Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Tensions rising....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tensions rising....

The brutal assassination of Lieutenant Gurgen Margaryan is causing a huge stir in Armenians. More and more people are saying that Azerbaidjan is preparing for war. Official Armenia's stance seems to be "we won't ever start a war, but we'll damn well kick their @$$es if they start it". This is the first time I recall such tension between Armenia and Azerbaidjan ever since the signing of the cease fire in 1994. Anyone think this will spark a war?

An article from (I think) the Pan-Armenian news network said that Europe was responsible for the murder because they have never reacted to the azeris' constant insults and calls to violence, because of Europe's own interests. Pretty good point.

Further proves Charents right, when he said "Ov Hye joghovoort, ko miag prgootyoon ko havakagan ooji mech e".

We should try to be on the best terms possible with NATO, the EU, the States, Russia, etc...but in the end, we must all remember that for them, we are only pions that they must and will manipulate for their own interests. Nobody even said anything that condemned Azerbaidjan's stance in all of this. They just "expressed their sympathy" and other such bull. Armenians everywhere must take decisive actions to promote unity, because times are getting quite scary....

"Hundreds" attend Armenian officer's funeral in Yerevan

Noyan Tapan news agency
    28 Feb 04

YEREVAN

The funeral of the lieutenant of the Armenian armed forces, Gurgen Markaryan, who was hacked to death while asleep by Azerbaijani officer Ramil Safarov, was held in the Yerablur pantheon on 28 February. The killing was committed on 19 February in Hungary where the two officers were on a visit within the framework of NATO's Partnership for Peace programme.

Hundreds of people paid their last respects to Markaryan: relatives, senior officials of the Armenian Defence Ministry, colleagues, members of parliament and government, many NGOs that unite the relatives of killed azatamartiks [freedom fighters] and simply people who were shocked by the incident.

"We came to tell the Azeris that we are not cowards and do not kill anyone while they are asleep, but if necessary, we will all stand united to defend our motherland," the chairwoman of the Call of Pang organization, Anaid Sarkisyan, said on behalf of the mothers of killed azatamartiks. Flora Zakaryan, mother of Agasi Shaginyan who was killed in the war, said in tears: "It is as though I am burying my own son for the second time. The whole world must know about this crime."
    "When I heard about this crime, I wanted to take up arms. If
    necessary, I will go to war. I won't chop off anyone's heads, but I'll shoot as much as I can," said Garib Melkonyan, father of the deceased Lyudvig Melkonyan.

Armenian Defence Minister Serzh Sarkisyan said in his address to a rally of mourning that this murder, which is unprecedented for its brutality, is a consequence of intensifying anti-Armenian propaganda in Azerbaijan. He pointed out that public organizations, which are creating an atmosphere of intolerance, are supported and assisted by the Azerbaijani authorities and that military programmes for training officers contain elements of hatred and fan the flames of bellicose moods.

Sarkisyan said that anti-Armenian propaganda has moved to
    international programmes. Azerbaijan first banned Armenian officers from visiting Baku within the framework of a NATO programme, and now murder has been committed within the framework of the same NATO programme. According to Sarkisyan, the international community will give an appropriate assessment of the incident, otherwise the political settlement of the Karabakh issue will suffer a setback.

All speakers emphasized the moral side of what is going on in
    Azerbaijan, where a cowardly murderer who hacked his counterpart to death while asleep has been declared a hero. "This crime demonstrated to the whole world that an officer of the Azerbaijani army has no honour. Armenian officers had not committed such a base crime - killing someone while they are asleep, even during the war," Lt-Col Nazaryan said.

You are right. We are nothing more than peons to them. But we must play it as smartly as we can.

God forbid there is a war but that is what people in Armenia think is going to happen.
    I am beginning to think that we will not be able to end this conflict without resumption of hostilities. They have gotten a thought into their head over there that they didnt get their asses beat the first time around and they are now very unwilling to make any sacrifices. We won the war and will not settle without kharabakh either being part of Armenia or being independant. Obviously there is a big gap. I think we have to remind them that we achieved victory and that they are crazy if they think they are going to gte any of the terittories around kharabakh back without kharabakh getting the status we want. Now i dont want war because God knows what consequences it had on the nation before and i am afraid it will set back what we have achieved in the nation to this day. If they start we definately will kick their dirty turk a$$es.

Comment

I don't know what to think anymore...

This whole issue seems to be going nowhere. You seriously do get the sense that violence would be the most effective way out. But we can't allow that to happen. We can't sink to their level. We won the war, we saved Artsakh, and that's the way it'll stay.

