Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Resettlement of Armenians in the Caucasus by Russia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resettlement of Armenians in the Caucasus by Russia

Hi. There is nothing I can't debunk in the official Azeri version of history, including their claim that "Armenians never existed in the Caucasus before the Russian Empire."

However, the claim that Armenians were resettled in the Caucasus is a fact, and information about this is scarce.

I know that in the 17th century, the Shah of Persia relocated Armenians in Tehran, where they established "New Julfa." We know that most of these Armenians were from Julfa in Nakhichevan. This was done for three reasons:
    1. Armenians were very successful merchants, and the Shah wanted to exploit this talent to help enrich Tehran.
    2. Armenians lived in the proximity of Ottoman-Persian wars, and were relocated for their safety.
    3. By spreading Armenians around the empire, they effectively eliminated the Christian majority and helped the assimilation and conversion of Armenians (this is why Erivan became a predominantly muslim city). Since Armenians were also rebellious, this effectively ended rebellions and liberation ambitions.

When Russia conquered the South Caucasus, Armenians were encouraged to return to the new "Armenian Oblast" (Erivan & Nakhichevan regions) they established.

However, Armenians in Karabakh were never affected by the relocation by the Shah, and slightly affected by the resettlement by Russians.

So my question is, is there an objective source where I can verify exactly how the Armenians were resettled in the Caucasus? How many, where, from where, their fate, etc. From English sources, I can't find much, and I can't read/speak Russian, nor Persian, and Turkish sources are too biased toward the Azerbaijani version of the events for me to consider.

I know there was only 1 census ever done by the Russian Empire, in 1897, in which Armenian Christians were counted at 1,218,081* and muslims at 13,906,972* (throughout the entire empire, not just the Caucasus), so since there is no census prior to this, and Caucasian Tatars are considered part of the huge muslim population of the empire, we can't really use this.

Is there a way to verify the Russian archives to see the population of regions at certain dates? Or is there a source that gives this information?

(let it be in Russian, Google Translate will fix this problem).

*http://www.archipelag.ru/ru_mir/reli...tatistics-imp/
    Last edited by SevSpitak; 09-25-2010, 05:14 PM.

Re: Resettlement of Armenians in the Caucasus by Russia

Check this link out for statistics http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erivan_...e#Demographics

Also check these out too:
    After the incorporation of the khanate into the Russian Empire in 1828, many Muslims (Azerbaijani Tatars, Kurds, Lezgis and various nomadic tribes) migrated to Persia, and were replaced with tens of thousands of repatriated and resettled Armenians from Persia. Such migrations, albeit on a lesser scale, continued until the end of the 19th century. Conflict in Nagorno-Karabakh, Abkhazia and South Ossetia: A Legal Appraisal by Tim Potier. Martinus Nijhoff Publishers. 2001. p.2 ISBN 9041114777
    From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khanate_of_Erevan

The Russian authorities allowed and encouraged Armenians living in Turkish and Persian territory to migrate into Russian territory - about 49,000 subsequently settled in the Armenian Oblast. Armenian captives who were moved and lived in Iran since 1804 or even as far back as 1795 were permitted to return, which permitted Armenians to regain plurality. The Cambridge History of Iran by William Bayne Fisher, Peter Avery, Ilya Gershevitch, Gavin Hambly, Charles Melville, Cambridge University Press, 1991 p. 339
    From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armenian_oblast
    Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

That's great, thnaks.

This subject came to mind because Pashayeva (sister of Aliyev's wife) claims that the Russian archives has a census for each region in the Caucasus from year to year ever since its conquest, and the Armenian population only began in the 19th century. I'd like to know if there is access to this information that she claims without really providing the documents to prove it.
      Last edited by SevSpitak; 09-25-2010, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SevSpitak View Post
        That's great, thnaks.

This subject came to mind because Pashayeva (sister of Aliyev's wife) claims that the Russian archives has a census for each region in the Caucasus from year to year ever since its conquest, and the Armenian population only began in the 19th century. I'd like to know if there is access to this information that she claims without really providing the documents to prove it.
        Even if such censuses were taken and that's a very big if.
        Even if those records survived, another big if.
        The common practice in all lands was that people avoided giving true and honest details to the census, to avoid taxation, military service etc. etc.

Comment

Working...
        X