Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

The Case for Siamanto and Other Forward-Thinking Armenians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Case for Siamanto and Other Forward-Thinking Armenians

Originally posted by Anonymouse View Post
    That it could have been chance that I am Armenian and not a Turk is beside the point.
    Not when you're trying to get others to realize the frailty of their ultranationalist paradigms.

It could be argued that it was chance I was born human and not an ostrich, but that misses the point. That all depends on how one views the world. Do you see everything around you as accident and chance, or intelligent and purposeful?
    Well that all depends on whether you believe in God or not. If you do believe in God, this life does have meaning. If you do not believe in God whatever you do on this earth will ultimately have no meaning - memory of you ever existing will be destroyed along with the rest of the planet.

Comment

Originally posted by freakyfreaky View Post
      Yeraz, I thought your essay was very good. Keep it up.
      Thanks for the encouragement.

Comment

Originally posted by KarotheGreat View Post
        To bad it was nationalists fighting in Artsakh, it was them who were dying there. Not forward thinkers, it were nationalists wo made the country independent. Yes nationalisme is so bad.

I hope all of you so called free minds will be there when Armenia needs you. But I'm not counting on it. It will be nationalists giving their lifes so the country they love more than their own lifes, more than the life of their families can exist. Think about that
        Karo, I think you missed the point.

Yeraz did not dismiss the importance of nationalism.

He was speaking about ultra-nationalism.

Look at Turkey right now and all the rumblings of a 'deep state'.

There is a rift in the country between moderates and the ultranationals and a rarely discussed fear of military coup.
        Between childhood, boyhood,
        adolescence
        & manhood (maturity) there
        should be sharp lines drawn w/
        Tests, deaths, feats, rites
        stories, songs & judgements

- Morrison, Jim. Wilderness, vol. 1, p. 22

Comment

Originally posted by KarotheGreat View Post
          To bad it was nationalists fighting in Artsakh, it was them who were dying there. Not forward thinkers, it were nationalists wo made the country independent. Yes nationalisme is so bad.

I hope all of you so called free minds will be there when Armenia needs you. But I'm not counting on it. It will be nationalists giving their lifes so the country they love more than their own lifes, more than the life of their families can exist. Think about that
          There is a big difference between the people you are talking about and the ones he is talking about. He is talking about the wannabees that cause country/people more damage with their ways than good and call them selfs nationalist.

Comment

Originally posted by yerazhishda View Post
            Not surprisingly, you have chosen to respond to my ideas in a passive-aggressive, ad hominem fashion.
            Only because I'm tired of explaining things to people. You seem to be smart and a decent person, but your intellect is not yet fully developed and your perception of the world around you is yet inadequate. Learn to question things. Learn to look at things in depth. Train yourself to see the big picture. Being young you have a lot of energy, but you lack wisdom. Just my opinion.
            Մեր ժողովուրդն արանց հայրենասիրութեան այն է, ինչ որ մի մարմին' առանց հոգու:

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Armenian View Post
              Only because I'm tired of explaining things to people. You seem to be smart and a decent person, but your intellect is not yet fully developed and your perception of the world around you is yet inadequate. Learn to question things. Learn to look at things in depth. Train yourself to see the big picture. Being young you have a lot of energy, but you lack wisdom. Just my opinion.
              This from the all-knowing, omnipotent one.

Sounds to me like you are transferring, Armenian.
              Between childhood, boyhood,
              adolescence
              & manhood (maturity) there
              should be sharp lines drawn w/
              Tests, deaths, feats, rites
              stories, songs & judgements

- Morrison, Jim. Wilderness, vol. 1, p. 22

Comment

Look, from my own opinion, there seems to be a genuine disagreement of ideas. However, it does not just end there. Ideas are powerful things and define us in ways unimaginable, unforeseen and unconscious and we are not even aware of them. They often become a fabric and essence of who we are and how we see the world. They essentially become one with our own paradigm and edifice of thought, and thus when there is an attack upon the ideas we hold dear, we feel it is an attack upon us as individuals and our ways of seeing the world because we have become so intimately woven with these ideas that it forms a fabric of our lives.

However, I believe there is a common way to get across ideas without threatening the other persons' views or edifice of thought.

For example, the title of the thread speaks of "Other Forward Thinking Armenians." What is implied in that is that any views that are contrarian to those expressed by those individuals are backward and narrow-minded, while those who agree with those posters are forward thinking and progressive and open-minded. I am not stating this because I agree with what Armenian and the rest say, because I disagree with alot of what they say, but I certainly disagree with alot of what Siamanto, etc., say.

Such nuances are what cause such a rift I believe.

It is akin to people who (mostly liberals) think of themselves as "open-minded," or "tolerant," but in order to be so, you must believe in minimum wage, gun control, , egalitarianism, race mixing, abortion, homosexual marriage, promiscuity, and government hand-outs. That is what is called "open-minded" and "tolerant". Those who do not are obviously narrow minded.

This is just how it works. If we change these types of structuring, then perhaps we can make a difference.
                Last edited by Anonymouse; 07-03-2008, 01:36 PM.
                Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Armenian View Post
                  You're earlier post in this thread seems to suggest that you think otherwise.

What is the big picture? I am looking at the big picture.

Comment

This is just how it works. If we change these types of structuring, then perhaps we can make a difference.
                    I like to think of the title of my post more of an invitation than an indictment, but you are probably right that it is percieved otherwise.

Comment

It is akin to people who (mostly liberals) think of themselves as "open-minded," or "tolerant," but in order to be so, you must believe in minimum wage, gun control, , egalitarianism, race mixing, abortion, homosexual marriage, promiscuity, and government hand-outs. That is what is called "open-minded" and "tolerant". Those who do not are obviously narrow minded.
                      Are you for real? If you are open-minded you have to believe in all you mentioned?

Comment

Working...
                      X