Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Armenia: Future Projects and Developments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Armenia: Future Projects and Developments

Originally posted by Federate View Post
    I hope this doesn't turn into the next Burj Khalifa because Armenia needs investment in other areas more crucially than a resort.
    I agree and also disagree. But first what the hell is Burj Khalifa?

I agree that there are pressing social issues that should be taken care of ASAP. However, if this is a mostly private enterprise than they are free to spend their money as they wish, and from my understanding, it is mostly private. Furthermore, Armenia needs to develop into a tourist hub, as well as an IT, banking/finance, and healthcare hub. Also a possibility of energy hub if the oil refinary is built in Meghri. What we can not afford to do is business as usual, and I believe this project is a step in the right direction.
    For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
    to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

Burj Khalifa is the tallest man-made empty shell in the world. Dubai spent a billion-plus dollars on it, hyped it so much with incredible marketing and it was supposed to be a huge success, especially in a city like Dubai where multimillionaires are everywhere. A year after its completion, 850 appartments out of 900 remain empty.

I guess I don't oppose it if it's a majority private investment even though I still would rather see diasporans invest in other sectors. Seems construction and hotels are all that is getting investment these days and we're becoming too reliant on it as evidenced by the double digit downturn of the last year of our fragile economy. BTW, is the lake already made or are they just starting? The government needs to oversee the project and make sure there is no evironmental damage from this ambitious endeavour. It is not everyday man-made lakes are propped up without environmental consequences.
      Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

The blockade is preventing other sectors of the economy from developing. Unless a breakthrough is made with the turks i think we will be looking south to Iran for economic opportunitites.
        Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Hey guys your opinions on actual Armenian business are great, but how about we leave them for the Armenia's Economic Pulse thread? This threads more for pictures of things that could be in the works or under construction, not about what Armenia should be spending the money on instead.

Also for those of you who live in Armenia, or were just there or will be visiting there, if you have any pics of new buildings or construction, those would be great

As for the "Lakeside Resorts" I do think it will get done, just maybe not on time. The man made reservoir was something that was already started but went into hiatus after we left the USSR , so that part shouldn't take to long. Also I think the majority of the project such as the two hotels shown in the picture will be done on time (2014) specifically b/c MGM is a major investor, but that most likely the 5 hotels across the reservoir won't. Even with the proper funding, somehow I think that during winter every year the construction will slow down if not stop all together for short periods

Plans for the Cascades

I believe construction on these have already begun though I think they're in the very early stages
          Last edited by ara87; 02-17-2011, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
            The blockade is preventing other sectors of the economy from developing. Unless a breakthrough is made with the turks i think we will be looking south to Iran for economic opportunitites.
            I rather us trade with Iran than Turks. I'm afraid with open borders Turks/Kurds will fill Armenia, we don't need any of them in our country.
            Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
            ---
            "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Originally posted by ara87 View Post
              Hey guys your opinions on actual Armenian business are great, but how about we leave them for the Armenia's Economic Pulse thread? This threads more for pictures of things that could be in the works or under construction, not about what Armenia should be spending the money on instead.

Also for those of you who live in Armenia, or were just there or will be visiting there, if you have any pics of new buildings or construction, those would be great

As for the "Lakeside Resorts" I do think it will get done, just maybe not on time. The man made reservoir was something that was already started but went into hiatus after we left the USSR , so that part shouldn't take to long. Also I think the majority of the project such as the two hotels shown in the picture will be done on time (2014) specifically b/c MGM is a major investor, but that most likely the 5 hotels across the reservoir won't. Even with the proper funding, somehow I think that during winter every year the construction will slow down if not stop all together for short periods

Plans for the Cascades

I believe construction on these have already begun though I think they're in the very early stages

I'd like to know if MGM is still involved or ever was. MGM had a made couple of years, their much touted CityCenter in Las Vegas has been a failure so far and as some of you may know, it cost about $15 billion to construct, with MGM having a 55% share of the project.

As for the Cascade project. I really don't like how much the new buildings would differ from the existing architecture. I think a more neo classical design would look much better.
              For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated

Comment

Originally posted by Armanen View Post
                As for the Cascade project. I really don't like how much the new buildings would differ from the existing architecture. I think a more neo classical design would look much better.
                I agree. In fact, Tblisi's done a much better job at this than we have... :-/

Comment

Originally posted by Federate View Post
                  I agree. In fact, Tblisi's done a much better job at this than we have... :-/
                  And I again don´t agree with you both. The important part is that hopefully this project will be implemented, regardless of people´s personal tastes. And how can `Tbilisi´ do it better than private initiatives in Yerevan?
                  Last edited by Tigranakert; 02-18-2011, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tigranakert View Post
                    And I again don´t agree with you both. The important part is that hopefully this project will be implemented, regardless of people´s personal tastes. And how can `Tbilisi´ do it better than private initiatives in Yerevan?
                    In terms of neo classical architecture.

Comment

I didn't say I don't want the project to not be done if it looks like crap, just that I think a style that fits into the current atmosphere would be nicer visually.

Comment

Working...
                      X