Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Armenia's Economic Pulse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Armenia's Economic Pulse

Originally posted by Federate View Post
    Hopefully it's self-sufficiency.
    Yeh it could but given the economic climate i dought it. More probable is the "cant afford to buy as much as we used to" scenerio.
    Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

@#$%^&*)^%$#(&%#!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      ---------------------------------------------------
      Spring shopping: Armenia is on sale

German parliamentarians gave a wonderful idea to the Greek government. Members of the Bundestag offered that the Greeks sell their islands and other property to rescue the economy and pay off huge foreign debts. Outwardly abusive, the idea is actually pragmatic. The country's incompetent leadership threatens not only its present and future, but the entire EU, with a common currency. Being at fault, they should also pay off the debts.

Besides being pragmatic, it can also set a precedent. As in the case of a bankrupt company, property of a bankrupt state must also be put up for sale. Greece proposed to take this step first and foremost by setting a precedent for other indebted countries.

For example, Armenia can do this since its external debt reached 45 percent of its GDP and is not going to decrease soon. Armenians have almost nowhere to obtain foreign aid because in order to borrow, first you must return your old debts. Old sources have been exhausted or irritated. There are no new sources. Quackery with Turkey failed. One can invest in the economy of this country only feeling a sense of pity. So, there is a need to put the junk on sale.

Of course, there is nothing special to sell, but taking into account the specific relations with Armenia, we would turn a blind eye to the many flaws and would make a shopping.

I would recommend potential Azerbaijani buyers purchase Armenia's border with Iran first of all. The land is barren and devoid of natural resources. It is also paltry. It is even nothing from a geographical viewpoint. So, it will enable to establish direct contact with Nakhchivan and provide a direct access to Turkey.

Lake Sevan attracts attention next. I was on the shore of the reservoir 5-6 years ago. Sevan has become so shallow that very few Sevan trouts have survived. Infrastructure was poor. I cannot comment on the current state of the tourist center. But I do not think things have changed there. However, it was once Azerbaijani land, and the U.N. Charter must be respected. And don’t we buy what is our own when we want to start or enhance a business?

The Tsakhkadzor winter resort is third. Again, a few years ago I was there and was disappointed at the state of the facility. Everthing was dilapidated and the service was bad. Tsakhkadzor needs urgent readjustment. Investments would pay off well with proper management. Fortunately, the place is known since the Soviet times. Nostalgic tourist will certainly travel there.

Let’s not forget about Dilijan, which has the best water in the world second after San Francisco. I was just passing it, so I cannot describe everything in detail. I think that the investment will certainly recompense.

Shashlichnaya Street in Yerevan is not also a bad place. They cook well in restaurants located on this street. In addition, they also cook Azerbaijani dishes here. Kitchen of Armenians is full of plagiarism, so there will be no adaptation problems.

These are the only all lucrative things that Armenia has. But we do not buy all for the profit. We need to think about regional security, culture and art, too. So, the next lot is Metsamor nuclear power station. There is a need to buy this plant in order to close it. It's a bomb threatening the entire South Caucasus and the surrounding area. Let's do what international organizations can not – to get rid of the potential threat of explosion.

Matenadaran with the Genocide History Museum comprise a package lot. It is impossible to earn from them, because potential customers have long been notified of falsity, but scientists and historians from Turkey and Azerbaijan can well be employed here. We can dismiss all the current staff and hire experts who will be able to tell only truth.

Theater Square in Yerevan is a good facility, too. We can hand it over to the Iravan Dramatic Theater. And the Azerbaijani opposition can be given permission to stage protests here on weekends. The place is clearly far from the center of Baku, so the opposition will not interfere with the everyday life of residents of our capital.

I tried hard to enlarge the list, but it did not work. After all, Armenia is an uninteresting, poor country. If you still find something attractive, please, I promise to evaluate its suitability.

Kanan Guluzade/Day.Az

Comment

Originally posted by Muhaha View Post
        @#$%^&*)^%$#(&%#!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.historyoftruth.com/news/l...nia-is-on-sale
        Cute
        "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

I think we should respond in kind by making a list of worthy azeri assets we will be taking (not buying) very soon.
          Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

ARMENIAN AUTHORITIES OUT OF TOUCH WITH REALITY: VAHAGN KHACHATRYAN

Tert.am
            16:35 ~U 11.03.10

At a press conference today, Vahagn Khachatryan, a representative of
            the Armenian National Congress (ANC) committee on economic affairs,
            referred to a recent statement by the parliamentary Standing Committee
            on Social Affairs chair Hakob Hakobyan that the rise in gas tariff
            will not affect the household income of marginalized groups in society.

"He [Hakobyan] must have studied or read new economic theories. This
            is proof for me that in terms of economy, the authorities are out of
            touch with reality. It became clear for me that the authorities were
            not ready for such a reaction otherwise they would have brought more
            well-founded reasons why the gas price will increase from April 1,"
            explained Khachatryan.

He also mentioned that two days ago he had been to Gyumri and had
            noticed that the new gas tariff is set to become a serious problem
            for them.

"Together with his team of deputies, Hakob Hakobyan must go, enter
            the houses, see and understand what is [in fact] happening there,"
            said Khachatryan, saying that Hakobyan could also go to his hometown
            of Martuni and see what the situation is like there.

In reference to ANC's initiative to appeal the ruling by the Public
            Services Regulatory Commission of the Republic of Armenia to raise
            the gas price, Khachatryan said that citizens are actively joining
            in not only in Yerevan, but also in Gymri.

