Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

New Iraqi Passports w/ Kurdish script

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Iraqi Passports w/ Kurdish script

Have your say: Turkey does not recognise the new Iraqi passport with Kurdish script

Wednesday, May 31, 2006
    KurdishMedia.com
    Have Your Say NowLondon (KurdishMedia.com) 31 May 2006: Turkish authorities returned 41 Kurdish passengers from Istanbul because they held the new Iraqi passports which had Kurdish and Arabic scripts on them. The passengers flew from Arbil International Airport of the capital of Southern Kurdistan to Istanbul.

This event raises a number of issues, including:

- Turks fear to recognise the existence of Kurds - not in the Turkish constitution; their claim that Kurds do not exist in Turkey may be refuted. Since 1923 Turkey has told the world in every possible way that Kurds do not exist. Does Turkey fear the revival of the Kurdish issue on its territory? If it does, what are the reasons?

- The Turkish authorities do not want to recognise the Kurdish language even if it is spoken beyond their borders. The world has moved on but it appears that Turkey has still stuck in its Ataturkean ideologies of the early last century. What stops Turkey from recognising Kurds, Kurdish language and Kurdistan in the Turkish constitution?

- The United Nations (UN) is a body that regulates international relations. Turkey is a signatory of all the UN documents that regulate international relations and a member of the UN. What should the UN do in order to regulate the Turkish – Kurdish relations?

- Turkey pursues the membership of the European Union (EU). Turkish behaviour is not acceptable within the EU’s democratic culture, which is enshrined in conventions of human rights and a number of other documents. Does the EU have responsibility for Kurds and for Turkish unlawful activity? If yes, then what should the EU do?

- The new Iraqi passport with both Kurdish and Arabic scripts is an implementation of the Iraqi constitution, which was approved in the Iraqi-wide referendum. Does Turkish behaviour constitute a breach of sovereignty of Iraq and disrespect for the decision of the Iraqi people?

- The Iraqi government has not taken any actions yet. What action should the Iraqi government take against abuse of the Iraqi citizens by another state – Turkey in this case?

- The government of Kurdistan has not taken any actions either. Should the government of Kurdistan take any actions?

- The Kurdistani bloc in the Iraqi assembly has not taken any actions. Should they take any formal actions?

- If authorities of Kurdistan return Turks because their passports do not contain the Kurdish language (taking into account that Kurds constitute a third of the population and live in their homeland – Kurdistan, which is now partially occupied by Turkey), what will the Turkish authorities do?

What do you think?

Have your say!

Please write your comments as brief as possible with good and simple English. Please give your full name, position and the place of residence.

We consider publishing your comments, if suitable, in KurdishMedia.com. You agree on that we may modify your comments for typographical errors and may only publish a section of it. You may find it useful to read the previous comments, if any, in order to not repeat what has been said already.

You may read the KurdishMedia.com Code of Conduct before responding. Please click on the link: Code of Conduct

Your replies:

Two comments have really hit me in this discussion and they both came from Kurds, not from me, a Scot.

The Kurdish regional government should stop accepting Turkish passports. If a passport is not acknowledged in Turkey because it contains Kurdish language, I think it is reasonable for Kurdish customs officers to deny entry into south Kurdistan to carriers of Turkish passports.

Another writer stated that Kurds should take control of their own fate, the US and the UK being irrelevant, and move towards an independent southern Kurdish state that took in Kirkuk. To the writer I say "bravo". For too many years Kurdish issues have been decided by non-Kurds.

You are Kurdish, you are not beggars, this is your land, you do not need to please America or Britain at all times. Forget Britain anyway, it is totally irrelevant. The Americans will ask you to turn your back on everything you ever believed in to appease their Turkish friends. Talabani seems to have swallowed the American script, Barzani is just happy to be along for the ride, "undisputed President of Kurdistan"!

Do your politicians not understand that you have rights too, as Kurds? I have seen the best and the worst of the Kurdish people and I can confidently say that I wish the British people were more like the Kurds.

The vast majority of your men are gentlemen, the vast majority of your women are ladies, I look at the society in England and I want to live in Kurdistan.

Oh Kurdistan, when will you realise how good you are and take what is your's whether the Americans agree or not?

I look forward to seeing the Kurdish national football team in the World Cup Finals. I look forward to seeing a purely Kurdish passport accepted by all, I want one for me and one for my son. I look forward to seeing Kurdistan behaving like a nation, not several warlords with their own areas of power.

If Turkey wants the business deals in Kurdistan it must accept the passport situation otherwise, all those business deals should be "off". I don't see PUK and PDK making problems for Turkey.

