Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Bashar al-Assad, Syria and the Armenian people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Bashar al-Assad, Syria and the Armenian people

Latakia Offensive Stirs Dark Memories for Armenian-Syrians

When hardline Islamist rebels took over swaths of Latakia province this week, it provided them with their first outpost on the Mediterranean Sea.

The military offensive was symbolic for several reasons: rebels from al Nusra Front taking over northern parts of Bashar al Assad’s hometown province while the Turkish air force shot down a regime war plane trying to bombard the rebel advancement, as it flew near their shared border. Nusra is al Qaeda’s sanctioned offshoot in Syria.

But for Armenian-Syrians from the town of Kassab in Latakia, which rebels overran this weekend, the Turkish involvement reminded them of a dark chapter in their history: the Armenian genocide perpetrated by the Ottoman empire in 1915. The Turks bristle at the term genocide, although 1.5 million Armenians died at the hands of Ottoman forces.

For many of Kassab’s Armenian-Syrians, the Nusra Front occupies one side of the same coin the Turks do as well – an existential threat in a war where initial concepts like freedom and democracy have been sidelined by minorities’ concerns, steeped in thousand-year-old memories of past injustices perpetrated across the region. Better the devil you know, than the one you don’t, is the common Christian refrain.

Armenian-Syrians expressed outrage Sunday over radical Islamist rebels taking over Kassab, which they said would threaten the town’s Christian inhabitants, many supporters of President Bashar al Assad’s forces. Kassab residents cheered on Damascus in the fight against rebels this weekend, believing the alliance with Mr. Assad — an Alawite, another religious minority — a safer bet to protect their interests.

Armenian-Syrians blamed Turkey for rebel advances in Kassab — as Ankara has long turned a blind eye to rebels crossing their borders and weapons flows — and equated a win by Nusra with the Armenian genocide.

When Ankara shot down the Syrian war plane, it was too much for Kassab’s residents. They claimed an old foe – Turkey – was conspiring against them by allying with a new enemy – Sunni Muslim extremist groups like Nusra.

“The Turks are [working against] us again. This is unacceptable considering history. Genocide repeat [in] Kassab,” said one Twitter user from the town, in sentiments shared by many other Syrian-Armenians on the social networking site. “What a bad day this has been. God bless everyone who is defending the beautiful village of Kassab.”

Turkey has denied it supports extremist rebels and said it shot down the Syrian war plane to protect its territory.

The Free Syrian Army has struggled to convince minorities that they will protect them, as some al Qaeda breakaway factions like the Islamic State of Iraq and al Sham impose a hard-line version of Islam on territory they capture and have even vandalized churches. The more secular FSA is backed by Western and Gulf states and recently turned their guns on ISIS.

Kassab is the last Syrian-Turkish border crossing in the government’s hands, according to rebels. The ancient town of Kassab features steep mountains dropping into the Mediterranean’s crystal blue waters, stone houses next to quaint churches hundreds of years old.

“The people of Kassab are kicked out of their houses and living in the Armenian church of Latakia [city] where they receive food from the Armenians living there,” said one student from Kassab, who now lives in the U.A.E. but is in touch with family members who recently fled the town.

“The place we used to spend our summer memories has turned into a war zone….the Free Syrian Army is bombing the place while the Syrian Army is doing all they can do to save Kassab…The only positive thing is that the people in Kassab, including my friends and family, escaped just in time. They will surely going to be homeless after the battle.”
    Politics is not about the pursuit of morality nor what's right or wrong
    Its about self interest at personal and national level often at odds with the above.
    Great politicians pursue the National interest and small politicians personal interests

Comment

Media Neglect Turkish False Flag Attack Leak And Its Implications

Some more thoughts on the leaked tape from a meeting in the Turkish foreign ministry which is only very selectively reported in "western" media. A video with recorded voices and English text is available as is the seemingly complete text in two parts.

The setting of the recording is this:

The voices of the illegal recording believed to belong to Davutoğlu, National Intelligence Organization (MİT) Hakan Fidan, Foreign Ministry Undersecretary Feridun Sinirlioğlu, and Deputy Chief of General Staff Gen. Yaşar Gürel. According to the information obtained from sources, the recording consists of a chat between four officials in Davutoğlu’s office before the commencement of the official meeting with the participation of more civil and military bureaucrats in another room at the Foreign Ministry.