I dont get these ANC people Like its not a tariff-the armenian government has nothing to do with it, its russia raising the price after for decades discounting it a lot for us. Sure it has real effect on people but the government has nothing to do with it. Sometimes i wonder what the folks at the ANC are smoking, with all the money they get hell atleast buy the good stuff.
            Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

How can anybody be childish, stupid, and ridiculous at the same time and spark a sense of pride and total security about his claims? Oh, he is an Azeri...

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
              I dont get these ANC people Like its not a tariff-the armenian government has nothing to do with it, its russia raising the price after for decades discounting it a lot for us. Sure it has real effect on people but the government has nothing to do with it. Sometimes i wonder what the folks at the ANC are smoking, with all the money they get hell atleast buy the good stuff.
              It's actually funny to hear them speak, according to them everything, every single thing happening is the government's fault. I am waiting for the day when they blame the government for the sky not being blue enough...

Comment

YBC brandy production decreased by 36%

14.03.2010 17:10 GMT+04:00

/PanARMENIAN.Net/ Due to the global financial crisis, the Yerevan
                Brandy Company (YBC) has reduced brandy production by 36%.

`Nevertheless, we are hopeful that we will be able to regain the 2007
                index by 2012,' YBC Executive Director Ara Grigoryan said at a news
                conference in Berd, a town in Tavush region of Armenia.

He also said the company did not succeed in diversification or in
                search of new markets in 2009 but it will work to reduce dependence on
                Russia's market in the future.

YBC Production Director Philippe Thibaud said for his part that
                Armenian brandy is competitive at the international market. `The
                peculiarities of Armenian brandy are the sorts of grapes, soil and
                climate,' he said.
                Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

WHY ARE ARMENIAN WINES NOT COMPETITIVE IN THE GLOBAL MARKET?

Tert.am
                  18:47 ~U 17.03.10

Armenia cannot produce wines that will meet international standards
                  as there are no high-quality species of grape in Armenia, Winemakers'
                  Union of Armenia President Avag Harutyunyan said at a press conference
                  today.

According to Avagyan, usually it takes a long time to solve this type
                  of problem, and even if a solution is found, it will take about 25
                  years to have high-quality grapes.

"We do not have thousands of hectares of land that yield good-quality
                  grapes; we have only 500-600 hectares. While our partners overseas
                  constantly require high-quality produce," said Harutyunyan.

In his words, the next challenge the winemaking sector is facing
                  now is related to a disease called filoksera winiec that was found
                  in Armavir marz (province) last year and that must be fought against
                  at a state level.

"A special body must be created which will do all the work to fight
                  against this disease. Otherwise, we will have serious problems,"
                  said he.

Harutyunyan also complained about the state in which the winemaking
                  equipments are now, adding their average age has reached 50 years,
                  when they should be substituted by new ones once in every 10-15 years.

Winemakers' Union of Armenia has on numerous occasions turned to the
                  RA Ministry of Agriculture so that whenever the ministry proposes
                  programs to international bodies, it must also include improvements
                  in the winemaking sector.

"It will make it possible to develop the sector through grants but
                  the Ministry of Agriculture says it has more serious problems [than
                  that]," concluded Harutunyan.

I dont know about you guys but i like Areni and Vernashen wines. They are taistier then most california wines i have tried and pretty cheap to. Hard to believe they cant compete.
                  Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Azeri Govt. = Leaders of personality cult

The more you are up the leaders ass, the more money you get. Now that's real economics.

Just wait for the oil to run out, he will leave the country like the Shah did in Iran (when things got tough); with the country's money.

Comment

Kocharian Criticizes Armenian Government

Ruzanna Stepanian

In remarks that will fuel more speculation about his desire to return to power, former President Robert Kocharian on Tuesday criticized economic policies pursued by Armenia’s current government.

In an interview with the Mediamax news agency, Kocharian specifically attacked the government’s response to the global financial crisis that has hit the country hard. He effectively accused the authorities of squandering an “ideal macroeconomic situation” which he said they had inherited from his administration.

“True, economic crises take place from time to time,” said Kocharian. “One should be mindful of and prepare for that during good years. But not by restraining economic development but by accumulating reserves, cutting the state debt and budget deficit, diversifying trade and so on. And that’s what we did.”

Kocharian argued that during his 1998-2008 rule the Armenian economy grew by over 10 percent per annum while the external debt and budget deficit steadily decreased as a share of Gross Domestic Product. He dismissed a widely held belief that the economy contracted sharply in 2009 because it had grown excessively dependent on a construction boom, a key driving force of the robust growth.

Kocharian claimed that there is still “huge” domestic demand for apartments and office space and that the government of President Serzh Sarkisian could have used it for mitigating the impact of the global recession. “We should consolidate efforts to maintain housing demand,” he told Mediamax. “There are many ways of doing that. I think the government now understands that.”

“It was extremely important to start that in advance, when the crisis was only beginning to move towards Armenia,” he added in a jibe at the government.

Representatives of Sarkisian’s Republican Party of Armenia (HHK) declined to immediately comment on the extraordinary criticism, while a leading member of the main opposition Armenian National Congress (HAK) scoffed at it. “Not a single fact [cited by the ex-president] corresponds to reality,” former Prime Minister Hrant Bagratian told RFE/RL’s Armenian service.

Bagratian claimed that the Kocharian administration inflated economic growth rates and artificially stimulated the construction sector for “personal gain.” He said the construction boom benefited only the wealthiest Armenians and eventually turned out to be a bubble.

The HAK has remained Kocharian’s most bitter detractor even after he handed over power to Sarkisian in April 2008. Newspapers supporting the opposition alliance have since regularly speculated about his impending return to active politics. Some of them claimed recently that Kocharian has demanded that Sarkisian appoint him as prime minister.

In remarks that will fuel more speculation about his desire to return to power, former President Robert Kocharian on Tuesday criticized economic policies pursued by Armenia’s current government.
                      Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

Working...
                      X