Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Azerbaijani threats against Armenia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess it is surprising to some, but you gotta remmeber, I've only been paying attention to Armenian issues for maybe 2 or 3 months... sad as it sounds, from your post is where I learned Armenia's president is named Kocharian. We'll make Azerbaijan regret it? I like hearing talk like that...

Speaking of getting lands back, it only really makes sense if there is a large Armenian population living there. For example, I guess it would be nice to get Nikhavidjian (Yea, I butchered that) back, but from what I've read up on, it says there's no Armenian population there what so ever... however, many of the "Azerbaijani" lands bordering Armenia (and in fact ARE Armenian lands) still have a large Armenian population right?
    "All I know is I'm not a Marxist." -Karl Marx

Comment

Nakhitchevan was ethnically cleansed of its Armenian population during the Soviet era. In fact, Gorbatchev and the Soviets were also beginning the same process in Karabakh, sending Soviet troops to assist Azeri irregulars in an attempt to "settle" the Karabakh question once and for all (the Soviets hated any form of unrest). Once the failed coup in Moscow took place in 1991, along with the end of the Soviet Union, the Azeri thugs no longer had the Soviet Army assisting them. In fact, many Soviet troops left their military equipment to the Armenians, because they were actually sympathetic to the Armenian cause, unlike Gorbatchev. Regarding the Azeri lands bordering Armenia, there is no longer any minorities on any side of the border. The few Azeris that were in Armenia left (except for a handful in Zangezur, I think), while the few Armenians in Azerbaijan outside of Karabakh left as well. But these were very small population movements.

Also, I have a question about all of the tough talk coming from Armenian leaders. Are they genuine or are they more designed to divert attention away from the chronic political and economic problems in Armenia? After all, taking on an external enemy to build popularity at home is a well-known political tactic. Just wondering...

Comment

Well, in my opinion, it was time to say something, the Azeris have been laying bs on top of bs for about four years, we can take Artsakh back and what not. It's nice for the govt. to show some balls for a change.

Comment

Turkey has oil. Azerbaijan has oil. How come Armenia doesn't have oil? Or have we just not looked yet? Sometimes I wonder if it's god's cruel trick to place all the earth's natural resources in muslim lands, forcing them to be allies with the world's superpower while leaving the decent people who have no political power to suffer.

Comment

Have you guys seen that Simpsons where the school finds oil but Mr. Burns drills sideways and steals it, hehe, sorry the last post made me think about that.

Comment

LOL I say we start some sideways drilling!

Comment

Originally posted by HyeJinx1984
                Turkey has oil. Azerbaijan has oil. How come Armenia doesn't have oil? Or have we just not looked yet? Sometimes I wonder if it's god's cruel trick to place all the earth's natural resources in muslim lands, forcing them to be allies with the world's superpower while leaving the decent people who have no political power to suffer.
                Turkey does not have any oil, unless I am mistaken. Also, most oil reserves in the world are offshore or near major waterways, such as the Gulf of Mexico, the Persian Gulf, and the Caspian Sea. Azeri oil is located offshore in the Caspian. The problem is that Armenia is, and has been throughout its history, a land-locked country (i.e. with no coast). This has created bad strategic consequences economically, but also culturally and politically. Sure the mountains provide good hideouts, but the sea gives you access to the world.
                Finally for the oil, we can always hope that alternative energy sources are developed so that 30-40 years from now, oil reserves become as irrelevant as sand. It is either that or our global environmental problems will become worse.

Comment

I was under the impression Turkey had oil, which is why they are an American ally. if they don't have oil, while is they and the U.S. giving each other so much good head?

Comment

Originally posted by HyeJinx1984
                    I was under the impression Turkey had oil, which is why they are an American ally. if they don't have oil, while is they and the U.S. giving each other so much good head?
                    It would take pages to answer this question. But here are some quick points:

- Turkey is part of NATO and was a reliable US ally during the cold war.

- Turkey, as a market of some 71 million people, provides good business opportunities for US companies.

- Turkey is one of the very rare Islamic countries that is also secular and "democratic". The US wants to use Turkey as a model for other Islamic countries, especially the Arab ones, that are threatened by Islamic fundamentalism. It especially wants to present Turkey as an alternative to Iran where they have an Islamic regime.

- Turkey is home to a couple of US air bases that it needs.

- Turkey is in a tough neighborhood. The Middle East has oil reserves and is the frontline of Washington's conflict with Islamic fundamentalists. As such, it needs Turkey as a reliable ally.

Most of the points described above did not fall out of the blue. The Turks were politically able throughout the centuries to adopt the political trend that suited them well. During the Ottoman Empire, they had control over the Islamic holy sites, and portrayed the Empire as divinely inspired. After WWI, they went the Western route, and did not waiver in their pro-American allegiance during the Cold War, unlike rival Greece which had a strong local communist party that made Washington nervous. After the end of the Cold War, they established a strategic relationship with Israel to preserve the support of the US, sensing that they may not be so useful to the US with the disappearance of the Soviet threat. Their political pragmatism is their greatest strength. I once heard an expression that I found quite interesting. It went something like this: "99% of Turks are dumb and 1% are clever, while 99% of Armenians are clever and 1% are dumb. But in both cases, it is the 1% that is in power". Maybe the statement is exaggerated but it summarizes well the fact that Turks had able leaders throughout their history who were not contested.
                    Last edited by jgm1975; 08-11-2004, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Re: Azerbaijani threats against Armenia

Azerbaijan to buy 10 pilotless reconnaissance aircrafts from Israel
                      05 June 2008 [10:59] - Today.Az

Azerbaijan's Defense Ministry intends to buy 10 multi-mission pilotless reconnaissance aircrafts Hermes 450 from Israeli Silver Arrow company, reports GPSearch.Org with reference to a source from the Defense Ministry of Azerbaijan.

As is reported "the purchased pilotless aircrafts will be used to control the areas, occupied by Armenians".

"While selecting the technique, we took into account its "invisibility" for the enemy's air defense", said the source.

The reference of the AirWar.ru website says: "Hermes 450 is a multi-mission pilotless aircraft, invented by Israeli Silver Arrow. It is designed for observation, patrol, reconnaissance and correction of fire support as well as communication maintenance during hostilities. Hermes 450 is designed of composite materials, which makes it difficult to reveal it by enemy's air defense systems. It flies in the autonomous regime by using GPS fata. Hermes 450 flies and lands from the low prepared landing strip extending to up to 350 meters".

/Day.Az/

from http://www.today.az/news/politics/45453.html
                      Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

Working...
                      X