In short, screw Turkey.

Peter Stitt

The simplest and the most effective way of dealing with passport problem is, for the Kurds to declare their independence and claim their homeland called Kurdistan.
    Then proceed to print their passports in Kurdish and English only. There should be no mention of Arabic or Turkish.

The Turks have always been known as fascists and through the centuries have acted autocratically, so why take any notice of a country which wants to join the EU but persists in acting like anarchists.

They have no idea of the words Human Rights and to improve their attitude, they will have to give up the ideology of Kemal Ataturk and the Kurds must stop all Turks investing in Kurdistan especially in the OIL industry.

The fastest way out for the Kurds is to declare their independent status and claim their homeland of Kurdistan, which must include Kirkuk.
    Do not wait for America, UK, or European countries to support you, just start believing, in "Might is Right" philosophy.

Hormuzd Shekhdar – UK

This rhetorical action by the Turkish government is not a revert action toward democracy. This is a result of power struggle between military and government. Turkish government had set many red lines against Kurds. Most of the red lines are now reality; the Kurdish flag, media, Kurdish border.

Kurds, on the other hand, should realize that Turks, Persians and Arabs are nations surrounding them and they should build bridges with those nations by all means if they cant with the governments. In the end, nations will survive, while governments and their rules will go to history and be judged by historian.

The digital world has brought the lich-gate for old ideas to be buried in the backyard of nations.

Soran Talabani – USA

The racist mentality of Turkish regime and narrow minded attitude of Turkish people will be defeated sooner or later. There is no more a place in the 21 century for such sick mentality.

Our Kurdish people will win their rights and will gain recognition by Turkey at the end. Turkey has to acknowledge there is a Kurdish nation that is proud of its culture and heritage and will keep up the struggle until we are equal and have similar rights.
    Northern Kurdistan needs rebuilding and massive re-investment because it has been neglected since the establishment of Turkey. The Kurdish language is rich and has the potential to catch-up and develop in all parts of Kurdistan and that is Turkey's biggest fear.

The Kurdish writing on every single Iraqi passport will stay and the Turkish "sick" frame of mind will be gone no doubt.

Jamil Baban – Kurdistan

This infantile and overtly racist action by the Turkish government, which is designed to denigrate the Kurdish nation, must be dealt with sternly and without delay by the Iraqi government as it is their passport that have been rebuffed. Although this feeble Turkish move is aimed at the Kurds, it is, nevertheless, an insult to the new Iraqi government and its sovereignty.

Turkey has no right, whatsoever, to dictate to any sovereign nation on how to present their passports as long the documents conform to the current international laws. The onus is, therefore, is on the Iraqi authorities to demand an apology from Turkey and threaten them with reciprocal action if they continued rejecting the Iraqi passport simply for containing some Kurdish script.

I don't know whether the Iraqi government has taken any action yet. But if they hadn't and have no desire to do so, then one can be forgiven to assume that the two governments are in collusion and the Iraqi government will take this incident and use it as an excuse to remove the Kurdish scripts from their passport on the false basis that it is necessary to do so in order to continue their normal relationship with Turkey. Should this be the case, then the Kurdish Regional Government must use their mussel to push Baghdad government into action and not allow the removal of Kurdish from the Iraqi passport.

Nawzad Miran – UK

It is not strange that Turkey behaves in this inhumane behaviour towards Kurds, Kurdistan and Kurdish culture. Turkey needs a long term recovery from this malady and from her dark psychology in order to realize that Kurds are a big nation of high population, who have distinct geographical area, language and culture, rich history full of patriotic and heroic battles for independence and self- determination. Turkish intellectuals' duty is to go through racist Ataturks ideology which is no more valid in the era of democracy if they want their country to be safe, developed and reach high standards of humanity and they should oppose against racist attitudes of their regime. And if Turkey wants to enter EU, she has to know this fact that without respect of human rights and without promotion of values of democracy, she will never get this access to EU. Why Turkey cannot remove the blindfolded mask on its face to see the truth, the grand existence of Kurdistan and Kurds?

Drakhshan Ali – Finland

It is obvious that the Kurdish and Turkish issue branches not only with the rise of Attaturcism, it has always been there for centuries, it stems from the seventeenth century with the Ottoman Empire or even may be earlier than that such as their ancestors Holako, and Gangiz Khan. Consequently the fear of the Kurdish nation as an ethnic to exist originates from the deep soul of Turkism and so called the spiritual father of the Turks "Kamal Attaturk" is nothing but a symbol of the Turkish fascism. Let us not forget we are not the only nation suffering from this subjugation and repression, the Armenians are a living example of this tyranny, and we inherited it from them may be because of our shallow mindedness, or lack of knowledge of our earlier leaders in trusting the Turkish leaders.

