Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

President Ahmadinejad and Pan-Turkism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: President Ahmadinejad and Pan-Turkism

Originally posted by ARK
    How do u know the situation in Iran is getting worse? Do u live there?

If we consider it a reality and not a stereotype, explain more in which ways,it is getting worse?
    I grew up there. I also know several people who currently live there and others who travel there often. So my opinion is not just based on what I see and read in the various media, but also from first hand accounts on what is actually going on there.

By "getting worse" I mean back pedalling slowly to the situation they had there right after the revolution in the early 80's. In recent years, when Khatami was around, things had been getting much better in terms of progress and better relations with the west. People had more freedoms, and the entire country was slowly opening up to the rest of the world. Now, it's again back to the "everything west is bad" and lets close all our eyes and ears, stick up our rears away from Mecca, and continue to pray to Allah, treat our women like property, and live as if we are in the stone ages.

... but worst of all, they are again riding their high horse about how much better than "America" they are and that ANYTHING anti-them must be destroyed. THAT is what will eventually lead to the destruction of what might be an Iran that has a slight hope of joining the rest of the world in the 21st century and beyond. They have the oil, they have vast resources, they have the brains ... but they just need the right leadership to go away from this idiotic non-advancing driven "fundamentalism" to more of a "progress oriented" ideology. I'm not saying they should abandon their religion or culture but this isolationist "us vs. them" is always under the category of "getting worse" in my book.
    Last edited by Sip; 08-15-2006, 10:48 AM.
    this post = teh win.

Comment

I just want to add that the current Islam in Iran is an Azeri Turk version of Islam established by Saffavids Azeri Turks in 16 century.
      Persians and Hollywood
      http://oslonor.blogspot.com

A Google Blog

Comment

Originally posted by ARK
        I assure everybody in this forum that you can never tell apart an Iranian so-called azeri(their real origin is medes) from a Persian. It is not possible in any way. An Iranian is an Iranian ideologically, culturally and in all ways regardless of the origin.
        Azeri Turks claim that a Persian and an Azeri Turk are the same people: This is a claim by Azeri Turks from Tehran. The reason for this claim is that %70 of Tehran population are Azeri Turks. Some people are arbitarily called Persian and some are called Azeri turks. In reality all of them are Azeri Turks. There three ways to tell apart a Persian from Azeri Turk. 1. appearance. 2. language. 3. Culture. As Azeri Turks do not understand Persian culture they imagine once they can speak fluent Persian language, then they are Persians. Only natives of Iran can tell the difference between the culture of an Azeri turk and a Persian.
        Persians and Hollywood
        http://oslonor.blogspot.com

A Google Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Sip
          I grew up there. I also know several people who currently live there and others who travel there often. So my opinion is not just based on what I see and read in the various media, but also from first hand accounts on what is actually going on there.

By "getting worse" I mean back pedalling slowly to the situation they had there right after the revolution in the early 80's. In recent years, when Khatami was around, things had been getting much better in terms of progress and better relations with the west. People had more freedoms, and the entire country was slowly opening up to the rest of the world. Now, it's again back to the "everything west is bad" and lets close all our eyes and ears, stick up our rears away from Mecca, and continue to pray to Allah, treat our women like property, and live as if we are in the stone ages.

... but worst of all, they are again riding their high horse about how much better than "America" they are and that ANYTHING anti-them must be destroyed. THAT is what will eventually lead to the destruction of what might be an Iran that has a slight hope of joining the rest of the world in the 21st century and beyond. They have the oil, they have vast resources, they have the brains ... but they just need the right leadership to go away from this idiotic non-advancing driven "fundamentalism" to more of a "progress oriented" ideology. I'm not saying they should abandon their religion or culture but this isolationist "us vs. them" is always under the category of "getting worse" in my book.

So we have sth. in common but with the difference that I’m still growing up there! And I guess u’ll agree with me that I’m a bit more aware of you. I don’t know the last time u’ve been to Iran but I would like to know that.

In terms of its relations with western countries, I totally agree with you that we’ve gone back to like 80’s, after the elections(most people in Iran believe Ahmadinejad is not a good politician but not a bad man!)

But in terms of freedom, just after his election, there were strong rumors of his fundamentalism and the restrictions that were going to be applied to control the situation(in terms of freedom of speech and more importantly the Islamic covering) of youngsters. I’m not gonna lie to you, as a young girl living in the country I really got scared cos what I was hearing about his projects was so irrational and scary(especially in terms of women’s clothing) but months after his election I personally have seen no change in those terms and start to believe these were just maybe lies , we still were those t-shirt like manteaux(which I can’t call it a covering) which became the so-called “our fashion” since Khatami. ( however, I am sometimes nagging).

But honestly I didn’t expect you(as an Iranian) to say that we live in stone ages, this is some people’s judgments and shouldn’t be yours and those who grown up or visited Iran.

From the bottom of my heart, I wish that Iran will shine in the region politically, economically and in all ways and with such huge and incredible natural and human resources (as you mentioned) that they possess , I firmly believe, it is accessible.

Comment

Originally posted by oslonor
            Only natives of Iran can tell the difference between the culture of an Azeri turk and a Persian.

I'm not gonna discuss the issue with you since you're playing dumb.

Comment

Originally posted by ARK
              ... but months after his election I personally have seen no change in those terms and start to believe these were just maybe lies , we still were those t-shirt like manteaux(which I can’t call it a covering) which became the so-called “our fashion” since Khatami. ( however, I am sometimes nagging).
              I really hope that's true and stays true

But honestly I didn’t expect you(as an Iranian) to say that we live in stone ages, this is some people’s judgments and shouldn’t be yours and those who grown up or visited Iran.
              Yah the stone ages comment was a bit much I agree It's also great to know that pretty much everyone there gets satellite TV for example and probably faaaar more channels than we get here in the US At least that way the people get to be exposed to some of what's going on outside Iran. When I was growing up there (80's), we really had nothing in terms of media and pretty much all music (except the Islamic/Iranian songs) and movies were banned. Hope that's not the case anymore.
              this post = teh win.

Comment

Originally posted by Sip
                I really hope that's true and stays true

Yah the stone ages comment was a bit much I agree It's also great to know that pretty much everyone there gets satellite TV for example and probably faaaar more channels than we get here in the US At least that way the people get to be exposed to some of what's going on outside Iran. When I was growing up there (80's), we really had nothing in terms of media and pretty much all music (except the Islamic/Iranian songs) and movies were banned. Hope that's not the case anymore.

I was born in early 80’s so I don’t remember much those years but I wanna tell you it is way more different from 90’s as well. Everyone who comes here is just stunned! As you mentioned nearly everybody has a satellite and we watch Oprah, Martha stewart, the view, friends and a lot more,and as you might know we get the latest movies sooner than Americans do! So you need to have a visit sometime!

Comment

wow so it's like how we're gonna be in the future, go America!

Comment

Originally posted by ARK
                    ... So you need to have a visit sometime!
                    Definitely! Only if I could find a way to show up there without an American passport
                    this post = teh win.

Comment

Originally posted by Sip
                      Definitely! Only if I could find a way to show up there without an American passport
                      Maybe! but come on! not everybody is obssessed with that.

Comment

Working...
                      X