Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

California love.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California love.

Dream State

By nearly any measure -- from star athletes produced to recreational opportunities offered -- California is No. 1 in sports

By Michael Silver

Its Rose Bowl win gave USC yet another national title. Robert Beck
    As philosophical bedfellows, Bill Walton and Ronald Reagan go together like alfalfa sprouts and apple pie. In other words, as the voluble 6'11" basketball announcer might opine, the combination is horrible. Yet when asked about the Golden State's superiority to the rest of the nation, the tie-dyed hoops virtuoso draws upon the wisdom of the late conservative governor. "The only thing Ronald Reagan ever said that I believed to be true," Walton says, "was that if the Pilgrims had landed in California, the East Coast would be wilderness still."

Rather than ponder the unlikely notion that such a populous, diverse and sophisticated state would choose a movie actor as its top elected official (imagine that!), let's allow Walton to elaborate. "California," the native San Diegan continues, "is the greatest place in the world -- the climate, the creativity, the diversity of people and geography, the sense of optimism and of not getting bogged down by the restrictive thinking of the past."

It's also, the Mountain Man insists, the foremost sports state, and there's a mountain of evidence to support that contention. No other state offers so vast a variety of sports to play or churns out more top athletes. Indeed, if the heartland's killer-quake fantasy ever came true, and the Golden State split off into the Pacific, the Island Republic of California would win more medals at the Olympics than all but two or three other nations. (On the victory stand our athletes would shed many a tear to the tender strains of Tupac and Dr. Dre's California Love.)

Indiana has its basketball, Kentucky its Derby, Texas its Friday night lights. California's claim to fame is, well, fame. The Golden State has produced so many renowned athletes that five years ago, when SI published its list of California's 50 greatest sports figures, Hall of Famers such as baseball's George Brett and Robin Yount and basketball's Gail Goodrich and Ann Meyers didn't make the cut. Nor did Pro Football Hall of Famer Lynn Swann, who isn't even the most famous athlete from his own high school. (Barry Bonds and Tom Brady also starred at San Mateo's Serra High.)

A quintet of kids out of Hawthorne called the Beach Boys gave us the anthem Be True to Your School, but there's nothing sweet and harmonious about high school sports competition in California. Powerhouses such as Concord's De La Salle High, which has won 151 consecutive football games, more or less prohibit lesser schools from completing a Hoosiers-style miracle season. I learned that in June 1982, while attending Palisades High in Pacific Palisades. Our baseball team, riding a series of dramatic playoff victories, swept into the Los Angeles city final. Filing into Dodger Stadium, we Palisades fans noticed Cleveland High's skinny pitcher. "That's their star?" my buddy Andy asked. "We'll torch that guy."

Two hours and no Palisades hits later, we made like good L.A. fans and headed for the freeway before the end of Cleveland's 13-0 victory. The no-no didn't bother us quite so much three years later, when that skinny pitcher, Bret Saberhagen, became the youngest American League Cy Young Award winner and World Series MVP.

California is home to many of the nation's top teenage stars in other sports, too -- especially women's sports. "We're so progressive in our grassroots organizations that kids get a big head start," says U.S. soccer team captain Julie Foudy, a Mission Viejo native. "At age seven I was on a competitive all-girls' soccer team. Some of my teammates [from other states] say, 'I had to play with the boys until I was 15.'"

Culturally and meteorologically, California's climate is ripe for physical fitness. "It's the whole lifestyle -- go to bed early, get up early and be as active as possible," says Walton, who grew up as a sort of human longboard, riding waves along San Diego's coastline. "The life of a spectator is almost a foreign concept."

When it comes to watching, we've been spoiled. In the past decade only one state has won championships in pro football (the 49ers), baseball (Angels) and basketball (Lakers, Lakers, Lakers) and played for one in hockey (Mighty Ducks). As for college sports Cal, Stanford, UCLA and USC excel comprehensively: USC is the defending national co-champion in football and has won more men's NCAA team titles (72) than any other school; Stanford has earned the last 10 Directors' Cups for having the nation's best overall sports program; and UCLA holds the NCAA Division I record of 94 team championships, including the last two softball titles -- both over 2002 champ Cal.

Yet in California, merely winning isn't enough. Our athletes must be flamboyant, creative performers. We are perpetually indulged, from Showtime to the Sacramento Kings' fast break, from Fernandomania to Bonds's Splash Homers, from the renegade Raiders to the sublime Niners. No wonder our natives have provided so many fantastic climaxes, from Cal's five-lateral jaunt through the Stanford band to win the 1982 Big Game to San Jose native Brandi Chastain's shirt-shedding after the U.S. women won the '99 World Cup at the Rose Bowl.

Our representation in golf (Tiger Woods, Mickey Wright) and tennis (Billie Jean King, Jack Kramer, Helen Wills Moody, Pete Sampras, the Williams sisters) may not surprise you, but how about our success in figure skating (Peggy Fleming, Michelle Kwan, Kristi Yamaguchi), NASCAR (Jeff Gordon) and the decathlon (Rafer Johnson, Bob Mathias)? We have far more pools than any other state -- 961,184 at the end of 2002, according to one study -- which partially explains our long list of swimming champions, from Mark Spitz to Janet Evans to Natalie Coughlin, whose all-American smile will likely light up Athens in August.

What we boast most of all, though, is originality. Each year we reveal our untraditional takes on sport: the Bay to Breakers road race in San Francisco, with its nudists and Elvis impersonators, for instance, and the Calaveras County Fair & Jumping Frog Jubilee. You can also thank us for mountain biking and Frisbee dogs.

The only thing we lack is humility. We're so secure in our dominance that we turn inward for our rivalries: Giants versus Dodgers, UCLA versus USC, Kobe versus Shaq. When no one rains on your Tournament of Roses Parade -- more to the point, there have been only five wet Rose Bowls in Pasadena -- you can be forgiven for regarding your state's sporting scene as golden.

"I thank my parents every day for raising me in California," Walton says. "It's probably better to be in prison here than governor anywhere else." To which one of our former chief executives might have replied, There you go again.

This is my 1,000th post and what a better place to say that the YANKEES SUCK! California is loaded with athletes. If you look at the 2002 & 2003 New Jersey Nets team that went to the NBA Finals, half the team was California, (Byron Scott, Kidd, Jefferson, Scalabrine, Harris...). Same with football and now there's a lot of breeding of baseball players out of Cali, esp with the underdog Titans winning the World Series. You could go thru every team that has won an NBA championship, you'll find California.

But i'll tell ya, Oklahoma has given its run for some fame too. Barry Sanders, Stacy King, Wayman Tisdale, Jim Thorpe, John Starks, Paul Pressy, Brian Bosworth, Gus Ferotte, Dennis Rodman, Johnny Bench, Mickey Mantle, Dizzy Dean, Billy Sims, Shea Seals, Troy Aikman passed up the Mets and went to OU before transferring to UCLA, and Me...just to name a few

Comment

Here you go kids. I came across this on my job search.

Comment

Originally posted by spiral
        Here you go kids. I came across this on my job search.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/mar/35240968.html
        thanks!!!...i've already been turned down for laudry attendant at staples center

Comment

Working...
        X