Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Agriculture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Agriculture

What matters is how are available resources being used not an abstract output number.

It free land is available why cannot Armenian shepherds graze their sheep and become small/medium size farmers.
    Fine the more power to the shepherds, but I'm not sure we have the capacity or resources at this moment. I believe that is why Armenia is giving a lease on their land so that it can be utilized at least that is my take on it. I also think that this blockade once lifted by this new rail link is going to improve the transport of farm goods. At this moment we have no export path, we can't go to Russia with it, the two toorks are out of the question, I say this does not leave us much choice.

I want to see Armenia five years from now, there is a lot of geopolitical change, just that in itself will have a positive. However I think there are things that are being done internally that are going to mature in the next five years. The rate of change is going to be much faster, already the dram is now stable, and gaining some value. The baboon will be not only out of oil but in a blockade, without any hope what so ever. Perhaps then we can graze our own sheep, and not have to farm it out to others. For now we are getting something from this instead of nothing. I wish we were in a better position, sadly we are not, not now at least. Hope for the future Londontsi, maybe we shell see our shepherds grazing our homeland once more, that is a dream of mine as well. The reality on the ground is only presenting so many options at the moment.
    Last edited by Vahram; 02-13-2013, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vahram View Post
      Fine the more power to the shepherds, but I'm not sure we have the capacity or resources at this moment. I believe that is why Armenia is giving a lease on their land so that it can be utilized at least that is my take on it. I also think that this blockade once lifted by this new rail link is going to improve the transport of farm goods. At this moment we have no export path, we can't go to Russia with it, the two toorks are out of the question, I say this does not leave us much choice.

I want to see Armenia five years from now, there is a lot of geopolitical change, just that in itself will have a positive. However I think there are things that are being done internally that are going to mature in the next five years. The rate of change is going to be much faster, already the dram is now stable, and gaining some value. The baboon will be not only out of oil but in a blockade, without any hope what so ever. Perhaps then we can graze our own sheep, and not have to farm it out to others. For now we are getting something from this instead of nothing. I wish we were in a better position, sadly we are not, not now at least. Hope for the future Londontsi, maybe we shell see our shepherds grazing our homeland once more, that is a dream of mine as well. The reality on the ground is only presenting so many options at the moment.

I really think you should think harder.

All the things you are saying applies to the Azeri Toorks who are going to graze the sheep then take the sheep back to their country.

If they can do it having come from Iran, why can’t we do it on our home ground.

For a country that can develop its own UAV cannot graze sheep, or does not have resources !!!!! You kidding?
      Politics is not about the pursuit of morality nor what's right or wrong
      Its about self interest at personal and national level often at odds with the above.
      Great politicians pursue the National interest and small politicians personal interests

Comment

All the things you are saying applies to the Azeri Toorks who are going to graze the sheep then take the sheep back to their country.

If they can do it having come from Iran, why can’t we do it on our home ground.
        The deal is with Iran, not toorks. Second don't think that people are going to move freely, they will have to have paperwork. It's not like anybody can come and do as they please.
        For a country that can develop its own UAV cannot graze sheep, or does not have resources !!!!! You kidding?
        I am not kidding, listen to what I'm saying! You think resources are infinite? If you have a million dollars to spend, what are you going to do spend it on a UAV or a sheep? This Armenia that we are all daydreaming about is not an endless resource entity, however we may wish her to be. Given more time I'm sure there will be more Armenians sheep herding, but I hardly find this a good job

Let idiots graze sheep we can do smarter things and spend our money on UAVs

Besides the sheep have all been sold, see below for more on this sheep business.

