Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Sumgait/Baku Gone Unrecognized

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sumgait/Baku Gone Unrecognized

Does anyone else think that Sumgait didnt get the appropriate recognition within the Armenian Diaspora? In case you dont know what I mean by Sumgait:

The vigorous but mainly peaceful political activity in Karabakh and Yerevan was accompanied by a resumption of killings. On February 27, fanatical Azeri-Turks went on a three day rampage in Sumgait, a new industrial town 20 miles from Baku, murdering members of the town's large Armenian minority and destroying their property. According to the official Soviet account 32 died, but eyewitness reports strongly suggest the true figure runs into the hundreds. Marina Pogosyan, a young survivor of the Sumgait massacre, testified:

"On the twenty-sixth, a Friday, a friend of mine warned me to stay inside over the weekend. Still, I went to work - I taught in a nursery schood - and walked home at noon. That afternoon, there was another Azerbaijani rally, in downtown Sumgait, and then crowds of people went through the shopping area where Armenians worked, and broke windows and smashed things. I heard cries of 'Death to Armenians! Blood for blood!' It was mostly young people, and the police didn't stop thepn. Late that night, after we had gone to bed, we heard yelling on the street, and through the window I saw thousands of people in a mob marching through the street, most dressed in black, carrying clubs and Turkish flags with the half-moon. They were yelling, 'Get out! Armenians are killing our people and you're sitting here! We must purge our city! The next day, we went to a neighbor's in the building for. her birthday party. We talked about what we had seen, but we thought it was just young hooligans, fhen a neighbor boy came in, looking pale. We asked him what was happening, and he said: 'You don't know? They're killing and burning people out there, breaking into people's apartments.' We called the police, and they said: 'Stay where you are. You're not the only ones. We can't help you.' A Russian neighbor came to us and invited us to wait in her apartment. There were about three families with her - fifteen people. We spent the whole night there. The mob came and knocked on our door, and she went outside and told them that we were not there - that we'd moved a week ago. A few times after that, they passed by and broke into neighbors' apartments. By that time, no Armenians were home. So there were no killings (in her building-ed.), but there was a lot of destruction. They threw the chairs and the dishes out of the window. I had absolutely no hope that we'd survive. I figured they'd kill us all sooner or later. The mob came again, but on Monday soldiers came in tanks and took us to the Party committee building." (Cullen, 1991, pp. 66-7)

Marina Pogosyan and her family were allowed to collect money and a few possessions before being flown to Yerevan. Most of Sumgait's Armenian community survived the attacks. Many, like Miss Pogosyan, were sheltered by brave Russian and Azeri-Turk neighbours. But the fate of those who fell into the hands of the mob was cruel. Lola Avakyan, a 37-year-old Armenian resident of Sumgait was one of the unfortunate. Seized by an Azeri-Turk crowd, she was stripped and forced to dance before having her breasts slashed and body burned with cigarettes. She was raped and then killed. Several AzeriTurks were arrested and convicted for their involvement in the mayhem.

Sumgait postscript: On March 2, 1993, the Office of Azerbaijani Procurator announced that it had recommended that President Eichibey grant an amnesty to those convicted of violent offenses against Armenians during the Sumgait pogrom. The Procurator's Office reported that it expected the President to act according to its recommendation. On the same day, a proposal for the amnesty to be announced on May 28, 1993 - the 74th anniversary of the founding of the first Republic of Azerbaijan - was made in Azerbaijani parliament.

***My family is from Baku, and had to run because the same thing was starting to happen there. I have heard accounts from other Bakvahyes about how babies were being thrown against walls. Hundreds of people were killed. (in Sumgait and Baku both) Many more lost their homes and jobs because they had to run for their lives. Many lost contact with family and friends. (I just finished crying after reading that article)

Amazingly, most Armenians outside of the former Union dont even know about this.

I do... I do...

Honestly, I read about this like two weeks ago. I was reading somewhere about the 'khojaly genocide' of azeris (yeah the copy cats had to take the term 'genocide') by Armenians and that US Congressman from Indiana called for its recognition and that azerbaijanis gathered infront of the Armenian embassy in Washington like two weeks ago to condemn the Khojaly massacre, so I got interested. I never heard of khojaly before either. Then I did some 'research' lol, and guess what I found. The barbaric killigs in Sumgait that happened prior to the khojaly was the cause of the khojaly incident! Like you kill our people, we'll kill yours kinda thing! I was shocked to read about Sumgait myself, I never knew about it and we don't really talk about it much yet those azeris are making a huge deal of khojaly oh and by the way I later read that the Congressman from Indiana was paid to do that .