It is not clear when exactly the meeting happened. It would fit the situation late last year or early 2014.

Turkey has delivered 2,000 trucks of weapons and ammunition to the insurgents in Syria.
      There are plans for false flag attacks on Turkey or Turkish property to justify an attack from Turkey on Syria.
      The Turkish military has great concerns going into and fighting Syria.
      The general atmosphere between these deciders is one of indecisiveness.
      Everyone seems to be unclear what Erdogan wants and is waiting for clear orders from above.
      U.S. military has shortly before the meeting presented fresh plans for a no-fly one over Syria.

Transilation of voice text in the next 2 posts.

Full article which include some more background information.....http://www.moonofalabama.org/2014/03...ions.html#more
      Last edited by londontsi; 03-29-2014, 03:06 AM.
      Its about self interest at personal and national level often at odds with the above.
      Great politicians pursue the National interest and small politicians personal interests

Comment

TwitLonger is the easy way to post more than 140 characters to Twitter

ELECTION DRIVEN WAR PLANS – I
        PART 1

Ahmet Davutoğlu:
        “Prime Minister said that in current conjuncture, this attack (on Suleiman Shah Tomb) must be seen as an opportunity for us.”
        Hakan Fidan:
        “I’ll send 4 men from Syria, if that’s what it takes. I’ll make up a cause of war by ordering a missile attack on Turkey; we can also prepare an attack on Suleiman Shah Tomb if necessary.”
        Feridun Sinirlioğlu:
        “Our national security has become a common, cheap domestic policy outfit.”
        Yaşar Güler:
        “It’s a direct cause of war. I mean, what’re going to do is a direct cause of war.”
        --------
        FIRST SCREEN:
        Ahmet Davutoğlu: I couldn’t entirely understand the other thing; what exactly does our foreign ministry supposed to do? No, I’m not talking about the thing. There are other things we’re supposed to do. If we decide on this, we are to notify the United Nations, the Istanbul Consulate of the Syrian regime, right?
        Feridun Sinirlioğlu: But if we decide on an operation in there, it should create a shocking effect. I mean, if we are going to do so. I don’t know what we’re going to do, but regardless of what we decide, I don’t think it’d be appropriate to notify anyone beforehand.
        Ahmet Davutoğlu: OK, but we’re gonna have to prepare somehow. To avoid any shorts on regarding international law. I just realized when I was talking to the president (Abdullah Gül), if the Turkish tanks go in there, it means we’re in there in any case, right?
        Yaşar Güler: It means we’re in, yes.
        Ahmet Davutoğlu: Yeah, but there’s a difference between going in with aircraft and going in with tanks…
        SECOND SCREEN:
        Yaşar Güler: Maybe we can tell the Syrian consulate general that, ISIL is currently working alongside the regime, and that place is Turkish land. We should definitely…
        Ahmet Davutoğlu: But we have already said that, sent them several diplomatic notes.
        Yaşar Güler: To Syria…
        Feridun Sinirlioğlu: That’s right.
        Ahmet Davutoğlu: Yes, we’ve sent them countless times. Therefore, I’d like to know what our Chief of Staff’s expectations from our ministry.
        Yaşar Güler: Maybe his intent was to say that, I don’t really know, he met with Mr. Fidan.
        Hakan Fidan: Well, he did mention that part but we didn’t go into any further details.
        Yaşar Güler: Maybe that was what he meant… A diplomatic note to Syria?
        Hakan Fidan: Maybe the Foreign Ministry is assigned with coordination…
        THIRD SCREEN:
        Ahmet Davutoğlu: I mean, I could coordinate the diplomacy but civil war, the military…
        Feridun Sinirlioğlu: That’s what I told back there. For one thing, the situation is different. An operation on ISIL has solid ground on international law. We’re going to portray this is Al-Qaeda, there’s no distress there if it’s a matter regarding Al-Qaeda. And if it comes to defending Suleiman Shah Tomb, that’s a matter of protecting our land.
