Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Armenian Girls Dating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armenian Girls Dating?

Hey everyone (cute smily)

I'm new to this forum and I'm glad I stumbled upon it. I'm doing an essay for my college English class and I was wondering if you guys could help me...

Here's my claim: It is not accepted in most Armenian families for the daughter to date in middle school/high school.

I'm refereing to the Armenian families where the parents were born in Armenian and they immigrated to another country. I would like to quote some of your answers in my essay if you don't mind. And if you want to be quoted, your answer is still welcome, because I think this is a great topic to discuss. I tried searching for it, but couldn’t find anything on this topic.

Okay, tell me what your experiences are; what do your parents think? If they don't approve of dating, do you do it behind their back?

Guys you can help me out to! Does this affect you in any way?

Thanks in advance for your help! I'm looking forward to a great discussion.

Re: Armenian Girls Dating?

Why are you combining middle school and high school? There is a HUGE difference between 12 or 13 year olds vs 17 or 18 year olds IMO. I do agree that middle-school age is considered far too young to date (among Armenians as well as many others) but towards the later years of high school, I don't think it's an issue of approval or non-approval on the community level ... it really comes down to a case by case basis. Also, I would think it's naturally a bit more strict on the older siblings than the younger ones since by the time the younger ones get around to it, the parents have a better idea of how to deal with such issues
    this post = teh win.

Comment

I agree with Sip; midde school children are far too young to even consider dating and that has nothing to do with being Armenian. I do know a lot of Armenian parents who don't let their children date throughout high school.

I'm a guy but I have a sister who is several years older than I am. She didn't date anyone in high school although she did "talk" to one or two guys throughout the entire time. My parents are as you say, they immigrated to California. However, my parents are not as strict as other Armenian parents but they have their own way of setting rules. I think they would have let my sister date someone who was... how can I say this? Normal. She didn't date anyone because everyone that age is... how can I say this? Stupid.

Anyway, parents should definitely have rules in the household and it is not uncommon for them to tell their children not the date. I just don't think I would be that strict and forbid them. Age doesn't really matter, it really depends on who you are and who the guy is.

Comment

Okay, I'll throw the middle school part out and concentrate more on High School and dating in general. Thanks

Most of my friends in high school had bf behind their parents/brothers/cousins' back. I probably can name max two girls whos parents knew and were okay with it.

My parents arn't crazy strict, but when it comes to dating its a big no no. I do agree with Sip on the fact that the older kids have it worse than the younger ones. I'm the oldest of my two sisters and I didn't do half the things the youngest one does.

Comment

Originally posted by Lena View Post
          Most of my friends in high school had bf behind their parents/brothers/cousins' back. I probably can name max two girls whos parents knew and were okay with it.
          These are the girls who end up being pregnant in high school, turn to drugs and alcohol, and/or flush their lives down the toilet.

Doing something behind your parents back is horrible. You see, the parents pressure them and force them not to date -- for all the wrong reasons, probably, because they have no parenting skills in the first place -- so the kids rebel against them and do it anyway. These girls love risk and being bad... I hate that. I've seen it my entire life, my own cousin went down the path, and tell me... where is she now?

Comment

Originally posted by One-Way View Post
            These are the girls who end up being pregnant in high school, turn to drugs and alcohol, and/or flush their lives down the toilet.

Doing something behind your parents back is horrible. You see, the parents pressure them and force them not to date -- for all the wrong reasons, probably, because they have no parenting skills in the first place -- so the kids rebel against them and do it anyway. These girls love risk and being bad... I hate that. I've seen it my entire life, my own cousin went down the path, and tell me... where is she now?
            Wow talk about generalization! None of my friends ended up pregnant or ever tried drugs. When we used to hang out, we went to the movies, bowling, or went out to eat but that was pretty much it. We would spend our weekends with our parents or together at eachothers house. Yah it must be fun to be bad because bad girls don't give a flying bird what people have to say about them they do what they want when they want and how they want it. Us? No thanks. Even though it seemed as though the "bad girls" were having all the fun, in the end we won all the respect. I'm sorry but you totally over-exaggerated.

Sorry to hear about your cousin, but not all girls are like that. Just because you have a bf behind your parents' back doesn't mean your doing other things to. Yah most girls do, but there are still good ones out there you know.

Only two of my friends are still with the guy they were going out with in high school, the rest moved on but they didn't flush their lives down the toilet or do things they knew was really wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Lena View Post
              Wow talk about generalization! None of my friends ended up pregnant or ever tried drugs. When we used to hang out, we went to the movies, bowling, or went out to eat but that was pretty much it. We would spend our weekends with our parents or together at eachothers house. Yah it must be fun to be bad because bad girls don't give a flying bird what people have to say about them they do what they want when they want and how they want it. Us? No thanks. Even though it seemed as though the "bad girls" were having all the fun, in the end we won all the respect. I'm sorry but you totally over-exaggerated.

Sorry to hear about your cousin, but not all girls are like that. Just because you have a bf behind your parents' back doesn't mean your doing other things to. Yah most girls do, but there are still good ones out there you know.

Only two of my friends are still with the guy they were going out with in high school, the rest moved on but they didn't flush their lives down the toilet or do things they knew was really wrong.
              I'm known to generalize but then again, as far as I'm concerned, you'll be doing the same when you call me out on it. Of course, that's not how all girls turn out. That's like saying someone who experiments with drugs in high school will turn out to be a failure in life. Negative, we all know it's very likely but not necessarily true.

What I'm trying to say is girls who don't listen to their parents end up going down a wrong path in life. First of all, kids in high school should be concerned about what's next in their lives; college, finding a job, getting a proper education. Of course, all they want to do is date boys. When their parents say no, they do it anyway. I'm glad your two friends turned out fine but chances are they'll end up doing other things behind their parents backs. For example, getting married, lying, etc.

Comment

This is so deep.

Armenians, are like, uh, you know, a buncha daters!
                Achkerov kute.

Comment

dater haterz?
                  this post = teh win.

Comment

There's gotta be something in that California water.

Comment

Working...
                    X