Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Armenia and the information war

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Armenia and the information war

Originally posted by Vrej1915 View Post
    Second option:
    You are so proud of your oil Bonanza, your billions, you even spent 5 million to make repairs in a park of Mexico (to have permission for a Haydar Khan statue... now fate well known).
    How comes your 'refugees" live in bad poor conditions after 25 years...???
    Could't you spent those 5 million to offer palace quality datchas to 50 poor refugee families???

( you can buy a Datcha for 100.000 in world famous health resort center known as Gabala (alias Armenian district of Gudgashen)....)
    Thank you very much
    What does RAA refer to?

Comment

Second option:
      You are so proud of your oil Bonanza, your billions, you even spent 5 million to make repairs in a park of Mexico (to have permission for a Haydar Khan statue... now fate well known).
      How comes your 'refugees" live in bad poor conditions after 25 years...???
      Could't you spent those 5 million to offer palace quality datchas to 50 poor refugee families???

( you can buy a Datcha for 100.000 in world famous health resort center known as Gabala (alias Armenian district of Gudgashen)....)
      Thought Vrej and others had good suggestions . An honest historicle understanding can produce countless more .
      Recently met a husband / wife couple from Mexico city .
      I asked if they were familiar with baboon statue and gifted baboon money .
      They told me the general population ( Mexico city ) became aware that the statue was honoring a " BAD " guy and was taken down quietly ( politicle reasons on quietness ) by popular resentment ( demand ) .
      Artashes

Comment

Originally posted by Mher View Post
        Thank you very much
        What does RAA refer to?

that's Samvel Karabedian's organisation.
        NB: Do not confond with famous Askeran commander with same name.

Comment

They told me the general population ( Mexico city ) became aware that the statue was honoring a " BAD " guy and was taken down quietly ( politicle reasons on quietness ) by popular resentment ( demand ) .
          This is what we need to tap into. We have for too long tried to talk with the politico types, and obviously politico types are not honest people. We need to take our message to the street! There is nothing wrong with Mexican people, somehow they found out about this stupid statue in their city, obviously a deal struck between politico types without regard to the people. As if Mexico does not have enough great people to have a statue of, they ran out of people and needed a 3rd world dictators statue? The people of Mexico did more then any of the politico structures would have done. This to me is a humble lessen we should learn, especially for Mher perhaps it is better to engage the students instead of asking a political person question in a forum that was politically motivated. If the people of Mexico can be sighted as an example then the student body can fill in, instead of having one Armenian brother go up against the political establishment and expect justice.

Now guys don't get me wrong here, I applaud all of you in this thread and this goal of facing injustice. This is my opinion please consider what I am saying, perhaps the victories we seek in the political realm have to be reconsidered and the social realm is where we need to achieve our aims. Who can stand seeing starving kids? Who cares if the kids are from Sudan, Cambodia, or mutilated Armenian babies, there is no real social human that can look at these pictures with any sense of comfort, yet the politico types have no problems in putting statues of dictator in their capital city. We are asking for mercy from corrupt entities and we are still here today expecting justice from filthy bastards. The Armenians did not get the statue removed it was the good people of Mexico that got this done. We should consider the value of other good peoples everyplace. Perhaps we might get justice one day.

I share this goal too, just saying maybe we need to learn this lessen and approach this from another angle that might bare more fruit.

Getze Hayastan!
          Last edited by Vahram; 03-06-2013, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mher View Post
            That is a lot of great information to get me started with, I appreciate it guys
            I'll get started with this, and I should be able to take it from here
            though even more material will be nice

One day to construct from scratch a defense against an enemy! Given that the enemy's strategy and weapons in this offensive are ALWAYS the same, and that they ALL just fire blanks, it shouldn't be that difficult to put together an off-the-shelf response, or that difficult to realise the advantages in having such a response prepared long in advance.

I just hope that those in the trenches in Artsakh are better prepared.
            Last edited by bell-the-cat; 03-07-2013, 08:58 AM.
            Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
              One day to construct from scratch a defense against an enemy! Given that the enemy's strategy and weapons in this offensive is ALWAYS the same, and that they ALL just fire blanks, it shouldn't be that difficult to put together an off-the shelf response, or that difficult to realise the advantages in having such a response prepared long in advance.

