Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Regional geopolitics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Regional geopolitics

Even siding now with the Russians, the Eastern Sultan is still wetting in bed.

"Erdogan claims Turkey in 'greatest struggle' since independence

“At this critical time when there are attempts to restructure the world and our region, if we stop, we will find ourselves facing Sevres conditions,”

In his latest speech, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan invoked a traumatic memory for Turks, the Treaty of Sevres, in a move calculated to appeal to his nationalist supporters.

Comment

They cannot stop showing their frustrations.

"An Alliance to Worry the West"

Comment

"Deaths in Syria Spur Unease in Turkey
        Funerals for soldiers killed by Islamic State fuel worries of growing costs of war"

"Turkey restricts social media access after alleged video of soldiers being burned surfaces"

Comment

The weirdest thing just happened!!!

The United Nations Security Council has passed a resolution urging an end to illegal Israeli settlements after the US refused to veto it.

The US has traditionally sheltered Israel from condemnatory resolutions.
          Israeli officials have condemned the US abstention.
          Israeli Energy Minister Yuval Steinitz said: "This is not a resolution against settlements, it is an anti-Israel resolution, against the Jewish people and the state of the Jews.
          "The United States tonight has simply abandoned its only friend in the Middle East."

President-elect Trump, who will be inaugurated on 20 January, tweeted after the vote: "As to the UN, things will be different after Jan. 20th."

The UN Security Council backs a call to end illegal Israeli settlements after the US refuses to veto.

Comment

Armenian music being payed in liberated Aleppo

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

(Graphic 18+) Rebels massacre over 100 hostages before leaving east Aleppo
              By Leith Fadel - 23/12/2016

BEIRUT, LEBANON (10:40 P.M.) - The jihadist rebels of Fatah Halab and Jabhat Fateh Al-Sham carried out another heinous massacre prior to leaving the last east Aleppo neighborhoods this past week, an SAA officer from the Republican Guard told Al-Masdar News on Friday.

Over 100 hostages from the Syrian Arab Army, mostly young men between the ages of 18-25, were summarily executed by the jihadist rebels prior to their departure from the Sukkari and Bustan Al-Qasr districts of east Aleppo.

"These massacred soldiers were comprised of men that were captured by the jihadist rebels over a four year span in the Aleppo Governorate; they were unable to smuggle their hostages from the Sukkari School, so they chose to execute them instead," the SAA officer added.

Photo of massacred soldiers released by pro-government activists in east Aleppo

The photos above were released by pro-government journalists reporting from eastern Aleppo - the soldiers have not yet been identified.

Some reports indicate that a large number of the executed soldiers were beheaded before the jihadist rebels left; this could not be verified by Al-Masdar.

The Syrian Arab Army's High Command demanded the release of these soldiers before the jihadists departed from east Aleppo; however, the latter denied having any hostages.

More details to come...

Comment

Parev zes hargeli Hayer. Ays im araghin posting n@.
                Ays videon DAESHi nor videon@ vor 2 had datshgagan sinvorner @n spanvum. Ays videoum datshig sinvorneri anunneren garzes asumen, minute 13:25.
                Upload and share videos instantly. It's free and simple. No signup required.

Enjoy

Comment

When Mikhail Gorbachev resigned almost exactly 25 years ago - bringing the USSR to a sudden end - he had been left with little choice by the leaders of three Soviet republics.

How three men signed the USSR's death warrant
                  By Dina Newman
                  BBC World Service

When Mikhail Gorbachev resigned almost exactly 25 years ago - bringing the USSR to a sudden end - he had been left little choice by the leaders of Russia, Ukraine and Belarus. The three men had signed a treaty 17 days earlier dissolving the Soviet Union - a momentous decision which appears to have been taken with very little planning.
                  By December 1991, the Berlin Wall and Eastern European communism were long gone. But the Soviet Union still existed, ruled by the Communist Party with Mikhail Gorbachev at its head. He had been weakened by a hardline coup in August 1991, but his biggest problem, as the year drew to a close, were the independence movements in a number of Soviet republics.
                  The USSR could survive without the Baltic republics - Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania - but not without Ukraine or Russia.
                  The newly elected president of Ukraine, Leonid Kravchuk, was looking for a way to break free from Moscow, and the president of Russia, Boris Yeltsin, was eager to wrest more power from Gorbachev. So when they agreed to meet on 8 December, with their Byelorussian counterpart, Stanislav Shushkevich, it could have been predicted that nothing good for Gorbachev would come of it.

