Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

The Rise of the Russian Empire: Russo-Armenian Relations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Rise of the Russian Empire: Russo-Armenian Relations

Originally posted by karoaper View Post
    Did you just call the most realistic modern combat flight sim a "game"? It's a sim created by a savvy Russian group of scientists and programmers. The mathematical flight simulation model is out of this world.
    Sorry dude, it's still make believe.

The info about the missiles was not just taken from the sim though. Here's a site dedicated to missiles, it's from fas.org,
    I familiar with the site, many of my links are from there.

but the info is corroborated in other sources. All the Russian air-to-air missiles require the launch aircraft to update course information at best, and a complete initial radar guidance form the launch aircraft at worst. Usually, the launch airplane then would have to maintain at least a 60 degree angle with the target, until the missile's own radar guidance takes over. Meanwhile, the American is completely launch-and-leave. This means that their pilots can launch and immediately evade or engage another target even if it's on the other side.
    I never argued this fact. However, the Soviets did not trust such fire-and-forget systems because they greatly increase the risks of friendly fire incidents. Also, as I tried to explain, the Soviets wanted simpler more affordable weapons systems for mass production and export purposes. None of this however means that they did not have the technology to produce fire-and-forget weapons. And the political chaos of the 90s did set them back a bit.

Nonetheless, take into consideration the medium range Active/Passive radar guided AA-12 Adder (see picture below, the red middle missile on the SU-30 wing). The air-to-air missile in question is similar to the American Amraam, its fire and forget. And, in fact, the AA-12 can hit target much farther than the Amraam. And the AA-12's development was begun in the early 80s, so its not new to the Russians.

Also consider the highly maneuverable short range Infra Red AA-11 Archer, amongst the best in its kind (the wig tip outboard missiles on the SU-34):

Now, the radar of the 4th generation Russian planes might very likely be on par or better than the American planes, but both Mig29 and Su27 of the early 90s had radar inferior to the F15, which by the way didn't match either the Su or Mig in other aspects, including the electro-optical aiming system. The Russian "Shkval" system was top notch.
    Their avionics, electronics, computers, radars, etc, have improved greatly during the past ten years or so. I think the new radar systems on board the late model Migs and SUs are superior to the ones in the west, at least that is what experts say.

Also, consider their most dangerous anti-ship missiles on earth - the Moskit (Sunburn) and the Yakhont (Onyx) both can be fired from several combat aircrafts as well as various types of ships and land vehicles:

Moskit

Yakhont

And as you have pointed out, Shkval, the high speed underwater missile/torpedo is simply legendary:

Shkval

And there is also the high speed long range anti-AWACS missile called the Novator KS-172 AAM-L:

Novator

And I did not even begin to talk about the S-300s and the S-400s.
    Last edited by Armenian; 07-07-2007, 06:48 PM.
    Մեր ժողովուրդն արանց հայրենասիրութեան այն է, ինչ որ մի մարմին' առանց հոգու:

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

Armenian, the AA-12 does indeed have longer range, but it's not launch-and-leave.

The AA-12 has rectangular narrow span wings and a distinctive set of four rectangular control surfaces at the rear. similar to the configuration used on the terminal control fins of the SS-21 'Scarab' and SS-23 'Spider' ballistic missiles. These unique control surfaces feature reduced flow separation at high angles of attack, producing greater aerodynamic moment force than conventional control surfaces. The missile's guidance is inertial with mid-course updates from the launch aircraft, followed by a terminal active radar phase from an acquisition range of about 20 kilometers. Development of the missile is believed to have begun around in 1982.
      Also, the Russians may or may not have had the technology, but the launch-and-leave capability is a definite advantage, though a good Russian aircraft pilot can probably negate most of that advantage. As far as the infrared missiles, the Russian "Archer" is indeed amazing, as is the passive homing and target acquisition technology of the Russian aircraft.

I actually didn't know about "Shkval" the torpedo. Looks deadly. The "Shkval" I mentioned is actually the name of the electro-optical target acquisition system in the Russian combat aircraft.
      Last edited by karoaper; 07-07-2007, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Armenian, the AA-12 does indeed have longer range, but it's not launch-and-leave.
        It is fire-and-forget according to many sites I have been reading, such as this one: http://warfare.ru/?linkid=2356&catid=262

I think the information you posted was about the R-77, the predecessor to the AA-12 AMRAAMski.

I actually didn't know about "Shkval" the torpedo. Looks deadly.
        I thought you meant the underwater missile. The Shkval has been sending shock-waves throughout western naval agencies. No submarine on earth can escape it, and no one in the west has been able to figure out how the missile functions. Some say that the sinking of the Kursk had to do with American and British intelligence attempting to gather intelligence on the Shkval.

