Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

The Rise of the Russian Empire: Russo-Armenian Relations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Rise of the Russian Empire: Russo-Armenian Relations

Originally posted by Federate View Post
    Armenia's army is not in its best condition as the general atmosphere seems to be that people do not want to serve, at least from what i've heard.
    Armenia's military has gone through vast changes during the past five-ten years. I suggest you properly assess where you are getting your information from. Many old rumors persist due to the malicious filth found in our diasporan communities. However, Levon Ter Petrosian did do a lot of damage with his Orange revolution attempt. Hopefully, the damage will be repaired in due time. Nevertheless, the armed forces of Armenia is still the strongest force in the Trans-Caucasus. This is fact affirmed by western and Russian military experts.
    Մեր ժողովուրդն արանց հայրենասիրութեան այն է, ինչ որ մի մարմին' առանց հոգու:

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by North Pole View Post
      Do you think those Armenians who live in Russia today will go to Armenia to defend their Motherland in case of a war?
      I had to post this......

"Christophor Ivanian

A solemn ceremony of opening the monument to one of the founders of the NKR Defense Army the Lieutenant- General Christophor Ivanian and the military-sportive college named after him took place in Stepanakert.

Ivanian

as told by a foreign journalist, rough draft of USSR almanac

"Here I would like to mention, the destiny of an Armenian-Russian 'Diasporan', so particular Legend, that is hardly known outside Artzakh, even less outside Armenia.

Kristapor Ivanian, born in the 1920's, in Tiflis, then the biggest Armenian Town of the Trascaucasus.... He was born in a family of generals, serving the Tzars for more than a century, and his father being a Hero of the Russian Army during the liberation of Western Armenia, Garin, Gars...

For this reason, merged into the Russianised Nobelty of Tiflis, then the capital of the Russian Regime in the Transcaucasus, was Russian speeking exclusively. He knew virtually nothing of Armenia...

kristapor enteren the Military cavalery acadamy in Tiflis, natuarally, according to old family traditions... Still young, he was remarked for his abilities, and sent to St petersburg/leningrad artillary academy... WWII began, and the young Ivanian, stiil a cadet, was sent to the front.....

He ended as a commander of the Red Army Artillary units before Berlin!! He was God knows how many times Hero of the USSR. After the war, he served in different army HQ, became the commander of the USSR artillary and missile academys, commander of missiles in Ukraine... Till the late 70s, when as a hero of the Soviet Union, he had the right to retire with biggest Honors, with a Datcha in St Petersbourg. He was married to a Russian, and his sons and daughter were totally merged to the then Nomenclatura of Moscow,... In 1988, he was already an old man, in his 70's, classified as 'history' by all, forgotten by all... He heard of Artzakh vaguely, or so, as eny 'Grandpa' in Leningrad.

Till summer 92, when things went very very bad for Artzakh. The turks captured 45% of the territory, and were close to 10km nort east of Stepanakert. Desperate, Vasken Sarkssian made a speech on Armenian and russian TV, calling all Armenian officers, no matter their location, to save the country...

In Leningrad, by chance, the Ivanian couple, in their datcha were looking the news.... The old General, stood up, and said to his old wife, that maybe he should go too, who knows, he might still be usefull,,?? Her wife laughed at him, saying, 'old man, you are sick, unable to stand 30 minutes on foot, (he had a prostate adenome), with no respiration, what you think those people would do from you?' An hour later, he said, taking his jacket on his shoulder, as usual, at 19:00, 'wife I'm going to buy my cigarettes'... As he was out, his wife caller their son, in a Moscow office, saying: 'you know, your father is going too old, know what, he said he was willing to fight..., maybe we must see a doctor?' General kristapor Ivanian, 72 years old, hero of the USSR, gone to buy cigarettes, was reported missing in Leningrad....

Next day, at the eavening, in all the chaos and brouhaha of a small building, in Central Yerevan, where convoys were sent to Stepanakert, an old man, with 2cm glasses, a tiny brown, hand made jacket on his back , asked to be registered as a Volunteer, in russian!!! The women behind the desk was lost, she asked him to wait next room... At the end of the day, by chance an officer came to give instructions. He asked if there was still problems?? The women ended the list: 'Commander, there is an old fool next by, he's wainting for hours, and still refuses to leave...'

The officer, impressed by the age, went to persuade the old man. He still refused to leave...., asking the commander to call his General! No matter the arguments, he still began to shout loudly, ordering in Russian: 'call your general and tell him that Kristapor Ivanovitch Ivanian is a volonteer for Artzakh'!!! there was an othr officer next stage, who came in and asked: 'Are you the K. ivanian of the Artillary books? i studied in the academy, on your theory books!!!' Next Morning, the old men was in the office of the President of the republic, with the minister of Defense..., all were fullof emotion, and general Ivanian was appointed as military aid of the President, supervising the Armenian Army...' Things were going from bad to worse, and the old man was angry with the President, for giving him 'office work'...

One morning, he was reported missing... The same eavening, there was a massive attack on Hadrut front, things were going into chaos, orders were given to evacuate.... in all that hell, when in a panick mood, the last field canon was being taken back, an old man apeared in front of the track, on the Highway to Fizuli. Took the mortars and asked to help him... The boys were annoyed. They had orders to retreat, but this Strong head old man was refusing to leeve'... no matter all their talk, finally, in respect to his big age, they decided to stop for some minutes, and help the old fool... General Kristapor Ivanian, ex-Hero of the USSR, ex-Theorician of Soviet Artillary Academies, ex-Aid of the President of the Armenian Republic, turned into a simple artillary officer, ordering, shouting in Russian....

And the enemy was stopped! Soon the turkish fire was less and less acurate, less and less intensive.... Soon the little field cannon of the 'Missing' regiment registered new, captured material, Grad missiles.... Kristapor Ivanian, member and adviser of the NKR HQ, was assigned to create, from zero, NKR army's military academy, in a destroyed village, now named after him IVANOVKA. While fighting on 4 fronts, the NKR began forming new, 17-18 year old tank and artillary officers..., next to the frontline. One day the boys were in classes, learning in books, and next day, when situation tense, they were in practice, liberating Aghdam or Fizuli... War ended, for the first time after 1041, ani's fall, an armenian Army liberated lands... Gen Ivanian, called home, ex-Leningrad now St Petersbourg, to inform his whereabout.... The Government of the NKR, offered a big datcha, next to the Presidential palace to his 75 years Heroe, now Second in Command of its Army....

