Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Armenian Government, Opposition Declare Shaky Truce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armenian Government, Opposition Declare Shaky Truce

ARMENIAN GOVERNMENT, OPPOSITION DECLARE SHAKY TRUCE
    Emil Danielyan: 5/10/04

Armenia’s leadership and its political opponents have begun talks to resolve their bitter confrontation over the rule of President Robert Kocharian. The move has brought a temporary lull to the month-long political crisis sparked by the opposition’s attempt to remove Kocharian from office.

The negotiations are taking place amidst a 10-day moratorium imposed by the country’s two main opposition groups on the anti-government rallies which have been held in the capital, Yerevan, since the beginning of April. The alliance and the National Unity Party (AMK) state that the protests were suspended to give the government time to stop its crackdown on protest participants and opposition supporters. The moratorium will expire on May 14.

Talks between leaders of Justice and the AMK and the three pro-Kocharian parties making up Armenia’s coalition government began on May 6 and will continue this week. The participants have issued a brief statement saying that they agree on "the need to create a new situation in the country" and have approved a long list of issues to be discussed during the dialogue.

But so far, few local analysts expect the dialogue to yield an agreement to compromise. The opposition and government remain far apart on the key issue driving their dispute -- the legitimacy of Robert Kocharian’s presidency. The opposition maintains that Kocharian rigged last year’s presidential election to win a second term in office and is therefore "illegitimate." His loyalists deny the charges, saying that widespread fraud reported by international observers was not serious enough to affect the election outcome.

The long-standing opposition demand for a "referendum of confidence" in Kocharian -- one of the main issues to be discussed in the talks -- illustrates this divide.

This idea was first floated by Armenia’s Constitutional Court in the wake of the February-March 2003 presidential ballot and has since been heavily exploited by the opposition. Kocharian and his loyalists have categorically rejected it as unconstitutional. In parliament earlier this year, they refused all discussion of the issue. Kocharian’s supporters now say they are ready to discuss the measure’s "legality," while indicating they will not agree to hold the proposed referendum. "If the opposition continues to insist on the referendum, no dialogue will be possible," a leader of the governing Armenian Revolutionary Federation, Armen Rustamian, said this past weekend.

The opposition, on the other hand, says a regime change "without upheavals" must be the basis of the crisis talks. "Our view remains the same: Robert Kocharian must either resign or be dismissed or we will hold a kind of referendum of confidence together with you," Justice’s Albert Bazeyan told thousands of supporters as they rallied in Yerevan on May 4.

Both sides are keen to show that they are following the recommendations made by the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE). In a resolution on the political situation in Armenia adopted on April 28, the PACE urged the government and opposition to embark on a "dialogue without preconditions." As the Yerevan daily "Haykakan Zhamanak" commented, neither Armenian authorities nor their foes want to appear the recalcitrant party in the eyes of the Strasbourg-based, pan-European organization.

Each of the parties has interpreted the PACE resolution as vindicating its own position in the standoff. The presidential camp argues that the document did not endorse the referendum of confidence and made clear that the 2003 election irregularities "did not decisively change the outcome of the elections nor invalidate their final results."

The opposition, for its part, points to the PACE’s threat to impose sanctions on Armenia if it fails to lift "unjustified restrictions" on peaceful demonstrations, release individuals detained for their participation in the anti-Kocharian rallies and investigate the "human rights abuses alleged against the Kocharian government. The resolution mandates that Armenian authorities report back to the European parliament by June about the status of their investigations and prosecutions of those found responsible for violation of citizens’ rights.

Since the campaign of street protests began on April 7, hundreds of opposition activists and their supporters nationwide have reportedly been harassed, detained and jailed. The crackdown was strongly condemned by Human Rights Watch last week. "The Armenian government is repeating the same sorts of abuses that called into question the legitimacy of last year’s election and sparked the protests in the first place," Rachel Denber, acting executive director of HRW’s New Europe and Central Asia division, said in a May 4 statement. "The cycle of repression must end."

In a separate 21-page report, the New York-based watchdog group provided a detailed account of the "mass arrest and police violence against opposition supporters." It singled out the brutal break-up of an opposition rally on Yerevan’s Marshal Baghramian Avenue leading to Kocharian’s residence on the night from April 12-13. Riot police used water cannons, stun grenades and, according to some witnesses, electric-shock equipment to disperse the crowd of between 2,000 and 3,000 protesters. The police arrested and seriously injured at least 115 people and ransacked the offices of the three main opposition parties, the report states.

Despite the PACE and HRW criticisms, the authorities last week continued to arrest dozens of participants in unsanctioned protests and to sentence some of them to up to 15 days in prison under Armenia’s Soviet-era Code of Administrative Offenses. They also restricted provincial residents’ access to Yerevan ahead of a May 4 opposition rally, effectively ignoring the PACE demand to "guarantee freedom of movement inside Armenia."

The Justice and AMK leaders have given Kocharian until May 14 to end the crackdown and release all "political prisoners." What they will do if those demands are not met, though, is not yet clear. Another march towards the presidential palace remains a possibility, even though opposition members have twice delayed it. The postponement of the march has prompted some commentators to conclude that their bid to emulate the Georgian experience has already failed.