        Yaşar Güler: We don’t have any problems with that.
        Hakan Fidan: Second after it happens, it’ll cause a great internal commotion (several bombing events is bound to happen within). The border is not under control…
        Feridun Sinirlioğlu: I mean, yes, the bombings are of course going to happen. But I remember our talk from 3 years ago…
        Yaşar Güler: Mr. Fidan should urgently receive back-up and we need to help him supply guns and ammo to rebels. We need to speak with the minister. Our Interior Minister, our Defense Minister. We need to talk about this and reach a resolution sir.
        Ahmet Davutoğlu: How did we get specials forces into action when there was a threat in Northern Iraq? We should have done so in there, too. We should have trained those men. We should have sent men. Anyway, we can’t do that, we can only do what diplomacy…
        Feridun Sinirlioğlu: I told you back then, for God’s sake, general, you know how we managed to get those tanks in, you were there.
        Yaşar Güler: What, you mean our stuff?
        Feridun Sinirlioğlu: Yes, how do you think we’ve managed to rally our tanks into Iraq? How? How did manage to get special forces, the battalions in? I was involved in that. Let me be clear, there was no government decision on that, we have managed that just with a single order.
        FOURTH SCREEN:
        Yaşar Güler: Well, I agree with you. For one thing, we’re not even discussing that. But there are different things that Syria can do right now.
        Ahmet Davutoğlu: General, the reason we’re saying no this operation is because we know about the capacity of those men.
        Yaşar Güler: Look, sir, isn’t MKE (Mechanical and Chemical Industry Corporation) at minister’s bidding? Sir, I mean, Qatar is looking for ammo to buy in cash. Ready cash. So, why don’t they just get it done? It’s at Mr. Minister’s command.
        Ahmet Davutoğlu: But there’s the spot we can’t act integratedly, we can’t coordinate.
        Yaşar Güler: Then, our Prime Minister can summon both Mr. Defence Minister and Mr. Minister at the same time. Then he can directly talk to them.
        Ahmet Davutoğlu: We, Mr. Siniroğlu and I, have literally begged Mr. Prime Minster for a private meeting, we said that things were not looking so bright.
        FIFTH SCREEN:
        Yaşar Güler: Also, it doesn’t have to be crowded meeting. Yourself, Mr. Defence Minister, Mr. Interior Minister and our Chief of Staff, the four of you are enough. There’s no need for a crowd. Because, sir, the main need there is guns and ammo. Not even guns, mainly ammo. We’ve just talked about this, sir. Let’s say we’re building an army down there, 1000 strong. If we get them into that war without previously storing a minimum of 6-months’ worth of ammo, these men will return to us after two months.
        Ahmet Davutoğlu: They’re back already.
        Yaşar Güler: They’ll return to us, sir.
        Ahmet Davutoğlu: They’ve came back from… What was it? Çobanbey.
        Yaşar Güler: Yes, indeed, sir. This matter can’t be just a burden on Mr. Fidan’s shoulders as it is now. It’s unacceptable. I mean, we can’t understand this. Why?
        SIXTH SCREEN:
        Ahmet Davutoğlu: That evening we’d reached a resolution. And I thought that things were taking a turn for the good. Our…
        Feridun Sinirlioğlu: We issued the MGK (National Security Council) resolution the day after. Then we talked with the general…
        Ahmet Davutoğlu: And the other forces really do a good follow up on this weakness of ours. You say that you’re going to capture this place, and that men being there constitutes a risk factor. You pull them back. You capture the place. You reinforce it and send in your troops again.
        Yaşar Güler: Exactly, sir. You’re absolutely right.
        Ahmet Davutoğlu: Right? That’s how I interpret it. But after the evacuation, this is not a military necessity. It’s a whole other thing.