The russian wife installed in Stepanakert, but the old general refused comfort.. While he asked his whife to cultivate vegetables and poultery in their garden, to avoid expenses for the state, he went to live in his Division's HQ, near the frontline..., turning Home, Stepanakert, once a month only.... Gen Ivanian was Given the most difficult section of the front, the montains and forests of Chahoumian and Mardakert.... He was used to sleep 3-4 hours a day, the rest touring his positions... He was atheist as the original communists, knew virtually no Armenian, established soviet style discipline in his troops, imposed law and order, has build bunkers and garnisons, with soviet style harshness (the builders were given short terms, with at the end, the obligation to give best quality bunkers, if not, may God help them...)... He was feared as a'Stalin' in all Mardakert, at 75, sick with uretral and cancer problems, but checked all by his eyes...

He knew knothing of 'comfort/luxury'. lived in the same places as his officers, his men.... eated virtually the same as they did,a 'loligov tzevazegh' a day, a piece of bread and a cop of tea...( in 96, things were not as good as now for food). I had the honor to share his officer quarter bank for a short period, and I can't forget that old, severe, Russian speeking, but so emotional and good-heart man, sharing the cold, humid, icy morning ceremonial garnison 'nakhajachs' with 20-30 year old mens.... I can't forget the first day I was introduced to him. that 'Stalin' man, tears in his eyes, because he saw a young Diasporan, 'present to give a hand' to thoose forgotten 'SAVAGES'... Let alone the comic, while 2 different Diasporan's seving the same nation, were obliged to communicate with hands, or a Artsakhian parpar translator...

He had 2 Artzakhian horses, he used to tour the montain forest positions 2 or tree times a week..., and believe me its easier to say than to do, in such hard terrain, mines everywhere, and the enemy 100-150m away.... He served till his last day of life, past 75, to secure security for his old people...."

Comment

Originally posted by North Pole View Post
        [Do you think those Armenians who live in Russia today will go to Armenia to defend their Motherland in case of a war?
        I live in the US and did already prepare my family ... in case of war >>> I will be there. I will be damned if I will go through life whining about another Genocide.
        Last edited by Azad; 05-27-2008, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Azad View Post
          I live in the US and did already prepare my family ... in case of war >>> I will be there. I will be damned if I will go through life whining about another Genocide.
          If you are young enough, speak Armenian fluently, are able bodied and mentally sound, I suggest you join the Armenian armed forces before war breaks out. In short, go become a citizen of Armenia and do the obligitory two years of military service. That way, you will already be trained and acclamated to the Army. If, after your two years war happens, you will already be a valued soldier, ready, on the first day, to fight.

Comment

Originally posted by crusader1492 View Post
            If you are young enough, speak Armenian fluently, are able bodied and mentally sound, I suggest you join the Armenian armed forces before war breaks out. In short, go become a citizen of Armenia and do the obligitory two years of military service. That way, you will already be trained and acclamated to the Army. If, after your two years war happens, you will already be a valued soldier, ready, on the first day, to fight.
            what is actualy needed to become a officer in the Armenian army. Because after I'm done with college, I'm thinking about becoming an officer in the Armenian forces but I don't know what is needed to become one.

Comment

This is a documentary I strongly suggest you all to watch.

Russian Film Accuses West of Orchestrating Chechen War

План «Кавказ» (2008) (Plan Caucasus Video): http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...L-j6T_Ag&hl=en

A new film released on Russia’s state-run Channel One has sparked as much international eye-rolling as controversy. Swirling around a central shadowy Turkish secret agent, the 55-minute “Caucasus Plan” implicates a series of western countries, including France, Germany, Turkey and the United States in orchestrating Russia’s war with Chechnya in the 1990s.

The Turkish embassy in Moscow has already discounted the “unfounded assertions regarding Turkey,” questioning the conclusions of the self-designated “documentary.” The film, which first aired on April 22nd, alleges that ENKA, a Turkish construction company with major market share in Russia, directly funded Chechen rebels. It also alleges that the U.S. State Department as well as Turkish authorities staged a number of cunning plots to exacerbate separatism in the North Caucasus region, including smuggling weapons and injecting the market with counterfeit dollars. France allegedly gave a hand by printing new regional passports, and Germany provided assistance by minting new currency. A statement from Channel One called the project an “investigative journalism” documentary based on a number of on-the-ground witnesses. In response, ENKA quickly released a statement: “We state that all information regarding our company broadcast on April 22 in ‘The Caucasus Plan’ TV program on Channel One is totally groundless and untrue. We deny all such accusations.”

Experts called the film a joke, adding that it resembles Soviet-style propaganda rather than a serious investigation. Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty quotes Said-Khasan Abumuslimov, a historian who was Chechnya’s vice president in the 1990s: “The Russians have always claimed that the Chechen struggle was instigated by outside forces,” he said. “They say we always wanted to live in peace with the Russians, but first Turkey, then England, and now America is sowing seeds of discord in the Caucasus. I don’t even want to comment on these silly allegations. This is not serious.”

Government critics commonly describe television in Russian as the most strictly government-controlled media. At the same time, television serves as the major source of news for the largest share of the population. Channel One (also called Rossiya), a state-run enterprise that broadcasts across the country, has been repeatedly criticized for serving as a Kremlin press-agency, and not a serious source of news. In September 2007, the channel aired another anti-Western special titled “Barkhat.ru” (lit. Velvet.ru). The prime-time special described a mass-conspiracy wherein the CIA was using foreign NGOs, the western media and opposition groups in an attempt to overthrow the government and foment a “color revolution” in Russia.