I suppose since we can't even get the real genocide recognized (so pathetic I know) we don't even bother with Sumgait. But yes, every Armenian, specially the ones like that 'kaf' person comming here complaining about our bad relations with our neighbors should know about this.

You're awesome! Thanks for bringing it up!!!

Comment

I posted this in another Armenian forum (last week)...

...in response to a Turk calling himself "Mr Truth" who was aledging that Armenians commited Genocide in Khojaly....

There has been a great deal of propaganda and misinformation from the Azeris concerning Khojaly in specific and Artsahk/NK in general. It would be laughable if it weren't for the fact that Armenians have generally done a very poor job countering these baseless acusations and once again (as in 1915) turning the blame on the victims. A chronology of this conflict clearly shows the Azeris initiating the violence and commiting massacre against Armenians. Eventually - of course - the pathetic Azeris gut their butts kicked by an undermanned and undersupplied Armenian opposition who were just more motivated (as it was their families and homes that were being theatened) as well as clearly being more capable soldiers. So all that is left for the Azeris to do is to whine about and attempt to twist the events of the war in a manner to disparage Armenians. Sorry Mr Untruth - but again the facts are not on your side. Certainly in any war - particualry one such as this where both sides had civilians in the vicinity - there will be civilian casualties and often atrocities - such is war. However the facts in Khojaly do not support that the Armenians commited such there at all - in fact the opposite - they gave ample warning and allowed for a corridor for civilians to escape. Luckily there are some websites out there which are supplying some very good information concerning the chronology and events surrounding the Khojaly incident (clearly demonstrating it as resulting from Azeri infighting and subsequent blame on the Armenians) - This becomes most clear when one considers the fact that after Armenians had captured Khojaly the Azeris were able to take reporters to the massacre site and show the bodies...well obviously this did not occur in territory held by the Armenians at all! - but in fact occured within Azeri held areas and then the dead were doctored up to show what the Azeri's wished to show - as is evidence by eyewitnesses who saw the corpses before and after. I am glad to see that this information is being brought to light - particualry since the Turks and Azeris are again using this incident and claiming genocide (laughable - they obviously lack understanding of the word...) - and are doing so now to attempt to foil commeration of the real Genocide - that commited 90 years ago by Turks in 1915!

Andrei Sakharov on the Sumgait Massacre of 1988:

more:

and check out this rather interesting and extensive bibliography:

This page gets called when the system can't find a page requested by the user.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmoBarbi
        Does anyone else think that Sumgait didnt get the appropriate recognition within the Armenian Diaspora? In case you dont know what I mean by Sumgait:

The vigorous but mainly peaceful political activity in Karabakh and Yerevan was accompanied by a resumption of killings. On February 27, fanatical Azeri-Turks went on a three day rampage in Sumgait, a new industrial town 20 miles from Baku, murdering members of the town's large Armenian minority and destroying their property. According to the official Soviet account 32 died, but eyewitness reports strongly suggest the true figure runs into the hundreds. Marina Pogosyan, a young survivor of the Sumgait massacre, testified:

"On the twenty-sixth, a Friday, a friend of mine warned me to stay inside over the weekend. Still, I went to work - I taught in a nursery schood - and walked home at noon. That afternoon, there was another Azerbaijani rally, in downtown Sumgait, and then crowds of people went through the shopping area where Armenians worked, and broke windows and smashed things. I heard cries of 'Death to Armenians! Blood for blood!' It was mostly young people, and the police didn't stop thepn. Late that night, after we had gone to bed, we heard yelling on the street, and through the window I saw thousands of people in a mob marching through the street, most dressed in black, carrying clubs and Turkish flags with the half-moon. They were yelling, 'Get out! Armenians are killing our people and you're sitting here! We must purge our city! The next day, we went to a neighbor's in the building for. her birthday party. We talked about what we had seen, but we thought it was just young hooligans, fhen a neighbor boy came in, looking pale. We asked him what was happening, and he said: 'You don't know? They're killing and burning people out there, breaking into people's apartments.' We called the police, and they said: 'Stay where you are. You're not the only ones. We can't help you.' A Russian neighbor came to us and invited us to wait in her apartment. There were about three families with her - fifteen people. We spent the whole night there. The mob came and knocked on our door, and she went outside and told them that we were not there - that we'd moved a week ago. A few times after that, they passed by and broke into neighbors' apartments. By that time, no Armenians were home. So there were no killings (in her building-ed.), but there was a lot of destruction. They threw the chairs and the dishes out of the window. I had absolutely no hope that we'd survive. I figured they'd kill us all sooner or later. The mob came again, but on Monday soldiers came in tanks and took us to the Party committee building." (Cullen, 1991, pp. 66-7)

