Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Eastern & Western Armenians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Eastern & Western Armenians

Originally posted by ArmSurvival View Post

As for vras kure (Վրաս գրէ), you basically say it when someone stresses something that is unimportant for you. Its kind of like saying 'write it on me, since I don't care'.

Yea, now it makes sense. Had you written in Armenian letters, I would have probably guessed.
    'Kure' actually confused me. For 'kure', I had the verb 'ուռել'/ 'կուռէ' in mind not 'գրել'. But we have a similar expression ( to the one you mentioned), which is used in its negative form though. It's like "chem grum"(present) or "chgram" ( past) meaning "I don't care about something or somebody, pay no attention".

Do you know the meaning of the following expression; " Շան անունը տուր, փայտը վերցրու." ?

Theres also Kak gerank hos yegank (Քաք կէրանք հոս եկանք), which is when you go somewhere and things aren't turning out well, usually contrary to your expectations.
    LOL, what's wrong with you guys?? All your expressions contain the word 'kak'??

Originally posted by Armenian View Post
    Lucin jan, "foreign" words in Armenia come almost exclusively via Russia, and Russians have a different way of pronouncing words than westerners. The փ and the թ are used for hard 'P' and 'T' sounds. In Armenian and Russian speech the P and the T in the word "president" are soft. As a result, they use the Պ for the soft p and the տ for the soft t. Also, in Armenia, the letter ք is reserved exclusive for the q sound, which is more-or-less a hard k sound.
    Right, it might be a Russian influence. But I wonder if 'hard' sounds such as 'փ' /'թ' /'ք' exist in Russian as well??
    Last edited by Lucin; 04-04-2008, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucin
      Do you know the meaning of the following expression; " Շան անունը տուր, փայտը վերցրու." ?
      Is it something like "if you insult someone, get ready to fight", or "mention his name and prepare to fight"?

Originally posted by Lucin
      LOL, what's wrong with you guys?? All your expressions contain the word 'kak'??

lol ya, you just reminded me, there is another piece of slang that is quite common among western Armenians. You can say "Շատ քաքեն բան մըն է" to refer to something that is amazing, crazy or just downright crappy (you will know which one the person means depending on the context).

Comment

Originally posted by Lucin View Post

pointy, shiny shoes,
        What the phuck are you guys talking about?

Ohh, Karo, I forgot... do you wear a black leather jacket too??
        Is there something wrong with that? I wear one all the time, with black leather gloves, and a black winter hat.

Right, it might be a Russian influence. But I wonder if 'hard' sounds such as 'փ' /'թ' /'ք' exist in Russian as well??
        What do you guys mean by "hard"? What makes them "hard"? Russian has both hard and soft sound for the consonants.

Comment

Originally posted by skhara View Post
          What the phuck are you guys talking about?

Is there something wrong with that? I wear one all the time, with black leather gloves, and a black winter hat.

Wow... I'm sorry Skhara but you need an 'extreme' makeover. Next time you go shopping, let me know.

What do you guys mean by "hard"? What makes them "hard"? Russian has both hard and soft sound for the consonants.
          Apparentely, they have (soft) sounds such as 'պ' or ' տ' ( in Armenian) but do they have 'փ' or ' թ' like 'p' and 'T' in English as well??

Is it something like "if you insult someone, get ready to fight", or "mention his name and prepare to fight"?
          It's a bit hard to guess this expression. It means you are talking about someone, you are mentioning his name that coincidentally he enters the room or you encounter him in the same place.
          Last edited by Lucin; 04-06-2008, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Wow... I'm sorry Skhara but you need an 'extreme' makeover. Next time you go shopping, let me know.
            So do I need to get the pointy shoes? They sound kind of gay.

Apparentely, they have (soft) sounds such as 'պ' or ' տ' ( in Armenian) but do they have 'փ' or ' թ' like 'p' and 'T' in English as well??
            Russian has both harder and softer sounds for the constants, there just isn't any emphasis on differentiation. The russian letter 'п' may come off sounding as something in between 'պ' and 'փ', or leaning towards one or the other depending on the word.

I am still a bit confused by what you guys mean by "hard". To me this sounds hard: 'պ' or ' տ'.

Comment

Originally posted by Armenian
              In Armenian and Russian speech the P and the T in the word "president" are soft.

Do you know what the phonetic rule is for deciding what is soft or hard in a certain word?

Or do you simply mean to say that the vast majority of Latin words come to Armenia via Russia, and thus Armenians pronounce them like Russians do?

Originally posted by Armenian
              Also, in Armenia, the letter ք is reserved exclusive for the q sound, which is more-or-less a hard k sound.
              So what do they use for a regular "c" sound?

Comment

I am still a bit confused by what you guys mean by "hard". To me this sounds hard: 'պ' or ' տ'.
                Hard P as in the P in Platoon. In Armenian initial letter of the word would be 'փ' not 'պ'. The 'պ' is a soft P or a hard B. There is no direct counterpart to the Armenian 'պ' in English.

Or do you simply mean to say that the vast majority of Latin words come to Armenia via Russia, and thus Armenians pronounce them like Russians do?
                Yes, that's it.

So what do they use for a regular "c" sound?
                C as in the "s" sound?
                Մեր ժողովուրդն արանց հայրենասիրութեան այն է, ինչ որ մի մարմին' առանց հոգու:

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

C as in Canada. In western Armenian գ=c and ք=k, but you said that in eastern Armenian ք is reserved for a hard k sound like 'q'. So there is no soft k sound (like գ for western Armenian), in eastern Armenian?

Comment

In western Armenian գ=c and ք=k, but you said that in eastern Armenian ք is reserved for a hard k sound like 'q'. So there is no soft k sound (like գ for western Armenian), in eastern Armenian?
                    In Eastern Armenian, the letter կ is soft, like the 'k' in sky, while the letter ք is hard, like the 'k' in king.

It's a bit hard to guess this expression. It means you are talking about someone, you are mentioning his name that coincidentally he enters the room or you encounter him in the same place.
                    Like the English expression, 'talk of the Devil and he will appear'!

Comment

Thanks for the clarification... I was guessing it was կ, but wasn't completely sure.

Comment

Working...
                      X