SEVENTH SCREEN
        Feridun Siniroğlu: There are some serious shifts in global and regional geopolitics. It now can spread to other places. You said it yourself today, and others agreed… We’re headed to a different game now. We should be able to see those. That ISIL and all that jazz, all those organizations are extremely open to manipulation. Having a region made up of organizations of similar nature will constitute a vital security risk for us. And when we first went into Northern Iraq, there was always the risk of PKK blowing up the place. If we thoroughly consider the risks and substantiate… As the general just said…
        Yaşar Güler: Sir, when you were inside a moment ago, we were discussing just that. Openly. I mean, armed forces are a “tool” necessary for you in every turn.
        Ahmet Davutoğlu: Of course. I always tell the Prime Minister, in your absence, the same thing in academic jargon, you can’t stay in those lands without hard power. Without hard power, there can be no soft power.
        EIGTH SCREEN
        Yaşar Güler: Sir.
        Feridun Sinirlioğlu: The national security has been politicized. I don’t remember anything like this in Turkish political history. It has become a matter of domestic policy. All talks we’ve done on defending our lands, our border security, our sovereign lands in there, they’ve all become a common, cheap domestic policy outfit.
        Yaşar Güler: Exactly.
        Feridun Siniroğlu: That has never happened before. Unfortunately but…
        Yaşar Güler: I mean, do even one of the opposition parties support you in such a high point of national security? Sir, is this a justifiable sense of national security?
        Feridun Sinirlioğlu: I don’t even remember such a period.
        NINTH SCREEN:
        Yaşar Güler: In what matter can we be unified, if not a matter of national security of such importance? None.
        Ahmet Davutoğlu: The year 2012, we didn’t do it 2011. If only we’d took serious action back then, even in the summer of 2012.
        Feridun Sinirlioğlu: They were at their lowest back in 2012.
        Ahmet Davutoğlu: Internally, they were just like Libya. Who comes in and goes from power is not of any importance to us. But some things…
        Yaşar Güler: Sir, to avoid any confusion, our need in 2011 was guns and ammo. In 2012, 2013 and today also. We’re in the exact same point. We absolutely need to find this and secure that place.
        Ahmet Davutoğlu: Guns and ammo are not a big need for that place. Because we couldn’t get the human factor in order…