On the other hand I believe this act should not unprovoked buy the newly elected Iraqi government since this issue touches the essence of Iraqi sovereignty, it is the decision of the Iraqi government what language or languages they should deal with the international world, and Turkey has no right to interfere in the internal affairs of Iraq, I do not think that any other country in the world will accept other countries to decide what should be their language of correspondence or what language the national symbol be scripted, similarly the language or languages the national passport of any country be scripted in. I am certain and have no doubt that Turkey itself will not tolerate other countries rejecting Turkish nationals be denied entry because the Turkish passport is scripted in Turkish. Thus I call upon all Kurdish political parties, cultural centers, organizations as well as the new Iraqi government to raise this issue with the concerning international organizations and associations to put pressure upon Turkey to correct their mistake and apologize in particular to the Kurdish people and to the Iraqi people and government.

Asso Faraj - Kanada

It is not a surprising stand by Turkey to suffocate the emergence of the Kurds and decapitate any thing related to the Kurdish popularity. But we all have to bear in mind that fascism, Apartheid, and despotism collapse at the top of their reign. What Turkey doing now is the freak-out of its death? History will record all these barbaric actions of Turkish state and the future generations of Turkey will be well ashamed of looking back at their past. Therefore at present it is up to the Turkish people either to follow the path of their war-lords, allow discrimination and spreading hatred against the Kurds which leads to their disgracefulness, or resist being seen as wild brain-washed creatures and speak out for the sake of their own children. Although there is no much enthusiasm among the Turks to take the second stand and the reality tells us that the prospect of such a conduct is hopeless, but let’s be optimistic just for once and hope that they wake up and shake the basis of their injustice direction.

Mariwan Rauf Beig - UK

Turkey derives their strength from the oppression of other ethnicities. The modern Turkish state is a fusion of all the oppressed cultures under Turkish oppression.

It's no surprise that the Turkish state acts in such a racist and intolerant manner. But they must realise that Kurds are becoming a powerful group in the Middle East, and if they don't wish to recognise an official document of a sovereign state then they are alone in their in denial.

The important fact is that the Iraqi passport is recognised by the international community and if Turkey doesn't recognise it then the international community doesn't recognise their right to boycott it. It's as simple as that. When turkey realises they are not the only ethnicity in this world, then maybe we can communicate to them as a civilised state.

Xebat Hewrami - Iraq

Turkey is like a person who has a fatal illness and is trying hard to win time before his death. If turkey didn’t succeed in vanishing the Kurdish existence after 75 years of abandoning the Kurdish language never mind recognising any element of official recognition, how it will succeed now?
    Majid Hassan - UK

Iraqi government and Kurdish parliament’s silence constitutes support for Turkish fascists and their policies towards Kurds. What the hell are we afraid of? Do we not believe in our Kurdish nation?

Zardesht Shwani – USA

My concern is not about this Turkish shameful step, since their Tyranny regime is a champion in this regard. With an exemption of some Arab countries about the Hebrew script, Turkey is the only country in the world which put itself in this disgrace position, in fact they are the Champion of the century in discrimination and violating of the very basic human rights.

My apprehension is about the European Union future, and its civilisation and tolerance characters, I don’t know , based on which logical reasons, they try to fit this fundamental, discriminate and intolerant regime in their Union?, it will be an odd action. My other concern comes from the US admiration to what so called (the Turkish democracy)! and, their constantly introducing this (Kemalist) regime, as an exalted example of democracy in the Muslim world!! My last and biggest anxiety is about the Kurdish administration policy; their economic policy is based on the ultimate dependency on this foe system. Its hard to know how they dare to put all their (economic) eggs into those raciest regime’s pocket, and give the priority in reconstruction process in Kurdistan to the Turkish companies, while they wish to be deaf but not hear the word of (Kurdistan) and they prefer to be blind but not see the Kurdistani flag and thy turn mad when they hear about the progressive Kurdistan. I believe it is a sort of miscalculation of the Kurdish politicians, in this regard. I don’t say we should emulate their Chauvinist stance, and boycott the Turkish companies but at least we should be a ware in their (Kurdophobia) illness, and not forget, those dark years of 1990s, when both revelry Kurdish parties (PUK and KDP) invited Turks to Kurdistan and asked their forces as peace keepers (PMF). They came to Kurdistan, but in reality they were peace violators and further inflamed the Kurdish civil war.