Source: http://www.theotherrussia.org/2008/0...g-chechen-war/

Russian journalist's film "Plan Kavkaz" caused bewilderment in Azerbaijan

The investigation made by Anton Vernitskiy, journalist of Channel One, in his film "Plan Kavkaz", shown on April 22 and dedicated to the attempts in early 1990s of external forces, including Baku and Ankara, to separate Chechnya from Russia, has caused bewilderment in Azerbaijan. The ORT journalist reminds the viewers about the events in the 1990s, when after collapse of the USSR Chechen leaders got a chance to appeal for help to foreign special agencies in implementing their mercenary separatist plans. The journalist's investigation asserts that Azerbaijan was then a serious player, and allegedly the then presidents of country Abulfaz Elchibey and Geidar Aliev rendered assistance to Chechen separatists. Khazar Ibragim, head of the press service of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Azerbaijan, has stated in his comments on Anton Vernitskiy's assertions that Azerbaijan had never interfered and does not interfere into home affairs of other countries. In his turn, Vafa Guluzade, former foreign policy state adviser, has named the Russian journalist's fabrications to be a lie. "Unlike Russia, Azerbaijan never helped separatists. The point is that Russia was irritated by Azerbaijani delay of Russia's confidential cargo for Iran; therefore, it has grown so furious. It's just one form of provocation," he said. We remind you that back on March 29, Azerbaijani custom inspectors detained at the "Astara" checkpoint a Russian road train with heat insulation equipment intended for the construction of the "Busher" Nuclear Power Plant in Iran. Negotiations of "Rosatom" representatives with the Azerbaijani Government on the fate of the cargo have brought no fruit so far. The Azerbaijani party asserts that Russia failed to submit the necessary documentation, detailing the character of the special equipment delivered for the "Busher" Nuclear Power Plant.

Source: http://eng.kavkaz.memo.ru/newstext/e...d/1213763.html

Originally posted by Armenian View Post
              I have always claimed that the brutal war in Chechnya was a covert military operation waged against the Russian Federation by the United States and NATO with direct support from Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Azerbaijan and Georgia. The operation was intended to undermine Russian power within the Caspian Sea region thereby giving interested parties free access to the region's vast oil/gas reserves and strategically important transit routs. Their bold plan succeeded somewhat while Yeltsin the Drunk was in power. After Putin's rise in Moscow, the Caspian Sea region has been thoroughly pacified and its much coveted oil/gas reserves and its strategically vital transit routs have been more-or-less monopolized by the Russian Federation.

Armenian

The War in Chechnya

With regard to Chechnya, the main rebel leaders Shamil Basayev and Al Khattab were trained and indoctrinated in CIA sponsored camps in Afghanistan and Pakistan. According to Yossef Bodansky, director of the U.S. Congress's Task Force on Terrorism and Unconventional Warfare, the war in Chechnya had been planned during a secret summit of HizbAllah International held in 1996 in Mogadishu, Somalia. 21 The summit, was attended by Osama bin Laden and high-ranking Iranian and Pakistani intelligence officers. In this regard, the involvement of Pakistan's ISI in Chechnya "goes far beyond supplying the Chechens with weapons and expertise: the ISI and its radical Islamic proxies are actually calling the shots in this war". Russia's main pipeline route transits through Chechnya and Dagestan. Despite Washington's perfunctory condemnation of Islamic terrorism, the indirect beneficiaries of the Chechen war are the Anglo-American oil conglomerates which are vying for control over oil resources and pipeline corridors out of the Caspian Sea basin. The two main Chechen rebel armies (respectively led by Commander Shamil Basayev and Emir Khattab) estimated at 35,000 strong were supported by Pakistan's ISI, which also played a key role in organizing and training the Chechen rebel army:

[In 1994] the Pakistani Inter Services Intelligence arranged for Basayev and his trusted lieutenants to undergo intensive Islamic indoctrination and training in guerrilla warfare in the Khost province of Afghanistan at Amir Muawia camp, set up in the early 1980s by the CIA and ISI and run by famous Afghani warlord Gulbuddin Hekmatyar. In July 1994, upon graduating from Amir Muawia, Basayev was transferred to Markaz-i-Dawar camp in Pakistan to undergo training in advanced guerrilla tactics. In Pakistan, Basayev met the highest ranking Pakistani military and intelligence officers: Minister of Defense General Aftab Shahban Mirani, Minister of Interior General Naserullah Babar, and the head of the ISI branch in charge of supporting Islamic causes, General Javed Ashraf, (all now retired). High-level connections soon proved very useful to Basayev.

Following his training and indoctrination stint, Basayev was assigned to lead the assault against Russian federal troops in the first Chechen war in 1995. His organization had also developed extensive links to criminal syndicates in Moscow as well as ties to Albanian organized crime and the Kosovo Liberation Army (KLA). In 1997-98, according to Russia's Federal Security Service (FSB) "Chechen warlords started buying up real estate in Kosovo... through several real estate firms registered as a cover in Yugoslavia. Basayev's organisation has also been involved in a number of rackets including narcotics, illegal tapping and sabotage of Russia's oil pipelines, kidnapping, prostitution, trade in counterfeit dollars and the smuggling of nuclear materials (See Mafia linked to Albania's collapsed pyramids, 25 Alongside the extensive laundering of drug money, the proceeds of various illicit activities have been funneled towards the recruitment of mercenaries and the purchase of weapons.

During his training in Afghanistan, Shamil Basayev linked up with Saudi born veteran Mujahideen Commander "Al Khattab" who had fought as a volunteer in Afghanistan. Barely a few months after Basayev's return to Grozny, Khattab was invited (early 1995) to set up an army base in Chechnya for the training of Mujahideen fighters. According to the BBC, Khattab's posting to Chechnya had been "arranged through the Saudi-Arabian based [International] Islamic Relief Organisation, a militant religious organisation, funded by mosques and rich individuals which channeled funds into Chechnya". Concluding Remarks Since the Cold War era, Washington has consciously supported Osama bin Laden, while at same time placing him on the FBI's "most wanted list" as the World's foremost terrorist. While the Mujahideen are busy fighting America's war in the Balkans and the former Soviet Union, the FBI --operating as a US based Police Force- is waging a domestic war against terrorism, operating in some respects independently of the CIA which has --since the Soviet-Afghan war-- supported international terrorism through its covert operations.