Comment

TwitLonger is the easy way to post more than 140 characters to Twitter

Hakan Fidan (Chief of Intellignce Office): We’ve sent there about 2 thousand trucks’ load of weapons.
          Yasar Guler (army general): In my view, there’s no need for weapons, ammunition is needed rather.
          Yes, sir. Hakan Bey here knows, we said we can give them a general. At first Hakan Bey himself requested it. We agreed to send a general. We chose the general. The general went ahead.
          Feridun Sinirlioglu (undersecretary to Foreign Minister): Practically, our defense minister must right away sign the order for the sake of the nation. Our Prime Minister must give clear orders in this direction again.
          Ahmet Davutoglu (Foreign Minister): Tonight I would…
          YG: Tonight, sir, we have no problems.
          FS: Tonight an order to launch attack has been already given.
          YG: We’ve published an urgent message for attack. Perhaps Hakan Bey knows.
          AD: Hakan, if we were to send tanks, what would be the complications there?
          HF: Now without coordination… if we take into account the balance of powers…
          YG: Sir, that’s why we need the coordination of the Intelligent Office.
          HF: with armed men and capacity it is not possible.
          YG: That is why, sir, we’ve demanded the coordination of the Intelligent Office from the start. There’s nothing, Minister, that you should worry about tonight. Neither tonight, nor later. But there’s work needs to be done in the long term.
          AD: I’m just thinking in terms of options and… if we dispatch tanks from the border… From that moment we should take into account a state of war… we’re, we’re launching an attack.
          YG: Directly a cause of war. What we’re gonna do is a clear cause of war.
          HF: Not a cause of war with Syria.
          YG: But the man…
          HF: What I mean is; we know 2X2 makes 4. Now if we… what’s going on there has no strategic meaning for us, it has consequences for our image, etc… Now if we’ll enter a war let’s plan at the outset and wage it. What I mean is…
          YG: We’ve been saying this from the start.
          HF: What I cannot accept is this: Now we’re risking armed attack for the tomb of Suleyman Shah, that is a piece of land that’s about the size of this room, a hectar or so, for the sake of 22-28 soldiers we have there. How many thousands of km is the border, and we’re not taking such a risk for the lives of millions of people who live along the border. Look, this is not logical! Let me tell you that much. If we’re going to resort to arms we must do so from the outset, if these men are a threat…
          FS: Now that has a justification…
          HF: To use this as a justification is another issue altogether, another issue…
          YG: Now our Foreign Ministry can never find a justification for that other thing, but for this we can find one…
          HF: Now look, I tell you something
          AD: Meanwhile, the PM said on the phone that this [the attack on the tomb of Suleyman Shah] must be utilized as an opportunity if need be, in this context
          HF: Now, sir, commander, if it’s a matter of justification, we can supply one, I can send 4 men to the other side, give orders for them to launch 8 rockets unto empty land. That’s not a problem! Justifications are manufactured. The issue is to display such a will. We’re asserting a will to wage war, we’re falling to the trap of speculation here, as always.
          FS: Let me tell you this, an area of 1 hectar. A 1-hectar land is a very solid justification in international law, besides as far as legitimacy goes, in such an operation against ISID, the whole world will be with us. Don’t have any doubts on that.
          YG: No, we don’t have any doubts.
          FS: No, I’m telling all of us. On that issue…
          YG: Well, our forces there have been waiting for a year, sir. It’s not a precaution just recently taken. They’ve been there for a year.
          HF: Why are we waiting strictly for Suleyman Shah, that I don’t understand.
          AD: We’ve done everything we could diplomatically
          FS: We need justification, a solid justification
          HF: I can manufacture the justification, that’s not the issue
          FS: Manufacturing justification is another thing but there’s a very solid justification out there
          HF: If need be we can launch an attack right there [at the tomb itself] as well, we can make them attack there, too, what’s the big deal? We can… I’m trying to get a grasp.
          FS: These can be done, of course, if need be, we can have everything done but…
          HF: If we are so ready to resort to such means, at the given time and place, let’s determine the goal and do it
          AD: Hakan, it’s not that big a deal, if you’re talking about a lack in strategy and manufacturing justification, yes, you’re right. Against these men…
          A personel: Sir, before you…
          AD: We’ll move to that room, ok, I’m coming. You cannot tell the American Foreign Minister again, let’s take serious measures,
          HF: Now, sir, what I mean is
          AD: He would say, you could not even defend your own land, we often talk in a friendly way with him, Kerry has said to me, have you yourselves decided about this, this attack, this…
          YG: We did, sir, we’ve decided a hundred times. With America…
          FS: Look, three days ago something has happened at the Chief of Army Staff, they have had a crisis coordination meeting. I saw him for the first time. The Americans
          YG: No, we do it regularly!
          FS: No, but the Americans have handed out the plans for the “no fly zone” at this meeting. For the first time in this meeting. Did you know about that?
          HF: Now, what I’m trying to underline, sir, is if we are going to make this decision, such a serious decision on the grounds of Suleyman Shah, if are ready for it…
          FS: No, not just Suleyman Shah…
          HF: No, I’m saying, if we’re ready we should have made this decision long time ago. Based on the threats and interest at hand. That’s what I’m trying to say. As a state, it’d appear impotent to…
          AD: Yes, if we made that decision at a smaller scale we would not face this choice now.
          YG: But no, we DID take this decision…
          HF: But it wasn’t implemented
          YG: We could not implement the decision, for various reasons we have been paralyzed, that is our concern, sir. The instruments of state are defunct at the moment
          AD: I cannot accept this, frankly, I look at it on my side, with my mores. Would you accept such a thing; that affairs are delayed at the Foreign Ministry due to political discussions… that wouldn’t be legitimate! Everyone will continue with his duties in a resolute manner. If an ambassador said, sir, they can sack me, they sack everyone, what would you say? Would we not say to him, then go ahead and resign, we will find someone who can undertake the duty, right? That’s how one has to view the situation. That’s how things work in a democracy…
          YG: Sir, you’re so right
          AD: Right now the state operates on a few units and persons who can take good decisions, I…
          YG: Exactly, sir, exactly
          AD: So are we going to back down from this then?
          YG: No, sir, we won’t back down
          AD: Anyhow, let’s move to the other room

Comment

Here the Turks are mocking us.

DAVUTOGLU'S CALLING KESSAB ARMENIANS TO TURKEY IS MOCKERY OF INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY - TURKOLOGIST

March 28, 2014 | 15:34

YEREVAN. - Turkish FM Ahmet Davutoglu's cynical statement is a mockery
            of the international community.

Armenian turkologist Andranik Ispiryan stated the aforesaid at a
            press conference on Friday.