I just hope that those in the trenches in Artsakh are better prepared.
              In my opinion, and probably of many other people, the defense budget goes into the pockets of azeri govt officials. Every now and then they buy new equipment to show that they are spending money but majority goes into their pockets. They've been claiming they can take over Artsakh in a week and even get to Yerevan but for some reason they have decided not to. They keep threatening resumption of war since the ceasefire. Now their deputy prime minister, ali hanasov, claims they have not attacked because they are going to fight the Russians in Artsakh, not the Armenians.
              “President Ilham Aliyev has always promised a military solution to the [Nagorno-Karabakh] conflict and he still has the issue on the agenda. The option of a military solution is always on the table, but the most important thing is how this kind of operation will be carried out. We need to become much stronger so that if we become involved in combat in Nagorno-Karabakh we can stand up to Russian troops, because that is who we will have to face. Did Armenia occupy our territories? Do you think Armenia's power is sufficient for that?” asked Hasanov....

Recalling his home city, which is also in the occupied territories of Azerbaijan, Hasanov said the occupation was accomplished with the military support of Russia. “I saw Russian soldiers get out of tanks and celebrate their victory with champagne.”

Comment

http://www.raa-am.com/

that's Samvel Karabedian's organisation.
                NB: Do not confond with famous Askeran commander with same name.
                That's Karapetian.

Also, we shouldn't mix up Argam Ayvaziyan with that nut-case pseudo-historian Armen Ayvaziyan.

There are many more Muslim monuments in Nagorno Karabakh than just 4 mosques, and they seem to all be in relatively good condition - see the RAA pdf publication that SHOULD have been titled "The Islamic Monuments of the Architecture of Artsakh" but which was rendered into appearing to be a propaganda work thanks to its actual title.

And nobody sends me anywhere.
                Last edited by bell-the-cat; 03-07-2013, 09:22 AM.
                Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

I think the Gomidas Institute or Zoryan Institute should translate this scholar's work into English. But it should be done professionally. There is a book called The Invention of History by Ruben Galichian that also focuses on Azerbaijani hysteriagraphy but it was either poorly translated or poorly edited. Some of the sentences are almost as difficult to understand as Artashes' posts.

VICTOR SHNIRELMAN: WHY TO ATTRIBUTE THE DOMINANT VIEWS IN AZERBAIJAN TO THE "WORLD SCIENCE"?

16:55 06/03/2013 Â" REGION

Chief scientific researcher in the Institute of Ethnology and
                  Anthropology in the Russian Academy of Sciences, Doctor of Historical
                  Sciences Victor Shnirelman responded to the publications of Azerbaijani
                  authors, who had earlier criticized his book The Wars of Memory: Myths,
                  Identity and Politics in the South Caucasus (Moscow, 2003). Ð~XÐ~P
                  REGNUM publishes the article by Victor Shnirelman with his consent.

In February 2009 the administration of the National Academy of
                  Sciences of Azerbaijan (NASA) together with the directors of a
                  number of academic institutions convened a session devoted to my
                  book Wars of Memory. It is hard not to notice that NASA needed
                  about six years to get familiarized with the book and to hold its
                  discussion. At the same time the task of giving it a "worthy rebuff"
                  was assigned to philosopher Zumrud Kulizade: apparently no historians
                  knowledgeable in the subject under discussion were left in Azerbaijan;
                  or maybe they were not qualified enough for such a responsible task
                  (or rather it is more simple than that - the historians understand
                  quite well what my book is talking about). For that reason they chose
                  an elderly woman with life wisdom who (unlike of course my naïve self)
                  knows well about the "politicization of the historical science" and
                  "the manipulation of public opinion by historiographers". Apparently
                  the choice of the academic authorities was influenced by the fact
                  that having possessed such sacral knowledge, this chosen candidate
                  had refrained from discussing this question both in Soviet times,
                  when it could have had serious consequences, and in post-Soviet times,
                  when it became possible.

It is noteworthy that in her extensive critical essay the philosopher
                  carefully bypasses the question of politicization of the historical
                  science in Azerbaijan. Apparently Azerbaijan is the only state that
                  serves as a unique example of devotion to authentic science and the
                  lack of "manipulation of the public opinion"; apparently this is the
                  only state in which there is no "reanimation of memory concerning
                  historical offenses and wars", which allows the philosopher to
                  furiously attack the "foreigner" who dared to doubt this. The
                  dear critic does not dispute my statement on that the ideology of
                  ethno-political conflicts can't but appeal to the past. However, her
                  "philosophical erudition" does not allow her to conclude that it is
                  exactly for this reason that the analysis of this kind of conflicts
                  cannot ignore the images of the past created by local intellectuals.