Source: http://www.globalresearch.ca/articles/CHO109C.html

British And American Covert Operations In Chechnya

"The Clinton administration followed up by providing strong support to the KLA, even though it was known that the KLA supported the Muslim mujahadeen. Despite that knowledge, then Secretary of State Madeleine Albright had the KLA removed from the State Department list of terrorists. This action paved the way for the United States to provide the KLA with needed logistical support. At the same time, the KLA also received support from Iran and Usama bin Laden, along with 'Islamic holy warriors' who were jihad veterans from Bosnia, Chechnya and Afghanistan. Swiss journalist Richard Labeviere, in his book, 'Dollars for Terror,' said that the international Islamic networks linked to bin Laden received help from U.S. intelligence community. Indeed, Chechen sources claim that U.S. intelligence also aided them in their opposition to Russia. Given that U.S. policy in the post-Cold War period has not only been anti-Russian but anti-Iranian, the United States worked closely with Pakistan's predominantly Sunni Inter-Services Intelligence organization. Through ISI, the United States recruited Sunni mujahadeen by staging them in Chechnya to fight in Bosnia and later in Kosovo."

[...]

Source: http://www.btinternet.com/~nlpWESSEX...ne-Caspian.htm

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

Damascus Talks Peace, Bids for Sophisticated Military Hardware

When Damascus confirmed peace talks with Israel on May 21, a secret high-powered military purchasing delegation, headed by air force-air defenses commander Gen. Akhmad Ratyb, was already in Moscow. With a $5 billion allocation in hand from Tehran, the delegation was bidding for the most advanced products of Russia’s munitions industry. The six main categories of interest to Damascus are disclosed by DEBKA-Net-Weekly’s military sources as –

1. The latest model of the Russian Iskander-E, a surface-to-surface tactical missile with a range of 280 km and a 480-kilo warhead. This missile is considered one of the most advanced of its type in the world today, partly because of its cruise attributes which enable it to home in on target undetected and with high precision. Iskander-E can be guided by pilot-less air vehicles or satellites.

2. Fifty of the latest MiG-29SMT fighter-bombers. The Russians have added advanced avionics and electronics and lengthened the warplane’s operational range. It can fly 3,700 kilometers without refueling, and 6,700 kilometers with in-flight fueling. Their purchase therefore goes with Russian refueling aircraft.

The Pantsir S1E air defense missile systems. Syria has already received nine or ten batteries but Moscow has held up the rest of the 36-missile order at American insistence after part of the first consignment was transferred to Iran.

4. Damascus wants 800 Strelets short-range anti-air missiles. The Igla-S version, our military sources report, is shoulder-borne and able to hit surface-to-surface and cruise missiles. Damascus has informed Moscow that the vehicle-mounted version is acceptable for deployment along the Syrian-Israeli border as a defense against Israeli missiles.

5. A key component on the list is 75 Yak-130 light combat-cum-training planes. As a fighter craft for short distances, the Yak-130 is reputed to be one of the most effective of its type in any of the world’s air forces. The fact that it has been commissioned by Syria points to heavy investment, with the active help of Russian military experts, in creating a defense system for halting an Israeli invasion. The Yak-130 is an integral element of the combat equipment in Russian armored divisions. Syria will be able to use this fleet of 75 light combat craft to shield its armored divisions against Israel’s tank hunters, the Cobra and Blackhawk choppers. The Yak-130 outclasses the Israeli choppers in speed, maneuverability and firepower.

6. Syria wants to buy two Amur-1650 submarines, whose features compare with the Israel Navy’s German-made Dolphins, which are capable of firing cruise missiles. The Amur-class submarine can strike salvo missile blows at different targets. This is its outstanding feature. Its sonar signature level is considerably less than the Kilo-class vessels which are reputedly the most silent in the world. Amur subs can operate in all the world’s seas excepting those under solid ice cover, in all weather conditions and in shallow or deep water.

Source: http://www.debka.com/article.php?aid=1351

An Arms Deal for More than Weapons

One of the topics of talks during Colombian Vice President Francisco Santos Calderon will be military-technical cooperation between our two countries. Today that cooperation is insignificant. In the last five years, Russia has supplied Colombia only with a few Mi-17 helicopters. That is in sharp comparison to the $3-billion package of military hardware delivered to its neighbor Venezuela, which includes 24 Su-30MK2V fighter jets, among other things. Relations between the two Latin American countries are practically hostile. Pragmatic Colombian President Alvaro Uribe Velez is waging an endless war against Marxist rebel groups with American support. Venezuela’s indefatigable populist President Hugo Chavez openly supports the Colombian partisans and calls on Latin American for a “crusade” against the United States.

Latin America was the exclusive sphere of influence of the U.S. for a long time, so the USSR’s presence on the arms market there was determined by political factors during the Cold War. First it supported the Cuban Revolution, then the Sandinistas in Nicaragua. Economic benefit was not a consideration. Paradoxically, the situation today is reminiscent of those times. Russia, the successor state to the USSR, is arming Venezuela, the main opponent of the U.S. in the Southern hemisphere. American military aid (about $600 million per year) helps Colombia maintain the military balance with its unpredictable neighbor. The U.S. political establishment is in an uproar saying that the Latin American situation is part of a general tendency in Russia’s restoration as a great power and the Kremlin’s desire to come into conflict with the U.S. in any corner of the world.

There is no political subtext, however. There are only financial interests. The U.S. lost that lucrative market when it imposed an arms embargo on Venezuela in 2005. Chavez was forced to search for new suppliers. On the other hand, the opening of the Latin American market was essential for the development of the Russian military industrial complex. The Chinese and Indian arms markets, long the main centers of Russian military supplying, were saturated and cooperation with those countries was gradually shifting to high technology. Now, Russian arms makers see Southeast Asia, North Africa and Latin America, where reliable and not excessively expensive arms are needed, as the most promising regions for them.

In that connection, the visit of the Colombian vice president and the possible conclusion of deals for military supplies are a confirmation that, in Latin America, Russia has no priorities other than economic. There question is something else. Will the Americans let their ally make those deals? There is fierce competition on the arms market. An arms deal with Russia would be a real breakthrough for Uribe. It would strengthen his position as a president who makes decisions independently and for whom the Americans are only allies. As Latin America turns leftward, that has a high value.