"Turkey MFA's cynical call of inviting the Kessab Armenians to Turkey
            is a mockery of the international community. Thus, Turkey is attempting
            to pull the wool over the eyes of the international community.

"But with the video recording which already has appeared on the
            Internet, it is proved that the terrorist groups freely entered the
            Armenian-populated Kessab from Turkey, and with Turkey's assistance,"
            Ispiryan noted.

He also stressed that the Armenian President's statement on what
            occurred in Syria's predominantly Armenian-populated town of Kessab
            was important, and that the Armenian MPs' visit to Syria was a moral
            and a psychological support to the Syrian Armenians.

The turkologist also brought attention to the fact that the Kessab
            Armenians, who now have found refuge in Latakia, are in desperate
            need of food and clothing.

Andranik Ispiryan added that the West's silence on this matter
            is bizarre.

In the early morning on March 21, armed militants from the Jabhat
            al-Nusra Islamic terrorist group infiltrated into northern Syria's
            Latakia Governorate, which is predominantly inhabited by Armenians
            and Alawites, from four directions. Two large groups of terrorists
            had launched the attack from Turkey. About 600 Kessab-Armenian
            families are currently sheltered in Latakia city. On March 23, Turkish
            fighter planes downed a Syrian military aircraft that was conducting a
            mission against the Islamic terrorists in Kessab. On Monday, a group
            of Armenia parliament members headed to Syria to assess the situation
            in the country.

Turkey is attempting to pull the wool over the eyes of the international community…
            Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Syrian rebels allowed to attack Latakia from Turkish soil under Turkish air cover. Iran raises Cain in Ankara
              DEBKAfile
              March 29, 2014,

Turkey has ratcheted up its intervention in the Syrian war to an unprecedented level, according to exclusive DEBKAfile military and intelligence sources. For the first time in the three-year conflict the Turkish army is allowing Syrian rebel forces, including the Al-Qaeda-affiliated Nusra Front, passage through Turkish territory for their offensive to capture the northwestern Syrian coastal area where the Assad clan’s lands are situated.
              Ankara’s support for the rebels is inclusive: Turkish troops are posted at the roadside with supplies of ammo, fuel, food, mechanical repair crews and medical aid for rebel forces as they head north. The Turkish air force gives them air cover and Turkish agents arm them with surveillance data on Syrian military movements ahead.
              The Syrian fighter jet shot down on March 23 just inside the Turkish border was in fact downed in a dogfight with Turkish warplanes, while trying to bomb the rebel convoy heading for the new combat arena. Both sides preferred to stay quiet about the incident and its causes.

The rebels receiving Turkish military support are disclosed by our sources as belonging to two militias: The Syrian Revolutionaries Front under the command of Jamal Maarouf, which has gathered in remnants of the disbanded Free Syrian Army; and the Islamic Front, sponsored until recently by Saudi intelligence. They number around 4,000 fighting men including elements of the Nusra Front.
              With powerful Turkish backing, this force has been able to carve a very narrow corridor into northwest Syria from the tall Jabal al-Zawiya in the Idlib region up to a point near Syria’s northern Mediterranean coast, thereby severing the northwestern link between Syria and Turkey.
              This was the first time rebel forces had gained full control of a strategic corridor. First, they had to battle through and capture the towns of Kazab, Khirbet and Samra northwest of the coastal town of Latakia.
              The Syrian army is throwing air, armored and heavy artillery strength against the rebels to stop them firming up their positions in those towns, while also aiming to regain command of the Syrian-Turkish border region.
              The fighting Saturday, March 29 was most intense around Kasab.
              This new development in the Syrian war raises two questions:
              1. For how long can the Syrian rebels hold out against constant battering by superior military strength?
              2. If the rebels are thrown out of their new positions, will the Turkish army come to their aid? If so, it would be Ankara’s first outright military incursion into Syrian territory and the first intrusion by a NATO member in its civil conflict.
              Our sources in Ankara report that Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan is in favor of going ahead. He is vehemently opposed by the Turkish chief of staff.
              It is this argument which triggered the banning of YouTube by the Turkish government Friday, March 28 - not the important municipal elections taking place Monday. A leaked recording published anonymously purported to reveal a conversation between Turkey’s foreign minister, Ahmet Davutoglu, spy chief Hakan Fidan and a general discussing how to drum up a pretext for a Turkish attack inside Syria. A voice identified as that of Fidan appeared to suggest a missile assault as the pretext for a Turkish invasion.
              Erdogan and Turkish intelligence chiefs are convinced that the leak was orchestrated by generals who are against deeper Turkish involvement in the Syria war
              In the meantime, DEBKAfile’s Iranian sources report that Tehran was so jittery about this turn of events that a Iranian military delegation was rushed to Ankara, arriving Saturday, to force the Erdogan to take his hands off the Syrian war by any means, including a threat to suspend oil supplies. The two sides are still talking.
              Last edited by Vrej1915; 03-30-2014, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ;350117
                Turkey Blamed In Attack On Syrian Armenian Village

