Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Nagorno-Karabagh: Military Balance Between Armenia & Azerbaijan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nagorno-Karabagh: Military Balance Between Armenia & Azerbaijan

Originally posted by D3ADSY View Post
    That's what everyone thought back in 1988 too. This time Azeris have to launch an offensive against a heavily dug in Armenian side that is well trained, well equipped and highly motivated.

Azeris love to parade all their new toys and love to talk tough but that doesn't prove anything. The Georgians loved to put on big parades and show off their hardware too. Was it a reflection of their battlefield capabilities? Hardly.
    Agree 100%

1.) The Armenians will be on the defensive which means the Azeris will have to mount a major, multi- front offensive. They will need to vastly outnumber the Armenian troops in terms of soldiers, tanks, etc. The Georgians tried this against the vastly outnumbered/outgunned Ossets and after some initial success, due mostly to the element of surprise, were bogged down long enough for reinforcements to arrive...and we know how that ended. The Azeris will mostly be at the disadvantage, their only advantage is the element of surprise but then again this is not gong to be much of an advantage for them. The problem for them exists that the Armenians are better experiecend, trained, equipped and manned than other military formations in the Caucasus. additionally, they hold the high ground and can easily view Azeri operations/ troop movements, across the line. On paper, the Azeris might appear stronger but in reality, when combines the forces of Armenia and Artsakh, the Azeris have only a slight edge in troops, equipments, etc. Until the Azeris actualy fight successfull instead of making threats, they are only paper tigers.

2) If the Azeris are able to breach the initial line of defense, {which will be costly in terms of casualties}, they will still have to cross 2 additional lines which are even more heavily fortified, clear mines, and be able to absorb a massive artillery onslaught for which they will be in the middle of a coordinated trajectory that has been mapped and covered by howitzers, katyushas, strellas, mortars, etc.

3) if they somehow succede, they will then be bogged down in a mountainous guerrilla war that will ultimately defeat them. The Armenians forces in the region were able to fight successfully this way against combined Azeri-Omon/ Soviet forces prior to the organization of their military with but a handful of dedicated men. It should also be noted that in some areas of Artsakh, tanks are ineffective. Nor will the Azeris be able to bolster their supply lines in such a mountainous area with good cover.

4) The Azeri will be racing against the clock; if they are to miraculously succesful, they will need to achieve this not in months or weeks but in mere days. The Armenians will be reinforced almost immediately from Armenia proper.

It should also be noted:

-While the Azeris have been beefing up their military and material, so have the Armenians. Armenia and Artsakh are not resting on their laurels. Russia recently provided and extra billion in equipment, ammo, etc and Armenia has been procuring equipment from various states, not just Russia, at low prices. They have also stockpiled enough fuel and ammo to fight for many months. The last war was a learning experience for the Armenians and they will not forget those lessons in terms of tactics, supply lines, logisitics, etc.
    If the Azeris have a larger airforce, the Armenians counter with a highly-tuned anti-aircraft system. It was true during the first war and true today. As everyday passes, air-power grow more obsolete. The latest anti-aircraft weapons are highly effective and much cheaper to purchase and maintain. The Azeris lost dozens of aircraft during the first war.

- The Armenian military is far more effective, professional and organized that the first war. They are lead by experienced and successful veterans. Though brash and xxxxy, they are being educated by men with real know-how. This in invaluable.

- Again, the Armenians will be fighting a defensive war which means they will absorb attacks and inflict damage on the enemy which is easier than coordinating an an attack. The Armenians only need to stand firm.

- The Armenians backs will be against the wall if attacked they will have higher morale. Losing will not be a option. In some cases, their families only live a few kilometers from the front.

- If the Azeris attack, investors, business, etc will flee. The war will be bad for everyone in terms of human loss, economy, etc but the Azeris have much more to lose. Not only that, the BTC pipeline will be destroyed, I can guarnatee. Remember, this is in Russia's interest too.

