Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Life in Armenia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Life in Armenia

"corruption" should be no excuse to stop helping your homeland. Think of this, most of the money donated to major humanitarian orgs in America like the red cross goes to overhead (nice term for embezzlement?). I have full confidence in the UAF! I give money every year and I follow that they do. sometimes the money is not used in the best way, but its not the end of the world. Next time we make sure they dont do the same mistakes. This is how you go forward, not by constantly xxxxxing and staying out of the game.

Peace!

Comment

I see everything here is taken too literally. What I said was a figure of speech. It is obvious that those Armenians in charge should do everything they can to make a humanitarian organisation as efficient and fair as possible and eliminate corruption, without doubt. My point was more general, that most Armenians use the "corruption" word as an end in itself, as a way to justify why they will not contribute, why they do not invest in their country etc.

The number of investments made in Armenia is a joke taking into account the wealth of our Diaspora. I repeat. Nothing will stop those who really care about their motherland from investing in their own country. Where there is a will, there is a way.

Corruption has been decreasing year by year, and indeed, in our newly-fledged republic, a lot of things still needs change. Corruption should not be an excuse for one not to invest in their motherland (some people do not donate to Armenia Fund because they think it is corrupt, others don't want to do anything in Armenia because they find the whole of Armenia corrupt).

Unfortunately, the bravest (and true) Armenians who dare to invest in Armenia now, will have to deal with the largest amount of corruption. Because of these people, Armenia will develop more, corruption will decrease as wealth increases and investments will grow, after which the Armenian economy will grow more, social welfare will increase, and corruption will decrease again, after which investments will continue to grow, etc. etc.

Without these few people, the heroes of our nation, who dare to invest in Armenia (and by investing, I not only mean donating money, but also by their efforts to decrease the corruption, increase government and corporate efficiency, etc.), Armenia would remain poor.

I don't worry about those who have donated, or have invested in Armenia, I worry about those who did not, and the reasons behind it.

I hope my point is clear now. Now make a choice, on which side are you?
      Last edited by Tigranakert; 11-27-2011, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Armenian economy is heavily reliant on the Diaspora with investments, lobbying, and remittances. Almost every family in Armenia has a relative abroad that sends back money. So without a doubt keeping the ties between Diaspora and the Homeland is very key. We need to always encourage and make easier such investments from compatriots in other countries. We need to improve on and make bigger the Armenia-Diaspora programs that exist.
        Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
        ---
        "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Former Armenian FM under Robert Kocharian, Vartan Oskanian, was on Al Jazeera talking about the Armenian economy, the impact of the Eurozone crisis on it as well as Iran's and Russia's role in Armenia's economy.

Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

On the morning of Friday, December 9, 2011, Nareg Hartounian, founder of the Naregatsi Art Institute in Yerevan and Shushi was arrested on trumped up charges of tax evasion. Within the course of a day, he was indicted, tried and found guilty without proper due process. Authorities in the Armenian government are attempting to extort Nareg and his family of properties and money by the use of fear and unjust incarceration. For anyone that knows Nareg personally or knows of the incredibly selfless and important work he does in Armenia and Artsakh supporting the arts, as well as children and the disabled, it is easy to understand why this act by Armenian authorities is especially despicable.

Please sign this petition and help us set Nareg free again to continue his great work. We cannot afford to lose men and women like him. They are the people who keep our country and our world moving forward. We are also running petitions at the Naregatsi Art Institute. If you are in Yerevan, please visit and show your support. Thank You!

Address: Vardanants 16/1, Yerevan, Armenia
            Facebook: www.facebook.com/FreeNareg

2011թ. դեկտեմբերի 9-ի առավոտյան ձերբակալել են Երեւանում եւ Շուշիում «Նարեկացի» արվեստի ինստիտուտի հիմնադիր Նարեկ Հարությունյանին՝ հարկերից խուսափելու մեղադրանքով: Մեկ օրվա ընթացքում նրան մեղադրել են, հարցաքննել եւ մեղավոր ճանաչել առանց պատշաճ ընթացակարգերի: Հայաստանի կոռումպացված իշխանավորները փորձում են վախի եւ անիրավ ազատազրկման միջոցով զրկել Նարեկին եւ նրա ընտանիքին գույքից եւ փողից: Ովքեր ճանաչում են Նարեկին կամ նրա անձնուրաց եւ կարեւոր գործը, որը խրախուսում է արվեստը, ինչպես նաեւ աջակցում է երեխաներին եւ հաշմանդամներին Հայաստանում եւ Արցախում, բոլոր նրանց համար հեշտ է հասկանալ, թե ինչու է Հայաստանի իշխանությունների այս քայլը խայտառակություն:

Խնդրում ենք ձեզ օգնել ազատել Նարեգին, նաև որ նա կարողանա շարունակել իր հրաշալի գործը: Մենք չենք կարող նրա նման մարդկանց կորցնել, քանի որ նրանք են, որ առաջ են տանում մեր երկիրը և աշխարհը: Մենք ստորագրահավաք ենք կազմակերպում Նարեկացի Արվեստի Միությունում, և եթե դուք գնտվում եք Երևանում, խնդրում ենք ձեզ այցելել կենտրոն և աջակցել Նարեգին: Շնորհակալություն!