Source: http://www.kommersant.com/p896400/r_...ales_Colombia/

Նժդեհ

Comment

The bear is back

As recent reports make clear, Russia is now forcing its way back into the Middle East - and not necessarily in the most encouraging manner. By dangerously increasing its arms sales to the region, Moscow is seeking to restore prestige, bolster influence and - not least - to make money. The latest example came with reports that a high-level Syrian military delegation, led by Air Force commander Gen. Ahmad al-Ratyb, met last week in Moscow with Russian Defense Ministry officials to buy advanced weapons. These sales reportedly include S-300 advanced multi-target anti-aircraft-missile systems, long-range MiG 29SMT fighter jets, two Amur-1650 submarines, and Iskander high-precision short-range missiles.

Such Russian behavior is nothing new. In the days of the Cold War, the Soviet Union served for decades as the major arms supplier to Syria, Iraq and Egypt. In the last several years, Russia has sold Syria AT-14 Kornet guided anti-tank missiles, which Hizbullah used against Israeli forces in the Second Lebanon War (during which, ironically enough, Russia criticized the IDF's excessive use of force). Nor is Syria the only recipient of Russian arms. Moscow supplies the lion's share of Iran's conventional arms. Last year, Russia agreed to sell Iran $700 million worth of surface-to-air missile systems, and plans to upgrade Teheran's Su-24 and MiG-29 aircraft, and its T-72 battle tanks. Most troublingly, beginning in the mid-1990s, Russia built Iran's first nuclear reactor.

Nor does misplaced Russian largesse extend only to states. Of equal concern, perhaps, was the Kremlin's 2006 invitation of a Hamas delegation, led by Khaled Mashaal, to Moscow. To this day, Russia refuses to designate Hamas and Hizbullah as terrorist organizations. Lest it be thought that Russia seeks to promote the regional dominance of the Syria-Iran-terrorist axis, we hasten to add that Moscow has carried out similar dealings with Saudi Arabia. During his visit to Riyadh last February, President Vladimir Putin offered to sell Saudi Arabia sophisticated anti-aircraft systems, 150 T-90 tanks, and expanded satellite launches. He also offered to help the Saudis build "peaceful" nuclear reactors.

And the same ambition to gain leverage in the region as a whole accounts for the nuclear cooperation deal Russia signed with Egypt during Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak's visit to Russia in March. WHERE DOES all this leave Russia-Israel relations? The answer begins with the recognition that since 1947, when Stalin backed the establishment of the State of Israel in the hope that it would undermine British imperial influence in the region, Russian behavior here has been almost ruthlessly pragmatic, rather than narrowly ideological. Russian pragmatism dictated its behavior during the period from the 1967 Six Day War, when Brezhnev broke off relations with Israel, until 1991, when Gorbachev restored them. And the same pragmatism dictates the far warmer relations today.

Although bilateral trade has stagnated at a mere $1 billion per year, strong business ties - especially in heavy industry, aviation, energy and medicine - link the two countries. Much of Israel's crude oil comes from the FSU. Now, however, Israel must put far greater pressure on Moscow to stop the sale of weapons that threaten Israel's basic security requirements. Israel can no longer allow Russia to maximize its regional power at Israel's expense. Effective Israeli diplomacy in this direction will appeal to Russian pragmatic self-interest. It will point out, for instance, that irresponsible Russian arms sales to hostile states will only invite the kind of instability in the Middle East that will harm Russia's bid for influence.

Such diplomacy must especially stress Moscow's fears of losing ground to Iran. Those fears clearly motivated Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov's visit to Jerusalem in March, during which he insisted that Russia, a member of the Quartet, is determined to press ahead with an international Middle East conference in Moscow in June. There are hopeful signs that Israeli diplomacy can turn Russia's pragmatic fears to healthier ends, as when Russian Ambassador to Israel Petr Stegniy told the Post last week that a nuclear Iran is as much "a nightmare" for Russia as it is for the US and Israel. In these and other ways, Israel can - indeed must - harness Russia's ambition to increase its clout in the Middle East to Israel's own strategic interests.

Source: http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satelli...=1211434094077

Նժդեհ

Comment

Russia Aiming for the East

The route of President Medvedev’s first overseas tour (Kazakhstan, and then China) hasn’t been chosen randomly. Some of our experts opine that Russia’s foreign policy in the East needs to be intensified due to several reasons. There are integration processes throughout the world – in Europe, Eurasia, North America, Asia Pacific. The European Union, CIS, NAFTA and APEC account for a half of earth’s population and almost two thirds of the world GDP. And the Commonwealth of Independent States doesn’t comply with modern challenges at all.

You shouldn’t expect unanimity from a body set up for a “civilized divorce” – it’s sometimes more difficult to reach agreement with some of the CIS members than with the EU. And, influenced by the global regionalization, Moscow and Astana might have some ideas regarding the matter. For example, they can create an integration core, succeed in it, and then attract other states using “soft power.” Besides, there are such integration bodies as the EurAsEC (Eurasian Economic Community) and the SCO (Shanghai Cooperation Organization). Moscow and Astana only need to settle all their oil and gas issues, which are sure to be discussed by the presidents.

Kazakhstan seeks leadership in Central Asia – a region where the interests of the high and the mighty intersect. Oil and gas are at stake. It much depends on Astana’s decision whether they’ll be transported through Russia, or omit it. It’s clear that the energy significance of Kazakhstan goes beyond the region proper – Kazakh oil is supplied to Europe and the Far East. There is evidence that in May Moscow and Astana worked out a common approach towards the expansion of the Caspian pipeline consortium from 32 mln to 67 mln tons of oil annually. There is also agreement on Kazakhstan’s taking part in constructing the Burgas–Alexandroupolis oil pipeline.

It need be said that Kazakhstan has quite an influence in Europe. The state aims for the OSCE presidency. Whatever your attitude towards this organization, you shouldn’t disregard the presidency in it. While the OSCE functions, it is a reputation achievement for Kazakhstan. I’ve recently been to a political session of the PACE. Our Russian delegation supported Kazakhstan in its bid to become observer with another Pan-European body – the Council of Europe.