-It is highly likely that if the Azeris attacked they will be defeated and suffer high battle casualties which will result in a demoralized military, disorganization, etc. Then they are open for an Armenian counterattack. This happened during the first war. You can forget Turks helping the Azeris, Russia thwarts that threat and their are no longer any significant Chechen forces left to help the Azeris this time. Nor will the Afghan mujaheddin lend a hand this time, they are bogged down against the US and were also totally ineffective against the Armenians in the first war{ as were the Chechens}.

If helter-skelter occurs and the Azeris are somehow manage to subjugate Artsakh, the Armenians have one more trump card up their sleeve and I do believe the Azeri high brass, president know about this but are loathe to say anything......
    Last edited by Joseph; 07-13-2009, 12:38 PM.
    General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph View Post
      Agree 100%

1.) The Armenians will be on the defensive which means the Azeris will have to mount a major, multi- front offensive. They will need to vastly outnumber the Armenian troops in terms of soldiers, tanks, etc. The Georgians tried this against the vastly outnumbered/outgunned Ossets and after some initial success, due mostly to the element of surprise, were bogged down long enough for reinforcements to arrive...and we know how that ended. The Azeris will mostly be at the disadvantage, their only advantage is the element of surprise but then again this is not gong to be much of an adavantage. The problem for them exists that the Armenians are better experiecend, trained, equipped and manned, additionally, they hold the high ground and can easily view Azeri operations/ troop movements, across the line.

2) If the Azeris are able to breach the initial line of defense, {which will be costly}, they will still have to cross 2 additional lines which are even more heavily fortified, clear mines, and be able to absorb a massive artillery onslaught for which they will be in the middle of a coordinated trajectory that has been mapped and covered by howitzers, katyushas, strellas, mortars, etc.

3) if they somehow succede, they will then be bogged down in a mountainous guerrilla war that will ultimately defeat them. The Armenians forces in the region were able to fight successfully this way against combined Azeri-Omon/ Soviet forces prior to the organization of their military with but a handful of dedicated men. It should also be noted that in some areas of Artsakh, tanks are ineffective.

4) The Azeri will be racing against the clock; if they are to miraculously succesful, they will need to achieve this not in months or weeks but in mere days. The Armenians will be reinforced almost immediately

It should also be noted:

-While the Azeris have been beefing up their military and material, so have the Armenians. Armenia and Artsakh are not resting on their laurels. Russia recently provided and extra billion in equipment, ammo, etc and Armenia has been procuring equipment from various states, not just Russia, at low prices. They have also stockpiled enough fuel and ammo to fight for many months.
      If the Azeris have a larger airforce, the Armenians counter with a highly-tuned anti-aircraft system. It was true during the first war and true today.

- The Armenian military is far more effective, professional and organized that the first war. They are lead by experienced and successful veterans.

- Again, the will be fighting a defensive war which means they will absorb attacks and inflict damage on the enemy which is easier than coordinated an attack.

- They're backs will be against the wall if attacked they will have higher morale. Losing will not be a option.

- If the Azeris attack, investors, business, etc will flee. The war will be bad for everyone in terms of human loss, economy, etc but the Azeris have much more to lose.

-It is highly likely that if the Azeris attacked they will be defeated and suffer high battle casualties which will result in a demoralized military, disorganization, etc. Then they are open for a counterattack. This happened during the first war. You can forget Turks helping them, Russia thwarts that threat and their are no longer any Chechen forces left to help the Azeris this time.

4) Keep in mind
      that was beautifully said. Also lets not forget that there is an oil pipeline over Artsakh so if the azeris attack Armenia will surely destroy that pipeline. Armenia has the best anti-air in the region. We have top of the line anti-air artillery so it doesnt matter that the azeris have unmanned planes, if those planes enter our land they will surely be destroyed. The funny thing is i guess they havent learned there lesson. they attacked us during the first war and lost land. do they seriously think if they attack now they will win? We are better equipped now, we will probably be able to get them on the counter attack again.

Comment

Well, about counterattacking, don't the azeris put mines everywhere in their controlled territory around NKR? I'd expect this to be a more serious case during a second war than in the first, as they've had a good 15 years now to plant mines all over the place. I mean, even 15 years ago they managed to make Armenian occupied territories of NKR full of mines.

