Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Nagorno-Karabagh: Military Balance Between Armenia & Azerbaijan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nagorno-Karabagh: Military Balance Between Armenia & Azerbaijan

@Vrej1915 , thanks for the welcome!
    Good points there and I mostly agree. When estimating any unfolding scenario, one must guard against oversimplifications, because this is a very complex region - a point of intersection of multiple lines of interests of multiple global players.
    I never said that the resulting oil price rise is going to be the main reason for external pressure, but there will be pressure (on both sides) to end military engagements as soon as possible. Just like Sarkosy championed the cease fire, so will the western powers once again try to freeze this conflict if they see that Azerbaijan is not making much progress in advancing its military objectives. That is why Azerbaijan is purchasing the kinds of weaponry to try to fight a very swift war.

Another point to note is that Azerbaijan's current government's objectives might not be a complete conquest in this war. It may opt to regain control of certain territories (Fizuli, Qubatli, Zangelan) so as to boost the morale of its army, regain better points for rocket artillery, restore the credibility with the general population, threaten Megri and unification with Nakhichevan, and hope to finish the job in another war. (Just remember the morale boost that Azeri army had when they recaptured Horadiz.) In my opinion that is why Aliyev sat at that negotiating table - trying to regain these strategically and geopolitically significant territories "through peaceful means" so as to fight an easier war afterwards, and that didn't work.

@Eddo211 , thanks for the welcome too!
    Yes, aviation is of course important in modern warfare, but Armenia currently has neither the capability to build its own, nor the resources to purchase a serious fleet externally. Most it can hope for at this stage is a Georgia-Russia-2008 kind of scenario: after Russian forces lost quite a few jets to Georgian (relatively mediocre) air defense installations during the first 2 days, the rest of the engagement was kept on the ground with tactical strikes being handled (with varying degrees of success) by Tochka-U and Iskander missiles.

Comment

Well there seem to be some rumours going around that the price of crude oil will be falling to 100 or even below.

Comment

Originally posted by KarotheGreat View Post
        Well there seem to be some rumours going around that the price of crude oil will be falling to 100 or even below.
        Probably because of successful (and by successful I mean not disastrous) multilateral talks with Iran in Baghdad.

Comment

Originally posted by davidoga View Post
          Probably because of successful (and by successful I mean not disastrous) multilateral talks with Iran in Baghdad.
          I think it has more to do with the US pumping more oil in the market and also the fact that there are speculations going on that Saudi-Arabia is planning to do the same. It seems that history is repeating itself. I hope this time the Iranian economy can keep itself together and will not collapse like it happened in the 70's.

Comment

Last edited by Hovo; 05-30-2012, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Does Armenia have any military programs for Diasporans? Something like the Israeli Garin Tzabar program http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garin_Tzabar or the Sar El http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sar-El

I mean, if say some Armenian diasporan young men and women want to volunteer for Armenian Army training for a summer or for 6 months or a year, does out Republic provide any such program?

Comment

Originally posted by matrixfighter View Post
                Does Armenia have any military programs for Diasporans? Something like the Israeli Garin Tzabar program http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garin_Tzabar or the Sar El http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sar-El

I mean, if say some Armenian diasporan young men and women want to volunteer for Armenian Army training for a summer or for 6 months or a year, does out Republic provide any such program?
                Not sure if Armenia has such a program. My plan is to apply for Armenian citizenship after college (so as to have dual American-Armenian citizenship), travel to Armenia, and then be conscripted. To my knowledge this should work.

Comment

Originally posted by davidoga View Post
                  Not sure if Armenia has such a program. My plan is to apply for Armenian citizenship after college (so as to have dual American-Armenian citizenship), travel to Armenia, and then be conscripted. To my knowledge this should work.
                  what if you are over 27?

Comment

Originally posted by arakeretzig View Post
                    what if you are over 27?
                    I believe there is a different process, but it is still possible. Give the Armenian embassy a call, they should explain it to you.

Comment

Originally posted by matrixfighter View Post
                      @Eddo211 , thanks for the welcome too!
                      Yes, aviation is of course important in modern warfare, but Armenia currently has neither the capability to build its own, nor the resources to purchase a serious fleet externally.
                      Armenia has more capabilities than you may know, our own designed and operational UAVs are a good sign of that. As far as a serious fleet we don't need that.....what we need is a few squadrons (4 to 6 planes in each, nobody is asking for Mig-29s, just more SU-25s with some upgrades geared up towards its mission over Azerbaijan). Also since when do we pay full price for weapons of war from Russia? The only reason we don't have it is because Russia doesn't want us to have it because she knows we will destroy Baku.

Most it can hope for at this stage is a Georgia-Russia-2008 kind of scenario:
                      You kidding right? those two scenarios are not the same and if you are considering Georgian success as a would be Armenian success then also consider this...
                      Russian aircraft bombed the Georgian cities of Kareli, Gori, Vaziani, near Tbilisi and the military airfield in Marneuli, also near Tbilisi, this is aug 8th. On the 9th black sea port of Poti. By next day they were dominating Georgian airspace and bombing the capital city of Tiblisi.....Gori was bombed every day (where Stalin was born). Russian aircraft also destroyed the SU-25 manufacturing facility in Georgia. Precision air strikes continued throughout the war.
                      Airpower alone cannot win wars......but it clears the road ahead for the ground forces to do their job with better success and less resistance. Also the SU-25s are close ground support aircraft who cover the soldiers on the ground (knife fighting face to face, called in the flying circle).

after Russian forces lost quite a few jets to Georgian (relatively mediocre) air defense installations during the first 2 days, the rest of the engagement was kept on the ground with tactical strikes being handled (with varying degrees of success) by Tochka-U and Iskander missiles.
                      Russia had 4 confirmed loss of aircraft (Georgian claim of 10 is bulldust).....Georgians had SA-11 Gadfly, those are no joke air defense systems. They also had more Soviet era shorter range missiles can't remember the name.
                      B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

Working...
                      X