Aram Rafaat - Australia

A couple of years ago the Turkish Foreign Minister declared they will fight Kurdish rights even in Argentina but it was overlooked just as the racist constitution on which Turkey was established, is largely ignored, however this example goes beyond discriminating against Kurds under her jurisdiction, and goes another step by rebuffing international law and Turkey's obligations to the treaties she had signed.

The solution is to make this world know what Turkey really stands for.
    In our present global village such pathetic behavior will certainly be looked at with dismay and will be counterproductive to Turkey’s image, business, and self-esteem.

Serhat Kerkuki - Kurdistan

The Turkish Government’s juvenile behavior should not deter any travelers; Kurds should simply take their business elsewhere. In time, perhaps Turkey’s Kemalist politicians will abandon their recalcitrant ways once they recognize the true nature of the Kurdish situation on the ground.

J Taha – USA

What a shame for a country claims to be civilized and fighting for obtaining membership in European Union while those despotic still live with the very out-of-date Ataturk ideology.

Shorsh Ako – Australia

General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Part II

Who cares about Turkey we shouldn’t accept turkey passport from now on.

Diyar Kurd – Australia

I don't get it. Why does every transport have to be through Turkey? Why can't they use a longer route but not Turkey? I know it is hard and costs a lot more but after a while, the only one that doesn't benefit is Turkey. I say stop begging them for every thing. Until now Turkey has control over even southern Kurdistan. They and Iran still attack certain Kurdish villages but nothing is done about it. All it says in the newspapers is that luckily no one was killed. That’s a good thing but what about the rest?

Tavgar Bulbas – UK

Thank you Turkey! Thank you Ataturk! Thank you MIT! Thank you Mongolia! Yet again you emphasized that you are not from this part of the world, and you don not have the culture of tolerance as we Kurds, Armenians and Greeks do.

Payam Rush – Kurdistan

it is not surprising. This is typical Turkish action; full racism against Kurds. As a Kurd from Turkey, this doesn't surprise me. What surprises me is what my southern Kurdistani (kurdistan Region of Iraq) brothers do. They hug Turks. They make big economic contracts. Their economy is under Turkish influence. Wake up and get rid of the influence and effect of racist Turks on your economy.

Rojhilat B. - North Kurdistan

Turkey has always had problems with accepting the existence of Kurds and fought so hard to oppress and destroy their language and culture by the most violent means possible. Wake up the racist, xenophobic, oppressive Turkish state! Wake up and face your worst nightmare. Kurds and Kurdistan is a reality which you can no longer deny. The sooner you accept this the better it is for you!

Hatice Gunes - UK

The Turkish government needs to wake up and look at the developments in its environment with an objective frame of mind. By denying the Kurds throughout its history, they have not only increased the dangers of a civil war but have also given themselves a bad reputation in the global agenda. Turkey needs to recognise the realities around itself instead of digging its head into the sand. Otherwise, they will be the ones to loose out because Kurds are certainly getting stronger day-by-day in every field. I hope that Turkey will make the necessary reforms to recognise the existence of the Kurdish people and a Kurdistan. By delaying things, they are only making the situation worse for themselves and for the people that live in the country.

Kamil Tiskaya - UK

This is a very "normal" Turkish State's policy against Kurds. For them The Kurds simply don't exist and even if you show them they don't recognise. From other space when an alien lands at Ankara airport I'm sure they will know them from which planet they are. They even will claim the aliens to be Turkish descent. This is the tragicomic state of Turkish Republic. What can be done against this? The best option would be to just be patient and watch this beast to come to his senses by his madness and laughter of the world community. They called themselves a republic yet in fact a junta. They say they have democracy yet in fact they have a state based exclusively of one race. They want to be part of European Union yet they are not even close to Iran or Iraq in their attitude towards Kurds. The Turkish State is neither a republic nor a democracy nor is worthy to be part of European Union.

Hemo U Tazi - Canada

When I read about the problems Kurds are facing with their new passports with Kurdish language on them I was filled with anger. This is the denial of a people and there is no excuse. It is pure racism, which would never be tolerated within Europe.

In 2002, on my way back from Amed, I saw two Kurdish friends who had full Dutch citizenship at Attaturk airport. The people on the check-in desk for their flight were saying that their papers were "not in order" (How can you argue with a Dutch passport?.

At the time things were very sensitive between Turkey and the European Union so, once the Turkish staff saw the two Kurds were very friendly with the "British guy" they had checked in earlier for the same flight, they suddenly announced that their Dutch passports were OK. I have seen this discrimination, first hand. They did not want a very public problem with a British national who spoke some Kurdish.