As to Russian President’s visit to China, it’s a natural desire of Russia, which is pushed aside by Europe, to consolidate its position in the Pacific Rim. Experts believe that Russia could become part and parcel of the region – not just oil and gas supplier, but a Western part of the trade space of the Asia Pacific region. Constructing rail roads that omit the unstable lands of Eurasia, APEC goods could be delivered to the European markets through Russia. It extends the economic borders of the APEC and diversifies the exports from the region. Today these exports are America-oriented. And diversification is a perfect means of providing security of the energy, as well as any other markets.

Source: http://www.kommersant.com/p894565/r_...dent_Medvedev/

Medvedev says Russia-China force to be reckoned with

Russia's new President Dmitry Medvedev, winding up his first foreign trip, said Saturday the world could not ignore the joint voice of his country and China, and rejected criticism of the alliance. Medvedev said it was symbolic that he picked China as his first destination outside the former Soviet Union. The two countries have been increasingly assertive as their economies grow on the back of rising exports. "Russian-Chinese cooperation has today emerged as a key factor in international security, without which it is impossible for the international community to take major decisions," Medvedev said at Peking University. "Maybe not everybody likes the strategic cooperation between our two countries, but we understand that this cooperation is in the interest of our people and we will boost it whether or not it pleases some people," he said, without naming critics.

A day earlier, Medvedev and Chinese President Hu Jintao in a joint statement denounced US plans to build a global missile defence shield. Russia has been outraged by US plans to build the shield in Poland and the Czech Republic, former Soviet bloc countries in Eastern Europe. Russia and China have also been uneasy about US-Japanese cooperation on a missile shield. But Medvedev has stayed away from openly assailing the West in the style of his mentor and predecessor Vladimir Putin, who remains highly influential in the prime minister's post. China and Russia are veto-wielding permanent members of the UN Security Council, where they have coordinated positions on controversial issues such as Kosovan independence, which they both oppose, as well as the Iranian nuclear issue.

The two have also established the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation with four Central Asian nations in a set-up similar to the US-led North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO), which has been expanding into Eastern Europe. "Our activity is not directed against any other country but serves to maintain an international balance," Medvedev said of cooperation with China. Unlike most Western nations, Russia has not voiced concerns about China's human rights record or its clampdown on protests that broke out in Tibet in March against Chinese rule. Medvedev told the Chinese students that he was looking forward to the Beijing Olympics, whose worldwide torch relay was marred by protests over Tibet. "I am convinced that the organisation of the Olympic Games will be at a high level," he said. "When I watch the Olympic Games, of course I will support Russian athletes but also the Chinese athletes and I hope that together we will win all of the medals."

But analysts note that a spate of disputes still mar ties between Russia and China, which had armed conflicts in the Soviet era. Negotiations have been bogged down on plans for a Russian oil pipeline to supply China's rapidly growing economy. They are also competing for Central Asia's oil and gas, which was exclusively Moscow's preserve in Soviet times. Hu accepted Medvedev's invitation to visit Russia next year, Chinese state media reported.

Source: http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5...qSLQMUU0v2UBRg

Merging Russia’s Economy

Nursultan Nazarbayev will suggest merging economies to Dmitry Medvedev Russia’s third President to make his first visit abroad Russia’s President Dmitry Medvedev is going on his first overseas tour. Today he arrives in Astana for an official visit, and tomorrow he sets off for Beijing. Choosing Kazakhstan as Mr Medvedev’s foreign policy debut, Moscow demonstrates that the post-Soviet space is its priority. Kommersant special correspondent Vladimir Solovyov, who visited the Kazakh capital ahead of the Russian leader’s arrival, found out that Kazakhstan’s President Nursultan Nazarbayev, pleased with the great honor, will in his turn propose a plan to Dmitry Medvedev envisaging a merger of the two economies.

CIS for the two

It’s not the first time in his life that Dmitry Medvedev engages in international politics. Prior to the March election the then head of state Vladimir Putin began to prepare his successor to address foreign policy matters on his own. First Mr Putin took the then First Deputy Prime Minister to important bilateral meetings with leaders of other countries, and after several master-classes of that kind he sent Mr Medvedev in Belgrade and Budapest to hold talks about constructing the South Stream gas pipeline. The present Asia tour of Dmitry Medvedev is peculiar in that it’s his first overseas trip as Russia’s President. It starts with a visit to Astana – a city Mr Medvedev arrives in for an official visit today. It’s likely that the status of the visit and the fact that it is made to one of the CIS states is meant to underscore Moscow’s special attitude towards the post-Soviet space. The majority of the Russian mass media have already dubbed this trip “momentous event.” On the other hand, after the eight years of Vladimir Putin’s ruling Russia, you can only use Kazakhstan to demonstrate the achievements of the CIS policy.

Relations with Georgia have been escalated, relations with Ukraine deteriorate day by day; as to Belarus, regardless of the longstanding process of founding a union, the situation gets permanently complicated. In Central Asia things are not that favorable for Russia, too. Turkmenistan, which has always been indifferent to the CIS, is trying to develop partnership with other countries, not only Russia, under the new President Gurbanguly Berdimuhammedov. Uzbekistan’s leader Islom Karimov, who seemed to have enjoyed closer relations with Moscow after the attempt of revolution in Andijon, has been more enthusiastic about the West. Dmitry Medvedev could visit one of the republics that are relatively loyal to Russia – Moldova, Kyrgyzstan or Tajikistan – but this countries are not that appealing in terms of Russia’s economic interests. So, there has been no alternative to Astana, which is linked with Moscow by impressive energy projects. “Medvedev could hardly choose which country to visit for the first time as President,” Birjan Murataliev, member of the Kazakh National and Economic Chamber of the Atameken alliance, argued when talking with Kommersant. “Why are there so many odds in the Commonwealth? Because for the last dozen of years Russia has barely cared about the outskirts. There has been no long-term programme of cooperation. Now the Russian government appears to remember that it once lived together with the other republics. In Kazakhstan Russia’s new President is expected to present a long-term strategy and mutually beneficial cooperation within the CIS.”

