Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Armenian Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Armenians Basketball

Originally posted by Catharsis View Post
    The team in the 1980s (if not earlier) included Armenian, Russian and Ukrainian players. Today along with players from Armenia and Ukraine it also has members from Serbia, Croatia, USA, Georgia and Jamaica.

Today the team is made up of team captain Bojana Vulic (Serbia), Iva Serdar (Croatia), Natia Abuladze (Georgia), Anna Pokoyeva (Ukraine), Satenik Martirosyan (Armenia), Julianne Viani (USA), Maurita Reid (Jamaica), Natia Putkaradze (Georgia), Anna Baghdoyan (Armenia), Ani Petrosyan (Armenia), Tatevik Aleksanyan (Armenia), Hasmik Mikaelyan (Armenia), Anna Zaritska (Ukraine).

Head coach is Gia Ghazanchyan.

Thanks for the info Catharsis. It's good to see that most of the players are ethnic Armenians, it means we have talent at home which we should continue to cultivate.
    For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
    to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

Originally posted by Armanen View Post
      Thanks for the info Catharsis. It's good to see that most of the players are ethnic Armenians, it means we have talent at home which we should continue to cultivate.
      Indeed Armanen, we have very good Armenian players, while players like Vulic, Serdar, Pokoyeva and others bring a lot of good experience that will resonate to all the team players.

Comment

Originally posted by Catharsis View Post
        Indeed Armanen, we have very good Armenian players, while players like Vulic, Serdar, Pokoyeva and others bring a lot of good experience that will resonate to all the team players.
        I wish the same could be said about Armenia's
        national football team.

Comment

Originally posted by Icy View Post
          I wish the same could be said about Armenia's
          national football team.
          Yes, today it seems far fetched that in the 1970s our national football (soccer) team was one of the best in Europe. I hope we can restore that glory.
          Attached Files

Comment

Re: Armenian Basketball

The best players on the girls bb team are the non Armenians (the serb is HOT!!) while our football nt is almost all Armenian with the exception of one guy who is not its best player. I think our football team has a good future to look forward to, we have a lot of youngsters coming into their own plus some good armenian talent coming from the international arena. Should the Armenian coach to whome a contracted has been presented by the ffa accept the contract then we will finely have a good coach to (rip Porterfield). The combination of good players and a good coach is a wining one so i hope to see good results in the next euros.
            Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Basketball Boom: Hatis game sells out in advance of rematch with Greeks

All tickets for an upcoming Euro League basketball game featuring a revived Yerevan club have been sold out, and there is still a demand for more, an Armenian basketball boss said at a press conference Wednesday.

“We even asked the staff at the Mika sport hall, the venue of the game, to provide an additional 250 chairs (in addition to already unavailable 1,160). But this still may prove not enough for all who wish to attend as the interest in the game is very high,” said Hrach Rostomyan, the Basketball Federation president.

Hatis Yerevan (women’s) Basketball Club is hosting Sony Athinaikos from Greece in a Group F game in Yerevan Thursday late afternoon. According to Rustamyan, tickets priced 2,000 (or a little more than $5) had been sold out still before December 1, three days before the game.

Hatis’s first home game in Yerevan last month also proved a gate crasher and the Yerevan club (including players from Serbia, Croatia, Georgia, Ukraine and even the United States and Jamaica) did not fail to deliver, beating visitors from Russia.

The victory was followed by a signal success in an away game against Besiktas in Turkey.

The Hatis players devoted their 87-64 victory over the Turkish club in Istanbul to the memory of the victims of the 1915 Genocide of Armenians, according to Rustamyan.

At the press conference, Rustamyan summed up the results of the first three Euro League games, in which Hatis scored two victories (including over Russia’s Chevakata at home) and lost to Greece’s strong Sony Athinaikos in an away game.

“No one would believe in us at first. Only a couple of journalists were present at our early press conferences and we lost the first game to the Greeks with a margin of more than 50 points. But then the girls began to interact, they started to believe in success and we won two games,” said Rustamyan.

For their victory over Besiktas, the coaches and players of Hatis received letters of thanks from the Ministry of Sport and Youth Affairs that were handed to the players by Minister Armen Grigoryan.

“The significance of Hatis’s victory in Istanbul is difficult to overestimate… They are worthy upholders of the glorious traditions of Armenian women’s basketball. The whole of Armenia will support Hatis on December 3,” said Grigoryan.

Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

Armenia seeks U.S. Armenians for national women’s basketball team

Yerevan - Three American college basketball players of Armenian descent will be trying out for Armenia's national women's basketball team starting May 20.

The invitees include Arpine Amirkhanyan from Armstrong Atlantic State University; Kris Kachaturoff from Eastern Michigan University; and Christine Kepenekian from California State University, Bakersfield.

The three candidates were selected by Carl Bardakian on behalf of the Basketball Federation of Armenia. Mr. Bardakian is a former men's assistant basketball coach at Cleveland State University.

Ms. Amirkhanyan's and Ms. Kepenekian's families had previously moved from Armenia to Los Angeles; Ms. Kachaturoff's family is from Dearborn, Michigan.

"My relatives in Yerevan are so excited!" said Ms. Amirkhanyan. "This is a great opportunity and I feel honored."

"I have always been very proud to be Armenian and I can't wait to go, as this is my first trip to Armenia," said Ms. Khachaturoff, who is now reportedly also brushing up on her Armenian language skills.

Reacting to the invitation, Ms. Kepenekian told her college newspaper that she is "really excited to get the chance to play competitive basketball again," said Kepenekian. "I've been to Armenia twice before to visit my mom's side of the family. This is a great experience that will hopefully help me gain exposure to try and play on other professional teams after the tournament."

"Christine was a great player for us and helped make our team better," said CSUB Head Coach Tim La Kose. "Any team she plays on will be better with her on it because she works hard and competes."

"We are preparing for Arpine, Christine and Kristine's arrival in Yerevan in May," said Hrachya Rostomyan, president of the Basketball Federation of Armenia, noting that Armenia will for the first time ever host an FIBA women's basketball tournament.

From June 28 to July 3 Armenia will host the European Women's Basketball Championship Division C, which in addition to the home team will include Andorra, Gibraltar, Malta, Moldova, Scotland and Wales.

"Armenia's participation in this tournament will [contribute to] our long-term strategic goal of developing basketball throughout Armenia," said Souren Zohrabyan, chairman of the federation's organizing committee.

Additional candidates for Armenia team are being scouted in Russia, Iran, Syria and Lebanon.

Women's basketball gained in prominence in Armenia last year as Yerevan-based HATIS club for the first time qualified for Eurocup playoffs after upsetting a more prominent team from Turkey.

This summer's championship games will be held at the Mika Stadium in Yerevan, which holds 1,160 seats and has also been the site for HATIS games.

Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

It's too bad I started my basketball comeback so late. Unfortunately, the thought of trying to play for Armenia didn't even occur to me when I was in my prime. I'm "old as dirt" by athletic standards now, and though I'm 100% positive I can play as well, if not better than most of the Armenian pro-men's basketball team once my conditioning is back, there will be a lot of concern about how much I have left in the tank long term. Had I made my comeback 5+ years ago, it would have been a different story.

Comment

Working...
                  X