And yet, it seems there had been no agreement in advance to deal the USSR a fatal blow.
                  Shushkevich insists that the agenda of the meeting was to discuss the oil and gas supply from Russia to Belarus over the winter.

Our economy was in crisis, we could not pay for the supplies, and had no-one to lend us the money - so we wanted to ask Russia to help us out, so that we don't freeze that winter. That was the aim of our meeting," he says. "We invited Ukraine also, because we wanted to be transparent and didn't want to do deals with Moscow behind Ukraine's back."
                  Annoyingly, our telephone conversation is constantly interrupted. Shushkevich explains that even now, a quarter of a century later, the topic of the dissolution of the USSR is still banned in Belarus. The interruptions on the phone line, he says, are the work of Belarusian secret services.
                  But Leonid Kravchuk has a completely different memory of the meeting.
                  "When Shushkevich talks about oil and gas - I have no idea what he is on about!" says the former Ukrainian leader.
                  "I hadn't been told anything about oil and gas. I thought I was going there to discuss the future of the USSR. The country was being torn apart by contradictions, its people exhausted by crises, conflicts, wars and queues. We gathered in Byelorussia to discuss where the country was heading, and perhaps to sign a petition, or a declaration, in order to draw attention to the crisis we were in."

But whatever the pre-arranged agenda all three leaders - the Russian president Boris Yeltsin included - knew that calling a meeting without informing Gorbachev first was risky.
                  "Of course the Soviet KGB could arrest us, on orders from Gorbachev - because the Soviet KGB was obviously under Gorbachev's command, not Yeltsin's," says Shushkevich.
                  "But the head of our local Byelorussian secret service, Eduard Shirkovsky, kept in touch with Yeltsin's secret services. For about a fortnight before the meeting, he had assured me daily that there was no danger of our arrest.
                  "Interestingly, later, when Shirkovsky retired and went to live in Russia, he said exactly the opposite. He expressed regret that he hadn't arrested us back in 1991! So you can see how difficult it was to tell what was going on."
                  At the end of 1991, however, these regional leaders saw Mikhail Gorbachev as largely irrelevant.
                  "Sure, he was still a figurehead, but he had no power!" says Kravchuk.
                  "After the coup against him in August 1991, he had lost power. He did come back afterwards, but he had no real power any more. We saw that the power was devolving to the leaders of the republics. Although Gorbachev had wanted to re-organise the country into a new kind of union, he could not really do it."
                  So, on 7 December 1991, the Russian leader Boris Yeltsin, Ukrainian leader Leonid Kravchuk and Byelorussian leader Stanislav Shushkevich headed for a country estate, reserved for top-level Communist officials, in Belavezha, near the Polish border.

"This was a very luxurious residence, set up to receive the top Soviet officials," says Shushkevich.
                  "As was usual for such meetings, a steam bath visit was scheduled. Normally, after the steam bath, there would be plenty of alcohol on offer - but on this occasion, instead of alcohol, we had a massage. The meeting was organised in the best Soviet traditions, with plenty of food, plenty of drink, plenty of facilities to relax, and an opportunity to go hunting."
                  The next day, on 8 December, at 09:00 the leaders, with their prime ministers and various officials in tow, gathered for the negotiations - still apparently unclear what they were about to discuss.
                  The first suggestion came from a Russian adviser, Gennadi Burbulis - and it could not have been more radical.
                  Find out more
                  the signing of the treatyImage copyrightAFP
                  Image caption
                  Kravchuk and Shushkevich (seated left), with Yeltsin (right)
                  Listen to Dina Newman's report on the signing of the treaty dissolving the USSR for Witness, on the BBC World Service
                  Explore other Witness episodes on the collapse of Soviet power
                  "I will remember this sentence to the end of my life," says Shushkevich.
                  "It is the opening statement of our agreement, the only one which was adopted without any arguments. 'The USSR, as a geopolitical reality, and as a subject of international law - has ceased to exist.' And I was the first to say that I would sign up for this."
                  The agreement would render the Soviet president Mikhail Gorbachev irrelevant, while giving more power in Moscow to Russia's president Boris Yeltsin.
                  But putting an end to the centuries-old Russian empire and its successor, the USSR, was a big step. Years later, many wondered whether the three politicians were entirely sober when taking this momentous decision?
                  "According to a popular myth, we drafted our agreement while drunk," says Shushkevich. "This is completely wrong! Of course, it was a typical Soviet arrangement, and alcohol was freely available everywhere in the residence - but no-one touched it. The most we would allow ourselves was a drop of brandy every time we adopted a new article."
                  In the next few hours, 14 articles in all were adopted. By about 15:00, the document confirming the dissolution of the USSR was ready. The next step was to inform the world, and the Byelorussian leader drew the short straw.