CES of the two

In Kazakhstan they appear pleased with the fact that Dmitry Medvedev decided to visit their country first. “Strategically, these are the most robust partners, friends and neighbors in the entire CIS,” Yermuhamet Yertysbaev, Nursultan Nazarbayev’s Political Advisor, boasted yesterday. At the same time the current visit is important for Mr Nazarbayev not only for the reason of demonstrating his close ties with Russia. Officials with the Administration of the Kazakh President told Kommersant that during the negotiations planned for the present visit of Mr Medvedev agreements will be signed about using outer space for peaceful purposes and using GLONASS (Global Navigation Satellite System). Nonetheless, the signing of the documents can be considered a mere formality. It’s energy that’ll be focused on during the visit. Moscow, which last week announced intent to construct the BTS-2 oil pipeline, reckons that Astana will join the project as one of the investors. This proposal has already been handed over to the Kazakh party, who are now considering the form of their participation in the project. Probably, the details of cooperation in this area will be discussed today.

Kommersant found out that during their tete-a-tete negotiations Mr Medvedev and Mr Nazarbayev (at his suggestion) will pay special attention to another ambitious project. A source of Kommersant reported that Nursultan Nazarbayev is going to raise the issue of integration of the economies of the two neighboring states. “Taking into account the level of economic development of the two states, we suggest that Russia consider a comprehensive agreement on cooperation and integration, which could bring us even closer,” the official told Kommersant. In fact Mr Nazarbayev suggests that Moscow revive the Common Economic Space (CES) project, which Russia, Kazakhstan, Ukraine and Belarus tried to bring about as far back as 2003. This time Kazakhstan insists on that the CES-2 must be built without Ukraine and Belarus participating. The Kazakh government opines that these countries impede integration, rather than foster it.

Yesterday Imangali Tasmagambetov, the current mayor of Astana, confirmed to Kommersant that this idea is regarded crucial with the Kazakh authorities. Mr Tasmagambetov is reputed one of the closest adherents of President Nazarbayev and one of his likely successors. “The President has always proved to Moscow that it’s pointless to tear our economic ties; on the contrary, we should integrate more intensively. Look what’s happening between Russia and Ukraine, Russia and Georgia, Russia and Belarus. And as to Kazakhstan, the situation is quite different. We do not aim to create another USSR, we just mean that merging our markets, we’ll become effective,” the politician deems.

Dmitry Medvedev won’t have to decide on Nursultan Nazarbayev’s integration initiative immediately. In the near future they’ll be ale to once again thrash it out during the forthcoming CIS summit in St.-Petersburg in June. And in a month and a half Dmitry Medvedev will have another reason to visit Astana. The thing is, on July 6 the Kazakh capital, which was moved from Alma-Ata to Tselinograd and then twice renamed on the initiative of Mr Nazarbayev, will celebrate its 10th anniversary. By the way, on the same day the longstanding Kazakh leader will celebrate his 68th anniversary, too. Vladimir Putin, Russia’s Prime Minister, has already received an invitation to the double fest, and today Dmitry Medvedev may be invited as well. Perhaps, when gathering together, the three principal heads of Kazakhstan and Russia will determine whether to set to founding another alliance on the post-Soviet territory or not.

Source: http://www.kommersant.com/p894615/r_...dent_Medvedev/

Նժդեհ

Comment

I remember getting emotionally overwhelmed when I first read Ivanian's story several years ago. Thank you very much for posting it here. Although Ivanian's story is quite unique, he was not alone in what he did. However, for me, Ivanian personifies what I mean when I talk about the great potential of Russian-Armenians and Russian Armenian relations. Simply put: We need to better organize Russian-Armenians, we need to make them feel as if they are part and parcel of the Armenian nation regardless of whether or not they speak Armenian. In this complex world, in the unforgiving Caucasus, Russian-Armenians and Russian Armenian relations are our last hope for survival.

Although many Armenians in Russia tend to be "Russified," many do, however, posses an inner Armenian pride that is seldom seen elsewhere in the diaspora. These people, especially the generation that reached adulthood after Stalin's death, have an 'organic' pride in the Armenian nation. They have pride in the history, in the culture, in our heroism, in our intellect, in our talents, in the collective capabilities of the Armenian nation, in the great potential of Russian Armenian cooperation... This pride was revealed during the Artsakh conflict when many thousands of Armenians from areas of the former Soviet republics converged onto Artsakh to save it from impending doom. In comparison, besides a couple of hundred hard-line Dashnaks from Lebanon, Syria and elsewhere what did the vast Armenian Diaspora do, especially that of the West?

What they did was the only thing they know how to do - They were crying at the feet of the majors powers and begging them for mercy.

And look at that deranged lunatic called Jirayr Seflian today, a war hero from Beirut...

Like I said, the notion of Armenian pride for those people in and around the Caucasus is organic, it's well rooted, it's an integral part of their being, even if they don't speak Armenian well, even if they don't live in the Armenian Republic. Whereas Armenian pride in a place like the United States is based upon a victims mentality and not much else. Sadly, Armenian nationalism, if it can be called that, within much of the Armenian Disapora is only expressed by perennially crying about the Armenian Genocide at the feet of the powers that be and repeating over and over and over again that Armenians were the first Christians - as if anyone cares. For most "proud" Amerikahais their Armenian identity is like a favorite shirt they wear on weekends - a superficial fashion statement. Armenian "pride" for Americahais is eating Luleh kabobs in Church picnics and listening to Turkish music disguised as Armenian. In other words, Armenian pride here in the states is pathetically shallow, bordering on absurd.

Originally posted by Azad View Post
                      Ivanian

as told by a foreign journalist, rough draft of USSR almanac

"Here I would like to mention, the destiny of an Armenian-Russian 'Diasporan', so particular Legend, that is hardly known outside Artzakh, even less outside Armenia.

Kristapor Ivanian, born in the 1920's, in Tiflis, then the biggest Armenian Town of the Trascaucasus.... He was born in a family of generals, serving the Tzars for more than a century, and his father being a Hero of the Russian Army during the liberation of Western Armenia, Garin, Gars...

For this reason, merged into the Russianised Nobelty of Tiflis, then the capital of the Russian Regime in the Transcaucasus, was Russian speeking exclusively. He knew virtually nothing of Armenia...

kristapor enteren the Military cavalery acadamy in Tiflis, natuarally, according to old family traditions... Still young, he was remarked for his abilities, and sent to St petersburg/leningrad artillary academy... WWII began, and the young Ivanian, stiil a cadet, was sent to the front.....

