Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

European Union or Russia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anushik, dont you see how Russia is the one deciding practically all of Armenia's foreign policy now? that is the problem. It is definately not the US deciding "how we should operate." But dont worry about the US attacking Iran anytime soon, they barely have enough soldiers to hold down Iraq and have spent countless billions trying to stabilize it I dont think anyone in the government will be crazy enough to try to invade Iran whose military is countless tmes stronger than Saddams was in 2003 and who populations is more than twice Iraq's.
    Now, my whole point is that we wont need anyone from outside to come and guard our borders if we are in the EU. Nowadays a nations would have to be governed by maniacs to even think about attacking an EU country. The organization is very close knit and helps its members incredibly. We will have the word and fist of the EU and i would like to see the backward azeris or the turks, who themselves are trying to get in, to even step a foot into Armenia, they would be demolished both economically, on the world stage and militarily.

I am actually in New York, and no offense but South Carolina isnt exactly the most exposed or educated part of the US, a lot of white trash from what i have heard. Just make it your mission to educate people as much as you can, imagine how much more recognition and respect we would have if we were part of the EU, when you make it, you are basically getting a stamp that says your nation has made it and has a functioning society. We cant look back to Russia and its old mentality, and what your professor said just goes further to prove my point, it is decades of Russian domination that put things like this into peoples heads, even today, when people talk offhandedly they refer to the CCCP as Russia a lot of times, not the Soviet Union. The fact that Russias government thinks Armenia IS one of its cities or provinces or whatever you want to call it, is the problem.

ciao

Comment

Originally posted by TigranJamharian
      Anushik, dont you see how Russia is the one deciding practically all of Armenia's foreign policy now? that is the problem. It is definately not the US deciding "how we should operate." But dont worry about the US attacking Iran anytime soon, they barely have enough soldiers to hold down Iraq and have spent countless billions trying to stabilize it I dont think anyone in the government will be crazy enough to try to invade Iran whose military is countless tmes stronger than Saddams was in 2003 and who populations is more than twice Iraq's.
      Now, my whole point is that we wont need anyone from outside to come and guard our borders if we are in the EU. Nowadays a nations would have to be governed by maniacs to even think about attacking an EU country. The organization is very close knit and helps its members incredibly. We will have the word and fist of the EU and i would like to see the backward azeris or the turks, who themselves are trying to get in, to even step a foot into Armenia, they would be demolished both economically, on the world stage and militarily.

I am actually in New York, and no offense but South Carolina isnt exactly the most exposed or educated part of the US, a lot of white trash from what i have heard. Just make it your mission to educate people as much as you can, imagine how much more recognition and respect we would have if we were part of the EU, when you make it, you are basically getting a stamp that says your nation has made it and has a functioning society. We cant look back to Russia and its old mentality, and what your professor said just goes further to prove my point, it is decades of Russian domination that put things like this into peoples heads, even today, when people talk offhandedly they refer to the CCCP as Russia a lot of times, not the Soviet Union. The fact that Russias government thinks Armenia IS one of its cities or provinces or whatever you want to call it, is the problem.

ciao
      Tigran, my Armenian compatriot and fellow thinker, the problems involved in your logic is saturated by a vivid lack of knowlegde about the importance of national psycology. You need to understand that the United States is a country with no moral stability. It's the most undependable one among all. It has a national mentality of a "prostitute". The people here, even the nicest ones, are "prostitutes" deep in their heart and soul! Our cultures are very different. America's main political philosophy is pragmatism, which literally means "If you give me 100$, I'll let you "love" my wife, if not, maybe your brother will!". The more we Armenians get closer to this dirt called the "new world", the more unhappy we will become! Remember, you are the grandson of Haik! You, good or bad, are much higher than this! National chauvinism is not what I'm professing now, I just want to help you think about this issue more deeply.
      Last edited by Metsamor; 01-19-2005, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TigranJamharian
        I am actually in New York, and no offense but South Carolina isnt exactly the most exposed or educated part of the US, a lot of white trash from what i have heard.
        I completely agree with you... SC is not one of the educated states, it's really far to become educated... me and my friend call it "our little village" ... actually when I came here one of my neighbors wanted to teach me how to use phone... that was really interesting experience... or another time she showed me gas station and told me really slowly "Anush, this is a g-a-s s-t-a-t-i-o-n....".... after some time she told me "WOW, you Armenians have and know everything..." ...
        Maybe everybody knows about Armenia in big cities, but when you look at the whole country, that picture is changing... all my other friends had hard time with introducing our country...