Let's be honest, most Turks just want food on their tables. The Turkish government is playing a balancing game with the Turkish military. The Turkish military would love to destroy every Kurdish person on the planet; it's not really a secret is it? If the government goes too far towards "liberalisation" and accepting Kurdish rights then the Turkish government is staring down the barrel of a gun. The last military coup occurred in 1980, just twenty-six years ago. No wonder the government is nervous.

The whole world knows that the Turkish state discriminates against Kurds and Kurdish culture, the whole world chooses to not speak about it. The only real answer is for Turkey to become a member of the European Union and then its "business" will be well supervised and maybe some change will come. Aggressive action by northern Kurds is pointless at the present time, it just creates more enemies if you kill foreign nationals and Turkish civilians, and you have enough enemies already.

I believe 100% in Kurdistan, I believe 100% in the Kurdish people, your leaders I can never believe in. I say hello to Ali in Amsterdam (one of the poor men with the Dutch passports) and I tell you I have seen, heard, felt and smelt the discrimination against Kurds in Turkey. I know it is real.

Peter Stitt - UK

What Turkey has done is a mockery of international law. All civilised nations which are signatories to UN would recognise and honour their obligation toward legal documentations carried by citizens of other member states. It is the state which owns and issues such documents such as passports rather than individuals. This is what civilised nations do all around the world. Turkey is just like what South Africa used to be, a state of apartheid. Turkey is making a statement by saying that Kurds are not welcomed in Turkey and they are not hiding their hatred toward Kurds. Let us take this argument to the European Parliament. The Leader of the Labour Party MEP is Gary TItley (http://www.garytitley.com ). UK is championing the Turkey's application to EEC. We should collect all the concerns and send them to our MEP so that Turkey knows that the Kurds can fight back some other way. Let us remind the Europe that Turkey is not mature enough to become a member of Europe. If they pinch us then let us bite hard until it hurts. The Kurds are civilised people and we can rise above this. We can pay a little bit extra and go through other routs. In fact every Kurd should avoid and advise their friends to avoid going to Turkey. We do not need Turkey. If every Kurd send a letter to Turkey's Prime Minister and remind him that we were here in our land 2000 years before Turkey even existed and will remain here if they likes it or not.

We do not disappear or go a way. We will speak our language and sing our songs and we will carry a Kurdistan passport one day. We will triumph and we will be victorious and we will never ever surrender to their will. WE are proud and we stand as tall as our mountains. So let us write to their embassies around the world. It does not cost much. Write in Kurdish and a European language. Just imagine 10 million letters heading toward their embassy in UK. UK post office does deliver every single letter.

Azad Pishko - UK

It does not matter what Turkish, Arab or Iranian leaders say. The most important thing is Kurdish leaders with backbone who will have a referendum on a Kurdish state. The Kurds just saw what happened in Montenegro. What the Kurds needs is a leader like the Montenegro people have?

Dan Wilson - USA

Turkey is a fake country with an ideology based on a web of lies. With the fall of the Ottoman Empire, the Westerners vowed to make sure there would never be another Ottoman Empire and so they created from scratch this Pan-Turkist ideology and got one of their agents, Kemal Pasha Ataturk, a Greek Jew, to implement it.

For over 80 years, Turkey has done the bidding of the Westerners, in destabilising the Middle-East and other would-be powers like Iran, etc. and it continues to do so, with the blessing of the Westerners. In order to continue on their destabilisation effort, they systematically annihilate any element which would not adhere to their Pan-Turkist ideology, like the indigenous peoples of the region, i.e. the Kurds, Armenians, Zazais, etc.

Unfortunately, Pan-Turkism does not stop at the borders of the Western-imposed borders of Turkey, but seeks to deny any existence of anything that can remind the non-native nature of Turkey and Pan-Turkism, and so they act as we saw with the Kurds of Iraq and strive to expand their Pan-Turkist terror network into Iran also, all with the blessing of the Western powers.

All Kurds must stop dreaming in thinking the Americans, the Europeans, etc. care about them. To their eyes, we are all Iranians, and Iranians must be quashed by all means, for our ancestors have shown through the ages, that we are a proud people, with a proud history, with a proud culture, and can be a threat to their interests. The Westerners rested the southern portions of Iran and put Arab Bedouins in power (Iraq + Persian Gulf); they rested the eastern parts of Iran (Afghanistan, Uzbekistan, Pakistan) and put Pashtuns, Indians and Uzbeks in power and they've rested Western Iran and put Turkicized Europeans in power (Turkey).

This situation will continue until the day either all Kurds (and all Iranians) will be destroyed or until the day all Iranians unite and show these foreigners what we're really made of. The reality is that the world is nastier then we want to believe it to be. It is time to wake up before it's too late.