Comment

they azeris r known for putting mines when retreating like they did during the first war. i think if they put mines they probably would surround azerbaijan to protect themselves from Armenia.

Comment

Originally posted by jgk3 View Post
            Well, about counterattacking, don't the azeris put mines everywhere in their controlled territory around NKR? I'd expect this to be a more serious case during a second war than in the first, as they've had a good 15 years now to plant mines all over the place. I mean, even 15 years ago they managed to make Armenian occupied territories of NKR full of mines.
            I agree, it will be much harder to counter-attack this time but one of the tactics used by Armenians last time that was effective was to essentially carpet bomb suspected minefields in the areas ahead of the vanguard forces with katyusha rockets. They were able to also use forward vanguard units to observe the Azeri civilian and military retreat to determine the safest routes/ salients forward.I know for a fact this method was used in Fizuli and Jebrail. It is not fullproof and takes time. It would come with a cost but if the Azeris are not dissuaded from a failed attack, a counter-attack might end the conflict for good.

I think a counterattack would consist of mainly pushing the lines further east and re-mining the areas in front of the newly established defenses. An assualt on Yevlakh would essentially end the Azeri agressions and create a new wave of refugees. Yevlah is the nerve center/depot of the Azeri operations versus Armenia and an important crossroads. Not to mention BTC passes through there.
            General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

Originally posted by ninetoyadome View Post
              that was beautifully said. Also lets not forget that there is an oil pipeline over Artsakh so if the azeris attack Armenia will surely destroy that pipeline. Armenia has the best anti-air in the region. We have top of the line anti-air artillery so it doesnt matter that the azeris have unmanned planes, if those planes enter our land they will surely be destroyed. The funny thing is i guess they havent learned there lesson. they attacked us during the first war and lost land. do they seriously think if they attack now they will win? We are better equipped now, we will probably be able to get them on the counter attack again.
              Yes, BTC passes I believe about 10 km or so from the front. If the Armenians in Artsakh are unable to destroy it, the Armenians in Georgia might be able to assist as they have access to the pipeline in the northern portion of Javakh.

Comment

That is very dangerous move……I don’t think Armenia will do such thing without Russian approval. Never mind Azerbaijan and Turkey, you cut that flow outright and there will be hell to pay internationally.

Holding it a hostage is another story.
                One wrong move and the pipeline gets it!

Well said Joseph.

BTW, in my opinion if NKR had only two fighter squadrons backed by current air defense systems…………Artsakh will secure air superiority in no time and pave the road ahead to take the fight to the enemy.
                B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

Originally posted by Eddo211 View Post
                  That is very dangerous move……I don’t think Armenia will do such thing without Russian approval. Never mind Azerbaijan and Turkey, you cut that flow outright and there will be hell to pay internationally.

Holding it a hostage is another story.
                  One wrong move and the pipeline gets it!

Well said Joseph.

BTW, in my opinion if NKR had only two fighter squadrons backed by current air defense systems…………Artsakh will secure air superiority in no time and pave the road ahead to take the fight to the enemy.
                  i wouldnt be surprised if Armenia high jacks the oil or builds a pipeline that leads the oil to Armenia

Comment

i wouldnt be surprised if Armenia high jacks the oil or builds a pipeline that leads the oil to Armenia
                    suss.........Lets keep that Ace in the hole under the table shall we.
                    B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

Joseph
                      I agree with you assessment above. That is why conceding an territory that will reduce our defensive capability would be sheer madness.

My concern ( and I am not being negative) is our capabilities on the political front.
                      Azeris can work covertly having both the money ( oil) as well as Turkish political expertise.

As you know soon there will be an international conference where a lot of pressure will be exerted for a "solution".

Not sure how hard the arm twisting will be and how our side will fare.

Any comments on this?
                      Politics is not about the pursuit of morality nor what's right or wrong
                      Its about self interest at personal and national level often at odds with the above.
                      Great politicians pursue the National interest and small politicians personal interests

Comment

Working...
                      X