Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

The Western Armenian Language Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Western Armenian Language Thread

Post questions and comments on written and spoken Western Armenian. Easterners versed in Western Armenian are welcome as well! Post books, movies, or anything else that you think are great resources to either learn or listen to.

Հարցումներ եւ գրադատութիւններ Արեւմտահայերէնի մասին գրէ'ք: Արեւելեան Հայեր Արեւմտահայերէն որ գիտեն քոյլատրած են գրել ալ: Գիրքեր, շարժանկարներ կամ բան մը որ սիրէք: Յաջողութիւն:

- Նաեւ, այստեղ Արեւմտահայերէնով կամ Անգլերէնով պէտք է որ գրէք:
    Last edited by yerazhishda; 09-11-2008, 04:42 PM.

Re: The Western Armenian Language Thread

Beginner's Armenian - H. Andonian

Commisioned by AGBU in the 1950's, this is the book that I am currently working from. It is very thorough and not for the faint of heart. I have only gotten halfway through it and I've been learning from it since December. Some mistakes, some vagueness in regards to definitions and examples, but overall a very good resource. $15

A Textbook of Modern Western Armenian - K. Bardakjian

I have it but have never seriously studied from it. Seems to be suited more to classroom study than self-study. 100 pages longer and published more recently than Beginner's Armenian. $25

English-Armenian/Armenian-English Modern Dictionary - M. Koushakdjian and Rev. D. Khantrouni

The only respectable W. Armenian-English/English-W. Armenian dictionary available in America. Printed in Beirut, this is geared towards Beirutsi learning English and thus features a doubly larger English-Armenian section. However, There are only a few words that I was not able to find in the Armenian-English section so far. $45

Vocabulearn - W. Armenian (2 lvls.)

Get both levels as they are worth it. If you want get the tapes because they are cheaper; the CDs are the same program, they don't include more words. Essential. $20-30 depending on whether it's used/new or tape/CD.

Comment

W. Armenian language websites:

Armenian, Karabaghtsi, Armenian-American and World events from the perspective of the Tashnagtsoutiun (ARF). Very well thought-out articles regardless of your political position. A little difficult for the beginner but if you have Koushakdjian dictionary you should be able to understand it. Free.

Eastern Armenian dictionary, but can be used for W. Armenian. Another great resource for quickly searching words in either language if you don't want to search through your Koushakdjian dictionary. Not as complete as a traditional dictionary as the content is user-submitted. Use with caution as orthography, spelling, and some words are not necessarily mutually intelligible. Free.

Based out of California. Mostly books in E. Armenian, but there is a sizeable stock of books in W. Armenian. When searching for authors/books in W. Armenian, they use the E. Armenian pronounciation. (Ex. if you typed in "Baronian" you wouldn't find anything, but if you typed in "Paronian" all of his books would come up).

Especially helpful to the beginner is the "Madenashari Hradaragoutiunner" (Pocket-book Series) published by Cilicia Bookstore Publishing & Printing House (Aleppo). This is an economical series of Western Armenian classics by Baronian, Odian, Toumanian, Raffi, Hamasdegh, etc. This series gives the beginner an opportunity to read real books. $12-15, $20 w/ shipping.
      Last edited by yerazhishda; 09-11-2008, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Can someone help me with the definitions to these words? Thanks.

Ա) լերան
        Բ) աչ - աչերդ, աչերուդ
        Գ) պերլինի

Comment

Originally posted by yerazhishda View Post
          Can someone help me with the definitions to these words? Thanks.

Ա) լերան
          Բ) աչ - աչերդ, աչերուդ
          Գ) պերլինի

լերան - on the mountain

աչ - աչերդ, աչերուդ, eye - your eyes - your eyes (western) (Should be spelled աչք)

պերլինի - Berliner or Berlin's

Here's a decent translator:

Comment

Originally posted by crusader1492 View Post
            լերան - on the mountain

աչ - աչերդ, աչերուդ, eye - your eyes - your eyes (western)

պերլինի - Berliner or Berlin's

Here's a decent translator:

www.translator.am
            Thank you, enger.

This is what I thought (although «լերան» should be spelt «լեռան»). And because «աչ» appears many times without the «ք», I was confused as to what it meant.

P.S. How have you done learning Armenian? What methods/approaches have you found useful?

Comment

Originally posted by crusader1492 View Post
              աչ - աչերդ, աչերուդ, eye - your eyes - your eyes (western) (Should be spelled աչք)
              You're a little off.

աչերուդ (or աչերիդ in Eastern Armenian) implies - for your eyes.

Also, plural in the Armenian language can be done two ways, by adding a ք or a եր at the end of the word.

Therefore, it's either աչք or աչեր

Many Western Armenian speakers for some reason make the mistake of saying աչքեր.

Originally posted by yerazhishda View Post
              And because «աչ» appears many times without the «ք», I was confused as to what it meant.
              Again.

աչ = eye

աչք or աչեր = eyes.
              Մեր ժողովուրդն արանց հայրենասիրութեան այն է, ինչ որ մի մարմին' առանց հոգու:

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Armenian View Post
                Many Western Armenian speakers for some reason make the mistake of saying աչքեր.
                Ahhh that makes more sense. I've always heard people say «աչքեր». Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

You're a little off.Also, plural in the Armenian language can be done two ways, by adding a ք or a եր at the end of the word.
                  Is that a left over from Grabar? «Շունք» կամ «կատուք» լսած չեմ: Is it used in any other context other than for "eyes"?

Comment

You're a little off.

աչերուդ (or աչերիդ in Eastern Armenian) implies - for your eyes.

Also, plural in the Armenian language can be done two ways, by adding a ք or a եր at the end of the word.
                    Therefore, it's either աչք or աչեր

Again.

աչ = eye

աչք or աչեր = eyes.
                    I'm not so sure about a ք making word plural (եր is correct if the word is one syllable). I have a house full of both western and eastern Armenian speakers who say so.

Comment

Working...
                    X