Kamran Soltani – France

The national irrationalism of Turks can not change the existence of Kurdish reality. The Turks have a kind of tragic/ comic hypocrisy. At their airports they don’t accept Kurdish identity on the passport. But in Erbil, on the wall of the Turkish Companies` offices there are Kurdistan map and flag! Moreover, the shareholders of these companies have military identity (generals) who are the murder of ordinary Kurds of Turkey.

I think the real responsibility belongs to the Southern Kurdish authorities. In Turkey, any Kurd who claims openly his identity cannot get any business possibility or any official post. One can understand that trade relationship with Turkey is inevitable for Southern Kurds. But without having any strategies, for long run this is a risk. Turkey can not and should not be first business partner of Kurds. Especially, oil industry and main trade sectors have to be kept away from Turks. For the rest, Kurdish intelligence services have to do security inquiry about of the Turkish companies. Who are the shareholders? Have they any trace of criminality against Kurds of Turkey? Who are the major staffs? Are there any person between them who is connected any kind of crime against Kurds? What is their political tendency? Are they anti-Kurd in fact?

So, it is important to survey their activities in daily life in Kurdistan. And of course to give the equal fresh reaction for this kind of treatment

Pakî Madenî – Kurdistan

General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

Part III

Why are we so surprised? As if we are dealing with a western democracy. We already know that Turkey is paranoid with Kurds in Turkey, abroad, in China, South America, etc. But what strikes me is that we Kurds are not even capable of dealing such an enemy filled with hatred, outdated ideology and ridiculous socio-political attitudes in international arenas. Turkey's official ideology is notoriously annoying and bad. There is a saying: "Dog barks, caravan walks."

Ali Kaplan - USA

It is an enormous discriminatory action that needs to be dealt with in the United Nations and also in the International Penal Court. Perhaps Iraq should be recall their Ambassador in Ankara after sends a strong protest note.

Ricardo Gustavo Espeja – Spain

Turkey’s decision not to accept passport with Kurdish script indicates the admirable determination and confidence of this country. They are doing what they think is right in their view, even if it is discriminatory and primitive in they eye of the civilized world. The governments in Hawler and Baghdad are now part of the establishments and their survival depends on not making the confident and powerful Turkey angry. The problems are the Kurds themselves, who have no confidence in themselves and are willing to be subjugated to such a humiliation by traveling via a country that treats their people as subhuman. Once all Kurds recognize that they are neither less nor more worthy than anybody and should have the same rights as Turks, Persians, and Arabs, and once they boycott the countries in the Middle East with a discriminatory policy, then they will be treated as equal.

Kamal Artin – USA

What an embarrassing and backwards thoughts and actions. It looks like our friends Kurdish people have moved on unlike my government Turkey. We need fresh brains to run our government and not the old ones.

Efe Miller – Turkey

First of all Kurds should not be proud to have Kurdish script in Iraqi passport. We always want to settle for less, we should have our country with Kurdish passport no Arabic scripts only Kurdish and English. Secondly Iraq did not want to have Kurdish script in Iraqi passport in the beginning. Since they are weak therefore they allowed it, not because they want it or like it. We all know this is temporary, once Iraqi government gets strength, it will get ride of the Kurdish script. Do not we all remember Kurdish language also was reached to Arabs even in Baghdad? Do not we all remember they get rid of it and they gone even further the forbid Kurdish language? Do not we all remember we have to study Kurdish subject in Arabic? Third we should have known by now how Turks are; the only time Turks consider Kurds as human being when Kurds declare independent. For less than that we going to have million of problems and the weak Kurdish leader cannot deal with them. The last thing, do not the Kurdish leaders call those fascist Turks as their brothers and reach out for them.

Halo K. – Kurdistan

For over 80 years the Turks called the people of Northern Kurdistan Mountain Turks. Kurds were robbed of their language, culture and self-determination by the Turks and the West along with the United States kept silent because of the strategic location of Turkey during the Cold War. All this has changed now and the cold war has become a warm war in a sense and Turkey has realized that. The time has changed and the Turks are taking one lost stand to oppress the Kurdish identity but they will fail just like they failed in the past. Kurdish language and Culture is much richer and older than the Turks, We were here long before the Turks showed up and will be here forever.

Dilo Zibari – Canada

You will see the Turkish authority will recognise the new passport, as they did before when they did not recognise the Kurdistan stamps on the departing Turkish passports. However this new action is just for public show, the Kurdish money bought the Turkish government’s stance on Kurdistan. The Turkish government recognised the state of Sothern Kurdistan a long time ago.

