Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Another lovely oh so positive article on Armenia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another lovely oh so positive article on Armenia

What a TERRIBLE article! I can't understand this person's uber-pessimistic and/or anti-Armenian tone. Here are some choice quotes (first is an explanation and refuting of it by me, followed by in quote marks quotations from the article):

1. This makes it seem like NK is all Armenians fault. It also makes us all seem like crazed nationalist freaks beyond all reason. Of course we won't negotiate "seriously" with the "serious" things thrown at us by Azerbaijan, since they are mostly along the lines of since you won Armenia, we think a good solution would be for you to totally surrender all of Karabakh to us and we will give it "a measure of autonomy". If that's being rational I know I don't want to be.

"Armenia has refused to negotiate down from this untenable geopolitical
    position. After winning the Nogorno-Karabakh war, Armenian leaders --
    backed by a fiery nationalism that is quite popular among Armenians
    within both the country and the diaspora -- have refused to seriously
    negotiate a peace agreement with Azerbaijan that might end the
    military standoff."

2. Look at this skepticism! "If you believe Yerevan's public relations?!" What the hell, it's well known that volunteers like Monte came from all over to help in the war.

"Armenia became embroiled in a war with Azerbaijan over
    the fate of Nogorno-Karabakh, a majority Armenian enclave within
    Azerbaijani territory. Armenia -- or if you believe Yerevan's public
    relations, Armenian volunteers supporting the Karabakh Armenians --
    won the war and continues to control a large western slice of
    Azerbaijani territory contingent to it."

3. I am not even going to comment on the following faulty and horrible line.

"To be fair, the Azerbaijanis have not exactly been extending olive
    branches either, but Baku believes that ultimately its oil and natural
    gas revenues will allow it to build up a military force capable of
    recapturing its lost territory. It likely is correct."

4. And of course here's the last line to this rosy feel-good article of the year:

"Winds of change are blowing in Armenia; it is not clear whether
    Armenia will survive them."

This just in, minimal research on the company that wrote this article has revealed that it is an oil-slicked company based in Austin, Texas that has been accused of lying on other countries as well. It's no surprise that something under the sway of the oil companies would write such a callous article attacking Armenia while glorifying Azerbaijan. I was also suspicious why such a "world-respected company" would declared all of Georgia and Azerbaijan's problems solved by the building of the Baku-Ceyhan pipeline, which hasn't even been finished yet. Not only that, but it scolded Armenia for "missing its chance" to get involved with the BC pipeline. As if Armenia was able to get involved without giving up its very viability as a state (a.k.a. pandering to Turkey and Azer. and do whatever they wanted). It's apparant though now why this article is so anti-Armenian, it's a mouthpiece for those in the oil industry. Don't they wish Armenia's position was this hopeless. I'm not saying Armenia is in great shape, but the way this article was talking we can expect the overrunning and conquering of Armenia within the next year or two. It also said how Armenia has no hope on the genocide issue but by sticking to it is only speeding up the country's demise, conveniently not mentioning the EU and its wanting Turkey to recognize it.

Comment

Stupid article. No author name. I'm guessing it ends in "oglu" or in case it ends with a "yev", it starts with "Ahmed". Sheer propaganda. Luckily it hasn't been published in any major newspapers or even websites (had never heard of stratfor.com)

Comment

Eh, your second post just confirmed my (and your) skepticism. Ridiculous stuff..

Comment

The more I read about STRATFOR, the more worried I get about them. They seem like real shady and powerful folks. Read this article on an Armenian website I found about Stratfor written earlier in the year, way before this piece of crap article came out. It seems like the Pentagon and STRATFOR are attempting to single-handedly take over Armenia. I don't like this at all...

Comment

Well, as I mentioned in the "war in Iraq" thread, the Pentagon right now has no choice but to stay out of Armenian internal politics, because Demirchyan's opposition (which I suspected the U.S. might support) has now lost all chances of gaining U.S. support. Yes, the government will be trying to please the U.S., but they can now breathe a little easier. As for the U.S. presence in the region, I don't see how it is any stronger in Armenia than it would be in Georgia, for example.

Comment

I don't see why the world doens't want to recognize Nagarno Karabagh as part of Armenia. Armenia won it over, fair and square, period...A war was declared and Armenia won, bottom line. Azeries shouldn't even be whining about it. Israel, the US, etc...they can all do what Armenia did and yet they don't recognize it? Nagarno-Karabagh has some of the best soil you can find in that region and Armenia needs it for a stable economy. Atleast the Azeries have access to a large body of water. So as far as I know, they can shut the xxxx up and deal with their loss. And shouldn't Armenia be more conserned with defending the Karabagh front? Anyone have some info on the Armenian defenses at Karabagh?

Comment

I think the more this status-quo lasts, the more the Armenian victory will be irreversible.

Nobody can possibly justify putting all those Armenians in Artsakh under the jurisdiction of Azerbaidjan. There is absolutely no logic there, especially considering the fact that the residents of Artsakh have built a society that is more democratic than the one in Azerbaidjan.

Comment

Yea, what a terrible article no different than Susan Sach's bromide of the NYTimes.
                  Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Dants
                    Well, as I mentioned in the "war in Iraq" thread, the Pentagon right now has no choice but to stay out of Armenian internal politics, because Demirchyan's opposition (which I suspected the U.S. might support) has now lost all chances of gaining U.S. support. Yes, the government will be trying to please the U.S., but they can now breathe a little easier. As for the U.S. presence in the region, I don't see how it is any stronger in Armenia than it would be in Georgia, for example.

Sir, when you are the first to say something needs doing.... who is your greatest ally???

just a moment for thought...

Comment

Working...
                    X