Last edited by Vahram; 02-13-2013, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Now back to reality! Gross agricultural production totaled AMD 291,5 bln in Jan-July 2012, increasing by 10,2% as compared to the same period of 2011

http://www.panarmenian.net/eng/news/120441/
          Guys, you seem to miss a point:
          Armenians, in general, do not like to keep sheep.
          This is ethnic compatibility matter.
          Keeping sheep is very hard, non gracious life style.
          Practically it means nomadic lifestyle, at least 8 months a year. (at least keeping them on a traditional method, that is transhumance grazing, as it is widely practiced in Occupied Western Armenia, RA, NKR, and the rest of the Causasus).
          We never did it on a large scale, nor we will do in the future.
          Plus, Armenians do not like sheep meat, wich has very poor reputation (smells++), and is associated in our ethnic memory with nomadic tribes of toorks and kurds.
          In today's RA, there are virtually no sheep breeders of Armenian ethnicity.
          This job is reserved to Yezidis...
          And in my humble opinion, if we could form a thousand Armenian hovivs, and make them work in those mountains, they would do a more important job than 5000 soldiers on the frontlines...
          A couple of years ago, I was associated in a program to breed a special species of sheep, for the 'purt' (do not know english word), in the mountains of Jermuk...
          We could not find a dozen Armenian Hovivs, willing to do this job honestly on long run...
          While the job is pretty well paid, very profitable in fact...
          You can make a little fortune of it, if you work hard...
          The only option were Yezidis....
          We have to admit this reality, Armenians will never keep sheep on large scale...

Cattle is an all other matter, and we always did and will do.
          The only sheep kept in Armenian villages, are usually kept with cattle..., in small numbers.
          After the ousting of tatar nomads in 1989, the number of sheep was down 3 times...
          While cattle, pigs, or aydz remained pretty steady...

Our country was colonised in peace times by toorkish nomadic tribes, just in this same scenario... (open grazing space, why do we not let them use, plus they will sell us cheap cheese...).
          The story of the installation of nomadic tribes in Western Armenia, for the last 1000 years, is based on this.
          Unfortunately the green grass of our mountains always attracted those nomads like a magnet...
          Same happened in Eastern Armenia in XVIII-XIX centuries, that's why those kurdish tribes of Northern Iran came in Karvadjar, Kashatagh, Kashunik, Zankezur and Nakhitchevan... (to be transformed into futur azaris...)
          It did happen same style during soviet years.
          Njdeh had cleared all of Zankezur from tatars, notabely a very famous bandit nest called Keghvatzor (Keghi is a river running from the foots of Zankezur range, overlooking Gaban, to reach Voghtchi river just before Gaban). He burned down 40 villages of nomads, that used to terrorise all of Zankezur's population for more than a hundred years....
          During soviet rein, the same tatars returned, on our invitation (not Moskwa pressure, as is widely related now..), to make a profit of our grazing Alpine spaces...
          (of course, a handfull of sovkhoz/golhoz bosses, and some rayon chiefs were well bribed)... so all the job done by Njdeh was wasted, for a handfull of moterfukers...
          We had to do the job once more in 1988-89.... and with God's blessing, we managed to make them run...
          Now, the same 'party' claiming the heritage of Njdeh, is inviting the same nomads in... for the sake of the same kind of MF as was the case in the 30-s...
          Back then we had the excuse of soviet rule...
          And now what?
          In an independent Armenia, we call in our peril and install it happily, just to allow some oligarkh mafiosis to make some money...
          That's just the story...
          And it is bitterly ironic, that a group of people claiming the heritage of Njdeh, do this suicidal act...

-----
          for Vahram:
          Agricultural statistic are BS in Armenia.
          Specially comparing 2011/2012... since 2011 was a catastrofic year because of the frost... there was virtually no fruit in all Ararat valley.
          Compare 2010/2011... and look the sharp decrease...
          Last edited by Vrej1915; 02-13-2013, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Armenia’s sheep exports dropped twofold

Armenia’s sheep exports dropped twofoldFebruary 12, 2013 | 01:24

YEREVAN. – Close to 61,000 sheep were exported from Armenia in 2012, against the 115,000 in the previous year, the State Revenue Committee informs.

In the year past, one sheep was exported with a customs value of $140, whereas this was $105 in 2011. As a result, the total customs value of the sheep that were exported in 2012 made up $8.5 million, against the $12 million in 2011.