Maybe if the status quo is kept long enough, and Armenia and Artsakh develop stable economies, the international community and the azeris will have no other choice but to finally accept Artsakh's independance (or ideally, reattachment to Armenia)?
      But how long can we seriously live in this uncertainty, and constant threats? Can Artsakh honestly develop freely when there is always the risk of a crazed turk instigating a war?

And the EU still talking about giving back occupied territories...it's as if they don't care at all if giving back those territories will endanger the lives of every man, woman and child living in Artsakh.

And the Armenians still b*tching about party politics....though I was glad to see that in cases like this (Margaryan's assassination), they are able to take a common stance. Hopefully the opposition can turn into a credible one (same goes for the government)...

All I know is that if, God forbid, war broke out, it would be impossible for me to stay here and keep living my canadian life. I'd rather kill myself.

Akh, I'm getting all confused and worried here...
      Last edited by xBaron Dants; 02-29-2004, 08:36 PM.

Comment

I doubt this is sufficient to spark a war, but in my humble opinion, a war is the last thing the average people in Armenia need or want.

More war. More youngsters dying. Armenians are already on a low birthrate, and emigrating as well. This is not the answer. War is not healthy for the people, but for the State. War is only going to worsen Armenia's situation.

However, if war comes to Armenia, Armenia will have no choice but to fight back. Otherwise, I believe Armenia should keep a neutral stance.

But then again, what does all this matter if higher powers that be in the echelons of global politics have already decided the fate of the little peoples of the world.
        Achkerov kute.

Comment

Eh, Armenia has made it clear that they will never start a war. But Azerbaidjan is showing every sign of barbarism that can be shown.

Of course I will never encourage war, and am scared to death by the mere thought of it. I am just reading more and more articles that mention war, and it bothers me...a lot.

Dear God, why couldn't we have more normal neighbours?

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Dants Eh, Armenia has made it clear that they will never start a war. But Azerbaidjan is showing every sign of barbarism that can be shown.
            When have they not shown a sign of barbarism?

Originally posted by Baron Dants Of course I will never encourage war, and am scared to death by the mere thought of it. I am just reading more and more articles that mention war, and it bothers me...a lot.

Dear God, why couldn't we have more normal neighbours?
            Don't worry, it is just emotional responses that people are responding with. It would be more prudent to remain, cool, calm, and collected. Besides, Kharabagh are highlands, and it ain't easy to take, so any war that begins an offensive on a mountainous terrain from below to above, is very difficult and most of the time fails, unless they have really superior forces.

Take a look at the battle of Bunker Hill in which the few American Revolutionary forces withstood the whole British offensive for quite a while before giving up the territory.
            Achkerov kute.

Comment

Bah, never will I doubt Armenian victory if the azeris decide to attack. I just don't want to see one more young man die at the hands of those people. In Artsakh this summer, the fedayis were telling us how a dozen men were able to protect the whole village from the azeri forces. We have gotten only stronger since then.

And kudos to the Armenians who, despite all the emotions involved, have actually spoken more of peace than the azeri lakots, who have the guts to turn such a coward into a hero. Tells a lot about their history and values. And the international community still not saying anything...

We have a long road ahead.

Comment

My neighbor was telling me how when he served in the Army back in the day when it was still the USSR, that the Azeris never had any guts by themselves, only in sheer numbers they would somehow feel "superior".

Anyway, this guy is in his 40s, but a very huge Armenian mountain man, and he was telling me how he'd punk these Azeri's around when he was in army. It was pretty funny.
                Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse My neighbor was telling me how when he served in the Army back in the day when it was still the USSR, that the Azeris never had any guts by themselves, only in sheer numbers they would somehow feel "superior".

Anyway, this guy is in his 40s, but a very huge Armenian mountain man, and he was telling me how he'd punk these Azeri's around when he was in army. It was pretty funny.
                  Haha. Fedayis rock. You feel so safe when you're around them. I mean, some of these guys had lost their sons or fathers in the war, and are always ready to defend their homes again.

That also plays in our advantage. Armenians volunteered in the war because they were defending their own, and defending their homes. The azeris were just being sent to war because...well, that's what azeris do.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Dants The azeris were just being sent to war because...well, that's what azeris do.
                    Genius. Must be in the genes, as your mum probably told you theyre sons of wolves arent they???

jesus christ, this war mongering talk is disgusting.

You go to those whose sons were lost in ARmenia during the war and ask them if they want war
                    Go ask those whose family starved because money was being spent on war and not on bread

I wonder who wants a war more, the armenian capitalist who is gonna make huge profits in armaments in the war, or the silly 15 year old dashnak in LA who is singing songs of war the other side of the globe from Kharabagh...puzzling

Comment

Working...
                    X