"Yeltsin and Kravchuk said to me jokingly: 'We have voted to nominate you to inform Gorbachev.' And then I said: 'Kravchuk and myself nominate you, Mr Yeltsin, to call your good friend, the US president George Bush.'

"I dialled Gorbachev's office in Moscow - but they wouldn't put me straight through, they kept passing me from pillar to post, and I had to explain who I was over and over again. Meanwhile, Yeltsin, seeing that I was on the phone to Moscow, dialled President Bush. [Andrei] Kozyrev, the [Russian] minister of foreign affairs, was on the other line, translating Bush's comments."
                  The Ukrainian leader Leonid Kravchuk was listening in.
                  "As far as I remember, Bush asked two questions. Will the successor state take on all the obligations of the USSR? And second, what will happen to the Soviet nuclear weapons?" says Kravchuk.
                  "We couldn't comment on the nuclear weapons, since we hadn't discussed that question yet. But with regards to the obligations, Yeltsin said, 'Yes, we will take them on.'"
                  By that time, the Byelorussian leader, Shushkevich, had finally got through to Gorbachev, and again, the Ukrainian leader was listening in.
                  "It was a difficult conversation," says Kravchuk. "Gorbachev was angry with Shushkevich, saying, 'What have you done? You have turned the whole world upside down! Everyone is alarmed!' But Shushkevich stayed calm."
                  To this day, the affable Byelorussian leader is clearly proud of the way he handled that crucial conversation with Moscow.
                  "I explained to Gorbachev the kind of document we were about to sign. He responded, rather patronisingly, 'And what about the the international community? Have you thought of their reaction?' And I answered, 'Actually, Boris Yeltsin is talking to President Bush right now - and Bush doesn't seem to mind! In fact, he is in favour!'"

During the next hour, the three leaders signed their historic document at a press conference called for the purpose. After the conference, it was time to go home - and that's when Stanislav Shushkevich got cold feet.
                  "As I was heading back home, I was listening to the radio in the car, to find out what was going on in the world. The first thing I noticed, the names Yeltsin and Kravchuk came up a lot - but when they came to my name, they couldn't pronounce it properly. 'Chuchkevich, Sheshkevich, Sharkevich,' and anything in between.
                  "And whatever frequency I tuned into I heard, over and over again, Kravchuk, Yeltsin, and sh… vich… ch… vich… and other variations on my name. And that's when I realised, we were big news. Until then, I had been so busy, I hadn't had time to think.
                  "But at that moment, I got scared. I thought: 'Eighty-two per cent of our regional parliament are Communists. If they don't ratify this agreement - I will have made a mistake, and this will be the end of my political career!'"
                  But all three regional parliaments ratified the agreement, and other Soviet republics joined in over the next couple of weeks. On 25 December, President Gorbachev resigned, and the USSR was no more.

Comment

Originally posted by Soghomonian View Post
                    Parev zes hargeli Hayer. Ays im araghin posting n@.
                    P/Bari yegak Baron Soghomonian.

Comment

This is one funny news. This latest "fake news" is an excellent tool for us Armenians to master.

"Pakistani Defense Minister threatens Israel with nuclear weapons following fake news report."

Following a fake news report, that Israel was threatening Pakistan with nuclear weapons, Pakistani Defense Minister Khawaja M. Asif tweeted that Israel had forgotten Pakistan's nuclear capabilities.

Manipulative people being face by dumb as a rock people. I wish they nuked each other.

Comment

Working...
                      X