Armenia’s sheep are primarily exported to Iran, albeit the Iranian businessmen avoid importing sheep, due to the Iranian national currency’s almost fourfold devaluation, but the export gained momentum again in the last quarter of 2012. Sheep is exported to the United Arab Emirates, too.

Due to the drop in sheep exports, however, the price of sheep meat stabilized at the markets of Armenia’s capital city Yerevan.

Comment

The armenian problem. Armenians refuse to do labor intencive work then they complain when someone else is brought in to do it. Just can't please some people.
              Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Now back to reality! Gross agricultural production totaled AMD 291,5 bln in Jan-July 2012, increasing by 10,2% as compared to the same period of 2011

http://www.panarmenian.net/eng/news/120441/
                There is nothing in that report about how much is a real increase in the amount produced. It talks about an increase in THE VALUE of the production, up 10.2%. Given that world food prices have increased everywhere, its value in Armenia will also have gone up.
                Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Agricultural statistic are BS in Armenia.
                  Specially comparing 2011/2012... since 2011 was a catastrofic year because of the frost... there was virtually no fruit in all Ararat valley.
                  Compare 2010/2011... and look the sharp decrease...
                  I do see your point, however I would not go so far as to state that it is BS, after all you are referencing the stats yourself.

The armenian problem. Armenians refuse to do labor intencive work then they complain when someone else is brought in to do it. Just can't please some people.
                  Very good point, that is why I posted the video. It seems that our own shepherds were the ones who sold all the sheep in the first place. They made a lot of profit too boot, now they are complaining! This has forced the hand of the Armenian government as there are not enough Armenian sheep now. One of the farmers in the video pointed out it's going to take years to recover. So the government has leased the land, and we are now complaining. Now when we put the entire story in context we can see our faults and learn from them. We should not be over zealous in criticizing the Armenian government in this case. Either we are going to make some profit from the grazing contract or we are not. Sadly it's simple, we are going to have to make a choice one way or another. I am not happy with either choice!

There is nothing in that report about how much is a real increase in the amount produced. It talks about an increase in THE VALUE of the production, up 10.2%. Given that world food prices have increased everywhere, its value in Armenia will also have gone up.
                  Good point, I will combine it with what Verj said and get a clearer picture of the situation. Seems that there are many angles to this sheep business. One thing that is sad is that the very same Armenian shepherds we hold dear in our romantic fantasies are the ones who caused this problem.
                  Last edited by Vahram; 02-14-2013, 02:28 PM.

Comment

I do see your point, however I would not go so as to state that it is BS, after all you are referencing the stats yourself.

Very good point, that is why I posted the video. It seems that our own shepherds were the ones who sold all the sheep in the first place. They made a lot of profit too boot, now they are complaining! This has forced the hand of the Armenian government as there are not enough Armenian sheep now. One of the farmers in the video pointed out it's going to take years to recover. So the government has leased the land, and we are now complaining. Now when we put the entire story in context we can see our faults and learn from them. We should not be over zealous in criticizing the Armenian government in this case. Either we are going to make some profit from the grazing contract or we are not. Sadly it's simple, we are going to have to make a choice one way or another. I am not happy with either choice!

Good point, I will combine it with what Verj said and get a clearer picture of the situation. Seems that there are many angles to this sheep business. One thing that is sad is that the very same Armenian shepherds we hold dear in our romantic fantasies are the ones who caused this problem.
                    Vahram,
                    I suggest you to take a tour on Armenia's mountains...
                    The Shepherds do speak Armenian, but 90% or so are Yezidis.

We do not like sheep, and we will never do in the future.
                    It is a fact, whether you like it or not.

We lost 90% of our country because of this problem.
                    The only solution that seems secure: no sheep in the mountains, wich means no nomads in the mountains, wich means no turkish internal threat..; Can't you get it?
                    With a hundred years of security , nature will recover , and hopefully, if we are able to not cut them (wich is of course an other story), big parts of those pastures will be recovered by forests, as they were originally... (just like what happened in all Western Europe since end XIX cent).

I really would love to see Armenian hovivs, but there will never be, at least in this nomadic lifestyle.
                    It is ethnically/culturally non compatible with our lifestyle, our mindstyle...

