Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Blind Turk learns Aikido

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blind Turk learns Aikido

Turkish Daily News: Explore the latest Turkish news, including Turkey news, politics, political updates, and current affairs. Israel: Hamas Intelligence Deputy Head Shadi Barud Killed - 21:10

Turkish Daily News
    Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Visually impaired man learns aikido

ANKARA - Serkan Samancılar, 23, is visually impaired and works at the
    İzmir Public Library. Four years ago, after thieves stole his mobile
    phone, he started to learn aikido so he could protect himself.

Aikido trainer Ömer Bükülmez said Samancılar has managed to learn all
    the techniques despite his visual impairment and was shocked by his
    talent.

Samancılar said, "Thieves can hurt even defenseless people nowadays,
    so I'm learning this sport to defend myself," adding that being
    visually impaired did not have a negative effect on his training. "The basis
    of this sport is emotion, love and feeling. Disabled people have all
    three. People who thought I couldn't learn aikido now say 'Wow!' when they
    watch me training."

Samancılar said aikido played a very important role in his life and
    not only made him strong but also enriched his soul and a gave him a new
    energy for life.

Successful:

Bükülmez said Samancılar was his first visually impaired student and
    was no different from any other. He said Samancılar was even more
    successful than some other trainees. "Although he can't see, he learned the
    aikido moves with his strong sense of hearing. He can immobilize any
    attacker merely by hearing the voices. But more important is that aikido
    improved his way of thinking because it's not only a sport but also a
    philosophy and a lifestyle," he said.

Bükülmez also said he was thinking of giving aikido lessons to the
    visually impaired at his other training centers and added, "I learned
    many things from Serkan, and I want to say that if somebody covered my
    eyes I wouldn't be able to fight as well as he does."

Samancılar has been working at the library for five years and is
    rewriting books in Braille for the blind. Samancılar is also a student at
    Anadolu University's social sciences department open education faculty.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it just me or is it supercool that a blind person can achieve so much. I want to learn Aikido now.

Wow, I'm impressed.

Comment

Originally posted by nakharar
      Wow, I'm impressed.
      Impresssed? I'm not. It says visually impaired, not blind. Which means he sees forms and shadows at the very least. No matter how they try to portray it otherwise.

Whyever would we want some turk able to defend himself?
      If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
      -George Orwell
      Thus the highest realization of warfare is to attack the enemy's plans; next is to attack their alliances;
      -Sun Tzu

Comment

I find it inspiring, I've recently been interested in Aikido myself; and I can't help admire such perseverence and dedication.

Comment

Originally posted by Thai-Samurai
          I find it inspiring, I've recently been interested in Aikido myself; and I can't help admire such perseverence and dedication.
          It should be fairly easy to find somebody else instead of a turk to be inspired by.
          If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
          -George Orwell
          Thus the highest realization of warfare is to attack the enemy's plans; next is to attack their alliances;
          -Sun Tzu

Comment

I've never come across an article that mentions a good thing Turkish people have done. When I saw this article I realized I had to post it. Aikido is a fabulous sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Thai-Samurai
              I've never come across an article that mentions a good thing Turkish people have done. When I saw this article I realized I had to post it. Aikido is a fabulous sport.
              it is, but not as fabulous as ultimate frisbee. and turks suck at it

Comment

Working...
              X