Shorish Menmi – UK

Iraq should take the first step in this action, today not tomorrow. An official response should be requested from Turkey for the reason those passport holders were denied their “Passport” rights. If this response is not delivered or is disrespectful of the passport holders “Citizens of Iraq” then Kurds must demand action primarily through the Iraqi government and not so lightly throughout the word, in countries where they are citizens. Elaboration beyond this without formal response is not advantageous at this stage.

Dillawer Kazzaz – UK

This is funny; you mean people from a different country can't go through Turkey if they have a Kurdish script on their passport? These Turks really need to wake up and smell the coffee. I know exactly the reason why turkey is doing this; they are simply and constantly living in FEAR. One way or another, they need to realize that Kurds do exist and one day they will be sorry because whatever goes around, comes around.

Reber Berwari – USA

Basically the Kurds should not worry or accept what their neighbours are thinking or saying or opposing, as Israel doesn’t. The present reality is that there is a nation that called KURDS whether our neighbours like it or not and is gaining international recognition continually. The Turks are suffering from lack of confidence in their history which has no foundation in Middle East hence acting in this way.

Farhad Ably – UK

This is a very serious violation of human rights and a blunt racist action by the Turkish government! KRG and the Iraqi government should take an immediate action in the UN and the EU, this kind of behaviour will not grant them EU membership!

Kurdo Azad – USA

Of course the Iraqi as well as the Kurdish Regional Governments should not hesitate to deliver formal and official protests to Ankara. At the same time official complaints should be sent to the UN and the EU. To remain silent, even if it were just for a few days, might be misinterpreted as a sort of consent!

Sissy Danninger – USA

This is laughable and unbelievable how far the Turks and their authority from this world are. They should learn something from the past or perhaps their brain is locked and they do not think any more, they still stepping as 83 years ago. Pity! Some EU members want Turkey in the European Union. Soon or late they regret it.

Amin Arbaba – Australia

An effective measure could be to announce a general boycott to everything that is made in Turkey. So I call upon all my fellow Kurds to really do this: immediately start boycotting everything that is related to Turkey including their goods, products, music, language,.... till Turkey stops its hatred for Kurd and Kurdistan; and accepts to have a friendly relation with Kurdistan not only in the southern part but also in northern Kurdistan and other parts of Kurdistan. All Kurds in Diaspora can also play a big role; they can protest against this unseen hatred and enmity of Turkey against Kurds and Kurdistan.

Him Omar – Kurdistan

We Kurds should immediately start boycotting the protects from these countries, Turkey, Syrian, Iraq and Iran.

Soran Mokriani - Sweden

As a Turk, I am embarrassed by the Turkish government’s action. It’s the time to move on and be friends. Enough blood has been shed. Turkish government needs to be in the 21st century and not 60 years behind it.

Efe Istanbul – Turkey

I don’t know what to say about this; it is such a discriminatory act of Turkey! Well, we should not be surprised since what they have always been doing from country's foundation to this very day. But one day will come that they will have to recognize "kurdistan passport" , not only Kurdish script one an Iraqi passport, but Kurdish passport from the country that will be called, "KURDISTAN"

– Northern Kurdistan

It is nothing new that Turkey denies everything that has connection with Kurdish language, culture etc... Since Turkish establishment in 1923, their policy with people of non-Turkish (especially Kurdish) origin is to deny their existence, integrate non-Turks into Turkish culture and to take every opportunity to oppress and "clean" other cultures in Turkey and North-Kurdistan.

What is interesting is that when Turkey was founded, the Turks didn’t know what the Turkish culture was. Even Ataturk had problems of knowing what the Turkish culture was. So they made an idea of what Turkish culture was. And to this day the Turkish people glorify their culture, which their ancestors made up, in a period when fascism and Nazism was popular.

Afshin Mohammadi - Norway

The Turks are a new nation in the area. They don't have depth of historical, cultural and civilised background. They occupied the current land by violence and through genocides; hence, they fear to lose it to more sophisticated cultures such as Armenian, Greeks and Kurds. Due to the Turkish lacks a genuine identity, they struggle to recognise any others.

Aram Jayt – Sweden

I think that Kurdish leaders think that they patrol can influence turkey and giving 80% of contract to Turkish company in order to build Kurdistan will help them to recognise the Kurdistan of Iraq by turkey. Kurdish policy is not enough strategic too much utopia. Kurds must limit the Turkish influence in Kurdistan. Otherwise, Kurds will pay for their mistake. If someone is a threat to your life, you protect yourself against him, not open your door naively.

Semko Power – Northern Kurdistan

Kurds should find other travel routes to their destination to Europe or anywhere else in the world and not worry about Turkey. Let the Turks lose business - tough luck for them.

