Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Good languages for Armenians to learn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good languages for Armenians to learn?

Obviously I would say Armenian the language of your host country but what other languages are helpful to Armenians? I am considering/looking into studying in Armenia for a semester or a year (maybe more!) and am wondering what languages Hayastantzis speak. Russian, French, Arabic, etc.?

Also: Should Armenians learn Turkish or is it a language to be avoided?

Yes al chorseh amisner arevmtahayeren sorvogh yeghadz @llam. arevlahayeren shad tzhvar eh hasgnal? Is learning Western Armenian a hinderence if I want to study in Armenia?

Re: Good languages for Armenians to learn?

Originally posted by yerazhishda View Post
    Obviously I would say Armenian the language of your host country but what other languages are helpful to Armenians? I am considering/looking into studying in Armenia for a semester or a year (maybe more!) and am wondering what languages Hayastantzis speak. Russian, French, Arabic, etc.? Also: Should Armenians learn Turkish or is it a language to be avoided? Yes al chorseh amisner arevmtahayeren sorvogh yeghadz @llam. arevlahayeren shad tzhvar eh hasgnal? Is learning Western Armenian a hinderence if I want to study in Armenia?
    It would be nice if you first learned how to speak proper Armenian...
    Մեր ժողովուրդն արանց հայրենասիրութեան այն է, ինչ որ մի մարմին' առանց հոգու:

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

if you are going to go to Armenia learn eastern armenian, because people will probably have a hard time understanding you. Its not hard to learn just a few differences and in eastern armenian you will notice there are many Russian loan words and some some vocabulary differences, so getting familiar with Russian wouldn't hurt also. If you want to learn a second language then best choice would be Russian from an Armenian's standpoint. It is very useful in Armenia(and around the world esp. eastern europe) to know Russian. But make sure your Armenian is solid at a scholarly level before you go on.
      Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
      ---
      "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Originally posted by yerazhishda
        that's why i'm learning...what did i say wrong?
        I think he meant, before you explore the world, know your backyard better.

Yeah, its not just visiting, you have to understand, you are 1/4th Armenian, so, its going to tough picking up on the culture, you could visit, which is great to take your tourism dollars there, but don't do it for the sake of filling up the emptyness of a lacking identity. You have to understand, you have to have a mind set of giving up the other quarters for the Armenian people, there is no middle ground, just some friendly advice. This idea of "learning the language" is just superficial, there are Armenians that know the language and are Armenian in blood, but they lack the ideology of the Armenian people, conversly, it is not sufficient to "volunteer" to "help out", this is also superficial, nationalism has no quota and does not pay hourly wages, it is all or nothing, love it or leave it.

Anyways, I don't think you speak "that bad", but at least you are trying, so its cool, but before you learn any other language, focus on Armenian, at least build up your vocabulary, you will probably build up your language skills at home if any of your family members know how to speak, but again, how can they, you are a quarter Armenian? Anyhow, good luck on your path to learning Armenian.

Comment

and aren't you always talking about how Armenians should learn Armenian? Instead of tearing me down why don't you politely correct me?
          You have to understand, all or nothing, everything else the Armenian media and the Diaspora tells you, it is a lie, you gotta have a all or nothing mentality. The language just gives you the basic tools to communicate with Armenians, how much you communicate, when you communicate, and why you communicate pulls you into the Armenian people and you begin to pick up on the ideology and belief system. Quotas or putting up set goals is just fruitless venture, there is no technical way of "being Armenian", it is a lifetime aspiration.

Comment

[QUOTE=Virgil;188116]You have to understand, all or nothing, everything else the Armenian media and the Diaspora tells you, it is a lie, you gotta have a all or nothing mentality. [QUOTE]

If we have learned anything from the last 100 years it is that blind nationalist absolutism leads to a spiritually and physically diseased nation

Comment

You're right the culture in Armenia is different because the culture in the spiurk is 1. Western Armenian and 2. has been stuck almost in a freezeframe since 1920.

And i don't plan on devoting my whole life to any nation - I reserve that right only for God. Remember you can't serve two masters. And is Armenian Ultra-nationalism the only way to be Armenian? Maybe for you but if everyone became a nationalist wouldn't they be no better off than the Ottomans and the Bolsheviks; i.e. blindly serving the state?

Aren't there other ways one can express being Armenian other than being political - through Art, Music, Religion, Philosophy and all other good things?

btw - these are just questions/thoughts don't mean to offend you or anything etc. etc.
              Superficial existence is not a existence at all. And there does exists a strong culture and mind set in Armenia today, it is a mind set you can only understand if you are willing to change. I can tell you that the idea of "walking the fence" is ridiculous and stupid, at some point in your life you will have to choose between the "two masters", just warning you.

Comment

Originally posted by yerazhishda View Post

If we have learned anything from the last 100 years it is that blind nationalist absolutism leads to a spiritually and physically diseased nation
                Blind nationalism? Nothing blind about it, it is funny, I would say the opposite is true. Armenians lack nationalism, if they did, we would not be in the "spiritually and physically diseased nation", but it slowly picking back in Armenia, so I could care less what "Diasporian" has to say about it, they can take their opinions and shove it up their ass. Bottomline, in a 100 or so years, the Diaspora will only exist in the margins of census records, while Armenia, will still flourish as a independent state.

Comment

Originally posted by Virgil View Post
                  Superficial existence is not a existence at all. And there does exists a strong culture and mind set in Armenia today, it is a mind set you can only understand if you are willing to change. I can tell you that the idea of "walking the fence" is ridiculous and stupid, at some point in your life you will have to choose between the "two masters", just warning you.
                  I agree: superficial existence is not an existence. But most would consider (myself included) subservience to any state to be a "superficial existence".

if we have to choose between God and being Armenian then in your view would Armenia be better off if it were primarily (culturally) secular?

Comment

that's why i'm learning...what did i say wrong? and aren't you always talking about how Armenians should learn Armenian? Instead of tearing me down why don't you politely correct me?
                    Dude, I am not attacking you. Like my buddy Virgil more-or-less said: First master your identity.

You wrote:

and am wondering what languages Hayastantzis speak. Russian, French, Arabic, etc.? Also: Should Armenians learn Turkish or is it a language to be avoided?
                    And your thread title is:

Good languages for Armenians to learn?
                    Therefore, a "good" language for an Armenian to learn is, Armenian - that is if they don't know it. And basing my opinion on what you tired to write, you don't know Armenian. Learn Armenian. You don't speak Armenian and you want to learn Turkish? What kind of BS is that?

Why is it that everyone thinks I attack them
                    Մեր ժողովուրդն արանց հայրենասիրութեան այն է, ինչ որ մի մարմին' առանց հոգու:

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X