Watch this very interesting video presentation called Russian Navy - Secrets of the Kursk:

Part-I http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5BdJcb3iSg
        Part-II http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d3Pv...elated&search=
        Last edited by Armenian; 07-07-2007, 07:44 PM.

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

That's really interesting. I suppose the next time Russians won't xxxx around when western submarines are around.

Comment

I forgot to include perhaps the finest close air support aircraft in the world today, the flying tank SU-25TM (aka SU-39).

SU-25TN

Sukhoi Su-25 Frogfoot (Russia) (video): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4CLqwLxroQ

Su-25 Sentry Lion 2006(video): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZFQJ...elated&search=

Info: http://www.airshow.ru/expo/412/prod_211.htm
            Info: http://www.aero-enthusiast.com/AC%20data/Su-25TM39.html

Su-39 sniper-aircraft

The Su-39 sniper aircraft Is Intended to operate In Air-to-Air and Air-to-Surface modes and to implement the missions, perfomanse of which by ofher strike facticl purpose platforms Is almost Impossible. On Customer request, the aircraft can be equipped with imported avionics.

The Su-39 peculiar features:

Round-the-clock performance at active counteraction of the enemy air defense, under simple and adverse weather conditions; sighting through the on-board optical-television 23-times zoom system or through the radar sighting device:
            - detection and destruction of moving targets such as tanks, speed boats or helicopters with 0,9 probability;
            - autonomous detection and destruction of warships, from high-speed boats and up to torpedo-boat destroyers;
            - destruction of modern air defense platforms in any of their operation modes;
            - Self protection against fighters and Air-to-Air close combat;
            - High maneuverability at low and medium altitudes;
            - Operation from mountains airfields with runway elevation up to 3000 m;
            - Almost 100 % protection of pilots and all vital aircraft systems against destruction by 30 mm caliber of cannon armament and its splinters.
            The Su-39 aircraft provides application of the following:

Air-to-Surface` weapons:

- Missiles with laser homing with accuracy 0,5 m at targets up to 10 km away and universal aircraft weapons
            - antitank guided missile `Vihre` (16 pieces);
            - Antiship, antiradar and TV-homing missiles;
            - Corrected bombs with TV-homing.

Air-to-Air` weapons:

- Close-in and long-distance missiles with active and semi-active seekers; with IR-guidance seekers.

Unguided weapons:

- Bombs, rockets and built-in cannon of 30 mm caliber.

Նժդեհ

Comment

Originally posted by skhara View Post
              karo, couldn't the Mig-29s be outfitted with the launch and leave type setup too? I'm not really all that educated on technical aspects of fighter aircraft.
              Oh the discussion about the missiles has nothing to do with the jets. Certainly you could put anything you wanted on the jets. In fact, the jets are simply weapon platforms so you can put a giant anti-ship missile on them if you wanted.

Comment

Here's the episode on the Russian Gyumri base. Overall the relationship is reported to be very warm. When asked where they would spend their holidays, all soldiers said here in Armenia (of course many are Armenians contractors).

Blog and pics: http://pilot.strizhi.info/2007/01/03/1552
                Video: http://pilot.strizhi.info/2007/02/28/2964 (click on the first link under the pic that says "Сюжет тут")

Also, a small miniblog about the base on the border between Armenia and Turkey.
                Part 1: http://pilot.strizhi.info/2007/05/01/3156#more-3156

Part 2:http://pilot.strizhi.info/2007/05/01/3170#more-3170
                Last edited by karoaper; 07-08-2007, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Great find karo. By the way, is this fella a soldier in the Russian contingent?

I'm glad to hear that the people in Gyumri, treat these young troopers very well.

Comment

Here's the episode on the Russian Gyumri base...
                    Outstanding work young comrade! Your selfless efforts on the Turkish front have been recognized by high command. As a result we are please to announce that you have been selected to receive this medal for Combat Service. The Medal for Combat Service is awarded for skillful, original and brave action in performance of military duties, for keeping the army in military preparedness and for service rendered in protection of the country's borders.

{pins medal upon Karo's chest}

{applause}

The video presentation of the Russian 102nd base in Gyumri is located in Youtube as well. I was going to post it later when I highlighted Russian land forces, you beat me to it.

Russian 102nd Military Base // Gyumri // Armenia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noqMHlYYNrc

Նժդեհ

Comment

Originally posted by Armenian View Post
                      Outstanding work young comrade! Your selfless efforts on the Turkish front have been recognized by high command. As a result we are please to announce that you have been selected to receive this medal for Combat Service. The Medal for Combat Service is awarded for skillful, original and brave action in performance of military duties, for keeping the army in military preparedness and for service rendered in protection of the country's borders.

{pins medal upon Karo's chest}

{applause}
                      Lol, dude you're a piece of work, you know that, as they say "demk es"!

Thanks for the medal though bro. Important thing is I've got a better medal than tovarish Skhara!
                      Last edited by karoaper; 07-09-2007, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X