Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

From James Dean to Stalin: The Tragedy of Armenian Repatriation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From James Dean to Stalin: The Tragedy of Armenian Repatriation

What do you all think? Does the hayrenadarts/teghatsi division still exist in Armenia today? While I don't think the treatment of repatriates is as horrific as during the Stalin/Khrushchev periods, I would argue that it does. The word akhpar has been used more than once on these forums, particularly by Mos. Then again, the first president of Armenia was a repatriate from Syria...

Speaking of which, communist emissaries tried to get my father's family to make the move from Aleppo to Armenia in the postwar period. I am so glad they decided to stay put.

From James Dean to Stalin by Hazel Antaramian Hofman

As a young child, she always wondered why she lived in Yerevan when her father was born in the U.S. and her mother was from Lyon. Then she understood. With an historical-artistic project, Hazel Antaramian Hofman follows the footprints of those people, who, from all over the world, decided to migrate to Armenia after the Second World War

I was born in 1960, in Yerevan, Armenia, yet spoke little Armenian, and what I did speak was Western Armenian. As a young child, I always wondered why I came from such an exotic place when my father was born in Kenosha, Wisconsin, and my mother was from Lyon, France. Only after years of hearing stories did I realize that I was the product of two Armenian Diaspora post-World War II repatriate children, who were compelled by their father and mother’s emotive sense of hayrenik to leave one known cultural and ideological ground for another.

Read the rest here

Pictures here

Re: From James Dean to Stalin: The Tragedy of Armenian Repatriation

This is an extremely bitter piece but I thought it was worth sharing because it discusses issues that are never addressed (and are actually suppressed) by both Armenia and the diaspora.

Comment

Pretty good read there. I gotta say it very much touches on what i have been saying fora long time-diaspora and Armenia need to intigrate- that the syrian armenians need to fight-that the armenian lobby is a compromised piece of bs. The resentment for the foreigners that the article talks about is somewhat misplaced. The hayastantsis were not angry at the akhpars for coming to eat their bread-they were angry because the akhpars came with money and flaunted it when the hayastantsis themselves were poor and struggeling. The story here is told from a onesided point of view. The division of the diaspora from Armenia is our biggest enemy and needs to be adressed more then anything else except security issues.
      Originally posted by TomServo View Post
      This is an extremely bitter piece but I thought it was worth sharing because it discusses issues that are never addressed (and are actually suppressed) by both Armenia and the diaspora.
      Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
        Pretty good read there. I gotta say it very much touches on what i have been saying fora long time-diaspora and Armenia need to intigrate- that the syrian armenians need to fight-that the armenian lobby is a compromised piece of bs. The resentment for the foreigners that the article talks about is somewhat misplaced. The hayastantsis were not angry at the akhpars for coming to eat their bread-they were angry because the akhpars came with money and flaunted it when the hayastantsis themselves were poor and struggeling. The story here is told from a onesided point of view. The division of the diaspora from Armenia is our biggest enemy and needs to be adressed more then anything else except security issues.
        Except that the Armenian solution to alleged "division" is always some self-proclaimed "Superior Armenians" saying that they have more insight then mere "ordinary Armenians", and the solution is just to "do what I say". This of course just creates even more division.

Perhaps the solution is to get rid of those cowardly, self-seeking "leaders" inside Armenia and amongst the diaspora.

At present, NATO and the Gulf States are sponsoring a revolution that is undermining Syria, and the Armenians who fled massacre in Turkey into Syria, are now fleeing Syria. The true nature of this revolution can be readily brought home, if not to fools who believe in “people power”, then at least to Armenians, by indicating that the genocidal “Deep State” rulers of Turkey have taken the lead in supporting and fomenting the revolution in Syria under the pretense of averting a “humanitarian disaster”
        Ironically, with regard to Syria, many Armenians in the diaspora are making the same argument deniers of the Armenian genocide put forward as to why so many Armenians were killed around the first world war, namely, that they were “caught up” in a general chaos of war rather than being deliberately targeted. So instead of using the means available to them through the Armenian media and employing lobby groups to exert some political pressure to try and avert the disaster of having Syrian Armenians further removed from their lands, when not sitting with their hands folded, are collecting money to empty them from Syria and send them further from their lands.

The behavior of the leaders of the diaspora organizations cannot exclusively be explained by avarice and stupidity. A number of them are undoubtedly corrupted traitors who have made a deal with the devil.
        If the "true nature" is so readily visible to Armenians, why the total silence from ALL of them (not just from their supposed leaders)? All we get are simplistic propaganda about a 100 year old genocide and silence about the one taking place today. But, as I've said before, this is not surprising given that the same complete silence happened during the American-led genocide of Iraqi Christians.
        Last edited by bell-the-cat; 02-14-2013, 10:05 AM.
        Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
          I'm not saying it's 100% accurate, it is a personal account, after all. But there are many similar stories (just look at my initial post in this thread). As for "resentment for the foreigners" -- well, that's one thing the author doesn't address -- the impact of Stalinism and its extreme xenophobia on Soviet Armenia and the Soviet Union in general.

Also, the author asserts that the treatment of Syrian Armenians will likely mirror the treatment of the akhpars in the 1940s. Those Halebtsis better make sure they don't flaunt all their money.
          Last edited by TomServo; 02-14-2013, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X