"We never intended to repeat the Georgian scenario here," opposition leader and former Prime Minister Aram Sarkisian, told EurasiaNet on May 4 while he and his allies led about 10,000 people in a march towards the Armenian police headquarters. "First of all, because Robert Kocharian is very far from being a [deposed Georgian President Eduard] Shevardnadze in terms of his commitment to democracy and popularity; secondly, today’s rally showed that we are gaining momentum, not losing it."

Even if no "decisive action" results from this week’s talks, Sarkisan said, the opposition will press on with its protests. "What else can the people do apart from gathering, expressing their views and holding marches?"

Editor’s Note: Emil Danielyan is a Yerevan-based journalist and political analyst.

Would the situation in Armenia really change that drastically (for the good) if there was another president in place? I mean, it would definately help... but there are so many outside forces working against us. However, with stronger leadership, perhaps those outside forces will back off... Baron, you're much more knowledgable when it comes to this sort of thing, what's your commentary?
    "All I know is I'm not a Marxist." -Karl Marx

Comment

Originally posted by HyeJinx1984
      Would the situation in Armenia really change that drastically (for the good) if there was another president in place? I mean, it would definately help... but there are so many outside forces working against us. However, with stronger leadership, perhaps those outside forces will back off... Baron, you're much more knowledgable when it comes to this sort of thing, what's your commentary?
      Would the situation improve if we had another president? I'm not that convinced.

If you look around the Armenian opposition, you find:
      a) Stepan "famous because of my father" Demirchian, who couldn't win a debate even if it were against a table.
      b) Aram "famous because of my brother" Sargsian, who wines about corruption all the time, forgetting that as a 100 000 dollar-a-year president of a cement factory (that's his DECLARED income btw, imagine the undeclared one...), he refused to pay taxes until his late brother forced him to.
      c) Artashes "the Lunatic" Geghamyan, whose only "advantage" would be his experience in the former communist regime (whatever that is worth now). He might have had the support of Moscow (since he practically wanted Armenia to be PART of Russia), and lost even that while unsuccessfully trying to please the Americans.

For the moment, and sad as it may be, I can't see anyone in Armenia being more competent than Kocharian. Anybody who thinks that Demirchian yevayln can remain stronger than Kocharian against ouside forces would have a real hard time proving it.

Comment

What about Ter Petrossian? I heard a lot of good things and bad things about him. Is Kocharian doing a better job or worse job? Was Ter Petrossian a worthy president?

Comment

Originally posted by jgm1975
          What about Ter Petrossian? I heard a lot of good things and bad things about him. Is Kocharian doing a better job or worse job? Was Ter Petrossian a worthy president?
          Ter Petrossian was a Jew.

Comment

Armenia either needs the iron force of a dictator, or no ruler at all, because all theoretical governments aside, there are either despotisms or anarchy.
            Achkerov kute.

Comment

What about Ter Petrossian?
              Been there, done that, wasn't impressed. NEEEEXT!

Kocharian, in my humble opinion, has been doing a lot better than LTP, though to be fair, LTP had a much tougher situation to handle.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Dants
                Been there, done that, wasn't impressed. NEEEEXT!
                What specific policies or actions were the problem? Was corruption, his handling of the Karabakh situation or his economic policies the main problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse
                  Armenia either needs the iron force of a dictator, or no ruler at all, because all theoretical governments aside, there are either despotisms or anarchy.
                  This is politically incorrect, but the irony is that is might be very true. I also feel many times, that given the situation at hand, Armenia needs such a ruler. The problem is that intellectually weak-minded individuals are quick to accuse those who defend this point of view of being anti-democratic, as if they have anything concrete to offer.
                  What Armenia really needs, and sorry if I am offending people, is an Armenian version of Kemal Ataturk, someone who will rule with an iron fist to eliminate corruption, bring modernism and secularism and the division of Church and State (so that we do not have this ridiculously insane and crazy Catholicosate of Cilicia vs. Catholicosate of Armenia rivalry dividing Armenians worldwide), and reform the Armenian language to have a single stream rather than two where Armenians can not even agree on what constitutes a "B" or a "D". Ataturk united the Turks and gave them the principles that they still live by to this day. We also need such a ruler who will unite Armenians worldwide, but I must admit I do not see who on Earth can fill this role and how this would be feasible. Armenians have always served foreign leaders better than their own leaders. And the loyalty of Armenians has always been a problem for various Armenian rulers. In an army there can only be one general, not many.

Comment

What specific policies or actions were the problem? Was corruption, his handling of the Karabakh situation or his economic policies the main problem?
                    I don't think we can blame him for anything Artsakh-related, as no matter what anyone says, we were able to free Artsakh under his presidency.

My main beef against him, I guess, is that the HHSh was a group with such potential, who started out so well, with our young intellectuals grouping up, and ended up soiled in corruption.

I also feel he was too soft with Turkey....but then again, some might say that he was just trying to guarantee that his population wouldn't die from starvation.

I don't see any reason why we should go back to him though. Bring in the new!

Comment

Working...
                    X