Waled Botani – Australia

Turks will suffer of all they inflicted and all they want to do against Kurds.

Ferhad Bradosti - UK

I don't really care about what Turkey has to say on anything anymore. They are digging their own graves and the deeper they dig the harder it will be to get out. If it already has not done so, Turkey will lose all credibility at the UN, EU and anywhere else where there are intelligent people. Comments like these reaffirm Turkey’s arrogance in the face of destitution; it actually believes that it can change international policy simply by disagreeing with it. I am happy that they will not recognise it, for when they start to refuse entry to all those millionaire Kurdish businessmen because it says 'Kurdistan' it will be all the more gratifying when they back down.

The Iraqi and Kurdish government should break off all economic relations with Turkey and within one week the Turkey will not be so impulsive. With such disregard for logic, the Kurds in Iraq will be the downfall of Turkish government, society and economy without even firing a single bullet, their chauvinism will be their downfall.

Hawar Jamal Ameen – UK

Turkey is burying its head in the sand and cant face the reality of today. The achievement of the Kurdish nation within Iraq is inevitable and sooner or later they have to accept the federal structure in Iraq and the rights of the Kurds in general. Turkey’s behaviour is ludicrous really.

Ala Zangana - Sweden
      Last edited by Joseph; 04-16-2009, 05:16 AM.

Comment

Good, Turkey does not recognize the new passport, that means it won't recognize Iraq.
        Better, hell we don't want more Turk companies with their xxxxty products enter Iraq and cladd every wall with "ULKER" or whatever kind of turk product

Comment

Originally posted by kerkuk_kurdista
          Good, Turkey does not recognize the new passport, that means it won't recognize Iraq.
          Better, hell we don't want more Turk companies with their xxxxty products enter Iraq and cladd every wall with "ULKER" or whatever kind of turk product
          I think it is HITTING BELOW THE BELT.THIS IS ALREADY ancestor JOB OF KURDISH MINORITY.

but we are still in Iraq because Iraq is our ancestor land and your power is not enough to capture it.
          [SIZE="5"]no one[/SIZE] and [SIZE="6"]nothing[/SIZE] [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]will be forgetten[/COLOR] and [SIZE="6"][FONT="Arial Black"][COLOR="Red"]FORGİVEN[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by ATSIZ
            I think it is HITTING BELOW THE BELT.THIS IS ALREADY ancestor JOB OF KURDISH MINORITY.

but we are still in Iraq because Iraq is our ancestor land and your power is not enough to capture it.
            Not quite sure what Astiz is trying to say but this could get interesting, I believe Astiz is claiming Iraq as his ancestors land.

I think you are wrong Astiz, whether you like it or not, it is a forgone conclusion that a Kurdish state will emerge in Iraq in the near future; it is already taking shape under your very eyes. I guess under Turkish reasoning, the Kurdistan will now have to be invaded? Yeah, that'll work.

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph
              I guess under Turkish reasoning, the Kurdistan will now have to be invaded? Yeah, that'll work.

you are very clever at the same time not logical.kurdish people think Iraq is their land but in the history never a kurdistan existed.
              [SIZE="5"]no one[/SIZE] and [SIZE="6"]nothing[/SIZE] [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]will be forgetten[/COLOR] and [SIZE="6"][FONT="Arial Black"][COLOR="Red"]FORGİVEN[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

you are very clever at the same time not logical.kurdish people think Iraq is their land but in the history never a kurdistan existed.
                So apparently the Kurds suddenly appeared one day in Northern Iraq from Mars. They were never there in any majority and still aren't today, right?

Comment

they do not have the ability for everything

you do not want to understand me or you are not as clever as I suppose.I did not say they were not there,They were in Persian land and they had been sent to Anatolia...but they couldn't be succesfull about having a country ...they lived under defend of other nations. as you lived until Lozan

Comment

you do not want to understand me or you are not as clever as I suppose.I did not say they were not there,They were in Persian land and they had been sent to Anatolia...but they couldn't be succesfull about having a country ...they lived under defend of other nations. as you lived until Lozan
                    Good to see that you at least recognize they are the majority there (some Turks go as far to negate even that) and now it looks like there is a Kurdish state emerging. I would argue that the Kurds are not under the defense of other nations as you claim (how could any state even claim to be defending you when the state abuses you and only begrudgingly recognizes or tolerates your existence?), but instead have been the victim of many nations, yours included. I would hardly include Iraq, Iran, Syria, and Turkey as friends to the Kurds. In any regard, they will be a new entity to deal with in the near future.

Comment

Working...
                    X