He ended as a commander of the Red Army Artillary units before Berlin!! He was God knows how many times Hero of the USSR. After the war, he served in different army HQ, became the commander of the USSR artillary and missile academys, commander of missiles in Ukraine... Till the late 70s, when as a hero of the Soviet Union, he had the right to retire with biggest Honors, with a Datcha in St Petersbourg. He was married to a Russian, and his sons and daughter were totally merged to the then Nomenclatura of Moscow,... In 1988, he was already an old man, in his 70's, classified as 'history' by all, forgotten by all... He heard of Artzakh vaguely, or so, as eny 'Grandpa' in Leningrad.

Till summer 92, when things went very very bad for Artzakh. The turks captured 45% of the territory, and were close to 10km nort east of Stepanakert. Desperate, Vasken Sarkssian made a speech on Armenian and russian TV, calling all Armenian officers, no matter their location, to save the country...

In Leningrad, by chance, the Ivanian couple, in their datcha were looking the news.... The old General, stood up, and said to his old wife, that maybe he should go too, who knows, he might still be usefull,,?? Her wife laughed at him, saying, 'old man, you are sick, unable to stand 30 minutes on foot, (he had a prostate adenome), with no respiration, what you think those people would do from you?' An hour later, he said, taking his jacket on his shoulder, as usual, at 19:00, 'wife I'm going to buy my cigarettes'... As he was out, his wife caller their son, in a Moscow office, saying: 'you know, your father is going too old, know what, he said he was willing to fight..., maybe we must see a doctor?' General kristapor Ivanian, 72 years old, hero of the USSR, gone to buy cigarettes, was reported missing in Leningrad....

Next day, at the eavening, in all the chaos and brouhaha of a small building, in Central Yerevan, where convoys were sent to Stepanakert, an old man, with 2cm glasses, a tiny brown, hand made jacket on his back , asked to be registered as a Volunteer, in russian!!! The women behind the desk was lost, she asked him to wait next room... At the end of the day, by chance an officer came to give instructions. He asked if there was still problems?? The women ended the list: 'Commander, there is an old fool next by, he's wainting for hours, and still refuses to leave...'

The officer, impressed by the age, went to persuade the old man. He still refused to leave...., asking the commander to call his General! No matter the arguments, he still began to shout loudly, ordering in Russian: 'call your general and tell him that Kristapor Ivanovitch Ivanian is a volonteer for Artzakh'!!! there was an othr officer next stage, who came in and asked: 'Are you the K. ivanian of the Artillary books? i studied in the academy, on your theory books!!!' Next Morning, the old men was in the office of the President of the republic, with the minister of Defense..., all were fullof emotion, and general Ivanian was appointed as military aid of the President, supervising the Armenian Army...' Things were going from bad to worse, and the old man was angry with the President, for giving him 'office work'...

One morning, he was reported missing... The same eavening, there was a massive attack on Hadrut front, things were going into chaos, orders were given to evacuate.... in all that hell, when in a panick mood, the last field canon was being taken back, an old man apeared in front of the track, on the Highway to Fizuli. Took the mortars and asked to help him... The boys were annoyed. They had orders to retreat, but this Strong head old man was refusing to leeve'... no matter all their talk, finally, in respect to his big age, they decided to stop for some minutes, and help the old fool... General Kristapor Ivanian, ex-Hero of the USSR, ex-Theorician of Soviet Artillary Academies, ex-Aid of the President of the Armenian Republic, turned into a simple artillary officer, ordering, shouting in Russian....

And the enemy was stopped! Soon the turkish fire was less and less acurate, less and less intensive.... Soon the little field cannon of the 'Missing' regiment registered new, captured material, Grad missiles.... Kristapor Ivanian, member and adviser of the NKR HQ, was assigned to create, from zero, NKR army's military academy, in a destroyed village, now named after him IVANOVKA. While fighting on 4 fronts, the NKR began forming new, 17-18 year old tank and artillary officers..., next to the frontline. One day the boys were in classes, learning in books, and next day, when situation tense, they were in practice, liberating Aghdam or Fizuli... War ended, for the first time after 1041, ani's fall, an armenian Army liberated lands... Gen Ivanian, called home, ex-Leningrad now St Petersbourg, to inform his whereabout.... The Government of the NKR, offered a big datcha, next to the Presidential palace to his 75 years Heroe, now Second in Command of its Army....

The russian wife installed in Stepanakert, but the old general refused comfort.. While he asked his whife to cultivate vegetables and poultery in their garden, to avoid expenses for the state, he went to live in his Division's HQ, near the frontline..., turning Home, Stepanakert, once a month only.... Gen Ivanian was Given the most difficult section of the front, the montains and forests of Chahoumian and Mardakert.... He was used to sleep 3-4 hours a day, the rest touring his positions... He was atheist as the original communists, knew virtually no Armenian, established soviet style discipline in his troops, imposed law and order, has build bunkers and garnisons, with soviet style harshness (the builders were given short terms, with at the end, the obligation to give best quality bunkers, if not, may God help them...)... He was feared as a'Stalin' in all Mardakert, at 75, sick with uretral and cancer problems, but checked all by his eyes...

He knew knothing of 'comfort/luxury'. lived in the same places as his officers, his men.... eated virtually the same as they did,a 'loligov tzevazegh' a day, a piece of bread and a cop of tea...( in 96, things were not as good as now for food). I had the honor to share his officer quarter bank for a short period, and I can't forget that old, severe, Russian speeking, but so emotional and good-heart man, sharing the cold, humid, icy morning ceremonial garnison 'nakhajachs' with 20-30 year old mens.... I can't forget the first day I was introduced to him. that 'Stalin' man, tears in his eyes, because he saw a young Diasporan, 'present to give a hand' to thoose forgotten 'SAVAGES'... Let alone the comic, while 2 different Diasporan's seving the same nation, were obliged to communicate with hands, or a Artsakhian parpar translator...

He had 2 Artzakhian horses, he used to tour the montain forest positions 2 or tree times a week..., and believe me its easier to say than to do, in such hard terrain, mines everywhere, and the enemy 100-150m away.... He served till his last day of life, past 75, to secure security for his old people...."

Նժդեհ

Comment

Working...
                      X