Moreover, she does her best to present the attempt of a scientific
                  analysis of the conflict as its "inflation". Aren't the ethno-political
                  conflicts normally so protracted because of the fact that the local
                  intellectuals refuse point blank to make a deep and comprehensive
                  analysis of these conflicts? Instead of making an effort to figure
                  out the problem of the "social memory", the philosopher, quite in line
                  with the Soviet style, distorts my words and ideas in the most absurd
                  manner and ascribes to me those which I have never shared. Indeed,
                  it turns out to be much easier to refute these ideas since the
                  philosopher refuses to actually polemicize the main ideas that make
                  up the core of my book; here is where the Soviet training comes to
                  help - to speak without saying anything essential.

Like many other critics the Azerbaijani philosopher accuses me of
                  an "incorrect interpretation of the history of Azerbaijan". But in
                  my books devoted to the "historical memory" there isn't and there
                  couldn't be any claim of writing the history of the Caucasian nations
                  and their culture. The question under discussion is the images of the
                  past constructed by various intellectuals in this or that historical
                  period as well as the link between these images and the ethno-political
                  context, including the Soviet national politics.

However, the philosopher, who mentions the names of such renowned
                  authorities as Halbwachs and Werth did not understand this: apparently
                  she knows the works of these authors only by name. It looks like she
                  hasn't bothered to read my book either; after all, even the titles
                  of separate chapters of my book are not correctly quoted in her review.

Where and when did I insist that the history of the Caucasus is that
                  of endless wars and genocides? Where did I write about "the nations
                  of the given region being psychologically encoded for mutual hatred"
                  or about the perpetuity of ethnic wars on the Caucasus? Where did I
                  claim that the "Azerbaijani Turks must be subjected to genocide"? How
                  exactly is my "negative attitude towards Islam" manifested? And where
                  do I "present to the reader the past and the present of Azerbaijan
                  and the Azerbaijanis as a historical nuisance" (unfortunately the
                  philosopher stays ignorant of the contemporary research on ethnicity;
                  she is hopelessly confused in the understanding of primordial and
                  constructivist approaches)? All these are but baseless assertions of
                  the philosopher who has done everything to avoid discussing the most
                  important and key problems that are raised in my book. In particular
                  I would like to ask her why during the 20th century the Azerbaijani
                  scholars changed the image of their ancestors for five times. This
                  question is discussed in detail in the book, but the philosopher
                  considers this issue unworthy of her attention; she simply does not
                  notice it.

Instead, she devotes the bulk of her review to groundlessly accusing
                  me in "unprofessionalism" and in "falsifications". It remains quite
                  unclear what the massive quotes from medieval authors, which she
                  quotes without commenting, have to do with my book (by the way it
                  looks like the philosopher is not aware of such science as Source
                  Studies and the problem of the critique of written sources remains
                  a grave mystery for her). After all they do not throw any light
                  whatsoever upon the questions which I dedicated my book to. I would
                  also like to know who among the multiple medieval authors quoted by
                  the philosopher called himself an "Azerbaijani". And why, speaking
                  of "historical compositions... published in Russian and Azerbaijani
                  languages in the 30s and in the subsequent years of the 20th century"
                  the author refers solely to the works written at the beginning of
                  the 20s? It looks as if this kind of "imprecision" is typical to the
                  philosopher's knowledge of history in general. That is why in her
                  understanding the Oghuzes lived either at the turn of our era or "many
                  thousand years ago". She is apparently not concerned with the problem
                  of strict chronology that lies at the basis of the historical science.

Doesn't this disorient the same audience which my dear critic is so
                  concerned about?

Read the rest here: http://www.panorama.am/en/politics/2...06/shnirelman/

Comment

NB: Samvel Karabetian of Askeran is better known by his war nickname, as 'Ako'

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
                    That's Karapetian.

Also, we shouldn't mix up Argam Ayvaziyan with that nut-case pseudo-historian Armen Ayvaziyan.