Comment

Armenians differ. The ones in Los Angeles do not have a good reputation with the Mexicans, but then again, they are just Mexicans.

Comment

Even though this is news, it relates to our discussion so I'm posting it here:
            Friday 21, January 2005
            Armenia’s Trade With EU Continues To Grow

By Atom Markarian

Armenia’s trade with the European Union registered a further increase in the course of last year at the expense of dwindling commercial ties with Russia and other former Soviet republics, according the latest government data.

Figures released by the National Statistical Service show that the 25 EU countries accounted for 36.5 percent of Armenia’s external trade that exceeded $2 billion in 2004. Russia’s share in it was only 12.5 percent. It was twice as higher a few years ago.

Russian President Vladimir Putin expressed concern at the downward trend during talks with his Armenian counterpart Robert Kocharian last August.

Russian and Armenian officials admit that the absence of rail connection is a serious impediment to the development of economic ties between their nations that have no common border. They hope that the upcoming launch of a rail ferry service between Russian and Georgian Black Sea ports will reduce high transportation costs and thereby reverse the trend.

The volume of Russian-Armenian trade fell by 13 percent in 2004. By contrast, the Armenia-EU commercial exchange was 10 percent up from the 2003 level.
            Armenian Liberty
            They say the reason for this trade decline is that Armenia doesn't have a common border with Russia, true... but does it have a common border with ANY of the EU members?

Comment

Originally posted by CatWoman
              Even though this is news, it relates to our discussion so I'm posting it here:

They say the reason for this trade decline is that Armenia doesn't have a common border with Russia, true... but does it have a common border with ANY of the EU members?
              how funny, i was thinking of posting it here too when I read it. nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Metsamor
                Tigran, my Armenian compatriot and fellow thinker, the problems involved in your logic is saturated by a vivid lack of knowlegde about the importance of national psycology. You need to understand that the United States is a country with no moral stability. It's the most undependable one among all. It has a national mentality of a "prostitute". The people here, even the nicest ones, are "prostitutes" deep in their heart and soul! Our cultures are very different. America's main political philosophy is pragmatism, which literally means "If you give me 100$, I'll let you "love" my wife, if not, maybe your brother will!". The more we Armenians get closer to this dirt called the "new world", the more unhappy we will become! Remember, you are the grandson of Haik! You, good or bad, are much higher than this! National chauvinism is not what I'm professing now, I just want to help you think about this issue more deeply.
                There is nothing wrong with national chauvinism. I understand what you are saying but I honestly fail to see how this in any significant way should affect the realistic national foreign policy of a nation, especially a nation such as Armenia who has no room to look at the psychology of the population of a "partner" nation, any nation or group of nation that could help us develop and in the future not have to rely on prostitution, which is essentially our foreign policy now. All that aside, we are talking about the EU aren't we? Unless you think the same thing applies.

Comment

As of late Armenia has been caught between it's old ally Russia and the US, both of whom are basically vying for influence over various countries. Sadly Russia has been losing out so perhaps it'd help Armenia to jump ship, but I think the US is just gaining extra influence just to have it and really dominate the world, and clearly don't have our best interests at heart, which makes me very wary of my own country. They want to control Armenia so it can get a Karabakh solution that favors Azerbaijan, which is already has more influence on and then the US will be free to get plenty of oil. A strong US influnce in the region wants a weak Armenia, which is why I think we can't cut ties with Russia, at least not until Karabakh is settled.

Comment

When we speak of people who think they know what they are talking about, we should always have a link for this thread.
                    Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Metsamor

This is such crap.

Comment

Working...
                      X