The good thing with Yezidis is, that after all, Armenia is a second homeland for them, since they do not have a real Yezidiland next door, and do not cause any real danger of national security.
                    They are a persecuted minority among kurdish tribes on religious grounds, and they chose Armenia as a safe heaven...
                    Since these 2 entities are complementary (Armenians/Yezidis), and since the number of Yezidis is under control (no more than 3%), all will be OK....

Turkish or Kurdish nomad tribes (the guys coming from Iran) are evidently an other story.... (you do not seem to get the point on this, in wich case, I will suggest a tour in Adrbadagan's mountains... and you will see if you hear Persian or Turkish...)
                    All the conflict of Artsakh is rooted on this...
                    The famous transhumence problem...
                    I suggest you to read Rupen Ter Minassian's memories...
                    You will sea what happened in the Erkir, in Artsakh, in Nakhitchevan....
                    The reason why this damned tribes came to our country, was those pastures.... much more grassy than in Irak or Syria...
                    If there wasn't that grass, those tribes would have gone elsewhere...

Look at what's happening just now in Javakhk (where the mountains are covered by blue plastic tents made in Turkey..., the tatar shepherds come from occupied Northern Artsakh (Gantzak), via Treghk till Javakhk....

And those bastards do perfectly know how to bribe corrupted 'leaders' in our camp.
                    You want to find excuses to our Governement, with good heart.
                    Unfortunately, this is not the case.
                    The amount we are supposed to earn is just ridiculous... 2,5 Million USD , to jeopardize our National security...;!!!
                    Plus may be some 10 million in the Pocket of LISKA and his bosses and accomplices (the governor of Syunik, a mafiosi well known in Armenia for his part in plundering hundred of millions worth of mining products (Gold, Copper, Molibdenium, Silver...), with only kopeks remaining as taxes...).

So as a matter of fact, Liska is in no way different, than the soviet era Rayon Secretaries, who welcomed the tatars..., for a couple of million rubles in their pockets...;

-------

Now, for the sheep sold to Iranians a couple of years back.
                    First, your tape is outdated, and misrepresents the reality. (as initially there was 'panic' of depletion, as your tape showed)

As a matter of fact, the livestock did not diminish really, it remained rather stable , wich is not a hard job.
                    If we do not sell anymore, is because the Iranian money got devaluated, and now it seems, they would like to take the pastures, rather than pay us for the production of raw material...

During Soviet years, the livestock of Sheep in RA territory exceeded 2 million ( roughly 75% tatar kept, 20% Yezidi, 5% Armenian...)
                    In the territory of now NKR, that number must have been approx 1.5 million at least (85% tatar, 15 % Armenian)
                    Basically, for a "potential", in tatar hands of at least 3.5 million, we are keeping 6-7 hundred thousands (since basically, the sheep do nomadise on the 2 sides of the border NKR/RA between Jermuk/Karvadjar/Kashatagh/Vardenis...

This is exactly where the Iranian ambassador gets his number of 7 million potential..
                    Of course, in nomadic hands, you could keep that number, but you will eradicate all other agricultural potential from the country in a couple of decades... (just what happened in Western Armenia, where the nomads used to keep more than 30 million sheep, that is halved today, partly because economic reconversion/PKK problems, but essentially, because there is no more grass of same quality...-

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
                      Unfortunately, statistics are BS,for non initiated readers...
                      I remember in early 2000-s, a year where because of te draught, tzoren production was near zero.
                      All villagers got bankrupted all over NKR and most of RA...
                      Yet statistically, we produced something like 450.000 tons...(a very fantastic number for us, near record) : to understand it, you must have known, that the famous Malatiayi Samo, is the monopolist of wheat import, and he avoided declaring 300.000 tons to the customs... do you get the point?

Yet again, some truth can be found, once decoded.
                      Reason why I do quote it, and do explain, the sharp dropp of fruit harvest in 2011, and relative recovery to normal in 2012...
                      Last edited by Vrej1915; 02-14-2013, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X