There are many more Muslim monuments in Nagorno Karabakh than just 4 mosques, and they seem to all be in relatively good condition - see the RAA pdf publication that SHOULD have been titled "The Islamic Monuments of the Architecture of Artsakh" but which was rendered into appearing to be a propaganda work thanks to its actual title.

And nobody sends me anywhere.
                    The 4 mosques mentioned are main NON Armenian, that is Persian style, evidently Foreign monuments one can see.
                    The 'Gyumbazes' that you mention are not foreign made, they are evidently armenian style, and armenian "stamped", and the PDF document you mention just proves that..
                    Once I used to pass twice a day, next 2 of those 'Gyumbazes' of Vanotza mentioned, between the village of Gornitzor (Goris District RA), and Dzaghkapert (Kashatagh Distr, NKR), for months... never having time to have a close look. I never felt a stranger presence, or discomfort, as I feel in front of Shushi Mosques.
                    Shushi mosques are evidently NON Armenian with their minarets, etc...

Contrary to those, the mosoleums where ordered or paid for by nomads, but made by Armenian villagers of the regions.
                    They are so similar to the armenian chapels, and monasteries all around the same hills.
                    I had to stop by, to notice the arabic inscriptions, that do look like artificial or strange, as much they do not coincide with the general armenian style of the monument.
                    Same goes with the Karavanadoun of Varanta.
                    Samvel did not show the signatures of the actual builders in the stones.... But I have seen Armenian inscriptions (name of builders, just like in any Armenian church). Look at the arches !! They are typical Armenian Arches... The case of the Karvanadoun is limpid.
                    So goes for the "mosque" of Abdal/Vazkenashen...
                    In Artzakh, the look of the arches is very characteristic and easy to identify, when labeling something of Armenian or Muslim architecture...(Persian, Kurd, Turk or Tatar...). And this goes with civilian buildings too. Tatar/Azeri civilian buildings can not be confused with Armenian ones in Shushi, or in the villages all over NKR.
                    For me, those monuments are part of Armenian heritage, even if they testify of bad times, when we were forced to live or tolerate foreign Yoke...

Similarly, some Armenian churches of the Diaspora, specially in small communities, where they did not have the resources or the capacity to build according traditions, or adapted other nations buildings, or used non Armenian handcraft, manpower, can not be considered as Armenian monuments, Armenian heritage... even they belong to Armenian communities, and whorshiping goes on according tradition...

Conclusion: Those monuments built in the XIV cent, by Armenian villagers, builders, for nomad chiefs of those periods, of islamic faith, have no link to actual tatars/ azeris since those people came to NKR only after Shah Abass forced ethnic purification... And at that time, no one heard of a specific 'nation' North of the Arax river. For me, if someone has a right on those, that's Armenians, as a symbol of occupation.
                    Just like the french can claim the heritage of Atlantic wall , as symbol of Nazi occupation, if you wish...
                    Last edited by Vrej1915; 03-07-2013, 05:08 PM.

Comment

A good piece of misinformation, azeri style refurbished via russian media:
                      - Bartolone never condemned the "beating of the tatars", he condemned the violence as a such, and asked for an investigation
                      - The ceremony was a comemoration of Sumgait Pogroms, not a conference on the conflict...

-------
                      FRENCH NATIONAL ASSEMBLY'S CHAIR CONDEMNS VIOLENCE AGAINST AZERBAIJANIS

Vestnik Kavkaza, Russia
                      March 6 2013

The French National Assembly's president Claude Bartolone condemned
                      the violence against two Azerbaijani nationals, who were reportedly
                      beaten by Armenians.

In response to a letter from the Azerbaijani ambassador to France
                      concerning the incident, the president of the National Assembly said
                      that he condemned this act of violence and was waiting for the results
                      of the investigation to voice his position on the issue, Azerbaijani
                      Ambassador to France Elchin Amirbayov told Trend today.

In his letter to the ambassador, the president of the National Assembly
                      expressed the hope that the actions would be taken to prevent similar
                      incidents in the future.

Two Azerbaijani nationals, Mirvari Fataliyeva and Vusal Huseynov,
                      were reportedly beaten by representatives of the Armenian community
                      at the French National Assembly during an event devoted to the
                      Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.

Comment

Working...
                      X