....said Emil Sanamyan
                davajan anasoon shoon toork

eurasianet, nothing but western anti-armenian propaganda, worse than than presstv or rt, on the same level as azeri news

at least presstv or rt, whatever their motives,are pro-armenian
                Last edited by Mher; 03-29-2014, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Քեսաբահայերը պատմում էին, որ անհոգ են ապրել, մեծ ունեցվածք են ունեցել. Հայ պատգամավորները վերադարձել են Սիրիայից
                  29 Մարտի 2014

Սիրիա մեկնած հայ պատգամավորներն այսօր վերադարձել են Երեւան։
                  Ինչպես HayNews.am-ին տեղեկացրեց ՀՀԿ-ական պատգամավոր Նաիրա Կարապետյանը` իրենք պատրաստվում են մյուս շաբաթ ասուլիս հրավիրել եւ ամփոփել այցի արդյունքները։

«Շատ տպավորված ենք այցելությամբ, բավականին արդյունավետ այցելություն էր, ստացել ենք շատ առաջարկներ, ինքներս էլ ունենք շատ մտահղացումներ: Նախ, պետք է իրավիճակը ներկայացնենք հանրությանը, մեր ղեկավարությանը, քննարկենք առաջարկները, իմի բերենք, մշակենք կոնկրետ ծրագիր եւ սկսենք գործել։ Սիրիա այցելության երեք օրերի ընթացքում մենք եղել ենք Լաթաքիայում, Դամասկոսում, Լիբանանում, հանդիպել ենք հայ համայնքի, նրանց հոգեւոր առաջնորդների, քաղաքների ղեկավարության, պատգամավորների, ինչպես նաեւ Սիրիայի նախագահի, վարչապետի եւ Ժողովրդական ժողովի նախագահի հետ»,- ասաց պատգամավորը:

Նա նշեց, որ տարհանված քեսաբահայության վիճակը շատ տխուր է. «Տարհանված են, ամեն ինչ կորցրած, բոլորը պատմում էին, որ անհոգ ապրել են, մեծ ունեցվածք են ունեցել, միշտ վտանգ եղել է, բայց պաշտպանվածություն ապահովել են եւ այժմ մի քանի ժամում թողել են իրենց բնակավայրը ու եկել ապրում են եկեղեցու բակում: Դուք չեք պատկերացնի՝ ինչ տեսարան էր, եկեղեցու բակում դոշակներ էին գցված, պատմություն առ պատմություն լսել, արտասվել ենք, բոլորս լրիվ պատկերացրինք, թե ինչ է կատարվել 100 տարի առաջ, Փառք Աստծո, զոհեր չենք տվել: Միեւնույն ժամանակ, շատ հպարտ ու լիահույս էինք, իրենց մտքում միայն Քեսաբ վերադառնալն է եւ մեզնից էլ միայն աջակցություն էին խնդրում Քեսաբը վերականգնելու հարցում»:

Հիշեցնենք, որ մարտի 24-ին ԱԺ մի խումբ պատգամավորներ մեկնել էին Լաթաքիա:

HayNews.am

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Mher View Post
                      davajan anasoon shoon toork

eurasianet, nothing but western anti-armenian propaganda, worse than than presstv or rt, on the same level as azeri news

at least presstv or rt, whatever their motives,are pro-armenian
                      What specific points in the article do you object to?
                      Last edited by bell-the-cat; 03-30-2014, 07:14 AM.
                      Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Working...
                      X