Հասցե: Վարդանանց 16/1, Երեւան, Հայաստան
            Ֆեյսբուք: www.facebook.com/FreeNareg

Comment

Originally posted by Mher View Post
              http://www.change.org/petitions/arme...ent-free-nareg
              On the morning of Friday, December 9, 2011, Nareg Hartounian, founder of the Naregatsi Art Institute in Yerevan and Shushi was arrested on trumped up charges of tax evasion. Within the course of a day, he was indicted, tried and found guilty without proper due process. Authorities in the Armenian government are attempting to extort Nareg and his family of properties and money by the use of fear and unjust incarceration. For anyone that knows Nareg personally or knows of the incredibly selfless and important work he does in Armenia and Artsakh supporting the arts, as well as children and the disabled, it is easy to understand why this act by Armenian authorities is especially despicable.

Please sign this petition and help us set Nareg free again to continue his great work. We cannot afford to lose men and women like him. They are the people who keep our country and our world moving forward. We are also running petitions at the Naregatsi Art Institute. If you are in Yerevan, please visit and show your support. Thank You!

Address: Vardanants 16/1, Yerevan, Armenia
              Facebook: www.facebook.com/FreeNareg

2011թ. դեկտեմբերի 9-ի առավոտյան ձերբակալել են Երեւանում եւ Շուշիում «Նարեկացի» արվեստի ինստիտուտի հիմնադիր Նարեկ Հարությունյանին՝ հարկերից խուսափելու մեղադրանքով: Մեկ օրվա ընթացքում նրան մեղադրել են, հարցաքննել եւ մեղավոր ճանաչել առանց պատշաճ ընթացակարգերի: Հայաստանի կոռումպացված իշխանավորները փորձում են վախի եւ անիրավ ազատազրկման միջոցով զրկել Նարեկին եւ նրա ընտանիքին գույքից եւ փողից: Ովքեր ճանաչում են Նարեկին կամ նրա անձնուրաց եւ կարեւոր գործը, որը խրախուսում է արվեստը, ինչպես նաեւ աջակցում է երեխաներին եւ հաշմանդամներին Հայաստանում եւ Արցախում, բոլոր նրանց համար հեշտ է հասկանալ, թե ինչու է Հայաստանի իշխանությունների այս քայլը խայտառակություն:

Խնդրում ենք ձեզ օգնել ազատել Նարեգին, նաև որ նա կարողանա շարունակել իր հրաշալի գործը: Մենք չենք կարող նրա նման մարդկանց կորցնել, քանի որ նրանք են, որ առաջ են տանում մեր երկիրը և աշխարհը: Մենք ստորագրահավաք ենք կազմակերպում Նարեկացի Արվեստի Միությունում, և եթե դուք գնտվում եք Երևանում, խնդրում ենք ձեզ այցելել կենտրոն և աջակցել Նարեգին: Շնորհակալություն!

Հասցե: Վարդանանց 16/1, Երեւան, Հայաստան
              Ֆեյսբուք: www.facebook.com/FreeNareg
              It's a shame...
              Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
              ---
              "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

I guess he must have gotten on somebody's bad side....
                "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
                  I guess he must have gotten on somebody's bad side....
                  Probably, as he's been a great contributor to Armenia/Artsakh and has done a lot of humanitarian work. Jailing such good people will just sour the relations between such investors and Armenia.
                  Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
                  ---

Comment

Very strange thing to happen seeing that I'm sure he has friends in high places. I mean, it was only a couple months ago that he received the Ministry of Culture's Highest Honour Award...

http://www.naregatsi.org/new/news/ne...ews_detail=205

It would be like punishing someone like Ghadaffi who was trying to help and improve the lives of Africans.... oh, wait...
                    Last edited by KanadaHye; 12-12-2011, 07:07 AM.
                    "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
                      Very strange thing to happen seeing that I'm sure he has friends in high places. I mean, it was only a couple months ago that he received the Ministry of Culture's Highest Honour Award...

http://www.naregatsi.org/new/news/ne...ews_detail=205

It would be like punishing someone like Ghadaffi who was trying to help and improve the lives of Africans.... oh, wait...
                      He probably also has enemies in high places. Remember how certain wealthy diasporans have been turned off in giving money to Armenia because of such issues (e.g. the very rich Kirk krikorian).

Given, Armenia is so reliant on diaspora investments, it's like a shot to the foot that such things happen and such issues are present.
                      Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
                      ---

Comment

Working...
                      X