Marina Pogosyan and her family were allowed to collect money and a few possessions before being flown to Yerevan. Most of Sumgait's Armenian community survived the attacks. Many, like Miss Pogosyan, were sheltered by brave Russian and Azeri-Turk neighbours. But the fate of those who fell into the hands of the mob was cruel. Lola Avakyan, a 37-year-old Armenian resident of Sumgait was one of the unfortunate. Seized by an Azeri-Turk crowd, she was stripped and forced to dance before having her breasts slashed and body burned with cigarettes. She was raped and then killed. Several AzeriTurks were arrested and convicted for their involvement in the mayhem.

Sumgait postscript: On March 2, 1993, the Office of Azerbaijani Procurator announced that it had recommended that President Eichibey grant an amnesty to those convicted of violent offenses against Armenians during the Sumgait pogrom. The Procurator's Office reported that it expected the President to act according to its recommendation. On the same day, a proposal for the amnesty to be announced on May 28, 1993 - the 74th anniversary of the founding of the first Republic of Azerbaijan - was made in Azerbaijani parliament.

***My family is from Baku, and had to run because the same thing was starting to happen there. I have heard accounts from other Bakvahyes about how babies were being thrown against walls. Hundreds of people were killed. (in Sumgait and Baku both) Many more lost their homes and jobs because they had to run for their lives. Many lost contact with family and friends. (I just finished crying after reading that article)

Amazingly, most Armenians outside of the former Union dont even know about this.
        thank u for posting this. i know very little about the sumgait and baku hapenings. it sounds alot like the nazi kristalnact.

Comment

Originally posted by CatWoman
          I do... I do...

Honestly, I read about this like two weeks ago. I was reading somewhere about the 'khojaly genocide' of azeris (yeah the copy cats had to take the term 'genocide') by Armenians and that US Congressman from Indiana called for its recognition and that azerbaijanis gathered infront of the Armenian embassy in Washington like two weeks ago to condemn the Khojaly massacre, so I got interested. I never heard of khojaly before either. Then I did some 'research' lol, and guess what I found. The barbaric killigs in Sumgait that happened prior to the khojaly was the cause of the khojaly incident! Like you kill our people, we'll kill yours kinda thing! I was shocked to read about Sumgait myself, I never knew about it and we don't really talk about it much yet those azeris are making a huge deal of khojaly oh and by the way I later read that the Congressman from Indiana was paid to do that .

I suppose since we can't even get the real genocide recognized (so pathetic I know) we don't even bother with Sumgait. But yes, every Armenian, specially the ones like that 'kaf' person comming here complaining about our bad relations with our neighbors should know about this.

You're awesome! Thanks for bringing it up!!!

i dont belive in killling for any cause but it was pure vengance that fuled it. the US congress should know that.

Comment

Blah balh, boo the turks, azeri or otherwise.

Barbi a lot of us know about Sumgait and baku, it was the anniversary last week or so I believe.

Comment

Yes, the "anniversary" was recently, although the event sadly wasn't just one day. Im glad that a lot of you, as you say, know about it. Where are you from?

I do believe in killing in certain situations (like defending your children or capital punishment for a dangerous criminal etc), but none of these attacks were done out of any reason besides political. The leaders had things to gain (as usual), and the mob was brainwashed into thinking it was good. There was no nobility in it.

I think that anyone who was involved in the behavior is a perverted psychopath and if there is a "Hell" then they deserve the worst it has to offer.

Comment

Me, I was born in Beirut, grew up in the valley.

Comment

I think a lot of people are still emotional about what happened in Sumgait...the more they talk about it the more horrible memories come up. My parents dont like to talk about it either...its a touchy subject. My dad sent my mom, sisters, and myself on "vacation" to Georgia after what had happened in Sumgait cause he was afraid the some thing would happen in Baku.

Comment

Originally posted by Inna
                    I think a lot of people are still emotional about what happened in Sumgait...the more they talk about it the more horrible memories come up. My parents dont like to talk about it either...its a touchy subject. My dad sent my mom, sisters, and myself on "vacation" to Georgia after what had happened in Sumgait cause he was afraid the some thing would happen in Baku.
                    Your dad was smart about it. Dont you wish that all families had left early on?

I know a woman who witnessed the first attack in Sumgait as a nurse who was called there to help the victims. She came right back to Baku and bought a ticket to Moscow. Everyone told her she is overreacting and nothing will happen etc.... The same people had to run for their lives a few months later. I am soooo glad I dont remember it myself.

Comment

Working...
                    X