sam was 9, built Taylor-based
                    Atlas from one truck in 1985 to a multibillion-dollar distributor of
                    oil and gas products.

Karen Davidson assumed control of the Pistons after the March 13, 2009,
                    death of her husband, Bill. This month, the franchise announced that
                    a Citigroup subsidiary, called Citi Private Bank Sports Authority,
                    was hired to broker the sale of the Pistons and Palace Sports &
                    Entertainment, the umbrella arm that also owns the Palace and DTE
                    Energy Music Theatre and operates Meadow Brook Music Festival.

Davidson said Thursday during the NBA draft that she expects to sell
                    the team before the season opens in October.

Forbes recently placed the Pistons' value at $479 million,
                    fourth-highest in the NBA.

NBA owners must approve any sale in the 30-team league, and the league
                    has indicated it is committed to keeping the Pistons in Detroit.
                    Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

The sad tale of Ray Williams: 10-year NBA vet now homeless

Amid the ceaseless acquisitive frenzy that is NBA free agency, the Boston Globe dropped a harrowing profile of Ray Williams, a former captain of the New York Knicks and a reserve guard on the Boston Celtics' 1985 NBA Finals team who played for six teams during a 10-year NBA career from the late '70s through the mid-'80s. Williams' name might not ring out with today's fans, but he averaged 20 points per game in two different seasons (1979-80 and 1981-82), hung 52 on the Detroit Pistons as a member of the New Jersey Nets on April 17, 1982, and once drew (admittedly aspirational) comparisons to the great Walt Frazier.

Now, writes the Globe's Bob Hohler, he's homeless.

Every night at bedtime, former Celtic Ray Williams locks the doors of his home: a broken-down 1992 Buick, rusting on a back street where he ran out of everything.

The 10-year NBA veteran formerly known as "Sugar Ray'' leans back in the driver's seat, drapes his legs over the center console, and rests his head on a pillow of tattered towels. He tunes his boom box to gospel music, closes his eyes, and wonders.
                      Williams, a generation removed from staying in first-class hotels with Larry Bird and Co. in their drive to the 1985 NBA Finals, mostly wonders how much more he can bear.

The most sobering thing about Hohler's piece? Williams' decline into unemployment, poverty and homelessness appears to have just kind of ... happened.

Williams, a former University of Minnesota standout who averaged 15.5 points and nearly six assists per game during his time in the league, adamantly tells Hohler that he's "never fallen prey to drugs, alcohol, or gambling," and he's never been arrested, so it's not like he's some shiftless sociopath whom we can easily vilify. According to the feature, there wasn't one key traumatic event that keyed Williams' downfall, with one possible exception — already down on his luck, Williams received a grant from the NBA Legends Foundation, which provides need-based assistance to people who have been involved in the pro game. But according to court records, Hohler writes, "he lost the money ... when the widow of a condominium owner who agreed to a lease-to-own contract with Williams opted out of the contract after the owner died." Which sounds like a horrendously bad break that exacerbated an already ugly situation.

It doesn't sound like a case of over-the-top avarice, either; while Hohler notes that Williams was "no longer able to sustain his NBA lifestyle" when he first filed for bankruptcy in 1994, he doesn't mention any particularly conspicuous consumption or extravagant expenditures. As the story goes, Williams just hasn't been able to hang on to any of a slew of off-court jobs over the course of the 23 years since he retired in 1987. Now, he's got nothing except the '92 Buick he sleeps in and a '97 Chevy Tahoe that he can't get out of hock.

There's no prime mover behind the disintegration, no obvious flaw in the system against which to rage. Like any story of slipping through the cracks in American society, that makes it harder to digest, compartmentalize and set aside.

Maybe NBA players of today, who make exponentially more money than their predecessors before ever stepping on the court, do owe a fiscal debt to the players who came before; then again, maybe Williams bears the blame because he blew the roughly $2 million he made in contracts during his career. Maybe Williams' family, former friends and associates merit some scorn for allowing him to live alone in a car in Florida; then again, maybe they've all had to distance themselves from Williams after 20-plus years of never getting his stuff together and failing to repay repeated loans, favors and kindnesses.

Maybe agencies like the Legends Foundation and the NBA Retired Players Association need to do more to help people like Williams; then again, maybe they've already done enough, having given him grants totaling more than $12,000. Maybe his coaches, teachers and mentors failed him, setting him to serve as one more awful example of how, when it comes to young basketball players, the only training and skill development that anybody really cares about takes place on the hardwood. Then again, maybe "Society's to blame" is a red herring that divests the downtrodden of personal responsibility.

Whichever way your sympathies run, the story of how Ray Williams' life fell apart should serve as a cautionary tale for athletes of the imperative to prepare for life after the game — and, frankly, a jarring reminder to all of us that we should appreciate what we're lucky enough to have while we're lucky enough to have it.

Positive vibes, positive taught

Comment

Working...
                      X